Search Unity

Multiplatform Runtime Level Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FreebordMAD, Jun 10, 2014.

1. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

You're welcome. Don't hesitate to ask more question ;)

2. Banksy

Banksy

I could not view the menu system so I changed the canvas Render Mode to "Screen Space - Overlay " Now I can see it... ( this was due to the VR headset turning on in the background whenever I run the scene.. ) My V.R headset would keep switching to V.R mode & I could not see the MRLE menu system. (even though the VR headset is in a different scene)

New Problem: with "screen space overlay" on, I can see the terrain but can't navigate around to paint on it.. I did notice that the brush's area of influence is visible but only on the very bottom of the screen... I need to be able to rotate and move around in the space.

note: I can also click the settings button and navigate around in the Dungeon Example but not the Pure Terrain Example. Pure Terrain Example the camera is fixed.

If anyone has any thoughts on this.... please free to post your advice

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  3. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

I was not able to reproduce the problem. Besides, I don't have a VR headset.
    Please tell the exact steps including:
    1. Unity version.
    2. Which settings did you change to enable the VR mode? I hope it can be simulated without a headset...
    3. Could it be that your VR controller is handling the rotation? What happens if you turn your head? Which VR controller scripts do you use?

4. Banksy

Banksy

I'm doing a few tests now...
    I'm under the impression it might be something in my VR scene as I've tried an example VR scene from the VR asset i was using ( its a free DL from the asset store named "VRTK" ) There's approx. 20 vr example scenes in there + a VR simulator as well for those without a HTC Vive headset.

I'm running Unity 5.4
    I'm not running V.R mode when I play MRLE. but for some reason my headset kept starting whenever I ran MRLE which would cancel the main camera movement in MRLE

my Mission: I want players to start the game in normal windowed mode ( not VR mode ) so users can personalize their play environment. Later when they hit play the scene that loads will have a VR camera... not the normal "main camera"

Q. using MRLE, is it possible to add a VR camera as an object to the scene .. at the start position

I've added the "LE_Object" script to my V.R camera to add it to the scene but having difficulty adding an image icon as image path is not recognized.. hhmmm ?

I'll do another test now... and do a write up on my findings.

BTW - if anyone reading this post is interested.. MRLE is a great Unity5 asset.. it's flawless and runs really smoothly. My problem lies in the fact I'm attempting to run a virtual realty scene which utilities a stereoscopic camera.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  5. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Yes, in your level you will call LE_SaveLoad.LoadLevelDataFromByteArray somewhere in your code.
    This method returns the LE_SaveLoadData class, which contains all loaded level objects (DOC). You can use a placeholder for the camera position in the editor. Then just search for this placeholder and move your VR camera to the position of the placeholder. This is exactly what the ExampleGame_Game script does:
    Code (CSharp):
    2.                 if (p_levelData != null && p_levelData.Length > 0 && p_levelData[0] != null)
    3.                 {
    4.                     // load level data (we do not need p_levelData[1], since it contains only meta data for example the level icon)
    5.                     // however, you might want to load it as well when you add other information to it for example the level time
    6.                     LE_SaveLoadData level = LE_SaveLoad.LoadLevelDataFromByteArray(
    7.                         p_levelData[0],
    8.                         TERRAIN_LAYER,
    9.                         TERRAIN_TEXTURE_CONFIG.TERRAIN_TEXTURES,
    10.                         TERRAIN_TEXTURE_CONFIG.TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZES,
    11.                         TERRAIN_TEXTURE_CONFIG.TERRAIN_TEXTURE_OFFSETS);
    12.                     // call this function to destroy level editing scripts and improve performance
    13.                     LE_SaveLoad.DisableLevelEditing(level);
    14.                 }
    15.                 else
    16.                 {
    17.                     Debug.LogError("ExampleGame_Game: No saved level found!");
    18.                 }
    20.                 // find player start position
    21.                 GameObject goPlayerStart = GameObject.Find("Objects/PlayerStartPosition");
    22.                 if (goPlayerStart != null)
    23.                 {
    24.                     PLAYER.transform.position = goPlayerStart.transform.position + goPlayerStart.transform.up;
    25.                     Destroy(goPlayerStart); // not needed any more
    26.                 }
    27.                 else
    28.                 {
    29.                     Debug.LogError("ExampleGame_Game: could not find a PlayerStartPosition GameObject!");
    30.                 }
    You can also do it this way, but then you will have a rendering VR camera, while you are in edit mode. Maybe this is the problem that causes your camera movement bugs. Please try the first approach and tell me if it solves your problems.
    To add an icon, just make an icon yourself and put it into a resources folder. Then set the Icon Path property of your LE_Object script to the right resource path.

6. Banksy

Banksy

I've added the LE_object script to one of my prefabs ( an RC Car ) I placed it in the objects folder as per your instructions. I also tried creating an icon for it but it does not show up & yup the path is correct.

I notice in the objects folder all objects are .assets not prefabs.

7. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

You can automatically render the icon. Just leave the Icon Path property empty, then select the object map with your new object and hit Render Missing Icons (twice if it does not work on the first run).

Besides, make sure to mark your icons as sprites!
    If you still have problems, then please send me two screenshots one of the icon and one of the LE_Object script.

p.s.: you would help me a lot if you could post this in a review on the Asset Store!

8. derkoi

derkoi

Hi Denis, I've been using your Runtime Level Editor but I've hit an issue. I have gameobjects that the player adds to a level and then needs to fill some data on a script on the game object. I have a menu pop up when they place or select the object, that's all working fine but I don't know how to save the data so it loads when they load the level. Any suggestions please?

9. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Hi Steave, I'm glad to hear that you use the MRLE! Which game?

Please take a look at the documentation of the level meta data.
    http://www.freebord-game.com/index....time-level-editor/documentation/add-meta-data

Things that you will need to do to save the meta data in the editor:
    1. Register for LE_EventInterface.OnCollectMetaDataBeforeSave
    2. [EDIT] Use LE_Object.UID to identify your objects
    3. [EDIT] You can save your data with p_args.LevelMetaData.Add(obj.UID + "PropertyName", [YOUR DATA]);

Things that you will need to do to load the meta data in the editor scene:
    1. Search for "//lookat player" in the code of ExampleGame_Editor class
    2. Use LE_SaveLoad.LoadLevelMetaFromByteArray to load your meta data, then apply it to your already loaded objects

Things that you will need to do to load the meta data in the game scene:
    1. Search for "//findplayerstart position" in the code of ExampleGame_Game class
    2. Use LE_SaveLoad.LoadLevelMetaFromByteArray to load your meta data, then apply it to your already loaded objects

Please don't hesitate to ask for more details if something is unclear in the steps above!

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  10. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks Denis, I'm using it for my fishing simulators :)

I've followed your instructions and it's working great.

One other thing I noticed, The icons and screenshot for the level seem washed out. Could this be as I'm in linear mode?

11. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

I'm glad it works! Can you please show some screenshots of the washed out level icons?

12. Banksy

Banksy

Sorry been offline for a week.. I was hit by a car ( hit and run ) riding my bike home from work.
    Ended up having surgery on my legs and arm. I'm still in a fair bit o pain actually :(
    Police are checking CCTV in the area ( I've got my leg raised on the desk so I reach my PC.. so am making do but can't sit here for long )

I'm still very interested in sorting out my dilemma regarding getting the running with my V.R scene... Once I do a few more tests I'll post my findings

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  13. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Sorry to hear that! I hope you will get well soon without permanent injuries!

14. Banksy

Banksy

I'm trying to turn off the HTC Vive Camera so it doesn't interfere with the MRTE

I read a post stating that a "screen space overlay UI" does not show up in the headset but will show up on screen.

I'm wondering how I could add MRTE to a screen space overlay ?

15. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Simply change the Render Mode of the Canvas object to Screen Space - Overlay, see screenshot below:
    upload_2017-3-4_18-11-21.png
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UICanvas.html

Attached Files:

16. Banksy

Banksy

Just to let you know where I'm at in regards to setting MRTE up in V.R

I've managed to get the editor running in V.R mode rather than on a monitor.

I simply imported my V.R scene into the MRTE Editor example scene & added a few components to allow the Vive hand controllers to click on MRTE menu items so I can now point and click on buttons & scroll menu items with the Vive hand controller.

Problem: Currently both the "terrain " & "object " lists are empty.

When I imported my VR scene I had to scale down the MRTE Canvas by approx. 800% so it would sit well in the V.R interface. So now I'm wondering if the icons for objects and terrain painting are being added but reside at a much higher scale.

Any thoughts on this ?

I'll update here again shortly.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  17. Banksy

Banksy

So I'm using the correct folder address structure since I'm using the MRTE Editor example scene.

18. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Good to hear that!

Please open up all objects in the hierarchy and make some screenshots.

Which properties did you change to scale the canvas?
    Please make some screenshots of your current setup (canvas inspector).

Is your recovery going well?

19. philmzo

philmzo

I also made it work using:
    UI camera > no camera
    + Canvas = worldspace

I have objects and terrain menu filled up, and I can drag, but no way to drop anything unto the scene. It's still behind the menu. May be related to worldspace.

Take care Banksy. I also bike in my city (we sold our secondary car) and always think of runaway cars. Hope they'll find it in your case.

20. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

;)

Can you please make a screenshot (if it is only on Vive then a photo through the lens... or use the Unity screenshot feature)?
    Have you created a terrain, you must have a terrain to drop objects in the default editor setup.

21. philmzo

philmzo

Here's a screencast I made using only one VR camera, canvas is at root:

Side note: just before making this shot I successfully dropped the capsule on the terrain. I don't know how :)

22. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Thank you for the video! Interesting how the menu is behind the terrain, this should not happen at all. Are you sure that your canvas is rendered by the main camera?

Please log what happens in the LE_GUI3dBase.SetCursorPosition method.
    Could it be that Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay(p_cursorScreenCoords) is not working in your Vive setup?
    Please check if the results make sense or log m_cursorScreenCoords, m_cursorRay, m_cursorHitInfo and m_isCursorOverSomething and send me the log.

23. Banksy

Banksy

Hey guys.. @philmzo great news.

I'll take a look shortly and make applicable changes.

I'm using a free Unity asset called VRTK toolkit. There's approx. 30 example scenes that are really useful.

BTW - how can i upload an image ( says I require a url )

24. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

upload_2017-3-13_6-47-12.png
    Just make a screenshot and press Ctrl+V while the cursor is in the reply mask.

25. Banksy

Banksy

A screen grab test

26. Banksy

Banksy

upload_2017-3-13_21-37-28.png

I feel it better I create and upload a video to youtube that will better explain my current setup.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  27. dworm

dworm

Hello I have a question, is it possible to drag and drop objects directly in the scene, like you do in the editor without placing them on the terrain ? It seems to not work like that

28. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Yes, it is possible to do that by placing an invisible object with a collider inside your editor scene. For example, you can create a cube object scale it to X=1000 and Z=1000 and remove the renderer component. This way this invisible cube works as a virtual terrain/ground.
    To explain why the MRLE differs from the Unity Editor here: it is designed to be operated by players without any developer experience. I want to prevent floating objects from being easily created. Hence, all objects stick to something, e.g. a terrain. However, if the user needs a floating object, then he still can drag and drop it into the scene and then move it with the move handles.
    Can you explain in more detail what your use case is?

29. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Looks like you have UI in the middle of the screen. Objects cannot be dropped onto UI...

30. dworm

dworm

Yeah great I will try this approach.
    My case is about an aerial game, some items are classic (buildings, trees) but many others are virtual game items like powerups but all in the air, even spawn point ofc must be in the air.
    Also as side note I might want to get rid of the terrain editor eventually and use a standard prebuild of mine, do youthink it is worth to integrate it into the saving or the better approach would be to load it separately in the editor and the game ?
    Thank you.

31. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Doing this is easy. There are two approaches for this:
    1. Wrap all your powerups with an empty game object and give the powerup visuals an offset on the Y axis inside their wrapping object. Attach the LE_Object component to the wrapper. This way all your powerups will have the same offset and all your levels will gain consistency.

2. If giving each powerup a certain offset is not specific enough, then register to the LE_EventInterface.OnObjectDragged event and give your powerups the right Y axis offset depending on some logic like which ground is it placed on, which part of the level is it placed on, etc... See detailed docs on this here: http://www.freebord-game.com/index....cumentation/level-object-placement-limitation

The terrain data is by far the biggest part of the saved file (ca. 90%). Besides, MRLE does not support tree painting and details painting. Hence, it would be better to use a Unity native terrain inside a prefab. This prefab should be dropped in the editor and game scene. This way the terrain data is in your game build and the level files are small. Besides, you can use advanced terrain features like tree or details painting.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  32. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

I think that the question below is very general, hence I move it from an e-mail conversation to the forum:

Sure, this can be easily done, just do the following steps:
    1. Setup your terrain in the editor scene, e.g. LE_ExampleEditor (flat or with different textures, trees and details)
    2. Assign it to the CustomDefaultTerrain property of the LE_ConfigTerrain component in the LE_LevelEditorMain object
    3. Run the scene and see how the terrain editor tab is shown first, there is no create terrain tab

Feel free to check the docs on that here: http://www.freebord-game.com/index....ime-level-editor/documentation/custom-terrain

33. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Fab thanks!

FreebordMAD likes this.
  34. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Not sure if this has been answered before, but how can I move the position that the Camera Perspective Gizmo, I want to position it in the top centre.

Thanks in advance!

35. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Simply set the CAM_GIZMO_RIGHT_PIXEL_OFFSET to something around 500 pixel:
    upload_2017-3-23_22-44-40.png
    Don't forget to rate the MRLE if you like it ;)

Greg-Bassett likes this.
  36. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Like it? I love it!!!

Thanks for quick answer!

I will leave a glowing review shortly!

37. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

I now need to move the Gizmo down a bit, can you add a CAM_GIZMO_TOP_PIXEL_OFFSET please?

How can I change the code myself, save waiting for you to add this?

38. ghosh_shourya

ghosh_shourya

Hi There,
    Is there any way to focus on an object without pressing the F button ?
    I need to set the sceneview camera pivot directly on an new game object. Something on this line ...
    EditorApplication.ExecuteMenuItem("Edit/Frame Selected");

Greg-Bassett likes this.
  39. ghosh_shourya

ghosh_shourya

Or. anyway I can set the pivot to a point of my choice from the start of the game?

Greg-Bassett and HakJak like this.
  40. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

First of all, sorry for the late support to everyone. I had no internet at home and got no notification e-mails from the forum on my mobile...

I will put this on the list! Should be avalable in the next release (it will be HUGE).

Simply change the code lines below, which you will find in LE_LevelEditorMain:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. m_perspectiveGizmoRect = new Rect(Screen.width-LE_GUIInterface.Instance.delegates.GetCameraPerspectiveGizmoRightPixelOffset()-rectW, 0f, rectW, rectH);
    3. ...
    5. m_cameraPerspectiveGizmo.RelativeScreenPos = new Vector2(1f-relativeSize*0.5f/cam.aspect-rightMenuOffset, 1f-relativeSize*0.5f);
    Thanks for your super awesome review by the way!

Simply call LE_GUIInterface.OnSelectedObjectFocusBtn directly after creating a new object, see comments in the LE_GUIInterface class for more details. You can register to the LE_EventInterface.OnChangeLevelData and listen for LE_ELevelDataChangeType.OBJECT_PLACE event type. This way you will be notified when a new object is placed.

You will find the code below in the ExampleGame_Editor class, simply change it to what you need:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.                // look at player
    2.                 GameObject player = GameObject.Find("Objects/PlayerStartPosition");
    3.                 if (player != null)
    4.                 {
    5.                     Camera.main.transform.LookAt(player.transform.position, Vector3.up);
    6.                 }
    Don't forget to rate MRLE if you like it ;)

41. pherring04

pherring04

Hello, I'm new to Unity and I've been having trouble implementing a few features in this editor. I'm trying to add teleportation pads into the editor as peaceable objects. I have implemented them by attaching a script that contains a code, and when the player collides with the telporter it seeks out another teleporter with a matching code.

This works just fine, but I'm wanting to allow the user to set the code for each teleporter so they can freely pick and choose how to connect them. I've implemented this feature in the UI, and it appears to work. However, upon saving and reloading the level it seems that the code in the script is reset to whatever the default in the prefab was. Basically, I need to know how to include this code data in the save and how load it when needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

42. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

I see two possible solutions here:

1. Use the level Meta-Data feature (docs: MRLE - Add Additional Meta Data). It will allow you to save strings in a dictionary. You can use the LE_Object.UID to identify objects. This way you can save data for each object in the dictionary by using the object UID. While loading the level you can iterate all loaded objects returned by LoadLevelDataFromByteArray and load your meta data. Your code could look like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. p_args.LevelMetaData.Add("TeleporterCode_" + object.UID, object.GetComponent<YourTeleporterScript>().Code);
    2. Use the variations feature (docs: MRLE - Create/Add/Remove Level Objects - Variations). It will allow to set the teleporter code directly in the built-in MRLE UI. Add 10 empty child game objects to your teleporter object. Give them names like code_1, code_2, etc... Add all those to the variations list. Check which object is enabled to get the code. The currently used variation will be saved by the level editor and loaded when the game is played.

HakJak likes this.
  43. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

44. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

45. Shredsauce

Shredsauce

Hello! I'm having memory issues when loading larger levels in WebGL. Most of the levels cannot be loaded unless they only have a few features.

I did a test in the editor. I loaded a level, copy and pasted all of the instantiated objects into a new scene and was able to load that without any issue in a WebGL build. But when I try to load the level through your level editor in WebGL it spikes and gives me the dreaded "Out of memory" error message. I'm wondering if you have any ideas for possible workarounds.

I was thinking of splitting up the loop in the LoadLevelDataFromByteArray function in LE_SaveLoad.cs so that it somehow gets rid of the garbage created after every object every frame. But that seems pretty messy.

Other than that the level editor is working beautifully on the mobile version of my game Shredsauce! People have come up with all sorts of amazing levels.

46. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Could you please make a deep profile session of the level being loaded in the editor and send it to me (you can export it to a file)? Also, please send me the text file of the level. This way I can get an overview of the complexity of the level and the features used.

Sounds super awesome, it would be super to see this in a review!
    Took a quick look at your game, you have got some very nice animations! I will check your game in details as soon as I find some time. Did I get the right impression that you have no snow trails? You might want to try Snow Mesh Trail Renderer ;)

47. ghosh_shourya

ghosh_shourya

Thanks So much for the support. Really appreciate it.

FreebordMAD likes this.
  48. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

You're welcome! Don't hesitate to ask any questions again.
    If you haven't rated the MRLE yet, a review would help me a lot!

49. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Take a look at the ExampleGame_Game script. This script will instantiate the player at the position of the capsule placed in the level editor. Search for the comment "// find player start position" it is in the Start method. There you will see that the player start position is destroyed and the existing scene object linked in the PLAYER property is moved to the position of the capsule. You have two options:
    1. Replace in the scene the player, which is linked to the ExampleGame_Game.PLAYER property with your vehicle player.
    2. Delete the player and the camera from the scene, then instantiate the right player object (FPS, Car, Plane, etc.) and camera in the ExampleGame_Game.Start method.

Greg-Bassett likes this.
  50. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Thanks, I now have my vehicle working as the player when I Play my scene.

I now need to workout the best way to set this up, as I want to have a number of player objects in the Game Logic section for users to choose from...

Thanks again for your fast support!