Search Unity

Multipass shaders in URP

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by jRocket, Apr 9, 2020.

1. jRocket

jRocket

In the classic pipeline, one could write a shader that could have multiple passes- and each pass would be rendered in-order(as least in transparent queue). I need to do something similar in URP. I have seen the custom render passes, but it looks like you can only insert them at specific points in the pipeline- but I need these passes to render whenever the object will render.

Example
    Object 1 Pass 1
    Object 1 Pass 2
    Object 2 Pass 1
    Object 2 Pass 2

Whereas custom passes will give me
    Object 1 Pass 1
    Object 2 Pass 1
    Object 1 Pass 2
    Object 2 Pass 2

Any idea how I could go about going something like this? I am trying to do traditional object outlines/silhouette(with zwrite off), but I need them to be sorted.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I use the renderer features thing. It lets you control shader passes visually, does this help? It's a core feature of URP. You add a forward renderer and then control stencil/passes/etc when you want them to be drawn.

MsMaciek likes this.
  3. jRocket

jRocket

That's what I was looking at, but as far as I can tell, you can't have it draw something right after or before another object is drawn. You have to do them in passes.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I do this for stencil portals, basically just abuse layers and remove the layer for sorted objects from the default list of objects to render, then you can fine grain it.

AlejMC likes this.
  5. jRocket

jRocket

Okay, I could make separate render features for each object I want to do this to- but then, if I am understanding you correctly, I would need different layers for each object. And I am limited to <32 layers. :(

Is there a way to tell a render feature to just use a particular Renderer instead of filtering by a Layer Mask?

6. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

Impossible. Not only in URP itself, but in any custom SRP. You only option is using multi-materials.

INeatFreak likes this.
  7. jRocket

jRocket

Do you mean by multi-materials? Where some triangles of an object have different materials? In my case, I need the entire SkinnedMeshRenderer to render twice, one after another. I thought about adding a second SkinnedMeshRenderer to a child GameObject, but I think that would inefficient as the skinning would get evaluated twice, probably isn't guaranteed to render in-order, and it adds complexity.

8. jRocket

jRocket

Here is the effect I am going for, which was pretty simple to make in the classic pipeline with multipass shaders-

Is this really impossible to do in URP, or any scriptable pipeline? If so, why it URP more limiting than the classic pipeline? I thought it was supposed to be production-ready.

9. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

No, there is no such functionality in SRP api.

Marketing, nothing personal.

tspk91, davidrochin, moatdd and 3 others like this.
  10. jRocket

jRocket

That looked promising, but I just tested it and it doesn't render them in-order. It will render all objects with pass 1 and then render all objects of pass 2, just like using the render feature. :confused:
    I'll try to see if I can manually render these objects out with a command buffer.

11. scotthNM

scotthNM

Hang on. if multi-pass shaders don't work anymore, how do we do meta passes for lightmap support?

12. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

13. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Sorry if late to the party, but since I'm here...
    You don't need a layer per object, if the effect is the same. For instance you can do the outline pass on multiple characters if they are using the same outline effect, with just one pass.

Hope it helps!

DSivtsov likes this.
  14. kkrg001

kkrg001

How can I use 2pass to make a transparent expression considering depth?
    In other words, it is a transparent expression like the left side of the attached image.

15. comomomo

comomomo

Hi kkrg001! I'm trying to figure the same thing out but having trouble passing multiple textures through passes.

Here's a link to a thread you might find helpful for your issue: https://forum.unity.com/threads/question-about-transparency-and-rear-faces.774224/#post-5213051

It was nice when I could write a custom pass and it would just grab the maintexture from the model it was rendering. I'm not clear on how to do something similar in this pipeline without adding more passes.

mishazawa likes this.
  16. chavalo

chavalo

Hey. I ran into some issues with multi-pass shaders using URP too. I made a repository in which I tried my best to explain all the solutions I found to this problem. Some solutions are already in this thread, but I hope that having a project with all the examples will be more straightforward to understand.

And I know this thread isn't recent, but it will hopefully help some people who stumble upon this thread in search of a solution like I did many times. :D

https://github.com/chavaloart/

17. Hysparions

Hysparions

Hello, Trying to get the same effect you show with the armored guys, I wanted to know if you successfuly created a renderer feature that can render those mesh in the right order

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  18. jRocket

jRocket

No, I never got it to work and went back to the built-in pipeline. URP is kind of bad due to this and other limitations, and I would not recommend using it.

spider853, Vacummus and Hysparions like this.
  19. Vacummus

Vacummus

Yeah, not supporting multi-pass is really limiting for things like this. I ended up getting around the limitation by using the URP's Renderer Feature. Going back to the built-in pipeline is not an option for me since it doesn't support the DOTS hybrid renderer (which for the rendering performance (and architectural sanity) is a must-have for my game).

20. Vacummus

Vacummus

I am curious though if anyone knows whether unity will support multi-pass shaders for URP in the future?

21. Vacummus

Vacummus

I know this like a year old, but for anyone that this looking for answers to this kind of question. URP's Render Feature does not work on per object bases. It will apply the shader to all objects for the tag it is filtering by (or if no tag is specified then it will do it for all objects). Good tutorial right here for anyone interested on how to create hull outlines with URP's Render Feature:

Lardalot and Hysparions like this.
  22. Hysparions

Hysparions

Yes but post process outlines do have their limitations, It doesn't work with depth of field, and it makes inner outlines. More over outlines are not depth dependent

Vacummus likes this.
  23. INeatFreak

INeatFreak

Use "LightMode" = "UniversalForward" for the first and "LightMode" = "SRPDefaultUnlit" tag for the second pass. But this will only work for two passes and no more.

EDIT: "SRPDefaultUnlit" is drawn AFTER the "UniversalForward" tagged pass regardless of the pass write orders in shader file.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Pass { Name "Pass A"
    2.     Tags { "LightMode" = "UniversalForward" }
    4.     // ...
    5. }
    7. Pass { Name "Pass B"
    8.     Tags { "LightMode" = "SRPDefaultUnlit" }
    10.     // ...
    11. }

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    mishazawa, caogtaa, AlejMC and 5 others like this.
  24. ElliotB

ElliotB

I define a pass in my object shader for rendering outlines as:
    Code (csharp):
    1.         Pass
    2.         {
    3.             Name "OutlinePass"
    4.             Tags {
    5.                 "LightMode" = "Outlines"
    6.                 "DisableBatching" = "True"
    7.             }
    To draw only objects whose materials use this pass in a SRP feature I use
    Code (CSharp):
    1. static ShaderTagId OutlinesShaderTagID = new ShaderTagId("Outlines");
    3. ...
    5.             var sort = new SortingSettings(renderingData.cameraData.camera);
    6.             var drawingSettings = new DrawingSettings(OutlinesShaderTagID, sort);
    7.             var filteringSettings = new FilteringSettings(RenderQueueRange.all);
    8.             context.DrawRenderers(renderingData.cullResults, ref drawingSettings, ref filteringSettings);
    The "Outlines" is just a name, and you can call it whatever you like for your shader.

25. Noors84

Noors84

Hey. This used to work for me but but I'm on URP 10.4.0 and now it looks it's the other way around.
    SRPDefaultUnlit renders before UniversalForward.
    Or i'm going crazy.

GameDeveloper1111 and deus0 like this.
  26. deus0

deus0

Thank you so much for this solution (Lightmode tags)

27. ergexh

ergexh

Hey bro. I want this "Object 1 Pass 1 Object 2 Pass 1 Object 1 Pass 2 Object 2 Pass 2" rendering order, but my multi-pass shader performs just like your Example "Object 1 Pass 1 Object 1 Pass 2 Object 2 Pass 1 Object 2 Pass 2". I don't know if this result is caused by opaque/transparent render queue selection or batcher or anything else. Could you share your shader settings? thx

28. ergexh

ergexh

Perhaps I'm using later version of URP so the rendering order has changed. Fine. I just solved it by using RenderObjects Feature to retrieve the order "Object 1 Pass 1 Object 2 Pass 1 Object 1 Pass 2 Object 2 Pass 2" which I intend to play.

29. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

so..
    how do we do

Object 1 Pass 1
    Object 1 Pass 2
    Object 2 Pass 1
    Object 2 Pass 2

in URP?

Naomi-DevOps likes this.
  30. GameDeveloper1111

GameDeveloper1111

Thanks to this thread I was able to render two passes with one shader in URP 10.5.1 in Unity 2020.3.14f1. In this example, the shader colors the object green, even if the object is occluded (allowing the object to be seen through walls); and then the shader colors the visible portion of the object red.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader "Unlit/TwoPasses"
    2. {
    3.     SubShader
    4.     {
    5.         LOD 100
    7.         Tags { "Queue" = "Transparent" }
    9.         Pass  // Executes this first
    10.         {
    11.             Tags { "LightMode" = "SRPDefaultUnlit" }
    13.             Cull Off
    14.             ZWrite Off
    15.             ZTest Always
    17.             CGPROGRAM
    18.             #pragma vertex vert
    19.             #pragma fragment frag
    20.             #include "UnityCG.cginc"
    22.             struct appdata
    23.             {
    24.                 float4 vertex : POSITION;
    25.             };
    27.             struct v2f
    28.             {
    29.                 float4 vertex : SV_POSITION;
    30.             };
    32.             v2f vert(appdata v)
    33.             {
    34.                 v2f o;
    35.                 o.vertex = UnityObjectToClipPos(v.vertex);
    36.                 return o;
    37.             }
    39.             fixed4 frag(v2f i) : SV_Target
    40.             {
    41.                 return float4(0,1,0,0);  // Green
    42.             }
    44.             ENDCG
    45.         }
    47.         Pass  // Executes this second
    48.         {
    49.             Tags { "LightMode" = "UniversalForward" }
    51.             CGPROGRAM
    52.             #pragma vertex vert
    53.             #pragma fragment frag
    54.             #include "UnityCG.cginc"
    56.             struct appdata
    57.             {
    58.                 float4 vertex : POSITION;
    59.             };
    61.             struct v2f
    62.             {
    63.                 float4 vertex : SV_POSITION;
    64.             };
    66.             v2f vert(appdata v)
    67.             {
    68.                 v2f o;
    69.                 o.vertex = UnityObjectToClipPos(v.vertex);
    70.                 return o;
    71.             }
    73.             fixed4 frag(v2f i) : SV_Target
    74.             {
    75.                 return float4(1,0,0,0);  // Red
    76.             }
    77.             ENDCG
    78.         }
    79.     }
    80. }

hyagogow and Metthatron like this.
  31. Niter88

Niter88

I know this thread is being kept alive for a while, and since it is one of the only places I found an coherent answer for that I will keep things here.

I've posted a question on this Thread just like this and later I've posted the only two ways I found for doing it (after some hours of research). It contains details anyone shall be able to understand so I hope it may help some of you.

@comomomo and @jRocket if you are still struggling with that, have a peek in that link.

Thanks everyone who participated along this thread, I wouldn't be able to find a way without you.

comomomo likes this.
  32. jRocket

jRocket

For my case, I needed more precise control over the rendering order.

What I was looking for is-

render pass 1 of all renderers in character 1.
    render pass 2 of all renderers in character 1.
    render pass 1 of all renderers in character 2.
    render pass 2 of all renderers in character 2.

Just using rendering tags will not work because it only renders either all objects with that pass at once, or renders one pass after another for each object.

In built-in, I accomplished this with CommandBuffer.DrawRenderer() to basically tell the renderer to manually draw renderer x with pass y, but I haven't figured out a way to do that in URP. It seems like such a simple things, but I fear it might not be possible. I don't understand why Unity had to diverge so much away from how things were done in built-in, but no longer work in URP/HDRP.

My example here a little more complicated with multiple hull outlines, ztest always, and usage of stencil buffer.

outlines.gif

Niter88 likes this.
  33. Niter88

Niter88

wow, so pretty game.
    Yeah, on my implementation it renders pass 1 for all objects and then pass 2 for all. Accounting for ZTest.
    The implementation of a highlight shader is much easier than what I was looking for (if it is what you want and not only an example), people had made great tutorials since 2020.

Using ShaderGraph for highlight in 2D
    and
    Per Object Outlines with shadergraph (3D) with edge detection (this is a simpler one). This guy has an entire series on outlines, like this one with screen shader.

URP is modern and amazing tool, may be worth to create a learning project to test things. Cheers

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  34. lingdu_y

lingdu_y

yes, I maybe found why this happened.
    upload_2022-6-13_20-9-55.png

35. kruskal21

kruskal21

I have been doing some experimenting to see if I can get the same effect from jRocket's post above in URP 12. While I didn't figure out how to interleave passes between rendering objects, I managed to get some pretty nice-looking results by using custom renderer features.

Outlines.png

The objects are just single-mesh unity primitives. The outlines are per-object, and drawn outside of the mesh. For anyone looking to create a similar effect, you can do this by having a custom renderer feature with three custom passes:
    1. A pass using context.DrawRenderers that render objects into a temporary render texture with only a single color channel, you can use a format like R8. This pass renders an arbitrary ID of the object so that they can be differentiated. You can render this pass pretty much as early as you like, I chose AfterRenderingPrePasses. Define an _ObjectID property in your shader and in the fragment function, just do something like:
      return (float)_ObjectID / 255;
    2. A pass using context.DrawRenderers that render objects into another temporary render texture with all RGBA channels. This pass renders just the color of the object outlines. Again, you can render this pass early. Declare an _OutlineColor property in your shader, and do this in the fragment function:
      return _OutlineColor;
    3. A last full-screen pass using Blit that actually draws the outlines. The pass has each fragment sample object IDs from neighbouring pixels using the temporary texture from pass 1. If any neighbouring pixels' object IDs are different, then test using the camera depth texture to see if they are closer to the camera, if yes, then sample from the temporary texture from pass 2 to determine the outline color. To prevent transparents from overwriting the outline pixels, you will also want to write to SV_Depth in the fragment function using the depth value of the neighbouring pixel.
    Unfortunately as of right now all of this is only possible if you are willing to write code shaders. But something like this is definitely possible with URP.

FelipeCavaco likes this.
  36. noirb

noirb

@kruskal21 : How did you pass the ObjectID to the shader? Are you able to do this from within the RenderPass directly?

37. kruskal21

kruskal21

I did it by having _ObjectID as a normal material property, and having each game object set its own value according to a global variable that stores the last-used object ID. This means that technically each object will have a different material, instantiated at runtime.

38. ElliotB

ElliotB

This approach is pretty similar to what I do in ProPixelizer, but there's a few extra tricks I thought worth sharing here. Like you I render the outline IDs very early in the frame. I follow with the outline testing before rendering opaques. As the outline test is available before rendering opaques, it's trivial to have a custom shadergraph node that samples the results of the outline testing, allowing flexibility to let individual shader graphs change their color according to whether an outline is detected - it's cool because you can easily add hatching, time varying outlines, per-object colors etc.

upload_2023-4-13_15-28-37.png

All this node does is sample the 'outline result' texture. I store different types of outline test in different channels - e.g. the ID test used for silhouettes in one, results of a depth/normal test in another, etc.

FelipeCavaco likes this.
  39. hyagogow

hyagogow

Thanks to you I could create an Unlit Outline Shader in URL. Thank you!
    Here it is in case anyone wants it: https://www.paste.org/125520

40. hong1991

hong1991

Your condition was what i want. Could you share your settings, if you still remember it. thx!