Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Multidimensional Array -- saving as a field on a Component?

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by Berzee, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Berzee

Berzee

This came up while I was looking into A* pathfinding for tilemaps. I wanted to loop through a Tilemap2D's tiles, create a 2D array out of them, and then save the resulting array into a component so that I would not need to rebuild it every time I need to run pathfinding. But I don't see an appropriate field type for saving a multidimensional array, and possibly that's by design?

If that's not possible (or even if it is) I could also just rebuild the array each time, or write the pathfinding algorithm to work directly with the 1D tiles array, or save the 2D array as a global variable in the pathfinding system. Anyone have thoughts on which approach is most in the ECS spirit? =)

2. vincismurf

vincismurf

I think you can use a static class to hold the array

Code (JavaScript):
    1. namespace game {
    2. export class GameManager {
    3. public static map: number[] ;
    4. }
    5. }
    access via game.GameManager.map;

I belive

3. timmehhhhhhh

timmehhhhhhh

i was surprised to see that arrays work on components at all, as these are not currently allowed in 'non-tiny' ECS components (even fixed arrays were removed in favor of dynamic buffers). i'd second @vincismurf and consider putting this at the system level.

you will probably find similar recommendations in the main ECS sub-forum, like here.