Search Unity

Multicast send callback failed?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by yy_1999, May 3, 2014.

1. yy_1999

yy_1999

When I use unity3d free with a wp8 game,I use unity3d‘s LineRenderer,the "Multicast send callback failed,RemoteAddress:Windows Networking HostName.RemotePort:54997.Exception:No such host is known" appears.
    but it is ok on desk computer.
    I do'nt know what to do.

Thinks.

vikas-pal likes this.
  2. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

These happen when you don't have network capabilities and/or autoconnect profiler.
    If there's something else, please let us know.

3. yoDon

yoDon

We are also seeing this on Windows 8.1 Windows App Store builds. I *think* that it is an issue where Debug Release builds throw this error but Master builds do not (but I haven't fully confirmed this yet, I just know we've had a success with a master build followed by a failure with a release build).

We see the same port 54997 described by yy_1999 and an IP address of 225.0.0.222. If we run the app in the debugger, Visual Studio reports C++ exceptions in UnityPlayer.dll. Our own networking code (which doesn't use port 54997 or multicast UDP to 225.0.0.222) is working correctly but Unity is continuously spraying error messages in red text onto the user's screen and throwing exceptions internally when the user tries to run the app.

We see the error spew on screen in our submitted app and we see both error spew and thrown exceptions when running in the debugger. I believe our most recent store build was a "release" build, which passed cert but completely fails to work, while our previous build was master and worked. Trying another master build now.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    vikas-pal likes this.
  4. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

It looks like you have selected "Development Build", possibly also "Autoconnect Profiler" when building from Unity, but in VS solution you don't have enabled network capability.
    You get no error in Master build, because it does not have profiler code.

5. yoDon

yoDon

@Aurimas, I'm confident that I did not check Development Build in the Unity Windows Store build settings (I confirmed that several times while trying to track down this issue). Also, the app itself uses Client Networking so at least that much of the network capability is authorized in the VS solution.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't given a checkbox for Autoconnect Profiler in the Unity Windows Store build settings but I can't confirm that (I'm not on that machine at the moment). I am however certain that if it was visible I would have not checked it.

To raise a more fundamental point, I understand there are subtle differences between the three build configs and reasons why one might need Release as distinct from Debug and Master, but Release seems to be the "it works on my machine" configuration that runs successfully on the developer's machine and passes WACK and store cert but fails to run anywhere but on the developer's machine. Are you really net helping developers by providing an "it works on my machine" config with a name that sounds like it should be used for releases and that passes WACK and cert but fails to run on any other machines?

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  6. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Multicast Send callback failure is probably coming from the profiler code inside Unity engine.

One of the differences between Release Master config, Release config has profiler enabled it, while Master is not.

In other words, use Master config, that way you shouldn't get "Multicast Send callback failure" on any machine.

7. dejantom

dejantom

Yup, I can confirm that. We have problems only with Development builds from Unity and devel/release from VS.
    Can we hope for this issue to be fixed with the next version? (We use devel builds for QA)

8. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

There's a partial fix for it, where the message won't be spammed.