Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi udims support

Discussion in 'Virtual Production Previews' started by GeniusKoala, Jun 30, 2021.

1. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

Hi!

We are starting using Unity for cartoon TV series in addition to Maya VRay. We really love using real time to make new kind of productions! But one thing we struggled with on our first episode was the details for large objects like satellites. Usually we have multiple maps to have more details for close up for example. We can't do that since Unity does not support multi udims currently.

I know some workarounds like having one set of textures per mesh but this force our graphists to change how to work. As I said we have now both realtime and traditionnal productions. The best would be to create an asset for traditionnal and directly use it in Unity but it's not possible since Unity does not support multi udims.

For the moment we have a "Unity version" of each asset with just one udim. It's not ideal since :

- the quality is not as good as it would be with multi udims
    - it needs more efforts and time
    - it creates confusion for artists
    - it rises the size of our stockage since each asset is duplicated
    - it needs more effort for asset management

I would like to know if you thought about a solution for this need. If Unity wants to step in Films and TV productions, this feature would be really nice since it would unlock many more possibilities. Please think about studios working with traditionnal and who wants to do the transition to real time.

As the R&D engineer for real time production, I would love to test in Unity some traditionnal assets for current productions we have to convince my colleagues to use Unity more but I could not do it just because Unity does not support multi udim. We can't afford to ask an artist to transform every asset made with multi udims to one udim...

Deleted User likes this.
  2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hey @GeniusKoala thanks for raising this point. At present, we don't have a solution for UDIMs, though it's a feature that's certainly on our radar. I've discussed this with our engineers and they say that, for now, what you're doing is the best workaround we have.

Apologies that I can't offer an answer that includes more/better features, but better you know the situation than not.

3. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

Hi @marc_tanenbaum!

Have you got any news about UDIMs support for Unity HDRP? As I already mentionned we have several productions and all have multi UDIMs since it's for movies and high quality TV series.

4. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Nothing new to share for now, I'm afraid.

5. Sulaiman12

Sulaiman12

so there is no any UDIM support sad

is there any possibility to create UDIM material by custom shaders?