Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi scene occlusion culling

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by Grainofsalt, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Grainofsalt

Grainofsalt

Hello!

We have this level with 10 scenes loaded simultaneously in Additive mode.

In 5.3, we were able to bake occlusion on 1 specific scene for all loaded scenes. There was an issue where Unity would duplicate any cross-reference instance, but once the duplicates were deleted, it worked!

We could then check out the scene and submit occlusion.

In 5.4, cross-reference duplication has been fixed (cool!) - but occlusion cannot be baked anymore with this kind of setup (not cool!). We get this message, along with 1 warning per cross-referenced instance.

"Cross scene references are not supported: 'SceneSettings' in scene [scenename] has an invalid reference to [instancename] in scene [scenename2]. This reference will not be saved in the scene."

Is there any workaround? This is quite a major blocker for us as our FPS dropped from 100 to 40.

We would really like to avoid remerging all the data in one single scene, since we are 15+ users working simultaneously on that level. Also, it would explode our Light baking times.

Many thanks!
    Fingers crossed.

2. Mads-Nyholm

Mads-Nyholm

Unity Technologies

Xarbrough and Grainofsalt like this.
  3. Grainofsalt

Grainofsalt

Yes!!!

It worked :D I was able to add Allow/Prevent buttons in my scene manager's inspector and now I can bake & save again.

Thank you so much :)

4. doublegumbo

doublegumbo

Is there a way to do this in 5.3? Not sure I want to upgrade to 5.4 just to have this functionality. Or is it on by default?

thanks,

-g

5. Grainofsalt

Grainofsalt

@gumbomasta - Yep, in Unity 5.3, cross scene references are not blocked at all. My only advice for occlusion baking in 5.3 is to watch for duplicated game objects in a setup where multiple scenes are loaded additively.

Sometimes you have to restart Unity to see the duplicates appear.

(I'm not a 100% sure this happens outside a source control though- could be related to Perforce.. I'm not sure)

6. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Setting EditorSceneManager.preventCrossSceneReferences does not work at all in beta 13.

Submitted an issue (786243) about this as in our current project it is now impossible to have Occulusion Culling working. The beta is therefore unusuable.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  7. Grainofsalt

Grainofsalt

@alexandre.fiset - Any news on this issue? The fix I did in b11 now doesn't seem to work anymore. We're going to try in b13 as well.

8. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

In Beta 13 it doesn't work at all. Now waiting for Beta 14 :p

9. Mads-Nyholm

Mads-Nyholm

Unity Technologies

Ignore the EditorSceneManager.preventCrossSceneReferences flag. This is an issue with the occlusion culling system.
    Will get back to you when I know it is fixed.

10. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We are working on adding support for multi scene occlusion culling baking into 5.4

11. Bishop311

Bishop311

Hi there,
    I'm working with Grainofsalt on this project, and we would like to have an estimate on to when this would be fixed, as we really have an important presentation coming. Would that be this week ?
    As a workaround, any option to export 5.4 projects as 5.3 ? Right now loading our project in 5.3 crashes (to be expected).
    Thanks

12. Grainofsalt

Grainofsalt

@Mads Nyholm - Thanks! By the way, I entered an issue on the tracker: 787726

Like Bishop311 said, we have a very important presentation coming up - any update on your ETA for landing this fix would help us figure out a plan B, if necessary :)

Thanks!

13. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Well I'd suggest not relying on Unity betas for your presentation. You should simply never move your entire project to a beta unless you have a lot of time in front of you before showing up the game. Then you should use version control or backup your project so if anything happens you can always revert.

I doubt Unity will ever make it possible to open projects on older version of the engine as it makes no sense at all.

hippocoder likes this.
  14. Grainofsalt

Grainofsalt

Smart advice, Alexandre... Smart advice.

We are on source control and the update was needed for us- we wouldn't have done it otherwise.

We have a plan B anyway- I just wanted to see if the ETA would fit with our schedule.