Search Unity

Feedback Multi-platform (Quest and steamVR) in the same project?

Discussion in 'VR' started by chilton, Feb 23, 2023.

1. chilton

chilton

I have a VR app I've been maintaining over the last four years, and I support every major VR headset and platform. Quest, Oculus Desktop, SteamVR, and WMR.

But for the longest time, that's come at a very steep price of maintaining one app in one project, and it switches systems on demand. Looking at where I spend my time, about 50% of my time is spent fixing incompatibilities between the systems. I'm doing it right now. This latest round of Steam updates has held up a Quest game launch for over a MONTH. Yeah I know, it shouldn't do that. That shouldn't be possible. And that's why I'm writing this.

This might not be the best way to do this.

Do you have any suggestions for building and maintaining a cross platform app or game?

Thank you,
    -Chilton Webb

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

If you build on OpenXR you should be able to export to all platforms. Maybe you do need an offset per controller type since some have a slight offset

Coltonics likes this.
  3. chilton

chilton

Have you personally had success with that route?

4. DevDunk

DevDunk

Yep, my gameplay is done via VR Interaction framework and I can export to SteamVR, Oculus (maybe Windows MR, but no headset to test it with), quest 2 standalone, and Pico headsets standalone with openXR!
    You don't have the platform specific integrations like knuckle per finger tracking, application spacewarp, late latching, etc untill Unity themselves support it tho, so depends what you need