Search Unity

multi object model ok for character?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Unlimited_Energy, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Unlimited_Energy

Unlimited_Energy

Hi, I am using maya to create my models and I have multiple object for my game character that are not one mesh. I will have separate parts of my main character model that each have there own uv mesh. Will this cause any problems in my game or is there anything I should consider. My main character Is made of complex geometry so it needs to have separate objects with separate uv meshes, just not sure if this is possible to have all the objects of the game character work as ONE object in the game.

I have tried looking up many hours online before I posted, I cannot find an exact explanation.

2. Unlimited_Energy

Unlimited_Energy

3. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Check the free "unity-chan" asset in store, it has 10+ Separated parts.

4. Unlimited_Energy

Unlimited_Energy

ok, so Im fine then. How dose that work tho. In my game the boat has separate objects since its complex geometry, I painted the uv maps. Now do I have to do anything in maya or mudbox before I export the file to unity? do I have to do anything special in unity for those objects on my boat to all stay in tact on the model. Nothing is animated besides the motor on the boat. I guess, since Im new to all this i was wondering how unity will know all these seperate parts of my model and seperate uv maps of the objects on teh boat will all be "one"

5. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

You probably figured this out already but I'll answer anyway. If the file you're importing has different objects, they will all be grouped under one empty game object in Unity, so they can be separate but together. So basically you just drag and drop the fbx file into Unity. Then if you wanna move the entire boat you move that object in the hierarchy under which all the parts are grouped. Its way simpler than it sounds.