Search Unity

Multi - object editing is not supported

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by MrClumsyboi, Oct 24, 2021.

1. MrClumsyboi

MrClumsyboi

Hi Unity, I never had this problem before. I'm new to Unity kinda! I always come to Unity and leave it again because of reasons. So, I want to do Procedural World Generation, I'm following Sebastian League's videos and in his second episode he starts coding. At some point in the video he creates a custom editor to make a button pop-up in the inspector and he does it fine. I did this like 10 times and it worked fine but now it says multi - object editing not supported. And I'm mad please tell me how to fix it. I'll send you the scripts.

Attached Files:

2. MrClumsyboi

MrClumsyboi

I don't know how I'd fixed it nevermind

3. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Anger is not super-useful in software development.

However, googling may turn up surprisingly useful results.

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 7.46.10 AM.png

kadir_yuksel likes this.
  4. Bunny83

Bunny83

Well, the issue is simply that the editor does not support multi object editing and it probably wouldn't make much sense. Your problem was simply that you had selected 2 or more objects with your MapGenerator script attached. You just need to select a single object. As soon as you select multiple objects, any active editor that does not support multi object editing will show that warning / error.

The way the GenerateMap method works, it wouldn't make any sense to call it on multiple objects at the same time since it uses FindObjectOfType to reach out to the MapDisplay script. So multiple instances would overwrite each other. So it's not really an issue in the code but simply selecting multiple objects in the editor.

WaqasGameDev likes this.