Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi GPU Baking

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by James_Initus, Aug 5, 2020.

1. James_Initus

James_Initus

Does Unity utilize multiple GPUs for light baking in a scene?

I am wondering if 2x1080ti extremes will make a difference instead of 1...

thank you

2. James_Initus

James_Initus

3. ali_mohebali

ali_mohebali

Administrator

Let me check with the team and get back to you on this one

James_Initus likes this.
  4. James_Initus

James_Initus

5. ali_mohebali

ali_mohebali

Administrator

Hey @Clonus, thanks your patience. So currently, if you have two cards you can assign a dedicated GPU for the lightmapper. This would lessen the chance of GPULM running out of memory and falling back to CPU. A dedicated GPU will lower the memory pressure and makes sure GPULM wont compete with the editor rendering for compute resources. The details on how to assign a dedicated card for lightmapper is mentioned here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/GPUProgressiveLightmapper.html

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  6. celeronpm

celeronpm

Are there any plans to support multi-gpu setups to increase the VRAM available? For instance, 24GB on a 3090 is barely enough for some scenes, I would like to run dual 3090's for baking.

If not, is the recommendation to move to a larger VRAM setup like an A6000 with 48gb VRAM?

Deleted User and TFGCo2 like this.
  7. darreney

darreney

Hi @celeronpm, may i know if this issue still persist for you? It is very concerning as i'm currently deciding on which laptop to buy that will meet the requirements for gpu lightmapper. Whether to go with one that has 6Gb vram or the other with 4Gb but supports thunderbolt that allows me to connect to an egpu.

I also came across another thread that gave me insight that the gpu lightmapper will make use of system ram when the gpu dedicated memory is maxed out.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/202...gpu-lightmapping-for-the-lts-version.1264151/
    May i know how much ram do you have for your scenario and is it also being maxed out?