Search Unity

⭐ UNIVERSAL DEVICE PREVIEW ⭐ - get a real preview of your game

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WildMageGames, Mar 17, 2017.

1. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hi, I have just sent you a link for an update with the retina display support.

ChristopherMcLaughlin likes this.
  2. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Multi Device Preview & Gallery 1.5.3 has been released on the asset store. :)

Version 1.5.3:
    • New feature: Added support for retina displays for Unity 5.4 and newer.
    • New feature: It is now possible to partially exclude the asset from iOS and Android builds to remove the need for any permission. See the documentation for mode details.
    • The preview and gallery windows have now independent display modes.
    • Improved documentation for iOS and Android configuration.
    • Added several sections in FAQ.
    • (Fix) The preview, gallery and settings windows are now repainted when one setting is changed in any window.
    • (Fix) Image format setting is now visible in FIXED_GAMEVIEW mode.

3. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Hi, Since new phones have top notches nowadays, specially Iphone X, XS, XS MAX, XR.. Does it have ability to preview notch precisely as overlay or something, so we can reposition UI for if phone has notch..

4. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,
    The asset does not have that feature, but it is a good suggestion. I will look what I can do about if for a future update. Thanks.

5. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Multi Device Preview & Gallery 1.7 is out!
    Now with Full Device Preview for more than 40 devices!

/!\ READ BEFORE UPDATING from 1.6 to 1.7

Several files have been moved or removed in update 1.7. It is recommended to do a clean re-install by removing the AlmostEngine folder before importing the update. Do not forget to backup your custom prefabs before doing so. Otherwise, follow the upgrade process described below.

Upgrade Instructions: If you want to manually move and remove the files instead of doing a clean reinstall, do as follow:
    1. Move MultiDevicePreviewConfig.asset to AlmostEngine/MultiDevicePreview/Assets/ Not doing it will result in large build resource files.
    2. Move ScreenshotWindowConfig.asset to AlmostEngine/UltimateScreenshotCreator/Assets/ Not doing it will result in large build resource files.
    3. Move ScreenshotResolutionPresets.cs to AlmostEngine/UltimateScreenshotCreator/Assets/Scripts/Editor/
    4. Remove DeviceResolutionPresets.cs
    5. Remove PopularityResolutionPresets.cs
    6. Remove RatioResolutionPresets.cs
    7. Remove ResolutionDebugPresets.cs

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any issues or questions.

1.7.0 - 13/01/2019
    • (NEW FEATURE)Full device preview for more than 40 devices, including phones with notches.
    • Contains now more than 200 mobile phone and tablet presets.
    • New popularity presets for most used smartphones, steam hardware.
    • New preset collections.
    • Improved resolution list display.
    • (NEW FEATURE) Generate hundreds of multilingual promotional pictures with the composer and batch process.
    • (NEW FEATURE) Create custom presets and collections saved as assets that can be shared between projects.
    • (NEW FEATURE) Display a screenshot thumbnail when taking screenshots.
    • (NEW FEATURE) Simple Localization system to easily localize your game and promotional pictures.
    • Possibility to automatically remove the iOS and Android permission requirements.
    • Automatically add the iOS Photos framework dependency.
    • Support of Unity 2018.3.
    • (Fix) Fixed gameview size on retina displays.
    • (API) Presets are now asset files.
    • (API) Popularity preset are now asset files, referencing preset assets.
    • (API) Moved ScreenshotManager specific symbols parsing to the ScreenshotManager.
    • (API) Moved all extra features to the namespace AlmostEngine.Screenshot.Extra.
    • (API) Gallery and preview windows do not use the ScreenshotManager anymore.
    • (API) Gallery and preview windows new delegates: onUpdateBeginDelegate, onUpdateEndDelegate
    1.6.2 - 16/11/2018
    • (Fix) Compilation issue on WebGL
    • iOS Photo Framework dependency now automatically set for Unity 5.6 or newer.
    1.6.1 - 11/09/2018
    • (Fix) Compilation issue on iOS with photo usage description.
    1.6.0 - 28/07/2018
    • (NEW FEATURE) Customizable ingame gallery to manage screnshots.
    • (NEW FEATURE) Export to separated layers.
    • Customize iOS usage description.
    • Improved API to simplify taking screenshots without the ScreenshotManager. The Screen- shotTaker now only contains the methods to capture screenshots. It can be called directly to capture textures. The sound and export have been moved to the ScreenshotMan- ager script. The SimpleScreenshotCapture is a new static to easily capture and export screenshots from script. See Section 7.1 for more details.
    • Support of Unity 2018.2.
    • New scene example which shows how to capture off-screen scenes.
    • New example scrips to better illustrate the asset possibilities.
    • Improved documentation to better explain the different way to use the Ultimate Screenshot Creator asset.

MoribitoMT and stevenatunity like this.
  6. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Hi,

Quick question. When I go to Devices Config and want to add an existing Resolution, where can I find the pre-configured devices? I don't see them after pressing the "+" on the bottom right corner. There are several "folders" Custom, Default and Collections. But I don't see the predefined devices in any of these I'm on latest 2017 build by the way.

In addition when I pause my game and do a manual Update the screens in the Gallery are all grey. When I stop the game and do the same they show correctly. I tried all 3 refresh modes and it did not help while paused. Is this not supported?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  7. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,

Thanks for purchasing Multi Device Preview & Gallery :)

- Are the folder Custom, Default and Collections empty or do they contains some presets?
    - Do you have any preset asset files in the AlmostEngine/Multi Device Preview/Assets/Presets/... folders? If not, can you try importing the package again?
    - Can you tell me your exact Unity version number? Are you on Windows or macOS?
    - Is is a fresh install of the asset or did you do an update?

Capturing when the editor is pause mode is not possible.
    You can however pause the game (by setting the time scale to 0) using the ScreenshotWindow hotkeys.

8. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Hi,

Please see the pictures for listings for all 3 folders.
    I've tried reimporting the package several times and restarting Unity, didn't make a difference.
    In the Presets directory I see multiple dirs (Collections, Devices, Popularity, Ratios) and when I drill down eventually to say Apple I see different device definitions. Look like scriptable objects to me. In any case they look like they are present but I don't see any in Devices Config window, like in the picture.
    I'm on Mac Unity 2017.4.20f2 Personal (64bit)
    I did a fresh install of the asset no previous installation.

Thanks for the clarification on the pause screen capture. Time 0 works fine.

Attached Files:

9. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

It's working now. I think I know what went wrong. When I initially imported it (fresh import) I excluded the Examples directory. I figured I don't need it. Then I reimported the rest of the folders when it wasn't working and that didn't help. In any case I reimported the whole thing with no exceptions and cleaned before reimport and it looks like it's working fine. Thank You.

10. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Thanks for the details.

So, it looks like the default presets of Ultimate Screenshot Creator are loaded correctly, but not the Multi Device Preview ones.

- Can you try moving one of the asset of AlmostEngine/Multi Device Preview/Assets/Presets/ to the Ultimate Screenshot Creator preset folder, to see if it is detected ?

- Can you try the action Tools/Ultimate Screenshot Creator/Reload all presets ?

- Can you try renaming one of the device preset to remove all the spaces in its name?

11. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Did you still want me to do anything? I think it's working fine now, unless you want to troubleshoot this scenario.

12. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

I am glad it works :)
    No need to try all I asked, it's ok :)

Can you just tell me exactly which folder you excluded for your first import so I can investigate that scenario ?
    (It is supposed to work when you exclude the Examples folder).

13. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Hmm. It was one of the Example folders. Looking at import I see 3 of them but I'm not certain which one it was when I did the import. I'm pretty sure it was only one of these but I'm not sure which. Sorry.

14. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Ok thanks for the details, I will try several scenario.

15. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Just a head up but I think Multi Device Preview might be leaking memory. I left my Unity in play mode and MDP in auto refresh for (few hours 2-3 I forgot to turn it off). When I came back I had to hard reboot my iMac, it was unresponsive and the last thing it showed was that Unity was taking up 95GB. I won't be doing that again (leaving it on while away that is) and don't have time to investigate this but figured I would give you a heads up. Reason I think its MDP is because I've left my game running in editor for hours on many occasions before (couple days back in fact) and never seen this happen, today I used MDP and left it and I got a frozen system. After reboot everything worked fine so I think MDP might be leaking memory somewhere. By the way I don't spawn or newly allocate in my game, it's in prototype state at this time.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  16. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Thanks for the feedback!

You are right, to render the device pictures I allocate a new texture and I forgot to destroy the previous one.

Please add in ResolutionWindowBase.cs, line 410, just before res.m_Texture = texClone;
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GameObject.DestroyImmediate (res.m_Texture);

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  17. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Ok. I've made the change. I'm not planning on leaving the auto refresh on for hours on end anytime soon, but if I see any other problems I'll let you know. Thanks.

18. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Feature idea/request. When creating new collections the process is a bit cumbersome at this time. It would be great if there was a button where user just can click (something like "Collection Management") where they can click and collections tasks, like: Save Current Collection, Rename, Delete, Edit, etc.

WildMageGames likes this.
  19. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Another feature idea for your consideration. User creates their app/game with a method that makes changes to the game based on the device that is runs on. Example of changes could be spacing of elements in the level, different UI layout (think iPhone Notch accommodations). MDP could then call this API as game is running before taking each screen shot. MDP could specify which device it is taking a screen shot for so that game would change and screenshots would be reflective of how the game will truly look like on that specific device.

This thread contains a script that does layout changes for the notch and could be incorporated into MDP for example:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/iphone-x-notch-in-screen.495028/page-2

henriqueranj likes this.
  20. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Thanks for all your suggestions :)

There is already a delegate that can be used to call custom script depending on the current rendered device in the ScreenshotTaker class
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public static UpdateDelegate onResolutionUpdateStartDelegate = (ScreenshotResolution res) => {    };
    But I am working on improving that, and also on taking notches into account.

21. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

NP. Thanks for the great asset.

22. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Multi Device Preview & Gallery 1.7.1 is out!

Version 1.7.1 - 03/03/2019
    • (Fix) Memory leak in auto refresh mode.

23. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hello @WildMage, thanks for the great asset! It is a true gem.

I also have a few suggestions:
    - Currently the Settings contain both project configuration and user configuration in the same asset. This becomes cumbersome to manage when working with a big team and this file has to be ignored by the version control. Otherwise, every developer starts applying changes to the settings when taking screenshots. This happens with the MultiDevicePreviewConfig.asset and ScreenshotWindowConfig.asset.
    - Properly render screenshot for Android notch devices depending on the "Render outside safe area" setting in the Unity Player Settings. (Currently all Android device screenshots are fullscreen, even if the actual builds will use a cutout).

Keep up the great work!

24. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello, thanks, I am glad you like the asset :)

Thanks for your suggestions.
    I did not though about multi user settings, I will see what I can do about it.
    Rendering the device layout with notches was a first step in 1.7, taking into account the safe area is a work in progress for the next update :)

25. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hello @WildMage do you have any updates about the muti-user settings?

Currently we are experiencing quite some troubles with your tool and multiple people working with it in one project with version control. The MultiDevicePreviewConfig.asset file contains both project-wide settings and also user specific paths, which is a bit impossible to manage with version control.

Do you know how long it could take you to separate this ScriptableObject into: one with the Project wide settings, another with user specific settings (which we can ignore from version control)?

26. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello @henriqueranj ,
    I started looking at the settings after your first post, but then I have been out of office.

Can you tell me more about what you want to synchronise and what you want to ignore, and why ignoring the MultiDevicePreviewConfig.asset is not enough ? To me most of the settings are user specific, so I need more feedback to get you the best solution :)

27. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hello @WildMage, my first approach was to ignore the MultiDevicePreviewConfig.asset and ScreenshotWindowConfig.asset, however both the Gallery and the Screenshot Editor tools do not run properly if these two files do not exist. Therefore, I added the files back to version control so other team members could use it.

Instead, could you look into implementing these configs to be automatically generated if they do not exist?

Thanks for looking further into improving your tools!

28. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Thanks @henriqueranj for your answer.

MultiDevicePreviewConfig.asset and ScreenshotWindowConfig.asset were supposed to be created automatically. I just tested and indeed the creation fails, because of a path issue.

I fixed the issue and updated a new 1.7.4 version on the asset store. It will be available to eveyone in a few hours/days.
    I sent you the hotfix in private message so you can start using it right now.

Please do not hesitate to give me some feedback on multi-user use of the asset so I can improve it.

henriqueranj likes this.
  29. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Thank you very much for the quick conversation and support @WildMage !

30. User340

User340

Do you have a supported devices list?

31. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,

The currently supported devices are:

And the list of devices having their image for "real preview" (render within the device):
    Also, note that this list is frequently updated, and that you can add your own devices easily.
    You can also request a specific device to be added.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    User340 likes this.
  32. justtime

justtime

Hi there! Have purchased your asset today !
    Please add Google Pixel 3a, Lenovo TAB 2 A7-20F, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5 SM-T725

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  33. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Thanks for purchasing Multi Device Preview :)
    I will add those devices in the next update :)

34. justtime

justtime

Hi there! Does it possible to get preset via script? I need resolution and dpi.

35. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,

I am not sure about what you want.

If you want to get the current resolution and dpi during a preview update, you can listen to the ScreenshotTaker delegate onResolutionUpdateStartDelegate(ScreenshotResolution res), that is called during each preview update.
    You will find the resolution and dpi infos in the res object.

If you want something else can you please detail me more what you want, thanks.

36. justtime

justtime

I want to get preset resolution and dpi before any update, because i use it for CanvasScaler(before any scripts) setup.

37. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Thanks for the details.

If you want the list of the active resolutions and dpi at any time, you can get them with ResolutionSettingsWindow.GetConfig().m_Config.GetActiveResolutions()

If you want to get them before each update, you can register to the ScreenshotTaker delegate onResolutionUpdateStartDelegate(ScreenshotResolution res).

justtime likes this.
  38. justtime

justtime

Thanks. Also, does it possible to get current game view preset via your api? I found some solution with reflection, but it would be more convenient to use one api =)

39. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Yes, you can use the GameViewController.GetCurrentGameViewSize() static method.

justtime likes this.
  40. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Multi Device Preview & Gallery 1.7.6 has been released on the asset store :)

1.7.6 - 16/09/2019

• Support of Unity 2019.1, 2019.2
    • Updated most used smartphones stats
    • Updated steam hardware stats
    • New devices for FULL preview:
      • iPhone 11
      • iPhone 11 pro
      • iPhone 11 pro max
      • Google Pixel 3a
      • Google Pixel 3a XL
      • Samsung S9
      • Samsung S9+
      • Samsung S10
      • Samsung S10+
      • Samsung S10e
      • Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
      • Samsung Galaxy Note 10
      • Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
      • Huawei P30
      • Huawei P30+
      • Huawei P30 Lite
    • New devices (resolution only):
      • LG G8 ThinQ
      • Motorola Moto Z4
      • Samsung Galaxy A80
      • Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    • (Temporary Fix) Clean preview textures when resolution list is reordered to prevent unmatching devices. A better fix will follow.
    • (Fix) Auto add the iOS dependency to Photo framework.
    • (Fix) Date is now the same for each screenshots of a same batch.
    • Visible ScreenshotManager settings "DontDestroyOnLoad".
    1.7.5 - 21/05/2019
    • Settings for capture delay now visibles.
    • (Fix) Removed deprecated symbol from full device name preset.
    • (Fix) Composer error with null process.
    • (Fix) Automatic exclude from build.

1.7.4 - 04/05/2019
    • (Fix) Automatic creation of config files.

1.7.3 - 03/05/2019
    • Added presets for AppStore and PlayStore.

1.7.2 - 10/04/2019
    • (Fix) Capture screenshot in separated layers.

1.7.1 - 03/03/2019
    • (Fix) Memory leak in auto refresh mode.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  41. MechEthan

MechEthan

Hi, does your asset do anything to help simulate device orientation changes while running in the Editor?

42. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,
    Currently there is no event triggered when the orientation is changed. What kind of usage would you expect ? This may be a feature we could add.

43. justtime

justtime

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  44. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

justtime likes this.
  45. ash4096

ash4096

I purchased this asset couple of days ago and was hoping to see this feature was present. Hopefully, it would be in soon to allow testing in the device preview with Notch devices.

46. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

I am working on it, and it will come very soon :)

47. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hey! The SafeArea feature is now complete :)
    You will soon be able to simulate the safe area within the editor. I also added a SafeArea component to adapt your UI, with unique adaptation constraints.

I still need to do some wrap-up (documentation, video, store update) and the 1.8 update will be available next week.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    junaid109 likes this.
  48. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Universal Device Preview has been released on the asset store :)

1.8.0 - 17/10/2019

• Asset name changed from 'MultiDevice Preview' & Gallery to 'Universal Device Preview'. Folders and scripts have been renamed accordingly.
    • (NEW FEATURE) Safe area simulation
    • (NEW FEATURE) Safe area automatic adaptation layout
    • (NEW FEATURE) DeviceInfo API
    • Improved overall user experience
    • Backup/restore last preview pictures
    • Support of Unity 2019.3
    • New devices with images/notches
      • OnePlus 6
      • Apple iMac
      • Apple Macbook Pro
    • New devices presets (resolution only)
      • Lenovo TAB 2 A7-20
      • Lenovo TAB 2 A7-10
      • Asus Zenfone 5
      • Asus Zenfone 6
      • Honor 20
      • Honor 20 Pro
      • Honor 20 Lite

Upgrade Instructions from 1.7 to 1.8
    Several files have been renamed in update 1.8. It is recommended to do a clean re-install by removing the asset folder before importing the update. Do not forget to backup your custom prefabs and MultiDevicePreviewConfig config file before doing so. Otherwise, follow the upgrade process described below:
    • Rename the AlmostEngine/MultiDevicePreview folder to AlmostEngine/UniversalDevicePreview
    • Rename the file Assets/Script/MultiDevicePreview.cs to Assets/Script/UniversalDevicePreview.cs
    • Rename the file Assets/MultiDevicePreviewConfig to Assets/UniversalDevicePreviewConfig
    • Rename the file Documentation/MultiDevicePreview.pdf to Documentation/UniversalDevicePreview.pdf

User340 likes this.
  49. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,
    all your requested presets are now included in the last 1.8 version :)

justtime likes this.
  50. justtime

justtime

Hi there! I deleted old folder before update. Is it normal, that not all files are selected?