Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our response to Improbable’s blog post (and why you can keep working on your SpatialOS game). Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

MULTI DEVICE PREVIEW & GALLERY 1.5 - get a real preview of your game

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WildMage, Mar 17, 2017.

1. WildMage

WildMage

MultiResolution Preview Gallery v1.5.3
    for Unity 5.0 to Unity 2018.1

Asset store - Documentation - Support
    Making a game that works perfectly with several screen aspects and resolutions is a long and tedious task, especially concerning the GUI. The Unity default gameview can be configured to have several resolution presets, but each UI modification requires the user to check all the resolutions one by one. Moreover, it is impossible to preview correctly devices with different ppi values.

With MultiResolution Previews Gallery, you can easily preview your game in multiple resolutions, aspects, and device physical sizes (ppi) at a glance. No more bad surprises, no more tedious checkings.

This is the very essential tool for developers making applications for multi resolution devices.

This asset will save you a lot of time
    , which you can use to make your game better!
    Features
    • Use the gallery to visualize your game at several resolutions, aspects, and devices (ppi) at a glance.
    • (NEW) Live preview your game on a specific target device in play mode.
    • Preview at the device physical sizes with the ppi simulation, to better scale your UI content. No more too small buttons and unreadable texts, what you see is what you get!
    • More than 120 mobile device presets with their ppi, including the most popular smartphones on the market: Apple, Samsung, Google, HTC, etc.
    • Use the Mobile, Standalone and PC popularity presets, to be sure that your game works perfectly with the most popular resolutions of your target platforms.
    • More than 50 resolution presets sorted by ratios to test all the cases.
    • Easily export screenshots for all Stores (Amazon, Google Play, App Store, Windows Store, etc.)
    • Easily add your custom resolutions and devices.
    • Included: all features of Ultimate Screenshot Creator.
    Wild Mage Games Quality
    • Clean source code included.
    • Detailed documentation.
    • Reactive and efficient customer support.
    Upcoming Features
    • Regular preset updates.
    • More devices presets.
    Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have a feature request.

Videos

Images

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  2. WildMage

WildMage

MultiResolution Preview 1.1 as been submitted to the asset store and is awaiting validation.
    It supports Unity from 4.6 to 5.6 beta.

Version 1.1
    - Orientation is now an independent property.
    - Updated Ultimate Screenshot Creator to 1.1 (included in the package) :

stevenatunity likes this.
  3. WildMage

WildMage

MultiResolution Preview 1.1 is now available on the asset store.

I updated the upcoming feature list. If you have a feature request for the next updates, do not hesitate to contact me.

4. WildMage

WildMage

MultiResolution Preview 1.1.1 as been submitted to the asset store and is awaiting validation.

Version 1.1.1
    - Full support of Unity 5.6
    - Ultimate Screenshot Creator updated to version 1.1.1 :

5. WildMage

WildMage

MultiResolution Preview 1.1.1 is on sale until April 30th: 30% OFF

6. WildMage

WildMage

MultiResolution Preview 1.1.2 as been submitted to the asset store and is awaiting validation.

Version 1.1.2
    • Updated popularity presets to March 2017.
    • 21 new mobile phone presets.
    • Fixed inspector background color in Unity Pro.
    • Improved example camera controller.

7. WildMage

WildMage

The sale continues until May 31st: 25% OFF !

8. WildMage

WildMage

MultiResolution Preview Gallery 1.2 has been released on the asset store.

This version is an important update of Ultimate Screenshot Creator, with a lot of new features!
    You can now take screenshots with UI from all platforms, and it also add your pictures to Android Gallery and iOS Camera Roll!

Version 1.2:
    • Updated Steam hardware popularity presets
    • Updated Ultimate Screenshot Creator to version 1.2:
      • Automatically add the screenshots to the Android Gallery.
      • Automatically add the screenshots to the iOS Camera Roll.
      • New capture mode: FIXED_GAMEVIEW, to capture the game screen on all platforms, including UI.
      • New export mode: PICTURE_FOLDER, to export in the plaform specific picture folder.
      • Multi-display support.
      • Added a message canvas do display a success or failure text in-game.

9. WildMage

WildMage

MultiResolution Preview Gallery 1.2.2 has been released on the asset store.

Version 1.2.2:
    • (Fix) Android picture export folder.
    • Updated Ultimate Screenshot Creator to version 1.2.2:
      • Added support for WebGL.

10. WildMage

WildMage

MultiResolution Preview Gallery 1.3.0 has been released on the asset store, with a lot of new features!

You can now preview your game while playing with the Live Preview!

Version 1.3.0:

In order to simplify the use of the preview gallery, I separated the features of the Gallery Preview from the ScreenshotManager. There are now two distinct managers: the PreviewManager is used by the preview windows for device preview; the ScreenshotManager is used only for taking screenshots. The documentation has been reorganized accordingly.
    • New feature: live preview on a specific device on play mode.
    • New feature: a Preview Window for previewing a specific device.
    • Added scroll area on the Gallery Window.
    • 8 new phone presets.
    • Better API for developers.
    • (Fix) iOS picture export folder.

11. WildMage

WildMage

MultiResolution Preview Gallery 1.4.0 has been released on the asset store.

Version 1.4.0:
    • Updated Ultimate Screenshot Creator to version 1.4.0:
      • New feature: screenshot cutter, capture only a sub-part of the screen.
      • Added support to export to secondary storages on Android.

12. D3m0n

D3m0n

Are there any discounts scheduled? :) Also I wanted to know if iphone x test settings are already available

WildMage likes this.
  13. WildMage

WildMage

Hi,

Yes the iphone X settings are already available :)
    Note that it is also very easy to add your own devices, and that you also can ask me to add some missing ones.

There should be a discount in a few weeks, but I am not sure my asset was properly added to it.

Do you think the asset is too expansive? What price do you think it should have?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  14. WildMage

WildMage

Multi Device Preview & Gallery is on sale until December 8th: 30% OFF
    If you develop for multiple devices, like mobiles and tablets, do not miss this opportunity!

15. revanaii

revanaii

So I've just bought it aaaaand it's not working properly: I can not edit/add/remove resolutions. The gallery does not change.
    Unity 2017.1.0.3f

16. WildMage

WildMage

Hi,

Thanks for purchasing Multi Device Preview :)

Can you tell me more about that issue:
    Is it the resolution list that is not editable?
    Is the resolution list editable but the gallery does not take it into account?
    Did you try on an empty project with the example scene?
    Can you try to follow the Quick Start section on the doc https://www.wildmagegames.com/data/MultiDevicePreview.pdf ?

Tell me exactly what you are you doing so I can try to reproduce that issue.

17. revanaii

revanaii

Ok I've just figured it out: there were 2 PreviewManagers in my scene for some reason.
    It works fine now.
    Thank you for a quick reply and a useful tool c:

18. WildMage

WildMage

Ok great, you are welcome :)

The gallery instanciates a PreviewManager when it does not find one in the scene. If you notice the gallery doing so even if you already have one in the scene, and consequently having two managers, please tell me, I will check why.

19. WildMage

WildMage

Dear customers, there is a small compilation issue with version 1.4.3.
    To fix it, please comment the line 9 of UltimateScreenshotCreator.cs: [InitializeOnLoad]

An update with a fix has been submitted to the asset store and is awaiting validation. Sorry for the inconvenience.

20. WildMage

WildMage

Multi Device Preview 1.4.4 has been released on the asset store.

Version 1.4.4:
    • (Fix) Script compilation issue.
    • (Fix) In editor update locked by WaitEndOfFrame.
    • (Fix) Inspector selected resolutions save.

1.4.3 - 09/01/2018
    • Support of Unity 2017.3.
    • 12 new phone presets.
    • Updated steam hardware popularity presets.
    • (Fix) Device selection memory in preview window.
    • Updated documentation and FAQ.
    • Updated Ultimate Screenshot Creator to version 1.4.3:
      • (Fix) WebGL plugin error.
      • New feature: validation canvas to preview the screenshot before saving.
      • You can now request the iOS gallery authorization when you want.
      • Added the possibility to increase the number or waiting frames in GAMEVIEW_RESIZING, to prevent post effect artefact like temporal anti aliasing.
    1.4.2 - 01/11/2017
    • Updated Ultimate Screenshot Creator to version 1.4.2:
      • (Fix) GameViewResizing in NET 4.6.

1.4.1 - 26/10/2017
    • Support of Unity 2017.2.
    • Asset renamed from MultiResolution Preview Gallery to Multi Device Preview & Gallery. Some folders and scripts have been renamed accordingly.
    • Cosmetic update: logo updated.
    • Updated Ultimate Screenshot Creator to version 1.4.1:
      • (Fix) File name update in burst mode.

21. WildMage

WildMage

Multi Device Preview 1.5.2 has been released on the asset store :)

1.5.2 - 05/04/2018
    • (Fix) Android crash with Unity 2017.3.

1.5.1 - 30/03/2018
    • Changed default hotkeys for Unity 5.0 to 5.2.
    • (Fix) Android crash with Unity 2017.3.
    • (Fix) Removed automatic cameras when custom list is empty.

1.5.0 - 21/02/2018
    Version 1.5 contains several important changes in how to use the plugin. It is recommended to do a clean re-install by removing the MultiDevicePreview folder before importing the update.
    • There is no more PreviewManager prefab, it has been replaced by the Settings Window.
    • PreviewManager hotkeys have been replaced by MenuItems hotkeys. They now works anywhere within the editor.
    • New feature: Preview device resolutions are automatically added to the GameView presets.
    • Auto-refresh now works in edit mode. Other modifications:
    • Support of Unity 2018.1.
    • New feature: Screenshot Window to easily take screenshots in the editor without a manager.
    • It is possible to use prefabs as screenshot overlay canvas.
    • You can now specify a waiting time in seconds between each screen resize in GameViewResizing mode.
    • Several API changes, see the Documentation for more infos.

22. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing this s/w. I've been looking at your s/w and xARM and I'm leaning towards your plugin. However I had a question. How solid is it, have all/majority of bugs been worked out? I'm on Unity 5.6f1 (64bit) Mac. I don't have time to be testing bug fixes so just wanted to ask before I purchase how stable the plugin is.

Thank You.
    Regards.

23. WildMage

WildMage

Hello,

Well, I did all I can to make that asset as robust as possible. When a customer raise me a bug I do my best to solve it as soon as possible; like you can see in the asset reviews on the store for both Ultimate Screenshot Creator and Multi Device Preview Gallery.

On the multi device preview there is actually no known bug, so it should work perfectly :)

There is a know minor bug on the screenshot capture part on Android devices with old SDK, only when the player settings is not set correctly by the developer, on which I am currently working.

I hope I have reassured you, do not hesitate if you have more questions,

Best regards,
    Arnaud Emilien

24. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Sounds good Arnaud. I'll go with MDP. Thanks.

Regards.

25. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

So far it's looking good. One thing I noticed, the Auto refresh setting is not synced with the Gallery Settings (GS) window and Gallery Window (GW). Enable on GW, disable on GS but in GW it's still on. FYI.

Also I had a question. There is a blink on my Scene and Game window whenever refresh occurs. Is this expected? What I mean by that is that the window blinks like it's being repainted with each refresh.

Regards.

26. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

When compiling to device (iOS) I get a linker error complaining about iOSUtils.m.

clang: error: no such file or directory: '/Users/thomassuchecki/tmp/clumsy-build/clumsy-build/Libraries/AlmostEngine/Plugins/iOS/iOSUtils.m'

clang: error: no input files

I've moved the iOS dir with the Utils file to the /Assets/Plugins but am not getting the error above. If I don't want any screenshot functionality in my runtime, is there a way to remove this dependancy completely from my project?

27. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

amazing tool.

WildMage likes this.
  28. WildMage

WildMage

Thanks for purchasing Multi Device Preview :)

- this is strange. I just tested it several times and everything works fine :/ Can you confirm me that you have the version 1.5.2 (in about) ?

- yes this is expected. With Unity you can not render UI outside the gameview, so to create the accurate previews I have to render each of them in the gameview with specific resolutions etc., which creates a blinking.

- Try removing the Plugins folder, and remove iOSPostProcessBuild.cs in Scripts/Utils/Editor it should do the job. If it does not work I can look at a proper way to do it.

Best regards,
    Arnaud

29. WildMage

WildMage

I was able to reproduce the issue. In fact the setting is well synced but Unity does not repaint windows when there is no need. If you click anywhere in the other window it will repaint it and you will see the setting is actually updated. Thanks for the info I will manually call a repaint on those windows.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  30. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Hmm, I tried removing iOSPostProcessBuild.cs, still get the error. In fact I remove the whole plugin, cleared build directory in Xcode and did a clean and I'm still getting references to the iOSUtils library. Is there a setting in Unity where this library is being specified. At this time I can't build for iOS device.

By the way I'm running Unity 5.6.5f1 (64bit) on Mac.

Edit: Ok I created a whole new directory for a new build and that worked. As in I was able to compile for the device without the plugin installed. I'll try removing the iOS..cs file with a new dir and see if it does the trick. Any idea why this is even happening, shouldn't it build fine for iOS by moving the Plugins dir as the manual says?

Edit2: When I remove the iOSPostProcessBuild.cs and the Plugins dir I get these errors in Xcode:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:
    2.   "__AddImageToGallery", referenced from:
    3.       _iOsUtils__AddImageToGallery_m2462700307 in Bulk_Assembly-CSharp_0.o
    4.       _iOsUtils_AddImageToGallery_m3420591291 in Bulk_Assembly-CSharp_0.o
    5.       _TextureExporter_ExportToFile_m3900510639 in Bulk_Assembly-CSharp_0.o
    6.      (maybe you meant: _iOsUtils__AddImageToGallery_m2462700307)
    7.   "__HasGalleryAuthorization", referenced from:
    8.       _RequestAuthAtStartup_Start_m2530595208 in Bulk_Assembly-CSharp_0.o
    9.       _iOsUtils_HasGalleryAuthorization_m2198952795 in Bulk_Assembly-CSharp_0.o
    10.       _iOsUtils__HasGalleryAuthorization_m1930721756 in Bulk_Assembly-CSharp_0.o
    11.      (maybe you meant: _iOsUtils__HasGalleryAuthorization_m1930721756)
    12.   "__RequestGalleryAuthorization", referenced from:
    13.       _RequestAuthAtStartup_Start_m2530595208 in Bulk_Assembly-CSharp_0.o
    14.       _iOsUtils_RequestGalleryAuthorization_m512474017 in Bulk_Assembly-CSharp_0.o
    15.       _iOsUtils__RequestGalleryAuthorization_m4140012953 in Bulk_Assembly-CSharp_0.o
    16.      (maybe you meant: _iOsUtils__RequestGalleryAuthorization_m4140012953)
    17. ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64
    18. clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    I just want to be able to build for the iOS device, if I need the Utils lib for now I'm OK with that, I'll remove it when I'm doing a final build, but when I include it I get the other error I stated before. Is this working for you and just not working for me, or is it a bug?

Edit3: I think using a new dir made a difference, with the plugin installed I now get the following error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:
    2.   "_OBJC_CLASS_$_PHPhotoLibrary", referenced from:
    3.       objc-class-ref in iOSUtils.o
    4. ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64
    5. clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    I don't have the time to be debugging this. Are you not seeing these errors?

I have to tell you. In the editor I'm really impressed with this s/w but compiling for device is completely ruining the experience. At this point I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if there is an issue.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  31. WildMage

WildMage

Hello,

I am sorry you experienced so many issues when removing the plugin from the build :/
    I will send you as soon as possible a version where you can set a flag and comment the code that is not needed.

If you compile with the plugin enabled, on iOS you need to add the Photo framework as a dependency. Select iOSUtils.m and add Photo in the framework list.

32. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Hi,

Ok I think I figured it out. I don't normally work in Xcode much, so am not familiar where/how make necessary changes. I found that under Build Phases in the Link Binary With Libraries I could add Photo.framework. When I did the linker error went away. Just an FYI, but you might want to include those steps in the manual, in case someone else who's not familiar with Xcode (like me) comes across the same issue. I still think having an option to simply not build anything for the target device would be useful.

By the way is there a better way to include the framework? When I clicked on the iOSUtils.m I did not see any place where I could specify the framework.

Regards.

33. WildMage

WildMage

I am glad you got it working :)

To set it more easily when select iOSUtils.m look in the Plaform settings, then rarely used frameworks, and then check Photos. I will improve the documentation for that.

I working on a build free version, I will send you a private message when its done.

34. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Thanks. Not sure if you have my contact info, if you need my email let me know please.

By the way when I click on the iOSUtils.m in the Xcode I don't see Platform Settings:

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 10.52.43 AM.png

35. WildMage

WildMage

That change has to be made in Unity.

36. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Thanks that works. I just assumed (I know...) that it was in Xcode since it's under iOS specific section. With that change it works without issues and no need to modify Xcode.

Also I've received your package and tried it, that also is working. I'm not seeing any issues at this time, hope that's the case. You might want to be more specific in the documentation though. I've been using Unity for a long time and I've never seen a dependancy setting on a library, never ran into it before. Appreciate the introduction.

Thanks for the fast support.

Regards.

WildMage likes this.
  37. WildMage

WildMage

You are welcome. Thanks for your feedbacks, I will improve the documentation for the next version.

38. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

FYI. Suggestion for improvement. Having Update button in the Settings window as well. I find that whenever I need to manually update the Gallery and gallery window is on a separate monitor it breaks the workflow having to go between the two windows to do manual update. Having an update button (perhaps in the GALLERY section) in the Gallery settings would speed things up. If you think it's a good idea, you could think about adding it there.

39. WildMage

WildMage

Thanks for the idea. Note that you can also use the shortcuts from anywhere in the editor to update the gallery and device windows.

40. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

I’ll do that. Thanks.

Edit: I'm impressed. Left a review. Thanks for creating this.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    WildMage likes this.
  41. WildMage

WildMage

I am glad you like it :) Thanks a lot for your review, it really helps :)

42. ChristopherMcLaughlin

ChristopherMcLaughlin

Hey, WildMage

I am having problems with the PPI mode, giving inaccurate results. I have set the PPI relative to my display in the settings and I have selected a device to physically compare sizes. I believe the issue is due to the retina display on the machine. I would appreciate a fix as soon as possible.

Current Setup:
    iMac (Retina 5K)
    Unity 2018.1.0f2
    Multi Device Preview & Gallery V1.5.2

Thanks

43. WildMage

WildMage

Hello,
    Thank you for purchasing Multi Device Preview & Gallery.
    Can you tell me more about:
    - the ppi you set in the settings
    - the devices that were tested
    - the difference in cm between the simulation and the device (if possible with a picture).

Also, until we solve that issue, my advise would be to temporarily set the ppi to matches the physical size of your device. Since the ratio used in the same for all devices, the ppi mode will approximate the other devices.

Best regards.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  44. ChristopherMcLaughlin

ChristopherMcLaughlin

Hey, WildMage

#1 The PPI set in the settings was based on the 2015 5K IMac PPI.
    #2 IPhone 6S / Amazon Fire 8 [6th Generation]
    #3 See pictures bellow.

Thanks

3DD2B743-D4E4-4D67-965D-4D77B57B1932.jpeg 75280630-241C-4617-9435-051B70A9B6FD.jpeg

45. WildMage

WildMage

Thanks for the details, I will investigate.

(Note that on your 1st screenshot you are showing the unity GameView, which is not affected by the ppi simulation. Only the device and gallery windows should be at the good scale.)

46. ChristopherMcLaughlin

ChristopherMcLaughlin

Hey, WildMage

Thanks for the update!

47. WildMage

WildMage

From what I tested it should work, but unfortunately I do not have a retina display to try it myself.
    I will need even more informations:
    - can you confirm me that your current desktop resolution is 5120x2880? The ppi of 228 you entered is only valid in the case you are running at maximum resolution.
    - can you try changing the resolution of your desktop to a lower value and settings a ppi value accordingly (using a ppi calculator), to see if unity handles the editor scaling differently when the resolution is over a high value?
    - do you have any screen magnification enabled on your desktop? I one had an user who forgot he enabled a zoom on its desktop leading to a wrong ppi ratio.
    - can you try changing the ppi settings until the device size approximately matches the real device size, and tell me what is the value you found?
    - can you try the demo example on unity 2017.1 and see if the ratio is still wrong?
    - I know Unity had a lot of issues with retina displays( https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/support-retina-resolutions-in-th and https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/retina-for-os-x-standalone-builds), so maybe they now do an extra scaling, breaking the scaling ratio of the asset. I try find what they do with retina displays and how it affects the editor scaling.

Best regards,
    Arnaud

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  48. ChristopherMcLaughlin

ChristopherMcLaughlin

Hey, Wildmage

Sorry for the delayed response.
    #1 I can confirm that the display resolution is 5120x2880.
    #2 There is an option for larger text scaling [States it looks like 1600 X 900] When Calculated I Get A PPI Of 67.99. Which seems to be close to the devices real value but not exact.
    #3 I am not using any screen magnification.
    #4 I found when using a PPI value of 111 it matches an Iphone 6S [1334 X 750].
    #5 I tried the demo scene and I am getting the same results.

Thanks for your support!

49. WildMage

WildMage

Thanks for your answers and your tests :)

I found an interesting thing on the Unity Editor file EditorGUIUtility.cs:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  /// The current UI scaling factor for high-DPI displays. For instance, 2.0 on a retina display
    2. public new static float pixelsPerPoint => GUIUtility.pixelsPerPoint;
    It looks like all the editor UI has a scaling factor of 2 on retina displays. It means that the DPI to use in the asset should be 228/2 = 114, which is close to the 111 value you found.

I will create a patch to take into account the GUI scale ratio and send you an update as soon as possible.

50. ChristopherMcLaughlin

ChristopherMcLaughlin

Hey, Wildmage

I really appreciate you looking into the solution! I look forward to the update.

Thanks for your AMAZING SUPPORT!

WildMage likes this.