Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MTree - Tree creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mherpin, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Artomiano

Artomiano

maxime should link it.

dan_wipf and mherpin like this.
  2. mherpin

mherpin

I will the next time i update the Asset description !

dan_wipf likes this.
  3. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Have been off the thread for a while. Wondering if Vegetation Studio Support has progressed.

4. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

well as far as i inow vsp support is done and alive

CaliCoastReplay and Baldinoboy like this.
  5. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

6. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

One word: amazing !

dan_wipf likes this.
  7. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

:eek: Bonsai App for iPhone will make a zillion dollars!

Was anyone else sad when the video ended abruptly? :cool:

CaliCoastReplay and dan_wipf like this.
  8. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

well yes.. it’s short but was intended to show in a quick way whats possible.. if i find time gonna drop a video with some cases where you’d use the addon for real...

wetcircuit and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  9. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

well some other good news. we are able to do aswell fern, if you use the no custom plane for leafs, the tris amount is around 350 to 500 tris per fern. compared to speedtree (500 at desktop and 1200 at hero) and blacksmith demo from unity 2500. the left one is made with mtree
    6BC1EE12-8A00-4652-9A1D-410E61120B27.jpeg

10. Artomiano

Artomiano

Looks good. Can you show us a short video with different angles of view and wind animation?

Neviah and dan_wipf like this.
  11. Ozer_Jigme

Ozer_Jigme

Hey, very interested in purchasing this asset, but for creating non photorealistic trees.
    Is there any advantage to using Mtree for that?
    NPR or toon-like foliage?

12. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

if you have some shaders, and you’re not trying to get low poly style, it’s defently a valud solution! wind can be adapted quite quick to a shader, if knowledge is available about cg programming or amplify(can help you out there). any furthere questions / discussion you can ask if you want on discord: https://discord.gg/pqKqazJ

13. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

one of maybe a serial tutorial how to create something in mtree, but depends what the reactions and feed back are

14. Artomiano

Artomiano

Great work. Go up. Next please! ;)

dan_wipf likes this.
  15. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

I believe next will be about Apple Trees, how you could make them.. (bad style, but just for quick showing what's possible)

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-27 um 11.05.47.png

16. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

Very cool! My scene will have several apple orchards and the only decent apple tree model that I have found is the Speedtree one. It would be nice to be able to make my own.

The fern video was/is much appreciated as well.;)

dan_wipf likes this.
  17. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

yes, i’ll do upload/make a tutorial probably tomorrow. want to include some shader i’ve developed for the trees => seasonal shader.

winter: branch no texture, snow if needed,

spring: green fruit and branch with texture

summer: eatable fruit/branch with texture

fall: no fruit and brownish branch

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  18. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

19. Irrgeist

Irrgeist

Just bought the asset => Created a new LWRP Project using Unity 2019.1.4f1 with LWRP 5.7.2.

Imported MTree, then double clicked the LWRP Package in the SRP subfolder and get these errors:

And so on...what am I missing? I tried adding ShaderGraph via the Unity Package Manager, but it didn't help.

20. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

21. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thanks for the video @dan_wipf!

@mherpin, One thing I could really use and why I can not make use of the branch maker yet is normal map input for the leaves and branch stem material and getting a normal map out of the branch maker.

Working on a library of scanned materials, including real scanned leaves and branches. So a normal input for the leaves in this awesome branch maker would improve the extracted branch material like crazy.

22. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Also Gloss and Translucency input as those maps are also being accurately extracted-

AutumnOliveBranchMedium01.jpg

CaliCoastReplay likes this.
  23. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

hm as a fix wouldn't it work to create a new normal map based on the branch texture you've created? anyway the output of the branch editor is 1024x1024 pixels so, it's kind of lower resolution anyway. => have a look at the Picture anyway. might be interesting =)

Branch Comparison.png

Baldinoboy likes this.
  24. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

adjusting the shader to support more input information wouldn't be a problem

25. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

The problem is a normal map program like Knald or Crazybump does an awful job at faking the normal detail from a color map. With scanned maps the detail is real and it really shows even lower detail branches maps.

26. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

That would be awesome! I just find creating good branches by hand to be harder than most other parts of tree creation.

dan_wipf likes this.
  27. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

Hm what you can do maybe is to Setup as usual a Branch in the Branch Editor, save the Branch and re-apply the Normalmaps from the Bark and Leaf in to the Texture Places. => this will give you some different result than just more variety in brightness of the Texture. Aswell if you open the BranchEditor.cs Script. there is a property called int textureSize = 1024; you can increase the Value to get higher Resolution Branches.

NormalTest.png

28. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

That is a good idea for a hack! Thanks! As long as it does not change the sRGB setting when baking it should work.

dan_wipf likes this.
  29. Velo222

Velo222

Hello,

Amazing I had not heard of this asset until now! I'm glad to find out about it. I see it says is supports the high-definition render pipeline (HDRP). Is this correct? I've had to stall progress on some of my games because SpeedTree does not properly support HDRP yet.

If it does support HDRP, which HD package version does it support? I have kind of been locked in to either the HD 4.8 package version for Unity 2018.3 OR the HD 5.7 package version for Unity 2019.1+. I have to use either of those two HD package versions right now because that's all that my terrain shader (CTS terrain system) supports right now.

Thanks for any info. This looks like a very promising asset.

dan_wipf likes this.
  30. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

maxime herpine is on an update for general support of the hdrp pipeline. right now it works with 4.9 cant tell you if downwards compatible. gonna test it. but anyway if you have amplify i think you’re able to port it to any version you want to..(can send you some amplify shader nodes or download seasonal shader which is built in amplify => on github https://github.com/danwipf/MTree-Addons)

Velo222 likes this.
  31. Velo222

Velo222

Ok. I've never worked with Amplify, so I'd have to purchase it and learn the system. That's something I'd have to consider. If you're able to test it and it works with Unity 2018.3 and HD package version 4.8 -- that would be great.

Thanks for the info :)

32. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

yeah sure. but not today ;)

33. Velo222

Velo222

No problem. Whenever you have time.

34. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

that's how the normal looks like if you go the "hack" way as you said:

BranchNRM.png

35. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

HDRP 4.8 does work, as expected (4.8 HDRP and 4.8 SRP Core), used Unity 2018.3.5f1

36. Velo222

Velo222

That's great to hear. Thank you! Definitely considering picking it up then. :)

dan_wipf likes this.
  37. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

I would say the possibility's which the tool can handle are growing. I did some add-ons for MTree and I believe there will be more.. shader quality is improving from each update.. I defiantly recommend you this tool as an alternative to "stinky" SpeedTree..

38. Karan90

Karan90

Does mtree work in VR?

39. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

have a look your self => made with MTree (it’s a single birch tree, exported as game ready object, with simplifyed shader added)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  40. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

LMAO, I believe you mean Birch Tree ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch

dan_wipf likes this.
  41. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

So glad to see this tool being continually supported.

Maxime, I would argue that dan's innovations are becoming necessities for the next version of MTree, if he is willing. :) I have a brutal need for a normal-mapped leaf shader myself.

dan_wipf likes this.
  42. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

Give me a better deal than Quixel and I'd love to buy use rights to leaves like that!

Baldinoboy and dan_wipf like this.
  43. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

oh dear oh dear, i cant blame my mobile for autospelling gonna fix it.

normal mapping is allready supported, or do you mean translucency / Gloss input?

44. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Sorry for the delay. Thought about it and knew it for sure when seeing the screenshot. The normals would not work in this way because the tangent space would not be corrected for the leaves and branches rotation. So each leaf is rotated but keeps the same tangent normal direction, which would break it.

So will just have to wait till there is official map input supported. Can use this method for other maps like gloss and translucency just fine though. Just the tricky normal map.

How does a full free CC0 library sound? Still building the library and not even done testing so will link to this thread when it is ready.

45. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

cc0 library would sound amazing!

for the brach editor, as far as i know it’s some sort of just placing leaves on a texture with a bark. => reproducal on a photoshopish programm. but can not tell you for sure i’ll have a closer look, if i’m correct there’s a shader thing aswell!

46. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

47. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

48. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

@dan_wipf
    Got it working and tested it out. Could not get it to export though. The Export Textures loading bar window pops up but no window to save location pops up and it just hangs there. Am using Windows 10 if that matters.

49. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

Strange. I did remove the Progress bar thing ( Line 171 and 173). => updated Github
    I did test it on Windows 10 2019.1 and on Mac 2018.3.5. (Both worked for me)

Just one thing. I believe you have replaced/deleted the Normal.shader and BranchEditor,cs file and replaced it with the Github file, may force recompile the Scripts will help.(Remove the Progress Bar thing)

50. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Re-Importing after replacing the shader and script got it working! Thanks!

The normals tangent space is not corrected so the normals are off but it might work still. Will do a compare between the blender bake and Enhanced branch maker bake to see how it looks.

Thanks again!

dan_wipf likes this.