Search Unity

MTree - Tree creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mherpin, Aug 31, 2018.

1. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Sadly, there is no script from TreeIt. Moreso, since a personal tragedy I am unable to script or programme due to word blindness hence why I posted to the Dev of this programme. There was/is an interest in incorporating TreeIt and other foliage from different devs into the single shader.

2. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

well i’ve just made an export of tree it, the shaders from mtree work with treeit tree’s but the wind is kind of not exactly what you expect from a tree, without implementing your own shader with treeit we(i) can not help, maybe have a look for other shaders which are around..

3. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

I would appreciate your efforts... Whilst it is good to have variety, I'd prefer to add current foliage to one shader product and wind control. Adding additional tree variances using MTree would be an additional feature to getting more realism.

4. mherpin

mherpin

The issue is that Mtree shaders use information in the vertex colour that are added at the tree creation. Those values drive the wind simulation and AO. Treeit trees don't have any vertex color information I can use for the shaders. This result in a poor wind effect even with a shaders adapted for treeit.

dan_wipf likes this.
  5. mherpin

mherpin

The next version is done, and will be ready for download in a few days as the unity team reviews it !

For those who are interested in buying the asset, the price will rise with the new version, so I encourage you to get it while it is still at its current price.

6. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

Mtree continues to empower my best demos to date...can't wait for the next version!

wetcircuit likes this.
  7. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

I am also starting to consider developing something I badly need in conjunction with MTree...I'd probably call it something like TinyPlant, intended to be for small foliage and groundcover what MTree is for grand old trees and shrubberies!

I'd love to hear the community's thoughts on small foliage needs and best integrations with MTree; I'm almost ready to run some tests on using the Instance Painter from the 3d Game Kit to actually deck out MTree trees with tiny foliage, ivies, mosses etc!

StevenPicard, dan_wipf and wetcircuit like this.
  8. Funkymotha

Funkymotha

Tiny foliage, hell yeah!

I just bought this last night but I haven't had a chance to use it. As a hobbiest I could never justify a speed tree subscription. Enviroment packs don't have a lot of variety and get expensive. This looked like a great solution. Looks easy to use, lods, billboards, awesome.

I bought this to make palms (not exclusively) but just read your comment back in January about leaf meshes. Any update on these or is it possible to make palms without them?

CaliCoastReplay and dan_wipf like this.
  9. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

it’s alive!

10. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Is it possible to make trees grow in realtime at runtime?
    Similar to this deprecated asset?

Thats something I really like

Juexe likes this.
  11. mherpin

mherpin

It seems that importing the asset into a project using Standard render pipeline imports the LWRP version. This is very annoying since I specified on the asset which version is for which RP. I am sorry for the inconvenience, I will contact unity to solve this problem.

CaliCoastReplay and sylon like this.
  12. sylon

sylon

Thanks! Just in time :)

13. sarum

sarum

hey :)

i can't get the shaders to work also with HDRP (i updated everything to the latest as you mentionned) ... all purple.
    i am using Unity 2018.3.0f2

14. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

you mostlikely didnt asign a hdrp profile to unity => did this mistake aswell simply rightclick in the assetfolder and select to create a new HdRp profile and add this in the (i believe) graphics settings to the (i believe) renderpipeline profiles

15. sarum

sarum

i have a HDRP profile assigned already, so this is not the issue ... thanks for the input :)

dan_wipf likes this.
  16. mherpin

mherpin

Are you sure that you are using the HDRP version ? The hdrp version has a shader named Bark_advanced.

If not, send me a message and I will give you the correct version !

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

17. mherpin

mherpin

I am removing the HDRP and LWRP versions from the package for a few days, the time I can figure out how to make the asset store download the correct one for each RP.

If you need the LWRP or HDRP version, send me a message with proof that you own the asset and I will give you a link to all three versions.

CaliCoastReplay likes this.
  18. sarum

sarum

no Bark_advanced .. sending a message .. thanks :)

19. sarum

sarum

your account settings doesn't allow to send you private messages :)

20. mherpin

mherpin

It should work now, if it doesn't, contact me by mail : maxime.herpin@outlook.com

21. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

I was wrong; MTree has leaf mesh support. :) Yes, you can make awesome palm trees out of the box!

22. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

The LWRP and HDRP are such a pain, in my opinion. :(

I mean, yes, cool demos, optimized stuff for mobile, fancy stuff for PC, but I wish it all worked better out of the box.

mherpin and dan_wipf like this.
  23. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

so true, i’ve decided to avoid it aslong as it’s not stable and such p.i.t.a

24. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

Tiny foliage does indeed have different needs than the bigger stuff, just as Maxime has noted!

I've been doing some ProBuilder modeling of smaller plants, with an eye towards keeping polys under 50 tris for some groundcover intended to be placed in the hundreds, and it's very very possible, but I'm nowhere close yet to having a good solution like MTree - trees have very specific shapes, and a specific Platonic form, whereas tiny plants, well, kinda don't.

The little ground cover study here, for instance, is a combination of three things:
    1. Large shrubberies from Mtree (about 500k tris each)
    2. A 10-tri tiny-plant modeled in ProBuilder (the five-leafed plant)
    3. Grass from the amazing and currently free Soft Grass Shader here ( https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/soft-grass-shader-63096 )
    4. An appropriate Substance-rendered terrain texture for the tiniest stuff

(PS - why is Unity's default grass shader so terrible? )

It's amateurish yet for sure, but I feel like it's not too far from commercial quality at the same time, which is much further than I've ever gotten in Unity to date when it comes to this stuff! There are dozens and dozens of small-plant phenotypes so I'd need at least a few different customizable templates, and probably a good instance-painting solution too. But, you know, Unity kinda needs this, so if anyone wants to put heads together on this or on plugin development generally, get at me.

(Sorry for threadjacking you, Maxime and let me know if it's inappropriate - but, I do feel it's revelant, MTree deserves discussion on how to implement associated needs like groundcover!)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    mherpin and dan_wipf like this.
  25. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

i like the idea, having a AAA solution for ground cover!

i think one thing to go is having clustered ground cover => have a look at the book of dead by unity.

they’ve got really really nice vegetation samples!

i’m right now aswell developing a bezier based fence / wall system => procedural mesh or own props is / will be supported

26. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

Everybody loves Quixel Megascans, which was the foliage library used for BotD. xD They are fully photogrammetric, high-resolution, well-optimized assets developed in conjunction with a very powerful and revolutionary 3D scanner which forms the basis of Megascans' body of work. (They also have assets highly compatible with MTree, like branch pictures and so forth.)

They are absolutely spectacular for commercial projects developed and aimed at end-users.

However, I can't use them, work with them or sell them to you as a third party developer. Full stop. Teddy Bergsman will sue my tiny pants off.

That being said, I will certainly take a look as far as inspiration goes - thank you. :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    dan_wipf likes this.
  27. NineCycles

NineCycles

Since the newest Update not a single script works anymore regardless of what version of Unity I try. Any Ideas?

28. praesidenter

praesidenter

Just wanted to say thanks for HDRP support :)

2019-03-15 at 01-39-05.jpg

29. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

That is absolutely nuts, please feel free to keep me abreast of that project! My goodness.

30. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Can the script do a random seed for a whole forest? or is that too much

31. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

That's not a bad idea!

I'd buy me some MForest as an adjunct script that could automatically forest a terrain, preferably with a real GameObject instance layer (since Unity's default terrain object painting is not always the best) that could then be adjusted.

32. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

well that could easily achieved with vegetation studio pro. maybe create one tree, if goodlooking, save it and a whole set of variations to a folder or sctriptable object. in vsp it’s easy to achieve then a forest with biomes

33. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

VSP comes highly recommended and I hope to mess with it one day. It sounds wonderful, for the next level up of Unity projects from where I'm currently at.

Right now, $129 is a little steep for a tool that doesn't come with any actual, original 3D content itself. I don't feel like it's going to save me enough time getting to the next stage in my projects to justify the cost; I put it along with Megascans in a future category that I hope to mess with one day to upgrade my foliage and environment art generally, when and if some of my projects graduate from "tech demo" to "viable commercial project".

I may use it one day for an open-world project; for now I'll probably continue to hand-sculpt my foliage scenes to some extent, at least for prototyping.

dan_wipf likes this.
  34. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

well for randomly painting trees i did this little addon for the terrain component => https://github.com/danwipf/TerrainPrototypeGroupManager

you might be intrested in, it’s about grouping trees and vegetation and paint them nicely on to the terrain, you can toggle groups on and off, as you wish

35. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

@CaliCoastReplay well, I've did a simple Randomizer Script, with some simple parameters = more than just the seed. => saves you from 1 to 10 Randomized Prefabs, of each type you add to the Script. (mTrees must be finish when adding to the Script) The only thing is to bake the trees, it can take some Time...

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-18 um 08.06.18.png

Attached Files:

CaliCoastReplay and sylon like this.
  36. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

hm maybe it’d be good to have first a Preview before saving the randomized tree, so you’d be able to adjust little things, or hit another seed!

37. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi there!
    I've recently discovered MTree and got pretty hyped (is this going to work with Amplify Impostors?).

CaliCoastReplay is already pointing out pretty interesting solutions for the much needed ground coverage, since, at the moment, MTree is, well - tree focusedyou don't say :D

One thing is, I'd love grass to be seamlessly blending with MTree, so I'm expecting MGrass or MGround at some point to fill in the gap :p

But... why is point 3) redirecting me to the deprecated asset https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/audio/ambient/sci-fi/aliens-and-demons-vol-1-630 ? :eek:

38. blacksun666

blacksun666

CaliCoastReplay and NeatWolf like this.
  39. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

NeatWolf likes this.
  40. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

I'm comparing my early tries at ground cover with what's really needed and despairing of serving you all properly on my own. I don't think I'm anywhere close to releasing a real ground cover pack on this any time soon, at least not at the level that's needed to serve as a real adjunct to something as good as Mtree. But I'd really like to foster some discussion of the issues.

Much has to do with the breadth of the problem. Little basic semi-billboarded tiny plants are easy and really cheap to draw, but they don't provide anything close to a real range of good groundcover. I don't know if I'd be comfortable without attempting some kind of a climbing-plants solution, and that may need a better mathematician than I currently am - the problems of trying to do something like a real 3d climbing vine that can go up a terrain onto a wall is head-breaking at my current level.

The best solution would probably have grass integrated, too. Real groundcover grows integrated with grass. The Soft Grass Shader is wonderful and represents a fantastic solution; reaching out to FoggySoft generally as a community is an option possibly? I don't know what the right business etiquette is there. Alternately, I could keep trying to do a decent grass shader in Amplify myself.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I do want to keep trying to put energy into discussing it all. I'd love to hear Maxime weigh in on some of it.

To M. Herpin: Once again I thank you for your brilliant project! You have established yourself with this product release as one of the premier foliage artists working in Unity; you may have to expect a ferocious appetite for whitepapers/bits of wisdom on the "foliage community" establishing itself here!

wetcircuit likes this.
  41. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

I would love to try your scripts. They sound great and instance painting and randomization is a huge part of good foliage. :)

It may be a bit! I have a serious deadline coming up. Thanks for your patience!

By the way - has anyone else tried the upgrade? Is it safe to attempt for existing MTree users? Someone said they'd had a few problems with scripts in the new version?

42. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

CEFAEE1B-6AFD-45A4-A30E-885E2CC45F4E.jpeg did some progress / improvements on the randomizer, it’s an editorwindow now, you can preview the trees you randomize in the sceneview => unloads the scene and opens an new one, with the tree’s you modified, on bake / close window, you’ll be back on the last scene

well, the ui is a bit of a mess, but i’m on it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    mherpin and CaliCoastReplay like this.
  43. DavidBVal

DavidBVal

With mtree, can I put different parts of the trees on different layers?

In particular I need the tops of trees (including all small branches and folliage) to be into a separate layer, so I can disable it during certain gameplay moments.

Does it work well with Gaia spawners?

Thanks in advance, the package looks great.

44. NoSpoonAnim

NoSpoonAnim

still no hdrp shaders in 2.0 by default? i just downloaded latest version and ther is no bark_advanced. do i have to write you?

45. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

he took it off again write a pm to him

CaliCoastReplay and mherpin like this.
  46. mherpin

mherpin

I have had issues with the asset store downloading the wrong SRP, send me a pm and I will send you a link to all three versions.

I have found a way to avoid that problem by putting compressed HDRP and LWRP versions inside the package, so the corrected package will be online in a couple days !

CaliCoastReplay and dan_wipf like this.
  47. NoSpoonAnim

NoSpoonAnim

i just wrote, u got mail from uros@artrebel9.com, you can send links to this address please. eager to try out hdrp :D

48. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

Mtree Tree Randomizer.. almost finished =)

49. mherpin

mherpin

That's absolutely amazing !
    Would you agree to include it to Mtree by default ? :)

dan_wipf and CaliCoastReplay like this.
  50. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

sure :) not finished yet! have you thought about increasing speed, when saving prefabs? havent look through code => maybe unity job’s could be a valid solution?