Search Unity

1. Click here to receive a gift with your purchase of Unity Pro or Unity Enterprise.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

MTree - Tree creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mherpin, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi, Quick request on MTree. Could an option be added to limit how far down the branch a leaf/branch can grow? Not how far up the tree but how far down each branch in a leaves grow settings.

I am using multiple custom meshes on trees and I do not want the larger leaf branches growing at the tip of a branch but instead just want the smaller ones there.

dan_wipf likes this.
  2. nireland04

nireland04

Hi, just checking but can this tool make trees change in realtime or does it have to be done prior to running the game. I want to grow a tree from a seedling up to a full tree and be able to change the speed of the growth based on certain game elements.

3. mherpin

mherpin

Hi @Baldinoboy , this is a really good question ! It is currently developed and should be available with the next version of Mtree, so stay tune :)

Baldinoboy likes this.
  4. mherpin

mherpin

Hi @nireland04 , no the trees must be baked prior to running the game so they can't change realtime, but this is a potential feature for a future version of Mtree, thanks !

5. nireland04

nireland04

Hi @mherpin, thanks for the quick response, I'll keep my eyes peeled!

6. vlastan

vlastan

This is the result i get when i use Nature Renderer's shaders on Mtree meshes.
    upload_2020-10-11_15-16-25.png

7. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

@vlastan
    Natures Renderer is not supported by Mtree.

have a chat with dawie on the discord channel he might can help you out

DEShaders likes this.
  8. colin_young

colin_young

I'd like to be able to produce realistic looking Southern Live Oaks, but I've run into some challenges.

The first is that live oaks often have very long branches that run horizontally for many meters, not straight, but with many bends both up and down. Often they are trimmed over roads so that a large branch arches over an entire roadway.

Next, frequently the main trunk splits in two and then starts the more typical branching pattern, almost as if 2 trees have been merged together at the base. That may in fact be exactly what happened.

Another issue is the spanish moss typically found on them.

The final issue is my complete lack of artistic ability with computers when it comes to nature-type things, but I suspect this problem is probably outside the capabilities of this forum to solve :) Give me a pencil and paper and I can draw things that are instantly recognizable as trees, or a computer and I can draw buildings, furniture, mechanisms, etc. Try to combine the 2 and disaster strikes.

Any suggestions on particular settings to solve the issues that mtree can actually help with? I've included a couple images of some typical mature live oaks, although they don't capture clearly the issues identified above. I'll have to go and get some specific examples of those.
    IMG_20181224_114414.jpg IMG_20181224_112131.jpg

newguy123 likes this.
  9. Andrewleek

Andrewleek

Billboard Shadow Issue:

I think i have found a potential issue/oversight with the billboard shader. I recently bought amplify shader editor and opened up the billboard shader because i was getting shadows in the shape of the quads instead of the alpha of the textures. I found that the OUT_Alpha was plugged into the Occlusion channel instead of the Alpha channel. Switching this fixed things, but I just wanted to check and see if this was indeed an oversight or if there was a reason for having that plugged into the Occlusion channel.

Regardless, hopefully this can help anybody who wants to have alpha billboard shadows.

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 2.07.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 2.06.50 PM.png

10. colin_young

colin_young

Weird issue: I duplicated an MTree object in my scene (total objects in scene are 2 Trees, a cylinder and a plane and an MTree Wind Controller). The duplicated tree has full edit abilities, but the original only shows a trunk and branch function "selector" and when I select either, I do not get the regular edit features. The original tree had more than just 2 function. The tree itself is in the state it was in when I duplicated it, but I obviously cannot edit it. In the console I see:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. Mtree.MtreeEditor.DisplayFunctionsTab () (at Assets/Mtree/Editor/MtreeEditor.cs:387)
    3. Mtree.MtreeEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Mtree/Editor/MtreeEditor.cs:92)
    followed by:

Code (CSharp):
    1. GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced.
    2. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:189)
    If I add a third tree by GameObject -> 3d Object -> Create new MTree... both the new tree and the duplicated tree remain editable as expected. Is duplicate not a valid operation on an MTree?

unityunity