Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MTree - Tree creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mherpin, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi, Quick request on MTree. Could an option be added to limit how far down the branch a leaf/branch can grow? Not how far up the tree but how far down each branch in a leaves grow settings.

I am using multiple custom meshes on trees and I do not want the larger leaf branches growing at the tip of a branch but instead just want the smaller ones there.

dan_wipf likes this.
  2. nireland04

nireland04

Hi, just checking but can this tool make trees change in realtime or does it have to be done prior to running the game. I want to grow a tree from a seedling up to a full tree and be able to change the speed of the growth based on certain game elements.

3. mherpin

mherpin

Hi @Baldinoboy , this is a really good question ! It is currently developed and should be available with the next version of Mtree, so stay tune :)

Baldinoboy likes this.
  4. mherpin

mherpin

Hi @nireland04 , no the trees must be baked prior to running the game so they can't change realtime, but this is a potential feature for a future version of Mtree, thanks !

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  5. nireland04

nireland04

Hi @mherpin, thanks for the quick response, I'll keep my eyes peeled!

6. vlastan

vlastan

This is the result i get when i use Nature Renderer's shaders on Mtree meshes.
    upload_2020-10-11_15-16-25.png

7. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

@vlastan
    Natures Renderer is not supported by Mtree.

have a chat with dawie on the discord channel he might can help you out

DEEnvironment likes this.
  8. colin_young

colin_young

I'd like to be able to produce realistic looking Southern Live Oaks, but I've run into some challenges.

The first is that live oaks often have very long branches that run horizontally for many meters, not straight, but with many bends both up and down. Often they are trimmed over roads so that a large branch arches over an entire roadway.

Next, frequently the main trunk splits in two and then starts the more typical branching pattern, almost as if 2 trees have been merged together at the base. That may in fact be exactly what happened.

Another issue is the spanish moss typically found on them.

The final issue is my complete lack of artistic ability with computers when it comes to nature-type things, but I suspect this problem is probably outside the capabilities of this forum to solve :) Give me a pencil and paper and I can draw things that are instantly recognizable as trees, or a computer and I can draw buildings, furniture, mechanisms, etc. Try to combine the 2 and disaster strikes.

Any suggestions on particular settings to solve the issues that mtree can actually help with? I've included a couple images of some typical mature live oaks, although they don't capture clearly the issues identified above. I'll have to go and get some specific examples of those.
    IMG_20181224_114414.jpg IMG_20181224_112131.jpg

newguy123 likes this.
  9. Andrewleek

Andrewleek

Billboard Shadow Issue:

I think i have found a potential issue/oversight with the billboard shader. I recently bought amplify shader editor and opened up the billboard shader because i was getting shadows in the shape of the quads instead of the alpha of the textures. I found that the OUT_Alpha was plugged into the Occlusion channel instead of the Alpha channel. Switching this fixed things, but I just wanted to check and see if this was indeed an oversight or if there was a reason for having that plugged into the Occlusion channel.

Regardless, hopefully this can help anybody who wants to have alpha billboard shadows.

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 2.07.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 2.06.50 PM.png

Keitaro_Ura and mherpin like this.
  10. colin_young

colin_young

Weird issue: I duplicated an MTree object in my scene (total objects in scene are 2 Trees, a cylinder and a plane and an MTree Wind Controller). The duplicated tree has full edit abilities, but the original only shows a trunk and branch function "selector" and when I select either, I do not get the regular edit features. The original tree had more than just 2 function. The tree itself is in the state it was in when I duplicated it, but I obviously cannot edit it. In the console I see:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. Mtree.MtreeEditor.DisplayFunctionsTab () (at Assets/Mtree/Editor/MtreeEditor.cs:387)
    3. Mtree.MtreeEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Mtree/Editor/MtreeEditor.cs:92)
    followed by:

Code (CSharp):
    1. GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced.
    2. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:189)
    If I add a third tree by GameObject -> 3d Object -> Create new MTree... both the new tree and the duplicated tree remain editable as expected. Is duplicate not a valid operation on an MTree?

11. mherpin

mherpin

Hi @colin_young , sorry for the late answer. I could not recreate the condition of your bug, I created a tree and then duplicated it and there where no problems on the editing aspect. Can you give me more details on the issue please ?

However I have spotted an issue with the ctrl+z on actions on duplicated trees so it will be fixed as soon as possible!

12. colin_young

colin_young

New project: Unity 2020.1.15f1, Standard Rendering (i.e. not URP/HDRP), Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7
    Package Manager -> Mtree: 2.4f0.0 -> Import (import all in dialog)
    Sample Scene, right click -> 3D Object -> Create new Mtree...
    Select Mtree, Add Function -> Add Branch
    Add Function -> Add Branch
    Add Function -> Add Leafs

Duplicate and everything is okay.

Open old project: same issue there still. When I select the "good" tree, I get a total of 10 console errors alternating between the 2 I posted above (5 of each), and the same when I deselect it. When I select the corrupted tree, I get 22 errors and 10 when I deselect it.

My guess is that the data for the problem tree has somehow become corrupted, or something else associated with Mtree since I can duplicate the issue in this specific project. As you can see, the edit controls are not available, but there are more errors in the console whenever I click in the functions area. Seems like it might just be some bad luck, which is unfortunate because I really liked the tree that is giving me grief. I'll have to see if I can reproduce the parameters (or maybe poke around in the raw Unity project file data to see if anything in there makes sense). I did do a lot of playing around with various parameters and combinations of functions, including, likely, a lot of undo operations. I do believe the problem tree is an "original" and not a duplicate as my recollection is that I first saw the problem after the first time I duplicated the tree (so I could play with a copy without destroying the original). But I'm not 100% sure about that.

Thanks for taking a look @mherpin .

Mtree_Problem_Tree.png

13. colin_young

colin_young

So I opened up the .unity project and found this section by searching for the name of my GameObject (found as
    m_Name
    ), then searching for the corresponding
    fileID
    s identified in the
    - component
    group of that object:

Code (CSharp):
    1.   treeFunctionsAssets:
    2.   - {fileID: 1386452177}
    3.   - {fileID: 1860451810}
    4.   - {fileID: 0}
    5.   - {fileID: 0}
    6.   - {fileID: 470378746}
    7.   - {fileID: 1548105015}
    Simply removing the 2 lines referencing
    {fileID: 0}
    seems to have fixed the issue. Haven't tried to duplicate it yet, but at least I've got my parameters back.

My best guess is that those corrupted components were either leaf or split functions, since at some point in the evolution of my tree I did have both of those functions sitting at that level.

14. mherpin

mherpin

Hi @colin_young , it could be an issue with the serialization of Unity. I will definitively do more test on old projects to try and re-create your issue ! In the mean time, it will work if you save your tree as a template and then you create a new tree using this template (instead of duplicating the tree).

15. colin_young

colin_young

Yes, I have to admit that I only yesterday figured out how to save my tree as a template, even though I had been looking for that option all along. Maybe if it hadn't been cleverly hidden right beside all the other template options :)

My best guess about what went wrong is that at some point in all the adding/removing/undoing the serialized data got corrupted and it wasn't re-read until after I duplicated the tree. I have no idea how/when Unity serializes the data (I'd guess when you save, but I've seen some evidence that they are serializing some stuff as changes are made) and no idea when it might re-read things from serialized data rather than an in-memory GO hierarchy. I suspect it's just a weird edge-case that is going to be very, very difficult to reproduce.

16. colin_young

colin_young

Another issue I posted about in Discord. When I have very thick branches (trying to create a Southern Live Oak, Quercus virginiana, hence the ridiculously large branches) and running into an issue where they aren't joining together at the base. See the attached image.

Is there any way to fix this issue? Other than manually with an exported mesh, which I'm assuming is an option.
    Mtree Branch Problem.png

17. colin_young

colin_young

I realize this post is from quite a long time ago, but how does one add different leaf types? As far as I can tell, while I can add multiple leaf functions to a branch, I cannot have a different material for those leaves. So for the inflorescence example, how would one achieve that?

18. spiritworld

spiritworld

Does anyone else encounter a following (Mtree 2.3.0 + Unity 2019.4.14f LTS):
    1. Create Mtree and load bush template & applying material presets so it looks decent
    2. Change leaf count (typing) to anything AAAND bush is gone, zooming close it's a small triangle
    3. Noticing that leaf material has disappeared, only bark left
    4. Changing leaf count, reloading template, switching to another template and back to bush all do nothing (maybe the template is broken now)
    5. Clicking everything and range sliding and retyping the leaf count suddenly bush is back in business.
    6. Change leaf count, and again leafs gone and repeat previous

19. mherpin

mherpin

Hi @colin_young , we now have our documentation on our website https://mtreecreation.com/ and I have added how to create and use template in Mtree. upload_2020-12-8_10-56-24.png
    Have a nice day !

colin_young likes this.
  20. Darren-R

Darren-R

How do I get specular to show up on the shaders? I'm doing jungle foliage and I can't seem to get the shaders to show any specular hit at all. The smoothness has almost no effect on the leaves at all (With no mention of specular, but there is metallic? I'm confused). Love the asset though, just a bit confused about the shader options.

Cheers!

21. MarkPeskir

MarkPeskir

I just bought MTree after many nights crying myself to sleep over SpeedTree not working in HDRP. I installed, added an Old Oak, added Oak base and normal map...and nearly hugged my monitor for what it was showing me. There it was, a simple tree trunk, with HDRP Lit shader giving me a lovely wooden not purple bark.

Reviewing the fanbase comments here, I know I'm in the right place.

HOWEVER...I get this error.

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    2. Parameter name: shader
    3. UnityEngine.Material..ctor (UnityEngine.Shader shader) (at <e414e10bfe5f45729ff122f3359de21b>:0)
    4. MtreeComponent.UpdateMaterials () (at Assets/Mtree/Scripts/MtreeComponent.cs:301)
    5. MtreeComponent.GenerateTree (System.Boolean instantAo) (at Assets/Mtree/Scripts/MtreeComponent.cs:264)
    6. Mtree.MtreeEditor.UpdateTree () (at Assets/Mtree/Editor/MtreeEditor.cs:430)
    7. Mtree.MtreeEditor.DisplayFunctionsTab () (at Assets/Mtree/Editor/MtreeEditor.cs:412)
    8. Mtree.MtreeEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Mtree/Editor/MtreeEditor.cs:92)
    9. UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass58_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at <e020ad89c1af43769f98694c4076cf19>:0)
    10. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)
    I am on Unity 2020.2.0f1, HDRP, using MTree Version 2.4f0.0 - March 19, 2020.

I don't see anyone else reporting this error...is it just me? Easy fix on my end?

22. MarkPeskir

MarkPeskir

Hey, it IS easy for me to fix on my end - and I did it!
    Ok, so like a ton of stuff in HDRP, textures/materials need some hand holding, and this is no exception.
    Make sure you have materials defined for all the elements you want to use:
    upload_2021-1-1_22-32-40.png
    I had to configure Bark Poplar, and add Leafs Poplar to the list.

Then each material has to be changed to HDRP/Lit, and the Base Map and Normal Map reapplied.
    Now I can finally have all the beautiful trees I want!

hopeful and mherpin like this.
  23. mherpin

mherpin

Hi @MarkPeskir , thank you for sharing your experience on this channel, it is actually quite a common issue ! I am happy to announce that a FAQ tab has been added on the Mtree website https://mtreecreation.com/ for every user :) I will add some of the most common issues on it.

24. mherpin

mherpin

Hi everyone! We are working on the next release of Mtree and we would like to know your opinion on some of the features you would absolutely want to see, among others! :D Here is the google form https://forms.gle/m1TCnLZMAbJS3pmH7, it takes 1 minute and it will help us prioritize. If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate. Can't wait to see your answers ! Thanks and cheers :)
    upload_2021-1-6_19-7-37.png

wetcircuit likes this.
  25. netpost

netpost

@mherpin Just bought your amazing asset. I have problem using it in Unity 2020.1 and URP. All the shaders are pink.
    I could not auto convert using the "Upgrade project materials using urpMaterials" in unity. I also tried converting the shaders with the vegetation engine with the same result. Would it be possible to have a step by step (for dummy) way to do it? Thank you in advance.

mherpin likes this.
  26. mherpin

mherpin

Hi @netpost, this is a common issue, here is the step-by-step mini tutorial to fix it:

Sometimes you will face some issues with the shaders, it will looks like the photo below :

You should fix the shaders manually, in Mtree > Shaders, in the folder URP, select the Bark shader and drag and drop it on the Bark shader section of the inspector of a tree. It is the same for the leaf shader.

(example with the Legacy folder)

(Inspector of a tree)

Other tips:
    - be sure to use the Mtree SRP 7.1.8 (because you are using the Unity 2020.1 URP).
    - you can find our FAQ on our Website : https://mtreecreation.com/

Have a great day ! :)

27. netpost

netpost

@mherpin

Thanks for the quick reply. I was able to replace my shaders following your detail explanations. :)

The asset seem to be really powerful and yet quite simple to use which is great but curiously when creating a prefab, only the trunk show with the 4 LODs, the branches and leaves are not rendered. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Also when changing the quality settings or trying to change the vertex colors, the tree function resets and only the trunk is showing. Does that mean that we should ajust those settings before finishing the tree? Uisng Unity 2020.1.17f1

Thanks again for your help!

28. mherpin

mherpin

Hi everyone ! I just wanted to give you a little sneak peek at one of the features for the next release :D what do you think about it ? Enjoy !! ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif roots 7 Jan 21.png ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif roots 7 Jan 21.png

29. mherpin

mherpin

This is weird, let me check on my side if I get the same issue on this version of Mtree, I will come back to you as soon as possible !! :)

30. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

mherpin likes this.
  31. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

was my day one request ;)

Baldinoboy and mherpin like this.
  32. colin_young

colin_young

Baldinoboy and mherpin like this.
  33. mherpin

mherpin

Indeed ! Can't wait to see your mangroves ;)

34. colin_young

colin_young

I'm hoping @Baldinoboy beats me to it...

Baldinoboy likes this.
  35. mherpin

mherpin

Hi everyone :) it has only been a week that the poll What is your most wanted/needed feature ? is available and I wanted to give you a first update on the results ! As of today there are 3 main features emerging but the poll is still open for now so it can change. Don't hesitate to vote if it is not yet the case :D big thanks for those who already voted ! Cheers

Attached Files:

Baldinoboy likes this.
  36. mherpin

mherpin

Hi @netpost , I am coming back to you because I could not get the same errors as you ! All I can suggest is to try again, it really should work on 2020.1 URP. If the errors still occurs, you could send me a private message with a detail of your project (if not confidential) and errors so I could investigate more :)

37. netpost

netpost

@mherpin Thanks for the follow up and quick reply.

Everything works well now. I think I did not understand the installation process. Here's what I did:

I deleted the Mtree asset from my projects. Downloaded it again then I went directly in the Shaders/URP folder where I found the mtree Renderpipeline Asset URP 7.1.8.

I replaced my URP scriptable Render Pipeline setting in ProjectSettings/Graphics with the mtree Renderpipeline Asset URP 7.1.8. you provided and it worked! I did not have to deal with the material and shader replacing using those steps.

I can now save my prefab without any problem.

Thanks again for your quick help! and support! :)

mherpin likes this.
  38. mherpin

mherpin

My pleasure ! :)

39. mherpin

mherpin

Hi everyone ! A quick look at the final results of the poll* What are the features you most need/want in the next release ? *We will be using these results to make decisions on the future releases in 2021. The three most wanted features are : 1-Easier way to add fruits and flowers, 2-Roots, 3-Add forces to manipulate the shape of the tree. Thank you so much for voting ! I will soon communicate on the date of the next release and its features :)

wetcircuit likes this.
  40. jeesty

jeesty

mherpin likes this.
  41. jeesty

jeesty

In Unity 2019.4.16, the inspector values are not changing when I select mtree A, and then select mtree B. Specifically, if mtree A has trunk length 20, and mtree B has trunk length 30:
    1. Select mtree A
    2. in the inspector trunk length will read "20"
    3. Select mtree B
    4. in the inspector trunk length will still read "20"
    5. change any other value in the inspector
    6. mtree B will be altered to have a trunk length of "20"

42. mherpin

mherpin

Hi, I am sorry to hear that, I have just tried and could not reproduce the same error (creating two mtrees, clicking the first then the second and changing its parameters).
    Can you try again in a new scene and give me more info about the conditions of appearance of this error please ? :)

43. Anmorenilla

Anmorenilla

Eii brxs, is there any way to add fruits to my tree? i tried to use two diferent types of leaves, but i dont know how to use different meshes with each leave.

44. mherpin

mherpin

Hi there, it was answered in Discord https://discord.gg/pqKqazJ , maybe you asked the question on both channel ? :)

Here is the answer : we are planning to develop a feature to add fruits and flowers in 2021 so I'll let you guys up to date !

jeesty likes this.
  45. jeesty

jeesty

I apologize that we did not try that right away. We know better, but hoped you would "already know and have a quick fix." Very sorry for presuming on your time. We will attempt it in an isolated project and report back.

46. mherpin

mherpin

No worries, it is the first time I have heard of this issue so if you have more info don't hesitate !

47. jeesty

jeesty

We are tracking it down, and we now see two symptoms:
    1. Switching MTrees isn't updating the Inspect.
    2. The MTree view sometimes destroys itself, losing our entire tree configuration.

Both are, of course, annoying and frustrating. We love MTree. We resent MTree. It might be our fault somehow...

Below are errors we found in Unity's Console window after #2 reproduced just now. Unity 2019.4.16, with MTree 2.4f0.0 targeting Oculus Quest 2. We are now trying to distill a reproducible case:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MtreeComponent.ExecuteFunctions () (at Assets/Mtree/Scripts/MtreeComponent.cs:185)
    MtreeComponent.GenerateTree (System.Boolean instantAo) (at Assets/Mtree/Scripts/MtreeComponent.cs:258)
    Mtree.MtreeEditor.UpdateTree () (at Assets/Mtree/Editor/MtreeEditor.cs:430)
    Mtree.MtreeEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/Mtree/Editor/MtreeEditor.cs:42)
    UnityEditor.Presets.PresetEditor:OnEnable()

Mtree.MtreeEditor.DisplayFunctionsTab () (at Assets/Mtree/Editor/MtreeEditor.cs:319)
    Mtree.MtreeEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Mtree/Editor/MtreeEditor.cs:92)
    UnityEditor.Presets.PresetEditor.DrawInternalInspector () (at <7d90b28560b644ce87b8263efcc36eed>:0)
    UnityEditor.Presets.PresetEditor.DrawPresetData () (at <7d90b28560b644ce87b8263efcc36eed>:0)
    UnityEditor.Presets.PresetEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at <7d90b28560b644ce87b8263efcc36eed>:0)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass58_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at <7d90b28560b644ce87b8263efcc36eed>:0)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Mtree.MtreeEditor.DisplayFunctionsTab () (at Assets/Mtree/Editor/MtreeEditor.cs:319)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass58_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at <7d90b28560b644ce87b8263efcc36eed>:0)

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'BranchFunction' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    UnityEngine.Object.get_name () (at <29ad182faa3f478c9310d6a2e7143c15>:0)
    Mtree.TreeFunctionAsset.DrawFunction (System.Boolean isSelected, System.Boolean deleteButton) (at Assets/Mtree/Scripts/TreeFunctions/TreeFunctionAsset.cs:53)
    Mtree.MtreeEditor.DisplayFunctionsTab () (at Assets/Mtree/Editor/MtreeEditor.cs:387)

GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced.

mherpin likes this.
  48. DGordon

DGordon

Hello,

Before I pick this up, any issues with this on the latest HDRP (2020.2.1f1)? I know you had some sort of wind issue before, is that fixed? Anything else to be aware of?

I'm not looking to wrestle with anything here, just create and use them as needed in the scene ... thanks! :)

Oh, also, does this easily work with megascans leaves/bark? Just curious, since I know the quality that would produce if I could just get trees made with them properly :p.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  49. mherpin

mherpin

Hi there, let me get into this and I will come back :)

50. mherpin

mherpin

Hi @jeesty , I am very sorry to learn that you and your team encountered these issues! I have tried again and could not get the same errors so here is the next step: could you send us by mail the Unity project you used to test (mx.contactmx@gmail.com) ? And also don't hesitate to give us some details such as the platform you are using (Mac, Windows, etc..). We will take time to help you out :) thanks!