Search Unity

MTree - Tree creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mherpin, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Ukounu

Ukounu

I found out just now that crossfading can be enabled simply by adding "dithercrossfade" option at the end of "#pragma surface..." in your Bark/Leaves/Billboard shaders. I did some tests with various trees, and it seems to be working fine. Is there a reason why that option wasn't enabled (you were planning to make your own crossfading effect instead of regular dither, perhaps)?

2. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

mostlikley because we swapped dueto srp companilty from coding shaders by hand to amplify.. and when you have to create like up to 60 shaders it can be that you forgett a tick here and there :/ thanks for letting me know

3. Ukounu

Ukounu

Sorry for posting so many bug reports, but I found yet another major issue, this time with wind.
    In the screenshot below, lighter tree is default Unity tree, while the darker one is a "small tree" from your package. The Unity tree correctly responds to changing wind direction, while MTree ignores it or handles incorrectly (white arrows show the direction where the trees bend). The only time when MTree bends in the correct direction is when windzone is set to 90 degrees. At all other angles bending/animation is wrong (at 270 degrees it doesn't bend at all). Also, wind direction on X-axis (to simulate wind from above/below) is completely ignored (Unity tree handles it correctly).
    Due to this issue, it's impossible to use trees made with MTree for simulating changing weather conditions and realistic wind.
    Untitled-2.jpg
    To be honest, after reading so many positive reviews on the Asset Store, I didn't expect to encounter so many serious bugs and unresolved issues. After paying $60 I expected to get a finished package ready for production, but instead got an early beta/experimental project which can't be used for any real applications. I hope you can resolve these issues as soon as possible.

dan_wipf likes this.
  4. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

please contact me on discord, its easier to solve your problems / detected bugs

5. Ukounu

Ukounu

I don't use discord, sorry, and don't really see why I should contact you on it. I provided already full information about all the issues with your asset, with screenshots and exact description. What else do you want me to say?

Also, these are not my problems, sorry. These are your problems with your asset you sell for money, and they affect all your customers, so it's in your best interests to fix them, I think. If you need some additional feedback from me about solving your problems, feel free to ask in this thread.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  6. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

Ok thank you for letting me know. We’re sorry to have let you down with this! Working on this to fix right now and will come back to you when its done.

Sorry again

dan

mherpin likes this.
  7. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

Unity 2019.3.1f1 HDRP
    Everything looks good in the project, I save as prefab, everything comes out right except the billboards. The billboards come out magenta (tree) and dark blue (background). EDIT: the dark blue matches my camera skycolor, so I think that is related
    So I then made a project with just Mtree in it, set everything up, and got the same exact problem.
    I did not used to have this problem.

Edit: also, this error
    Code (csharp):
    2. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    3. UnityEditor.Rendering.HighDefinition.MaterialPostprocessor.OnPostprocessAllAssets (System.String[] importedAssets, System.String[] deletedAssets, System.String[] movedAssets, System.String[] movedFromAssetPaths) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@7.1.8/Editor/AssetProcessors/MaterialPostProcessor.cs:80)
    4. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    5. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    7. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    8. UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessingInternal.InvokeMethod (System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, System.Object[] args) (at <c10752821eec4acbb89ccd53fbbc5e27>:0)
    9. UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessingInternal.PostprocessAllAssets (System.String[] importedAssets, System.String[] addedAssets, System.String[] deletedAssets, System.String[] movedAssets, System.String[] movedFromPathAssets) (at <c10752821eec4acbb89ccd53fbbc5e27>:0)
    10. UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:SaveAssets()
    11. Mtree.Billboard:Render(String) (at Assets/Mtree/Scripts/TreeBilboard.cs:76)
    12. MtreeComponent:CreateBillboard(String, String, Boolean, Single) (at Assets/Mtree/Scripts/MtreeComponent.cs:342)
    13. MtreeComponent:SaveAsPrefab(Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Mtree/Scripts/MtreeComponent.cs:437)
    14. Mtree.MtreeEditor:DisplaySaveTab() (at Assets/Mtree/Editor/MtreeEditor.cs:239)
    15. Mtree.MtreeEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/Mtree/Editor/MtreeEditor.cs:94)
    16. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

I assume when saving a prefab, a camera is created to take the billboard images. So perhaps something is messing with that camera, just not sure what that would be.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  8. PolarBear5

PolarBear5

Hello,

When can I you expect repairs shaders for HDRP 7.1.8-7.2.1 or instructions how repair :)?

9. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

if everything works fine, i’ll be able to do it this weekend, or monday! what you can do if you have amplify shader editor, open the shaders save it and they can work, no promises.

PolarBear5 likes this.
  10. PolarBear5

PolarBear5

Ok, thank you for the answer!

11. Ukounu

Ukounu

Are you going to fix the issues I reported (leaves not connecting to branches and broken wind)? Do you have ETA for these fixes?

12. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

@Ukounu
    A: For the wind it will approximatly releases next week.
    B: For The Editor stuff theres no ETA at the moment. Doesnt mean we’re not working on it.

C: If you’re unsatisfied with the Product please contact Maxime Herpine for a Refund, if its what you want.

Kind Regards

Daniel Wipf

13. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

@Dobalina
    top card on billboard will come!

Attached Files:

Dobalina likes this.
  14. Ukounu

Ukounu

I have been waiting for a whole month after reporting all the issues - which I think was more than enough to address at least some of these bugs and release a working update. This asset is great for experimenting and playing with in Unity editor, but completely unsuitable for production. I sent a request for refund to your email.

15. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

well..... bye.

dan_wipf likes this.
  16. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

@Ukounu Sorry to hear.

fiy: Just in case you bought the asset in a bundle, then you cant get a refund from us directly.

Kind Regards

Daniel Wipf

17. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

The Complete and final changelog for the comming up Update Mtree 2.3f0! Will be deployed in the next week!

Code (CSharp):
    1. 2.3f0.0
    2. * Fixed Wind directional Issues
    3. * Fixed flipped UV’s on Bark mesh
    4. * Fixed floating Leafs and gap between Trunk and Branches
    5. * Fixed Billboard Z-fighting.
    6. * Fixed HDRP Billboard creation
    8. * Added HDRP Translucency with Diffusion Profiles
    9. * Added new Billboard Types (Single Sided, Double Sided, Topcard).
    10. * Added SRP 7.1.8
    11. * Added Bezier Mode for Tree Manipulation
    13. * Reworked all Shaders (Legacy, LWRP, HDRP, URP).
    14. * Fixed some minor bugs on Demo Scenes

wetcircuit and Baldinoboy like this.
  18. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

I'm using Vegetation Studio Pro to spawn the trees, and I noticed that point/spot lights only work on the trees if I disable GPU instancing. Is there a way to get that working with instancing on (sort of the point of VSP) or is this just a limitation?

19. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

hm i cant tell you what it is, but gonna investigate!

20. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

Mtree 2.3f0 is out!

Baldinoboy likes this.
  21. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

@GoldFireStudios For now a little fix!

Open the leaves shader and search for the line wher this stays:

#pragma instancing_options procedural:setup

now replace or add forwardadd to the line, so it will be:

#pragma instancing_options procedural:setup forwardadd

22. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

Thanks, working perfectly now! Is there any need to re-generate the prefabs after upgrading to 2.3 to get the other updates?

hopeful likes this.
  23. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

i will have a look to remove that!

24. Saylas_Grivz

Saylas_Grivz

What is this? It's because of me? How to fix?

Attached Files:

25. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

those are tree templates, nothing else :) nothing to fix

26. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

@GoldFireStudios Mtree 2.3f0.1 is out!

changelog:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Mtree 2.3f0.1
    3. VEGETATION STUDIO PRO
    4. * Fixed Vegetation Studio Pro Forward integration
    5. * Moved Vegetation Studio Pro Shaders to a separated Package for older Unity Versions and non VSP licence holder
    6. * Updated the VSP Shader Options inside VSP.
    8. EDITOR
    9. * Removed Warning, that the Trees need to be upgraded before using with the Updated Mtree Version.

GoldFireStudios likes this.
  27. SNicolas

SNicolas

Hi! New here... I have the latest version 2.3, HDRP 7.1.8. I was playing a little bit with one of my ferms plants, but I realized there is a very noticeable color variation in the leaves even leaving the texure 100% as a single color. I tried playing with the color sliders with no luck. Any hint/help would be appreciated (everything was fine with 2.2 though, the variation was only a brightness difference in the color not the color itself).

This image shows the issue. The albedo is pure green and I get this yellow hue on top instead of a brightness variation. I also tried to disable diffuse profile from HDRP settings (not recommended, as other assets looks fine) but there was no effect in the plant anyway. This big difference in hue on top stays there.

In short, I would like to keep my plants to a single color, as I had before the update. Thank you.

upload_2020-3-18_13-18-2.png

EDIT: I have another problem with billboards. It looks like the texture does not generate correctly.

upload_2020-3-18_13-27-25.png

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  28. bobAZ2019

bobAZ2019

hi,

bought this awhile back but just got a chance to try it.
    i created an empty URP project in Unity 2019.3.5f1.
    import the MTree asset version 2.3f0.1
    read your documentation.
    installed the URP 7.1.8 per documentation page 19.
    check the Package Manager and it is URP 7.1.8.

run your demo project and voila!! i got a very pretty color of PINK!
    yikes!
    see attachment.

how do i get rid of the pretty color in URP project?

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

29. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

@SNicolas Hi, i just checked and didnt encounter any problems regarding your color problems mentioned!
    But you can try following:
    1. Turn off Color Shifting.
    2. Or if you want to still have the Color Settings on, turn Color Variation to 0. (But i guess you've allready did this)

Regarding the Billboards, a fix is comming today (depends on Unity how fast they are)

Chagelog:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. Mtree 2.3f0.2
    3. EDITOR
    4. * Fixed Billboard Creation on small objects.
    5. * Fixed UI Bug, on Mtree Nodes
    7. SHADER
    8. * Fixed Cull Mode on URP Shaders 7.1.6 & 7.1.8
    @bobAZ2019 Hi. Just checked, of URP works on my end. (did import everything etc). What i can see from your picture is that maybe the materials got broken, which ends in those pinky illustration..

To fix that
    1. go to Mtree/Examples/Materials/Bark select all the Materials and switch the shader to Mtree/SRP/Bark URP
    2. go to Mtree/Examples/Materials/Leafs select all the Materials and switch the shader to Mtree/SRP/Leafs URP

If that doesnt work, double check that you have asigned your Renderpipline Asset to the Graphic Settings

dan

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  30. bobAZ2019

bobAZ2019

above vaccine fixed the flu.
    now, time to go outside and play.

31. Saylas_Grivz

Saylas_Grivz

oh, i'm just got a little confused after unity updating. Nice trees, awesome leaves.

32. SNicolas

SNicolas

I finally fixed it disabling normals override and leaving double sided on with no mirror/flipped faces.

The problem is that this setup produces a bright white color when looking backlighting (translucency). Something is messed up with normals and hdrp I think. Any hints?

Thanks.

33. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

https://forum.unity.com/threads/mtree-tree-creation.548995/page-14#post-5517553
    pretty sure our problems are related. Mine was done in a clean install. Both of ours are rendering the sky where there should be alpha, and the leaves as magenta.

I have not messed with Mtree since, doing other things right now.

34. SNicolas

SNicolas

I reply myself to say that the problem maybe is with translucency. I disabled the diffusion profile again and it seems to not affect the leaves. It looks like the leaves have the default translucency option enabled but not use the profile itself. I attach a couple of images: first one, diffusion profile on. Second, off. As you can see, grass and parchment react correctly (backlight) but not the fern. It looks exactly as the first screenshot.

Not sure if this is the real issue or not, it is a very technical thing for me. As far as I can see, it would be great to have an option to disable translucency in the shader as well, like the HDRP/Lit has. Or maybe even a slider / thickness map to determine how thick the surface is and make it more custom.

@dan_wipf Please, take a look at the shader and see if you can find something (HDRP 7.1.8, Unity 2019.3.5f1, Mtree 2.3). Thank you.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      155.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      174.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    dog_funtom likes this.
  35. SNicolas

SNicolas

I installed and re-installed mtree (clean install) multiple times. From 2.2 to 2.3 and vice-versa. :/

dog_funtom likes this.
  36. SNicolas

SNicolas

@dan_wipf Billboards (at least for a fern plant) still look bad (card visible + pink texture) in latest Mtree 2.3f0.3. / Unity 2019.3.5.f1. / HDRP 7.1.8

I really want to love Mtree, and it surely has tons of great things, but this array of issues are slowing me down a lot. This is not the kind of service I would expect for this price tag. I will ask for a refund in the next days if I see this inactivity to be prolonged further. I hope you understand.

Thank you.

37. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

Sorry to hear this! Before you reach out for a refund, please try this because i just tested it and didnt found a problem regarding Pink BB Texture. Here some evidence https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhpAG9wyQFGQvxtadUBir2y5H_DN?e=ab4qmf

The only thing to get your project going is =>
    1. Delete Mtree Folder
    2. Reinstall Mtree from scratch.

Dan

38. SNicolas

SNicolas

@dan_wipf that's something I already did multiple times (delete mtree folder, fresh install). My HDRP settings are the same as yours. Here is a recent video in my scene. Again, latest version of Mtree, HDRP 7.1.8, Unity 2019.3.5f1.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/197zAP74yviTqD20NmzwaaPyYgOeZfUws/view

Take a look to that saturated green from the plant as well. This is the issue I was talking about above and did not get any reply (diffuse profile not affecting the plant).

If you need more info or whatever, please let me know and I will record anything you may need either for helping me with the issue or just to get a refund. Thanks.

dog_funtom and dan_wipf like this.
  39. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

To be fair, most assets dont even have full HDRP support yet. I am assuming the magenta thing is because of my initial set up with HDRP, in particular, with camera and sky.

dan_wipf likes this.
  40. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

@Ne0mega as i explained to him in PM, unity doesnt support until HD SRP 7.1+ alpha pixels in a render texture. so we built in a pipeline switch which switches when billboard is rendered to the standard pipeline and at the end back to hdrp. it may can occur that on game scenes, and not empty with just the trees that this switch can not fully render the billboard => result is a pink bb.. i will investigate what can possible go wrong in there..

41. SNicolas

SNicolas

Yes, I surely can understand that, but if I buy an asset that says it has SRP support, I expect to have what I read, at least for the core functions. If SRP was still experimental, that feature should not have to be advertised until production state reached. That is not fair from a consumer point of view.

Anyway, I am on pm with Dan. Let's see if we can overcome those issues.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  42. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

I'm not 100% sure if this is an Mtree issue or not, but it only seems to affect the trees. When I change the direction light, the line moves, but it is always there no matter where in the sky the sun is. Any ideas about what could be causing this? This is being used with Enviro, but I tried disabling all of the volumetric lighting, sun shafts, etc.

43. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

The exact same thing appears in play mode with game view. It was just easier to show it within the scene view.

44. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

Yes, I'm quite aware of how directional light works. Rotation of course moves the "sun" in the sky, which was my point. And no, it isn't affecting the rocks or snow. It is only affecting the trees.

45. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

seems to me a shaddow related problem with the cascades

whats your setup exactly?

46. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

Using Unity 2019.3.6 with the built-in renderer. Everything is being placed with Vegetation Studio Pro. Enviro is used for the skybox and lighting. Upon further testing, it must be something with the instancing of VSP. I tried placing the trees in the same area manually and the issue no longer happens with everything else the same.

47. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

have you updated the asset, and opened inisde Mtree/Shaders/Legacy the VSP package?

48. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

I imported the shaders from the "VSPro Shader Integration Mtree.unitypackage" and have the trees set to instanced indirect in VSP. Is there something else that needs to be done beyond that?

49. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Does the issue go away if you set them in Instanced?

dan_wipf likes this.
  50. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

Yes, I get the same result either way.

Edit: I meant, yes I've tried that, but no it doesn't fix the issue.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020