Search Unity

MTree - Tree creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mherpin, Aug 31, 2018.

1. vrWiz

vrWiz

Hi, is there a way to build a tree during runtime? giving the player the option to create his own tree

2. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

not at this time of the version but you may can DIY

3. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

So I'm very close to releasing my own first Unity pack! And it will hopefully contain tree geometry made with MTree!

I am however concerned that the package may be rejected for the need to include very simple MTree scripts with the trees to make them work - MTree Wind, particularly.

Maxime indicated that Mtree geometry can be included in other Asset Store packs as long as Unity's own script rules are followed, which as far as I know is basically "no scripts from the initial pack can be reduplicated."

Dan, I believe if I use my own shaders/wind scripts based on your work, or some of yours with your permission this should be legal - and I'm very very keen to put that "Made With MTree!" sticker I've been promising on the sales material for this pack, which hopefully would help M. Herpin as well.

Should I possibly hop on your Discord for a chat about this? I can offer donations for your time.

dan_wipf likes this.
  4. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

Hi all!

I have a message from M. Herpin!

MTree is *not* being deprecated, for those who were worried about that! However, Maxime is working full-time and it is not always possible for him to come in to provide the level of support that many users request.

So, dan_wipf and I will be attempting to serve as "moderators" here, so to speak, to help with support requests and to be a bridge between the users and the (very overworked) developer. dan also has a Discord server on which both of us regularly correspond and which is open to users of the tool!

https://discord.gg/T59v4S

Those who wish to have the latest, greatest version of the tech should download the official package (latest version) and install it - then put dan's official Addons package (available here on Github) in a subdirectory, which gives access to the improved shaders, the Enhanced Branch Editor, and so forth!

https://github.com/danwipf/MTree-Addons/

Please feel free to continue to ask questions here - and to visit the Discord server - for updates on the continued development of this tool!

Thank you! :)

5. Flavelius

Flavelius

Will he fix bugs for the asset store version though? If he's fine with you 'taking it over for the time being' he could atleast merge the fixes and improvements and push them to the asset store. It shouldn't be a necessity for buyers to search all this thread for fixes and patches and manually integrate them before the asset is basically up to date and usable.

6. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

totally agree with this, and we’re working on this subject!

any bugs you can post here, or send me(will include the bug fix you’ve already solved to the list)

7. sarum

sarum

+1 vote

CaliCoastReplay and dan_wipf like this.
  8. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

Did delete my latest post, about Microsoft ToDo App => due to you need to login to see progress / and bugs!

So i moved the bug / feature request to github!

you can use the Issue Section to report Bugs and create feature request!

https://github.com/danwipf/Unity3d-Mtree

Thanks, dan

9. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

Yeah, we're in discussion about this. We'd like to make it happen. :>

The big issue is, again, as I understand it - burnout on Maxime's part. He's a fulltime engineer working 40-60 hours a week at his main gig as I understand it and despite the best of intentions he just doesn't have the energy to moderate a community as vigorous as we've become some weeks.

Some unfortunate facts about the Asset Store ecosystem generally:
    - The potential sales base for Asset Store assets is actually very small. Even the biggest players are frequently only making about a single person's engineering salary from their most successful assets - and we're talking about maybe a hundred assets on the store making that much. I don't have official figures, but am pretty willing to stand behind these guesses. Smaller ones may only make a few thousand, or even a few hundred - or zero - and it's just impossible to live on that alone, certainly impossible to run a genuinely staffed enterprise unless one works up to a portfolio of several successful assets.
    - As a result, most Asset Store developers are working part-time to full-time elsewhere on top of asset development.
    - Speaking as someone who's put in my share of 50-60 hour coding weeks in my life...it's just very hard to do that forever.

I absolutely believe this project is still worth keeping and supporting even if Maxime needs a bit of space right now! I lived under the tyranny of things like the SpeedTree/Quixel licenses for a long time. Their products are great, but the licensing just makes it impossible to feel like one is anything other than a sharecropper. There is actually a saying in business about owning one's trees, and Maxime's generous current license terms - users own their geometry, and can release Mtrees in Asset Store packs as long as users are using some custom script replacements dan and I are finalizing (this is not his requirement but Unity's, sadly - they do not allow any script duplication, so we're working on a wind solution at minimum) - mean that insofar as it is possible to own our modeled digital assets, we do.

As a result - and because I know the trees of this project are high-quality as well - I'm standing behind this project! We will work hard to try to get Maxime to allow us to integrate all the latest improvements as well!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  10. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

"sharecropper" what a great word to describe SO MANY issues with 3D marketplaces in general
    (not singling out Unity assetstore)

11. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

So good to see you! I owe you some assets. :> I never did get my supertree library done, but I have a shiny new alpha version of a terrain PBR texture pack with about ~55 terrain layers (with full maps) that I'm working on the official Asset Store version of, for you, if you want it!

And yes, the licensing arena for indie developers just sucks. It feels impossible to generate enough high-quality content to compete without a library of automated tools, half of which have license issues attached and cost a lot of sleep at night. And it also feels so bad lately to have to spend dozens of hours on any release doing things that *aren't* creating artistic content or code.

I don't know what the solution is, other than encouraging more permissive licenses. It's hard to know how much one can give away for free without giving away the farm - there *are* thieves out there who will just jack your stuff and resell it, too, and that's part of the problem. (Someone literally tried to recompile the Unity 3D game kit and release it as a game on one of the major marketplaces, for instance - I saw the reports firsthand and was appalled.)

I'm trying to explore concepts like allowing unlimited use of terrains I've created (third-party, Asset Store resale) and et cetera as long as, say, 25% of the total texture content of the pack isn't reduplicated. (But even that feels dicey because I can't be sure that *I'm* in full compliance for such a release, given the licenses on some of the tools I use for content creation. I'm pretty sure! But I'm not paid-dozens-of-billable-hours-to-a-lawyer-to-ensure-compliance-sure. And how can any of us be, at our level?)

If you have any better solutions on that I'm all ears. It blows.

I had far too good an education in history class to want to experience the joys of digital sharecropping for a new era.

I want to own my trees.

12. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Humble Bundle!!!

13. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

is MTree compatible with newest 2019.3.0 along with HDRP 7.X ?

14. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

Working Versions and tested versions:

HDRP: 4.7/8 (unity 2018.3)
    Unity: 2017.4 to 2019.2

HDRP for the newer Version is under construction! (Amplify is supporting 3.x to 6.x, alltough didn’t knew there was a 7.x version of hdrp out yet)

I can test it if mtree works with 2019.3, but basically i think it will!

15. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

Maybe it is a good idea to put such info in asset store description? Besides - what about .asmdef files?

I've tried to use MTree with 2019.3 + HDRP 7.X and it is mostly working but I am getting a lot of errors about ShaderGraph integration - variable protection level and/or missing assemblies, but I am using .asmdef

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    dan_wipf and CaliCoastReplay like this.
  16. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

i’ll discuss this about asmdef files.

well about the errors, ShaderGraph is a pain right now.. they change alot stuff, so the easiest way is to use amplify (manages all the diffrences without any pain)

so you’ll defently get errors if you use the hdrp file,(it’s 4.6/7 cant tell you right now).

with hopefully the next update, we’ll update all the infos

you can have a look on github what’ll be for sure included and changed in mtree 2.2 https://github.com/danwipf/Unity3d-Mtree/blob/master/Documents/Mtree changelog.docx

CaliCoastReplay likes this.
  17. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

We're in talks with Maxime about getting more official package and description updates happening more often, but until we hear more substantially from him we can't promise anything.

I definitely sympathize with your ShaderGraph/HDRP issues as Mtree looks great with HDRP when all the bugs are slain and it needs to be a priority for the project. Part of the issue is that HDRP/ShaderGraph was released (in my opinion) long before the technology itself was legitimately stable or before there was a good roadmap for Asset Store developers. It's just not stable tech yet itself. :/

As far as ASMDEF, it's certainly something we'd like to have greater support for as well but unfortunately right now with Maxime unable to check in regularly and dan and I having limited capability we certainly can't promise anything there. It's a wonderful thing for reducing compilation time on big projects but when Esoteric Build Things break they tend to break badly and we just don't have the resources right now to risk promising strong assembly support when there are still so many bugs/improvements to make on the actual tree process.

Is this to help reduce compilation time on a big project? If compilation time is an issue, I'd recommend having a separate project to build trees and content and then importing those trees into the main project via packages or other means, that way only the Wind script and the shaders need to be included to make trees function and compilation time for those is relatively minimal.

haleler51 and dan_wipf like this.
  18. starfoxy

starfoxy

Is this asset still being updated? I really hope so as it looks quite promising.

19. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Did you ever get this working with Veg Studio Pro?

20. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

it will be updated in the next couple of weeks(that’s the plan, no promise)

and yes it’s shaders are compatible with VSP

CaliCoastReplay and SickaGames1 like this.
  21. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

I heard from Maxime today! Yes, it will be! Barring the actions of a hostile God or whatnot. ;)

Maxime, dan and I will be making a push for the next update starting some time next week, though that is development, not release, and once we are done Unity has to do approval as well.

We don't have anything like a list of updates/new features yet but certainly full integration into the official Asset Store version with all of dan's addons - which include vastly improved shaders and an Enhanced Branch editor - is currently planned. I will def bring up VSP and HDRP support when the team is able to meet fully!

For those who remember my old Pepper Bark material contribution on page 2 of this thread, I will be asking permission to throw that in there as well as possibly some other art goodies depending on time permitting and/or permission!

We can't give a definitive date on release yet. But release planning on the next official version is certainly beginning!

I am excited! :) Hope you all are too!

22. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

Per Dan, VSP integration is already done and will almost certainly be in the next version, and is already available in the Addons github for those who need it early :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  23. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

sorry to correct you again ;-) but it’s integrated allready in the official release from the asset store

CaliCoastReplay and wetcircuit like this.
  24. Federyuk91

Federyuk91

Hello! I just bought this tool and this error appears in unity 2019.1.14f1 with HDRP
    "code function node 'is inaccessible due to its protection level"

The system works well if I delete custom node script, but I lost the wind...

You can suggest me how to solve? thanks in advance

25. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

I don't have an answer for you today, but these HDRP bugs are top priority for any of our team meetings. We'll start taking a look. Screenshots/snips of the error are always appreciated and will help speed things up.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-10-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

Federyuk91 and dan_wipf like this.
  26. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

correct me if i’m wrong, but you use a HDRP 5.x version, which is unsupported atm.

but that is as @CaliCoastReplay mentioned on our todo list (full support of 4.x/5.x/6.x and 7.x when amplify is ready)

Federyuk91 and CaliCoastReplay like this.
  27. starfoxy

starfoxy

Awesome news and thanks for the update! Offhand, the author of Advanced Dynamic Shaders has spoken of reaching out to you for integration.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...nified-wind-shaders-for-any-vegetation-115838

It would be great if you guys could figure out an integration together. :)

dan_wipf and CaliCoastReplay like this.
  28. Federyuk91

Federyuk91

Yes, i used 5.7 and tried upgrade to latest with package manager (5.16) but i take the same error.
    Tomorrow I send a screenshot with the error and how reproduce it step by step.

Meanwhile, which hdrp versions are supported for now?

29. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

you need unity 2018.3 and i think hdrp 4.8. But as said it’ll be supported soon :) we’re doing a rework of the shaders!

@starfoxy i’ll try to contact him my self as well so we can get to a fast solution for this matter!
    @BOXOPHOBIC
    dan

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    starfoxy and CaliCoastReplay like this.
  30. AtomsInTheVoid

AtomsInTheVoid

So I have a weird thing with a tree I'm making. Basically the only thing I did was edit the look of your Fir tree to look a bit more cartoony. But if the directional light shines behind the tree, it goes an ugly grey sheen. Apparently this might be some shader issue with specularity? Note that I turned smoothness down on the shader as well. Here's a video and an image of what I'm talking about. Note, the tree in front is a different tree asset from another pack, just to show the difference.

https://i.imgur.com/OCr3rHc.png

https://i.imgur.com/4qvyqHR.mp4

31. starfoxy

starfoxy

@dan_wipf awesome! I think it will be a great fit for both assets.

32. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

we’re working on new shaders, have you baked ambient occlusion?

33. Flavelius

Flavelius

I had similar issues with shading but i think i noticed that this is was due to the mesh's normals and the way the 'standard' shading interacts with them as it was similar to the actual Standard shader. I'm not sure what fixes it, but assigning a normalmap, if your style allows for it, may.

34. TPEUnity

TPEUnity

Is it possible for tree / leaf shader to allow transparency so when it obstructing things i want to see i could either see through (i tried simple stencil mask but it didnt seem to work?) or fade out them to almost transparent?

35. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

Leaf shaders are supposed to have a certain amount of passthrough/subsurface scattering when the sun is behind them, however it's generally supposed to be a much smaller amount than that and localized which clearly isn't happening.

As dan said, new shaders are being worked on.

I'm not sure which version of the older shaders you're using, but if you can post a screenshot/snip of the settings that would be great - lots of that can probably be fixed by turning SSS-related settings down to a minimum.

Willbkool_FPCS and dan_wipf like this.
  36. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

We *might* be able to do this, adding a variable transparency setting to allow fadein and fadeout of trees would be relatively easy, however it would probably only be able to be the whole tree at once - no specific branch fadeouts, etc. - and there is an issue in that transparent geometry in Unity can't accept shadowcasts so that would be a tradeoff you'd have to accept in exchange for transparency support.

dan_wipf likes this.
  37. Amitloaf

Amitloaf

Do you have any ETA about when support for HDRP 5 will be ready? Asset store doesn't say it's not supported and we did buy it and can't use it now.

38. Xulain-SineSpace

Xulain-SineSpace

Great Asset I got it in the Humble bundle. It really could do with better support for palm trees. I have done quite well but its not ideal. Its very hard to make the branches spaced around tree like this in fact the other side of this tree has a patchy bit and also the fact you don`t seem to be able to cap the hole in top of palm tree style trunk. Here`s what I've have so far.

Hope you can work on making this asset more suitable for palms Thanks.

hopeful and AthrunVLokiz like this.
  39. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

we’re working hard on releasing hopefully the next update within the next two weeks(submitting to the store, takes then some while to get it approved)

Feauters will be:
    - reworked shaders
    - hdrp/lwrp support from 4.x,5.x,6.x
    - Better Branch Editor (normal map support)
    - Bezier Curve addon for trunk
    - small bugfixes

we’ll chat this week about when and what exactly will be released in next update

sarum likes this.
  40. Xulain-SineSpace

Xulain-SineSpace

Heres another problem with palms I have set branch length to 0.001 which is lowest but the branches at top still have length not ideal for palm fronds .

Ideally I would like to have branches spaced out evenly around and on top of the trunk with 0 length for palm fronds or even the ability to do away with the branches all together as only really want the fronds (custom leafs) with more control than leafs presently have.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  41. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

i’ll have a look in to this! i believe maxime has allready done some portings for palm! i’ll let you know as soon i’d had a look into it!

hopeful likes this.
  42. Xulain-SineSpace

Xulain-SineSpace

It seems to be the start slider of branch node that causes the problem with very random results . It could do with a switch for palm mode.

Thanks for looking Dan and I look forward to testing updates.

dan_wipf likes this.
  43. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

Ok i found what you're looking for..

Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-30 um 14.40.07.png Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-30 um 14.40.24.png

44. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

Example trees got updated!
    (does not represent the final tree, no AO baked nor shaders tweeked, just about the tree style)
    Example Trees.png

45. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

41E5D255-3CC2-40E4-82E5-F2DA095FB02A.png ok again the same but with baked Ambient Occlusion! looks good to me, and it’s nice to do with paralell threading (up to 5x faster) will be included in update!

46. Xulain-SineSpace

Xulain-SineSpace

Thanks for reply. I had already done something similar copying a pic from earlier in this thread but this is not what I'm looking for as uses a lot of polys when palms really don't need to. So just hoping can work out or get improvements to space a custom leaf (palm frond) evenly around the top of the trunk with 0 length branches. I have some ideas I've not tried that I'm going to try today. This is the type of custom leaf I want to use like I showed you on the discord.
    Thanks for help will let you know if successful.

dan_wipf likes this.
  47. Xulain-SineSpace

Xulain-SineSpace

Ok I dont think its going to work here is a perfect example of the problem. One zero length branch and one leaf gets this
    Thats not a zero length branch even though is set to 0.001.

And this is 10 of each.

You see how random this is which I know is fine for normal leaves but not palm fronds like this. Adjusting the start slider helps but the results are a bit like doing the lottery anything can happen.
    I know this asset was not made to work this way but it would make it a more complete tree builder if it had options to make palms like this.

Also would be good if the branch editor which is already a cool tool was updated to make palm frond textures. No other tree builder has that and getting good palm frond textures is hard.All it needs really is a stem radius and branch radius and maybe a few little tweaks.You can see from these images why stem radius is needed.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  48. Xulain-SineSpace

Xulain-SineSpace

Just FYI Heres the one I made the other way and its double the polys compared to my one in the 1st image.

dan_wipf and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  49. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

you could report a feature request on Github, with a sum up what exactly you wanted, so we could easier be on track whats happening, what we shall do etc.

https://github.com/danwipf/Unity3d-Mtree

But i’ll stay on track anyway on this!
    Maybe just after we launched the next update!

dan

50. AtomsInTheVoid

AtomsInTheVoid

Here's my settings, this what's you're after? I turn smoothness to zero since i'm building for VR and VR hates sparkles.

I also have a UV issue with your trees.

First, you'll notice my scale settings on the bark are funny, they're not 1:1, but it's the only way I could get it "nice".

But the bark looks compressed. It's of course using the same material as the trunk, but because the branches scale so much smaller it seems to shrink the whole texture.

Not an expert, but an idea would be allow me to have an atlas, a Trunk diffuse/normal and a branch diffuse/normal, then you have your shader sort it out and apply the offset depending if it's drawing the trunk or branch.

Also, is it possible for you to produce your UV's so that it perfectly wraps around and doesn't cause unsightly seams?

Thanks!!

2019-10-02_15-44-32.png 2019-10-02_15-41-43.png