Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MSC Staff (App)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Rad-Coders, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Rad-Coders

Rad-Coders

Not your usual game project post, this is an app targeted at schools and workplaces to provide information about colleagues and staff. It can easily be adjusted to fit your personal need, it's primarily aimed as an contact app.

This particular version is aimed at a school to provide parents information regarding staff (teachers) at the school.

Description:

Your quick MSC staff contact list in the palm of your hand. No more scouring websites and diarys for information that could be sitting right in your very one pocket. Simply open up, scroll and tap the wanted contact for more information regarding the staff member.

This app is aimed at 'mommies' always asking their children for information regarding school staff members or in cases where they are forced to search the website inside out to gather information. The app content is regularly updated to the latest information.

The app is still in its development process to make it more user friendly and to add extra features. The app can easily be adjusted for other content or personal uses in work environments.

Known problems: When refreshing data the list goes on to infinite, so in this case just restart the app. Back button exits whole app for now, no matter which page you are on. An update is coming soon with new features, animations and fixed bugs.

Please feel free to test it out and give your thoughts.
    Download

For further support and special enquiry's please visit our site.

2. jtsmith1287

jtsmith1287

Just curious, what did Unity offer for an app like this that something like Xamarin did not? Why use Unity for a strictly UI app?

3. Rad-Coders

Rad-Coders

Unity was faster when it came to delivering apps in a short time frame. My Unity GUI skills allowed me to create complex UI's and I had no prior knowledge working with mobile platforms when it came to coding (mostly self taught JAVA for desktop usage).

The use of Unity's 2D functions allows you to integrate advanced functions for unique intractability features much easier. All problem that people usually have with designing apps in Unity is performance, but after extensive testing I quickly realised that a pure UI doesn't cause lag or loading time problems.

4. jtsmith1287

jtsmith1287

Sweet. I ask because I've often wondered if writing an ap in Unity that was strictly UI based would be worth it. Sounds like I could go that route instead of trying to learn a whole new framework.

Gekigengar likes this.
  5. Rad-Coders

Rad-Coders

I would say it's worth it and it is weird that not more people are making pure UI apps with Unity. I have a few other projects and I must say that it can get complicated, but a well planned out strategy is something worth spending time on. If you do go down the Unity path try to use a pure OnGUI UI system, you'll have a lot more control.

6. jtsmith1287

jtsmith1287

Oh really? I assumed you were using ... the ... what is it called? It's not the "4.6 UI", it has a name, right? Anyway, I thought you'd use that. Automatic scaling for devices and all that. I'm not too familiar with the ongui stuff though.

7. Rad-Coders

Rad-Coders

The naming system is weird, ngui, ugui...you never know, I still get confused to this day. I can see why people in general would assume that you would use the new GUI system, but as I said, OnGUI gives you more control. Scaling is easy, you can create a screen matrix that automatically scales everything (can lead to unwated effects and can be unpredictable) or you simply calculate the percentage of the screen it's using.