Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MS3D to FBX?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Precursor13, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Precursor13

Precursor13

Hi all. I am thinking of buying a few models from 3drt, but the models I'm looking at aren't in FBX; they are in max and ms3d. I do have aa fully licensed copy of MilkShape3D but I have no idea if/how to convert the models, keeping their animations

2. BlackMantis

BlackMantis

I too own a copy of milkshape but find it rather useless when it comes to unity. So what kind of models are you buying?
    I think you would be better off asking someone here in the forum to convert the 3dmax formats to fbx
    and send them private style so you would only have to share them with that person(not that i'm against sharing with everyone but after all you did pay for them lol)
    Because 3dmax cost more than my car i use fragmotion(30 bucks)that can import .X and ms3d then export to .X and then convert them to .fbx in ultimate unwrap(50 bucks)for a perfect import to unity, so i saved around 2800.00(if i remember the price correctly) :D

3. BenH

BenH

Email the 3drt guy and tell him to give them to you in FBX format also. I have done that before with some stuff I bought from him in the past and he is really helpful.

4. Precursor13

Precursor13

Okay. Do you know if UU3D can just import .ms3d or .x and save as fbx with anims? I don't exactly have the $$$ for both. Anyway, do any of you use misfit model 3d? I'd love to use that for animating but it only exports ms3d and md3.

EDIT: so what do I email the guy at 3drt? Something like "I just bought x model, could you send me it I'm fbx format?"

5. Paulius-Liekis

Paulius-Liekis

No, Unity can not import md3 or x formats. Although I see more people asking for support of MilkShape3D formats.

6. Precursor13

Precursor13

UU3D is Ultimate Unwrap 3D, not unity. Btw it would be great if unity supported ms3d and md3

7. BlackMantis

BlackMantis

Yes Ultimate Unwrap can import ms3d and .x but thats not to say you wont have any problems with exporting from ms3d files. I went through so many import and export test to get it just right so that the animated files had everything they needed and worked properly. But you cant go wrong with going ahead and getting UU3D and trying a few things cause it is a real good uv mapper and converter to own and the site has lots of (free)plugins for importing and exporting all kind of popular formats. :D

8. probesys

probesys