Search Unity

Mr. Newton would you please stand up?!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by taumel, Jul 22, 2005.

1. taumel

taumel

Hi,

as i still don't have the Mac and therefore am making my way through the online-manual time by time, some questions regarding the physics:

a) Is it possible to choose 3d-objects/meshes as a particel-source, instead of textures for instance?
    b) Can i define these objects of the particle also to be physics-objects?
    c) Does novodex in unity support proxy-objects and grouping?
    d) Is it possible to make a definition that certain physic-objects do not collide with certain other physic-objects while still interacting with the rest physically?

Greetings,

taumel

2. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

a) Particle source? We do emit partilces from a mesh, but not meshes as particles. You could of course code up a little script to "emit" (instantiate) meshes from an area. But normal particles can be shaped and have all manners of settings on them so you can get quite far with them. Have a look at GooBall when you get your Mac to see some need examples.

b) Particles can collide with the world, but right now don't affect objects themselves. Might be in a later version, but not planned.

c) ? Not sure I understand, but I could imagine you could get the effect with parenting and/or scripting.

d) Yes.

3. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

May I learn how, please? :D I didn't know this was possible and have been hacking my way around it.

-Jon

4. taumel

taumel

Hi David,

thanks for taking some time.

I guessed that particles can't be physical objects, so i was thinking about linking two particle streams together. One should be there for some nice graphic effects and the other one should consists of less emitted invisible boxes/spheres (same settings) which would collide with the physical environment, so it would look as if the particelstream physically could interact.

>>>b) Particles can collide with the world, but right now don't affect objects themselves. Might be in a later version, but not planned.<<<

Do i get any information out of this so that i could use this for creating forces?

Well otherwise i would have to create a similar parcticle stream on my own.

>>>c) ? Not sure I understand, but I could imagine you could get the effect with parenting and/or scripting.<<<

Grouping: Putting different objects together logically.
    Proxy-Object: Usage of lowres-models for faster physical calculation.

>>>d) Yes<<<

Any example where i could look up this?

Greetings,

taumel

PS: Ahm and just to be sure: I do have a particle emitter in unity which i can set the position and rotation anywhere i want and alter the properties on the fly, right?

5. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

b) You can get callbacks when a particle collision occurrs:
    function OnParticleCollision (collider) {}. There you just apply a force to the rigid body you hit.

c) You can group primitive and mesh colliders together by just making them a transform child of the rigid body.

d) Ups, actually we don't have layers for colliding objects yet. We do have them for raycasting.
    d.

6. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

The MeshCollider component has a Mesh (or something) field, where you just assign whatever mesh. It doesn't have to be the same as the one used to render with.

-Jon

7. freyr

freyr

The mesh used for mesh collision detection can be any mesh, it only defaults to the mesh of the object it is attached to, but you can re-assign it to any mesh you like.

edit: woops! I didn't see aarku's response...

8. taumel

taumel

Hey no problem,

thanks for you answer anyway!

One more question: Do i also have the possibility that i could say that the physics-engine automatically uses a convex or concave-mesh, which i don't have to build, over a model surface like it's possible in havok?
    Properties for if it's convex or concave and a property for the resolution of the mesh.

It would be really great if you could add support for like you've called it physical layering! This would help out in a lot of situations.

Greetings,

taumel