Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug [MPPM] Not working in conjunction with ECS?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Tools' started by FaithlessOne, Mar 29, 2023.

1. FaithlessOne

FaithlessOne

Hello,

I created a new project in Unity 2023.1.0.b9 using the 2D URP Core template. After adding "com.unity.multiplayer.playmode" version 0.1.1 I could acivate "Player 2" successfully. Then I deactivated the "Player 2". Thereafter I added the package "com.unity.entities" version 1.0.0-pre.65 with all of its dependencies. Then I tried activating "Player 2" again and the process is hanging for over an hour now and looks like this:

upload_2023-3-29_13-39-33.png

There are no related messages in the console.

Question: Is MPPM compatible with the ECS packages?

Additionally as proposal there should be improved feedback when activating a player. At least a progress bar should be used, because the process takes some time. Console messages or further information about whats beeing done at the moment can also be helpfull for identifying problems.

2. KikiSaintonge

KikiSaintonge

Unity Technologies

Hi there! MPPM should be compatible with ECS, but isn't right now due to some package compatibility issues we are looking into. Thanks for raising awareness on this issue, it's a bug on our radar.

To your suggested feedback: When activating a player, we show the small ring that turns to a greenlit "Active" when the player has launched. We felt this was sufficient at the time, however your ask for a progress bar is interesting. Could you elaborate on why you would want to know exactly where the progress is when a player window is launching? What would you do differently if you had this information and what kind(s) of issues do you expect to see during load time? This isn't a scenario that came up when we were prototyping this experience, so I would love to know what your use-case would be with this added information.

3. FaithlessOne

FaithlessOne

Thanks for looking into this issue even when happening in indeterminate future.

I don't think a progreess bar is important anymore. It is important that the feature of activating a player in MPPM works and when having an error then report it via the console and cancel the activation. The user can than either fix or report the error to you. The only important thing which really should not happen is getting stuck while activating the player like happened in my case. Then a progress bar has not much value. So focus on the working feature than on UI usability.

KikiSaintonge likes this.
  4. KikiSaintonge

KikiSaintonge

Unity Technologies

Got it! Yes I agree that all player window issues when launching should be logged there. In this case that will be a bug fix requirement for this issue. I believe it reports some cases, but I'll ask our QA to double check that any launch issues log to the console, provided the window reaches a launch failure state/event.

How do you feel about player window launching state(s)/progress being reported in the console window? Meaning, seeing some for of textual console progress for each window you initiate for a load.

FaithlessOne likes this.
  5. FaithlessOne

FaithlessOne

Sounds good to me log the progress at least to console so the user is informed. But this requires some kind of progress measurement when activating a player in MPPM which was not really required till now. When the amount of work for implementing this progress measurement logging is reasonable than it would sure be nice.

KikiSaintonge likes this.