Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official [MPPM] Multiplayer Play Mode Experimental Release Now Available

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Tools' started by CreativeChris, Dec 12, 2022.

1. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone

A real pleasure to announce that Multiplayer Play Mode v0.1.0 is now available as an experimental package.

Multiplayer Play Mode (MPPM) enables you to test multiplayer functionality without leaving the Unity Editor. You can simulate up to four Players (the Main Editor Player plus three Virtual Players) simultaneously on the same development device while using the same source assets on disk. You can leverage MPPM to create multiplayer development workflows that reduce the time it takes to build a project, run it locally, and test the server-client relationship.

Requirements:
    • Unity Engine: 2023.1.a22 or above
    • Install the Unity Engine version here: https://unity.com/releases/editor/alpha
    • Install the package by name `com.unity.multiplayer.playmode` (version 0.1.0 or later)
    Known Issues:
    • Player windows cannot be reopened if they are closed during Play Mode
    • Virtual Players can remain in Play Mode after the Main Editor has exited in certain circumstances, such as if script changes are made during Play Mode and the “Stop Playing and Recompile” option is active.
    • Entering Play Mode with multiple scenes open is not currently supported
    • Virtual Players lose some Game View settings, such as Aspect Ratio, when exiting and entering Play Mode
    • Opening a Virtual Player with unresolved script updater issues will cause an API Update prompt to appear
    • Scripts will not be reloaded correctly in Virtual Players with “Enter Play Mode” settings set with “Reload Domain” disabled
    • In some cases, an error may appear in Virtual Player windows indicating that assets were imported when they were not supposed to be
    • Non-prefab assets like Scriptable Objects are not synced to Virtual Players unless you save your scene or invoke the Save Project command
    • Authentication with UGS will not work without manually overriding configuration values at runtime
    • Documentation is live: https://docs-multiplayer.unity3d.com//tools/current/mppm

Please open new threads on the Multiplayer Netcode for GameObjects subforum. Make it clear in the title that you are referencing MPPM. Alternatively, please use the #multiplayer-tools channel on the Multiplayer Discord Server: https://discord.gg/unity-multiplayer-network.

Thanks on behalf of the Multiplayer Tools Team,
    Chris

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  2. Walter_Hulsebos

Walter_Hulsebos

Awesome! This is one of the biggest game-changers for Multiplayer game development in Unity! It used to be very cumbersome to do any rapid testing.

mgear likes this.
  3. TheSleepyKoala

TheSleepyKoala

Good News indeed!

4. joan_stark

joan_stark

Thanks! By any chance will this be ported to 2022.2-3 versions?

5. m0guz

m0guz

Better late than never.

Any chance this will be backported to at least 2022.x?

Walter_Hulsebos and stonstad like this.
  6. MylesLambert

MylesLambert

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  7. JohannRw

JohannRw

Unity Technologies

The package is experimental and might be not stable.
    For this reason, it does not appear in the package manager by default.
    If not done yet, could try to enable "enable Pre-Release packages" in the project settings ?
    upload_2022-12-12_10-26-25.png

MylesLambert likes this.
  8. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately not at this time. The engineering team made changes to the engine which were needed to enable this workflow.

CameronBondeSAE and m0guz like this.
  9. joan_stark

joan_stark

So if we are developing in 2022.X we will be forced to update without chance of sticking to 2022 lts...

10. RikuTheFuffs-U

RikuTheFuffs-U

Unity Technologies

@joan_stark @m0guz if you're on 2022 or lower, you can still use ParrelSync. Even if it's not an official Unity product it works pretty well (I use it in production projects) and covers MPPM's use case

11. CyRaid

CyRaid

@RikuTheFuffs-U How does one go about reading the tags you set in MultiPlayer Play Mode? (for Main Editor, Player 2, etc) .. How can you figure out which one to do StartHost() on and StartClient() on?

Nevermind found it. Unity.Multiplayer.Playmode.CurrentPlayer.Tag :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    RikuTheFuffs-U likes this.
  12. CyRaid

CyRaid

@RikuTheFuffs-U Do you have to deactivate / reactivate a player every time you make a code change? Mine seems to only update when I do that. It's pretty slow doing that, am I missing something?

13. Sarono

Sarono

ParrelSync open clone editor too slow, user experience is not good.

m0guz likes this.
  14. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

ParrelSync cloned projects open the same speed as any other editor instance after the initial copy was made. However if you only have 8gb of memory then surely two unity editor instances will slow things down quite a bit.

RikuTheFuffs likes this.
  15. msfredb7

msfredb7

On the documentation, there is this mention:
    "There’s no restriction on where you can keep these scripts that work with Player Tags, but you must attach the scripts to a NetworkObject (such as the Player)."

1. The link to NetworkObject seems to be broken.
    2. Does that mean we need to use one of Unity's multiplayer package in order to use tags (Netcode for X)? For example, my project uses Photon Bolt.

theloraxgirl likes this.
  16. RikuTheFuffs-U

RikuTheFuffs-U

Unity Technologies

We are pleased to announce a new release of Multiplayer Play Mode! ("MPPM")

Version 0.1.1 Highlights:

We have added support for additive scenes. This minor release also includes minor bug fixes, some of them were reported by users.

Requirements:
    • Unity Engine: 2023.1.a22 or above (get it here)
    • Install the package by name com.unity.multiplayer.playmode (version 0.1.1 or later)
    Known Issues:
    • Player windows cannot be reopened if they are closed during Play Mode
    • Virtual Players can remain in Play Mode after the Main Editor has exited in certain circumstances, such as if script changes are made during Play Mode and the “Stop Playing and Recompile” option is active.
    • Virtual Players lose some Game View settings, such as Aspect Ratio, when exiting and entering Play Mode
    • Opening a Virtual Player with unresolved script updater issues will cause an API Update prompt to appear
    • Scripts will not be reloaded correctly in Virtual Players with “Enter Play Mode” settings set with “Reload Domain” disabled
    • In some cases, an error may appear in Virtual Player windows indicating that assets were imported when they were not supposed to be
    • Non-prefab assets like Scriptable Objects are not synced to Virtual Players unless you save your scene or invoke the Save Project command
    • Authentication with UGS will not work without manually overriding configuration values at runtime

Documentation is live: https://docs-multiplayer.unity3d.com//tools/current/mppm

Please open new threads in this subforum.
    Alternatively, please use the #multiplayer-tools channel on the Multiplayer Discord Server.

Thanks on behalf of the Multiplayer Tools Team,

Paolo

m0guz and CameronBondeSAE like this.
  17. AlbertoFdzM

AlbertoFdzM

Last edited: May 3, 2023
  18. RikuTheFuffs-U

RikuTheFuffs-U

Unity Technologies

No, what makes you think that?

ParrelSync is the recommended solution for all editor versions in which MPPM is not available

19. dizzy2003

dizzy2003

been using this for a couple of weeks now on Unity 2023.1.0f1

Its almost great.

The only downside seems to be every 3 hours or so the Player 2,3,4 projects all crash with a Memroy stream is corrupted [Position out of bounds]
    ( i have plenty of disk space)

20. RyanGarber

RyanGarber

Here to confirm this is also still an issue for me.

21. Hakej37

Hakej37

I don't know about you guys, but I just can't find com.unity.multiplayer.playmode package anywhere. I'm logged in, pre-release packages are allowed, I checked latest stable, beta and alpha versions available as in 30 Jul 23 and nothing works, the package just doesn't show up. Anybody has any idea why? :(

22. 1;
    Capture.PNG

2;
    Capture01.PNG

3;
    Hit install.

Documentation: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/upm-ui-quick.html

Walter_Hulsebos likes this.
  23. Hakej37

Hakej37

24. mangax

mangax

the documentation link is not working

25. prefix

prefix

Im currently running into the following issue with MPPM:
    Unity Version 2023.3.0b12
    Multiplayer Play Mode: 0.5.0
    Moq 2.0.0
    NewtonsoftJson 2.0.2

When selecting a virtual player to activate, the following error occurs.

upload_2023-10-14_15-32-29.png

26. prefix

prefix

Resolved this issue by moving my project over to my C Drive from an External Drive

27. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

Interesting, thanks for reporting back. Do you by any chance know the file system of your external drive? You can find that out by right-clicking the drive and checking its properties.

28. KevinCastejon

KevinCastejon

Is there any news on the known issue "Virtual Players lose some Game View settings, such as Aspect Ratio, when exiting and entering Play Mode" ? Makes it really hard to use when reacting to window size change into the game

29. Walter_Hulsebos

Walter_Hulsebos

I find it odd that there's a hard limit of four players, why not allow us to configure the amount that we need ourselves?
    If it lags because of the amount of instances we're testing with that's our own fault/responsibility.

What is the reasoning behind it?

Timten likes this.
  30. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Keep in mind that this is equivalent to running four instances of the editor, this means four times the memory usage, four times the CPU usage, and four times GPU usage (plus possibly five times if both Game and Scene view are visible in the main editor).

I have a very beefy system and I can feel the impact of running just one virtual player in a very primitive scene.

I would say it's fairly reasonable to limit it to four virtual players. Otherwise some devs would complain that running "only 256" virtual players crashes their system. :D

KnifeOffWork likes this.
  31. Walter_Hulsebos

Walter_Hulsebos

I guess, but I believe my point stands. At that point, it's the responsibility of those devs.
    It's more of a UX/communication issue than anything.
    Sure, give it a reasonable default maximum of 4, but allow it to be overridden in user Preferences, warning you of potential performance issues if you do.
    I just think a hard-locked arbitrary limit of 4 is a shame because it's not source-available so I can't just fork the repo and modify it for my own needs like I can with Input System/Cinemachine/NGO itself.
    But I guess I can always use ParrelSync.

32. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

What would you do with more than 4 local players at once anyway? The critical threshold is three clients for any given scenario, unless you need n clients to do something specific or exist to begin with in order to test a feature.

With three clients you have client-host and client-client communication covered. Anything that works correctly in this scenario should scale up to any number of clients.

33. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

It may not be developed in the open, but you can definitely modify the package if you want. All packages are shipped as source code. Just look in the package cache in your project's 'Library' folder, and copy the
    com.unity.multiplayer.playmode
    package under your 'Packages' folder. You can then safely modify this copy. Detailed instructions are available here.

CodeSmile and Walter_Hulsebos like this.
  34. camerondus

camerondus

hey guys. been using MPPM in a new project for the past few weeks. been loving it so far, its very convenient.

I just ran into my first hitch, the unity editor was giving me some issues with file importing so i deleted my library folder and relaunched unity. thankfully, this fixed the original issue i was facing, but now whenever i try to start a virtual player, i get the following error:

upload_2024-2-19_16-4-15.png

Unity version is 2023.3.0b6. What is the next step i should take? thanks

35. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

You can create the 'Library/VP/mppm0f190a1b/Temp' folder manually. That should resolve the issue. This is a known issue introduced in very recent releases of 2023.3. It will be fixed in the next version of MPPM, and also in Unity 2023.3.0b8. In the meantime unfortunately that folder needs to be created manually.

camerondus and CodeSmile like this.
  36. Walter_Hulsebos

Walter_Hulsebos

Thanks, I wasn't aware that was allowed!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  37. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Good to know that a fix is under way!

Does that actually work? I think each "mppm#########" folder doesn't exist until you activate the virtual client for the first time, and we don't know its identifier before doing so.

38. camerondus

camerondus

Thanks, that fixed the issue. however, the virtual player wasnt marked as "activating..." at first, so i clicked it multiple times. now i have many "player 2" windows :) upload_2024-2-20_10-1-58.png

39. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

That is correct. The folder will be created when first activating a clone, and then you'll hit the error about the missing file. If you then close the editor, create the 'Temp' directory, and re-launch the editor, the error should not appear. I don't think closing the main editor first is strictly necessary, but it might avoid issues like @camerondus reported.

(Yes, this means that seeing the error first is pretty much necessary to apply the workaround, which is terrible UX. We're prepping a release ASAP to fix this issue.)

That's an interesting bug! Did you create the 'Temp' directory while the main editor was still open? Also, do you now have multiple 'Library/mppmXXXXXXXX' folders or are all clones using the same one? In any case, I'll have a look at this. We probably need more safeties to avoid opening the same clone multiple times.

40. KevinCastejon

KevinCastejon

When creating a new project using Unity (tested with 2023.2.3 and 2023.2.11) officials VR Template, or 3D Core URP Template, with Android platform, along with the MPPM package (tested with 0.6.0 and 1.0.0-pre.4) makes the virtual player frequently logging this error :

Code (CSharp):
    1. "Asset Database is set to Read Only, but it has found out-of-date assets. This should not happen!"
    Plus, some materials appear pink, such as the interactable objects ones on the Vr Template demo scene (only on the virtual player oc)..

Any idea ?

Complete error stack:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Asset Database is set to Read Only, but it has found out-of-date assets. This should not happen!
    2. UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace ()
    3. Unity.Multiplayer.Playmode.VirtualProjects.Editor.CloneInternalRuntime/<>c:<HandleEvents>b__0_3 (string) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.multiplayer.playmode@0.6.0/VirtualProjects/Editor/Contexts/CloneInternalRuntime.cs:76)
    4. Unity.Multiplayer.Playmode.VirtualProjects.Editor.SceneEvents:InvokeSceneSaved (string) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.multiplayer.playmode@0.6.0/VirtualProjects/Editor/EditorSystems/Events/SceneEvents.cs:17)
    5. Unity.Multiplayer.Playmode.VirtualProjects.Editor.CloneSystems/<>c__DisplayClass12_0:<Listen>b__5 (Unity.Multiplayer.Playmode.VirtualProjects.Editor.SceneSavedMessage) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.multiplayer.playmode@0.6.0/VirtualProjects/Editor/EditorSystems/CloneSystems.cs:95)
    6. Unity.Multiplayer.Playmode.VirtualProjects.Editor.MessagingService/<>c__DisplayClass19_0`1<Unity.Multiplayer.Playmode.VirtualProjects.Editor.SceneSavedMessage>:<Receive>g__Wrapper|0 (object) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.multiplayer.playmode@0.6.0/VirtualProjects/Editor/Messaging/MessagingService.cs:200)
    7. Unity.Multiplayer.Playmode.VirtualProjects.Editor.MessagingService:HandleIncomingData (byte[]) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.multiplayer.playmode@0.6.0/VirtualProjects/Editor/Messaging/MessagingService.cs:292)
    8. UnityEditor.MPE.ChannelClient:IncomingChannelClientData (int,byte[])

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
  41. camerondus

camerondus

Yes, i created "temp" while unity was running. All instances appeared to use the same 'Library/mppmXXXXXXXX' folder.

42. bugfinders

bugfinders

i got frustrated with the multiplay when i tried it cos it kept moaning about linking the other projects to ugs, and obviously 2+ times they disk space

Especially when what i wanted was run dedicated server and run editor as client.. or maybe the other way round.. depending on an issue.

43. camerondus

camerondus

This might be a bit off topic, but you might want to look into netcode solutions like Photon Fusion or Netick 2. they support "Multi-Peer mode" and "Sandboxing", which lets you start as multiple clients with server directly in the editor, each with their own physics scenes and hierarchies, without needing extra clones of the project

44. bugfinders

bugfinders

I wrote a script that builds server and executes it, and runs as client in editor :p

45. Brainshack

Brainshack

I tried this tool, and initially it works, but then when I make changes to the Scene it doesnt get synces to the other clients unless i restart the editor, which makes this tool unusable.

EDIT: Ok it seems you have to manually save the scene every time you make changes in order for them to be reflected. However, now I get this error:

[Netcode] NetworkConfig mismatch. The configuration between the server and client does not match
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object)
    Unity.Netcode.NetworkLog:LogWarning (string) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.7.1/Runtime/Logging/NetworkLog.cs:28)
    Unity.Netcode.ConnectionRequestMessage:Deserialize (Unity.Netcode.FastBufferReader,Unity.Netcode.NetworkContext&,int) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.7.1/Runtime/Messaging/Messages/ConnectionRequestMessage.cs:122)
    Unity.Netcode.NetworkMessageManager:ReceiveMessage<Unity.Netcode.ConnectionRequestMessage> (Unity.Netcode.FastBufferReader,Unity.Netcode.NetworkContext&,Unity.Netcode.NetworkMessageManager) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.7.1/Runtime/Messaging/NetworkMessageManager.cs:563)
    Unity.Netcode.NetworkMessageManager:HandleMessage (Unity.Netcode.NetworkMessageHeader&,Unity.Netcode.FastBufferReader,ulong,single,int) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.7.1/Runtime/Messaging/NetworkMessageManager.cs:434)
    Unity.Netcode.NetworkMessageManager:processIncomingMessageQueue () (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.7.1/Runtime/Messaging/NetworkMessageManager.cs:460)
    Unity.Netcode.NetworkManager:NetworkUpdate (Unity.Netcode.NetworkUpdateStage) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.7.1/Runtime/Core/NetworkManager.cs:45)
    Unity.Netcode.NetworkUpdateLoop:RunNetworkUpdateStage (Unity.Netcode.NetworkUpdateStage) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.7.1/Runtime/Core/NetworkUpdateLoop.cs:185)
    Unity.Netcode.NetworkUpdateLoop/NetworkEarlyUpdate/<>c:<CreateLoopSystem>b__0_0 () (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.7.1/Runtime/Core/NetworkUpdateLoop.cs:208)

46. KevinCastejon

KevinCastejon

@Brainshack this error also happens to me randomly, sometimes just reopening the scene fixes it, sometimes not and I need to restart the editor

47. PatientZero

PatientZero

Im getting a fatal error when trying to enable a virtual player:
    Compilation Pipeline: Could not read file Packages/com.unity.test-framework.performance/Runtime/Unity.PerformanceTesting.asmdef

48. rauiz

rauiz

Hi, folks.

I've been trying to get MPPM working in a couple of projects that share some common custom tooling. In doing so I've managed to identify a few bugs and some doubts. Below is some feedback regarding Editor Callbacks, Debug Workflows in the context of MPPM:

- This seems to still not be working. As in, with ReloadDomain disabled, I don't get a Domain Reload in the VirtualPlayer which leads to InitializeOnLoad and DidReloadScripts to not run, which leads to some of my tooling to break.

AssetPostProcessors don't seem to be running either (they don't seem to be called ever, not when you open the Virtual Player OR when a Domain Reload/Asset Refresh triggers).
    - I have a bunch of custom tooling that uses that and prepares things to provide several important workflow guarantees for designers. At the moment, these don't seem to be called (as much as I can gather from the logs on the Virtual Player).
    - Btw, an AssetPostProcessor is the only way I know that allows me to execute code AFTER the AssetDatabase is ready for querying while also differentiating between DomainReloads and Refreshes. If there's an alternative that works, I'd be much happier, but... for now... this is the only way AFAIK to run code with the above semantics and it doesn't work in MPPM.

If the AssetPostProcessor thing is by design, I'm a bit concerned as someone who writes a lot of custom tooling. It'd imply that Unity won't be providing guarantees that code you write for the main editor will work on the Virtual Players' editor. Hopefully, if that is the case, Unity will at least provide a workaround, but... that'd still be dissapointing.
    - If the MPPM team wants to discuss specific use-cases, I'm happy to do so; just not in an open forum as I can't share stuff from in-development game projects here.

Is the recommended C# Debug workflow to just open the "mppmNUMBERS" sln and attach that SLN to its editor process instead?
    - If it is, I'd recommend a button that does that from the Editor MPPM UI.

I really want this feature to work. So... if there's anything more I can do to help just let me know: refining use-cases, a really robust editor pipeline that touches a lot of editor hooks that I'd be happy to share with Unity's internal team as a test-bed, etc... On a side note, my day job is in developing a GBaaS's SDK for both Unity and Unreal so... I'm invested in this working in multiple fronts.

PS: If this is not the place for this kinda of feedback, just direct me to the correct place in the forums.

49. Brainshack

Brainshack

So I have now switchted to Netcode for Entites and now I get this weird error:

Asset Database is set to Read Only, but it has found out-of-date assets. This should not happen!

No idea what causes it and it has no more details.

50. bugfinders

bugfinders

Theres a post somewhere about this, and even a line i think to fix it.....