Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving Torque3D characters to Unity3D

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by vladpiranha, May 18, 2015.

1. vladpiranha

vladpiranha

Like many here, I'm a refugee from the Torque3D community. I finally decided to give up and make the leap over to Unity. Unity has been really accomodating for all of my resources so far, but characters remain a problem. Characters made for Torque had to be facing northward in the top view of 3dsMax (+Y) in order to be facing the correct direction when brought into the engine. I find that Unity is quite the opposite, with characters facing southward by default (-Y). I already have some really nice animations in the Torque-style orientation that I would really like to salvage and am wondering if that's possible. Rotating an animation in 3dsMax not as simple as it sounds, of course. Is there a way to alter how my characters export or can I somehow get Unity to use it properly as-is?

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

hi, welcome to unity!

what about parenting your character under an empty gameobject, you can then rotate the child object(the character) to face the correct direction and use the empty parent as the correct axis.

karl

3. vladpiranha

vladpiranha

I've heard about this solution, but one question bothers me. Is a humanoid avatar still useable even though it bends backwards (and has distorted thumbs) or do I stick with a generic one. My characters will all be using the exact same skeleton.

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

What do you mean it bends back and has distorted thumbs? Can you post a picture, it could be that you have the bones incorrectly mapped.

5. vladpiranha

vladpiranha

This is what I've been getting. This is in spite of being very particular about which hand and fingers are which. The head, hands, and especially the feet distort violently to position themselves as though the character is facing the other way.

Attached Files:

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Looks like the bones mappings have gone wrong. Click on the mappings tab and make sure each bone is correct.