Search Unity

Moving project that uses packages to another workstation

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by sqallpl, Mar 18, 2019.

1. sqallpl

sqallpl

What's the correct way of opening a project (that uses packages from Package Manager) on a new machine/system? I know that the packages are stored in the user files so I'm wondering what's the proper way to migrate the project.

Should I just open the project on the new machine and let the Package Manager ('resolving packages' phase that is visible with every project launch) check and download them automatically? Or maybe it won't download anything and I would have to download all packages once again?

I'm using HDRP and some other packages and I'm wondering if it's possible that some references would be lost at the first launch (if the enabled packages are not downloaded yet).

Should I copy 'Packages' folder (the one under the project directory) with manifest.json when moving project to another machine/system?

Thanks.

2. jasons_unity

jasons_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi sqallpi,
    I would say that your best option is to copy the project including the Packages folder. Any packages that are not included in your Packages folder are located in your project's Library folder. If you do not copy the Library folder, these packages will be re-downloaded when you start your project on the new computer.

Hope that helps,
    Jason

3. sqallpl

sqallpl

@jasons_unity ,

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me if the package check and package re-download process will happen before assets re-import/asset library build process on the first launch?

I assume that package manager check is performed before that because I can see the 'resolving packages' windows as the first thing when regularly launching any project.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  4. jasons_unity

jasons_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, re-downloading process will occur before asset importing.

In addition to by previous comment, it is recommended not to share the Library folder as described in point 6 and 7 here :
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ExternalVersionControlSystemSupport.html

I figured I should mention this as I was not aware of this advice at the moment of my previous comment :)

unityunity