Search Unity

Moving project from Unity to Unity Android/iOS? Converting from Android to iOS?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by LeftyTwoGuns, May 19, 2013.

1. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

I originally posted this on the Android forums but it doesn't seem nearly as active as this one.

I'm just getting started with Unity but I'd like to plan a head. I want to make and publish a game for both iOS and Android and was just wondering about the process before I get in deep.

I know that building a project for iOS on Windows, especially for phone/tablet is not really viable at all. But I don't have a Mac and don't have an iPad/Pod/Phone. I do have a Windows PC and a variety of Android tablets, though. I was just wondering how simple (or not) it is to convert an Android project to iOS when I eventually can get the Mac devices and those licenses.

Also, I can't quite put down $400 for an Unity Android license at the moment but I don't want to waste time, so I'm wondering how much of an Android/iOS game project you can build in the regular Unity engine before needing to develop solely in Unity Android/iOS? And how simple (or not) it is to move all those assets from regular Unity to Unity Android/iOS. Thanks!

2. renman3000

renman3000

So, if I am correct, you are simply wondering, if you build for one, Android or iOS, then want to port over to the other, how hard is it? What do you have to do etc? I may not be 100% correct, but I think I am. I believe you first, obviously need to purchase the other license, but then under build settings, you have the option of what you are building for. I imagine it is just clicking Android. Or iOS etc. I don't believe there is any coding involved.

3. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

Ya, that's pretty much my first question. The process involved with moving a project from Android to iOS and vice versa. Compatablilties, how well Unity handles it, etc.

My second question is more pressing, though. I'd like to start developing as soon as possible but can't acquire either an Android of iOS Unity license at the moment so I was wondering just how much of a mobile game you can create in regular Unity and how easy/hard it is to convert those assets over to the respective mobile Unity programs.

4. renman3000

renman3000

Quite a bit. In theory, all of it. The only issue, which is quite a big one, is testing for optimization.