Search Unity

Bug "Moving Logs/shadercompiler-AssetImportWorker0.log" error at editor launch

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by _eternal, Aug 30, 2021.

1. _eternal

_eternal

Whenever I boot up the Unity editor (2020.3.14), I get the following error message.

Moving Logs/shadercompiler-AssetImportWorker0.log to Logs/shadercompiler-AssetImportWorker0-prev.log: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Then I click Cancel a couple of times, the error goes away, and the editor loads as expected.

Normally you'd expect this to be related to syncing your project to Google Drive or something. But my project folder is not connected to any cloud service - it's only connected to a local backup manager that copies it to another directory on my local hard drive, and this only runs once per day. Also, I haven't changed this configuration in ages, and this error only appeared within the last couple months.

I know the Unity editor tends to be extremely buggy, and some problems come and go. Just wondering if anyone has found a solution to this or knows what might cause this.

Foodacted likes this.
  2. Pflosch

Pflosch

Same here, 2020.3.16f1 and also after upgrade to 2020.3.19f1.
    Would appreciate any hint.

3. OnlyHardProjects

OnlyHardProjects

The same thing happened to me, just go to the root directory of the project:
    Your_projectName\Logs\
    AssetImportWorker0.log
    Packages-Update.log
    shadercompiler-AssetImportWorker0.log

move all these logs into a new folder called "old", (you have to kill all unity processes on the task manager, otherwise you won't be able to move these files).
    Note: You can move, but you can delete then anyway
    And your problem is solved i guess

Morseliot, sparkwd, bing2 and 2 others like this.
  4. fozzy2k11

fozzy2k11

This worked for me, thank you! :)