Search Unity

Moving Freelook camera with an Xbox (or any) controller

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by mrCharli3, Mar 11, 2019.

1. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

How can I change so that I can move the camera around with the right stick of a controller, as well as the current (default) mouse bindings?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Just change the Input Axis Name to be the one you want, from the Input system.

upload_2019-3-13_11-11-27.png

3. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

Right, I saw that, so I added these 2 in my Input (now have 2 Mouse X and 2 Mouse Y Inputs):

From my understanding, that should be enough? but must be missing something.

EDIT:
    Even if I change the Input axis name to "asdasddas", which is not a Valid input Axis, the input for moving freelook with my mouse still works. So that seems strange?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Can you try with different names, ones that are not duplicated?

5. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

I have, whatever I put inside "Input Axis Name", the mouse works, but the controller does not.

I changed the names to "Joy X", and "Joy Y", and replaced the Input in the pictures above with those names. does not work.

6. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Well that's just screwy. Are you saying the FreeLook is ignoring the input axis name you give it in its axis? Mouse X/Y is not hardcoded anywhere. Are you changing it in the right FreeLook? Do you have some other script that overriding it? To eliminate interference from elsewhere, can you reproduce the problem in a new, empty project?

7. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

99% sure everything is default. Ill try in a new project to make sure.

8. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

Ok so,

To move the camera with the mouse, I need to hold down Mouse(1).
    If I hold it down, while moving my joystick, it catually works.

So this is the issue. It only accepts the input when I hold down mouse(1), how can I fix this? I want that to be the behaviour for when I use my mouse, but obv wont work with a controller.

9. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

This last issue was just me being stupid, been so long since I made a script for the mouse input that I just thot it was default Cinemachine.

I've attached this script to my main cam:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class FreeLookUserInput : MonoBehaviour {
    3.     private bool _freeLookActive;
    5.     // Use this for initialization
    6.     private void Start()
    7.     {
    8.         CinemachineCore.GetInputAxis = GetInputAxis;
    9.     }
    11.     private void Update()
    12.     {
    13.         _freeLookActive = Input.GetMouseButton(1); // 0 = left mouse btn or 1 = right
    14.     }
    16.     private float GetInputAxis(string axisName)
    17.     {
    18.         return !_freeLookActive ? 0 : Input.GetAxis(axisName == "Mouse Y" ? "Mouse Y" : "Mouse X");
    19.     }
    20. }
    Any clever ideas on how I can limit this to when I use a mouse? Since I need the Axis name for mouse and gamepad input to be the same.

10. Zyrathius

Zyrathius

I'm still learning these things myself, so forgive me in advance but do the Axis names have to have the same name actually?

I would think you could have the mouse ones and the joy ones separate and then have an if() test to recognize if it were the joysticks input and then do it's own separate return minus the FreeLookActive. Then as an else use the mouse statement you have already that checks the mouse.

I suppose this only works if someone isn't using a mouse and joystick both at the same time, but that seems pretty unlikely in normal instances.

11. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

Yes, this is what I ended up doing :)