Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

moving back and forth on one axis

Discussion in '2D' started by andreas_mavromm, Sep 19, 2019.

1. andreas_mavromm

andreas_mavromm

Hey everybody,

I am trying to get an object to move back and forth on the X-axis (with no change in Y), similar to a moving platform you would find in any platformer.... I would use the MoveTowards function, but the only problem is that the MoveTowards function causes movement on both the X and Y axis, and I only want the moving object to move in a straight line back and forth across the screen.

So far I have this:

public GameObject objectToMove;
    public float leftXPoint;
    public float rightXPoint;
    public float moveSpeed;
    public Vector2 startDirection;
    public Vector2 changedDirection;

void Update()
    {
    objectToMove.transform.position += new Vector3(startDirection.x * moveSpeed * Time.deltaTime,
    startDirection.y * moveSpeed * Time.deltaTime, 0f);
    if (objectToMove.transform.position.x >= rightXPoint)
    {
    objectToMove.transform.position += new Vector3(changedDirection.x * moveSpeed * Time.deltaTime, changedDirection.y * moveSpeed * Time.deltaTime, 0f);
    }
    if (objectToMove.transform.position.x <= leftXPoint)
    {
    objectToMove.transform.position += new Vector3(startDirection.x * moveSpeed * Time.deltaTime,
    startDirection.y * moveSpeed * Time.deltaTime, 0f);
    }
    }

I have set startDirection to 1, 0 and changedDirection to -1, 0..... so that the object, as soon as it is instantiated, moves RIGHT in a straight line. However, when it reaches the point I have set for the right X point, the object simply STOPS and does not turn around and move in the other direction.

Any help?