Search Unity

Moving AddressableAssetsData folder

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by n-gist, Aug 16, 2019.

1. n-gist

n-gist

Hi!
    I moved AddressableAssetsData folder a little deeper in the project hierarchy to make it cleaner, and it seems that this does not disrupt the package, but some actions can re-create the folder, for example, when clicking on Analyze button. It doesn’t interfere much, and can be deleted, but it seemed to me that it would be nice if the package "knew its place" =)) ;)

kdserra and PlatinumEgg002_4 like this.
  2. unity_bill

unity_bill

there's no reason (I can think of right now) that we couldn't force AddressableAssetsData as the spot to put a new main asset (AddressableAssetSettings.asset), but then use the path of that asset for all future asset creation. Seems reasonable.

Xarbrough likes this.
  3. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

Is this supported in the current version? Like nick_gist said, it doesn't seem to break anything. However, I'd like to avoid surprises since I'm working in a team in which other developers may accidentally create the folder and may not be aware of its use.

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

What Addressables version supports to move the AddressableAssetsData directory to a different location?

Avalin likes this.
  5. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

Hey @Peter77, I asked the team and got this response

"None right now. It is on our list of things to do though I believe."

I hope this helps!

Peter77 likes this.
  6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thanks for the reply. Can you please make sure it's actually on the TODO list? The "I believe" doesn't sound very trustworthy :)

7. unity_bill

unity_bill

to clarify, this mostly works now, but has some edge cases not supported. So 'none' really means 'none support all case'. The analyze rule data we are planning to move to the Library (should have been there to begin with). If you have other examples of it not working, please let us know

8. DavidNLN

DavidNLN

Hi bill, this is an old thread, has this been fully done by now? is it completely safe to move the folder? any edge cases remain?

9. Avalin

Avalin

I can move it, but whenever my Addressables are built it will recreate it in the Assets folder so there seems to be no point...

10. Wilhelm_LAS

Wilhelm_LAS

What? Will i need to break my folder structure rules because of that simple package problem!?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
  11. Andy608

Andy608

Seems like this wasn't addressed yet. @unity_bill is there a link to a task that we can track for this? It seems a bit unreasonable that this wasn't looked at within the last 5 years.

12. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey y'all, so it looks like this isn't going to get prioritized anytime soon. I appreciate the desire for something like this, but given what we've had to prioritize recently, I doubt we get to this in a reasonable amount of time.

If you'd like to formally submit a feature request, you can use this link https://unity.com/roadmap/unity-platform/pipeline-integrations and scroll to the Roadmap section and change to the Runtime Asset Management tab. From there you can submit requests that get evaluated by our Product team and prioritized accordingly.

Andy608 likes this.