Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving a ParticleSystem - why does Unity interpolate its position?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Banderous, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Banderous

Banderous

I have a particle system that emits all of its particles in an immediate burst, since it represents a bullet impact. The particle system is moved to the point of impact (by modifying its gameobject.transform.position), before 'Emit()' is called. The particles must not follow the emitter once they have been emitted, so the particle system is set to simulate in 'world space'.

The problem is that particles appear in incorrect positions, particularly when the frame rate is low - it seems that the particle system interpolates the location of the emitter between its old and new positions over a number of frames, which I confirmed by adding a delay between updating the location of the particle system and the call to Emit().

Has anyone else encountered this behaviour? It seems elementary - how are we supposed to create effects like this (created with the legacy system) if this is the case?

2. lance2185

lance2185

Banderous,
    I would need to see the code in order to figure out what's happening with this. I do have a suggestion regarding another way to achieve the effect you are looking for, though: One of the ways that I create my OnHit weapon effects is to simply instantiate a prefab of that effect. Then it already has its position when it is created.

If you want to continue with the code you've written, however, I think people will need to see that code in order to determine what is going on.

Regards,
    -Lance

3. _Petroz

_Petroz

Make sure emitter.emit is set to false. The emit property will make it emit each frame in addition the burst from Emit()

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  4. Banderous

Banderous

Petroz - this is in reference to the new 3.5 particle system. ParticleEmitter appears to be a component of the legacy system.

Lance2185 - Thanks for the suggestion, but instantiating a particle system for each bullet impact entails significant overhead, and each particle system uses its own draw call.

Note - and this is crucial - the problem only reproduces in low framerate situations. To reliably reproduce this on my desktop I change my 'fixedTimestep' in project time settings to the minimum value (0.0001).

Here's an excerpt from the class I'm using to manager the single particle system:

public ParticleSystem explodingSystem;

public void spawnExplosion(Vector3 location, float maxRange, float damage) {
    explodingSystem.transform.position = location;
    explodingSystem.Emit(20);
    }

Pretty simple. I will try and put together a unity package that reproduces the problem.

5. Banderous

Banderous

6. d.eisenga

d.eisenga

I've also run into issues with particle bursts when using Time.captureFramerate - particles firing in the wrong position and direction - which didn't happen without it. Possibly related?

7. Banderous

Banderous

d.eisenga - yes, most certainly. I wasn't aware of Time.captureFramerate as a way to lock framerate, otherwise I'd have used it in my repro.

FYI Unity have accepted this as a bug - 461698.

8. jonboris

jonboris

I'm having exactly the same problem, have been googling all day for solutions!

Can't believe more people aren't complaining about this?

9. Banderous

Banderous

That was my reaction, and it's why I was hesitant to raise it as a bug straight away. Moving a single particle system is key to getting a lot of particles on screen at a decent frame rate, I don't know how else one would do bullet impact effects. I guess people haven't migrated from the old particle system, but still.

10. RElam

RElam

I'm finding that virtually any effect using world space is screwy. Even instantiating an effect and immediately moving it (so in effect this happens in zero time) and playing it manually will still cause this odd interpolation.

11. Patapouffe

Patapouffe

Having the same problem here with the interpolated particle system ! Lower frame rate makes this even worse. Its makes creating this effect impossible on iOS while keeping good performance. Unity please fix this interpolation issue!

12. Papatsu

Papatsu

We just came up with a workaround for this problem on one of our upcoming iOS-titles.

Code (csharp):
    2. ps.transform.position = new Vector3(0, 100, 0);
    3. ps.Simulate(0.005f, true);
    4. ps.Play(true);
    We haven't really experimented with how short you can simulate, but so far it works great for us!

kreso and samana1407 like this.
  13. StubbornMinion

StubbornMinion

Papatsu, thanks for your workaround, it's helped me with my problem.

For reference here's the issue in detail:
    I have a grid of GameObjects - basically, think the invaders of space invaders. They are moved left to right in discrete timed chunks, rather than smoothly animated. The Invader prefab has a ParticleSystem on it, which is set to go off when the invader dies.

What happens however is that in local space it's fine, but in world space it seems not to work at all, although on closer inspection you can sometimes - sometimes - see a few errant particles. The lack of the whole system in all its glory is very confusing; I can't tell if the system is out of position, hugley scaled up, or misfiring in some other way.

If I click the invader in the scene view and press the 'Simulate' button in the Particle Effect dialogue box, the same thing happens (usually nothing, occasionally something very wrong). On the second press however, it works. Perfectly. Again, in local space all of this behaves as expected, first time.

Using Papatsu's trick of simulating it slightly first has fixed the problem for me.

14. db82

db82

As an alternative to using Simulate(0.005f), this works for me if you need to move the system multiple times in one function call

Note: set the particle system to use WORLD space.

Code (csharp):
    2. ParticleSystem system;
    3. Vector3  position = Vector3.zero;
    5. while(true)
    6. {
    7.    position.x += 10;
    8.    system.transform.localPosition = position;
    9.    system.gameObject.SetActiveRecursively(false);
    10.    system.gameObject.SetActiveRecursively(true);
    11.    system.Play(true);
    13.    yield return new WaitForEndOfFrame();
    14. }
    You still get a slight delay between bursts while unity WaitForEndOfFrame executes.

15. DDowell

DDowell

This bug is still present in 4.0.0.f5. And in Flash, the workaround doesn't work around. Any news on this getting fixed?

16. Banderous

Banderous

This was clearly never fixed, yet the bug I raised was closed as fixed with the comment:

"The issue has been fixed and therefore the case has been closed"

In fact I have already tried to reopen it once having found that it isn't fixed, I'll try to reopen it again.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  17. tayl0r

tayl0r

Still happening to me on 3.5.6f4

Code (csharp):
    1.         if (m_particlePool.Count == 0) {
    2.             particle = Instantiate(m_coinSplashParticle, new Vector3(pos.x, m_particleYPos.position.y, pos.z), Quaternion.Euler(270f, 0f, 0f)) as CoinSplashParticle;
    3.         } else {
    4.             particle = m_particlePool.Dequeue();
    5.             particle._t.position = new Vector3(pos.x, m_particleYPos.position.y, pos.z);
    6.         }
    7.         yield return new WaitForEndOfFrame();
    8.         particle._particle.Play();
    If the particle comes from the pool it will play halfway between the old and new position =\
    The interpolation bug seems to be the culprit if I had to guess.

I thought maybe yielding until the end of frame would fix it but it doesn't. I also tried yielding for a whole second and it still doesn't play in the right position. The simulate() workaround did the trick though.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  18. akutruff

akutruff

I am trying to recycle my particles. I have one sub emitter set to world space. I SetActive(false) on the entire hierarchy. When I want to reuse the particle system, I move the particle system to it's new starting position, and then call SetActive(true). I then see a streak across my screen because it is interpolating between the sub emitters old position and new position.

Why is the bug closed?

19. tommy_smashworx

tommy_smashworx

I had this problem if I used Play(); and Stop(); but using enableEmission = true/false rectified it.

20. nocanwin

nocanwin

Still broken on 4.2. I'm sure they'll get to it in 5. They need to give us a reason to upgrade right? It's the Adobe model of software updates. ;)

Simulate(0.0001f) hack works for me.

21. badawe

badawe

Just to let you guys know, this need to be done yet in 4.3 =/

Code (csharp):
    1. foreach (ParticleSystem tParticleSystem in cachedEmitters)
    2.         {
    3.             tParticleSystem.Simulate(0.00001f, true);
    4.             tParticleSystem.Play(true);
    5.         }

22. topherr

topherr

Same issue in 4.2.2f1

It's frankly insulting that this bug is here for so long. Come on get it together.

23. DavidC02

DavidC02

Hey guys,

The Simulate hack works for me, but only the first time I run Play on the ParticleEmitter, if I want to run it again (without having to Instantiate the Particle System again), it doesn't show anything. Is there a work around for this?

Thanks.

24. DavidC02

DavidC02

I was trying this out, but it didn't work, the first time it works fine, but the second, it doesn't seem to play anything.

Code (csharp):
    2. hurtParticleSystem.particleSystem.Clear();
    3. hurtParticleSystem.particleSystem.Simulate(0.0001f, false, false);
    4. hurtParticleSystem.particleSystem.Play(false);

25. DavidC02

DavidC02

26. Torbach78

Torbach78

actually that will work now as a work around

unity 4 Shuriken will batch all emitters that use the same material {however Render mode = Mesh IIRC might break that}
    of course creating a giant atlas of particles takes some work

27. Cameron-Petty

Cameron-Petty

Unity 4.3.3f1 - using the simulate hack here, as well.

Filed another bug report.

Many thanks, Papatsu, for sharing that work around!

28. Nition

Nition

Cameron, have you got a link to the new bug, particularly in the new Issue Tracker?

Disappointing that the original bug for this was closed, but thanks Papatsu for the excellent workaround.

29. BigGreenPillow

BigGreenPillow

Having the same issue, does the simulate work around always reset the particlesystem?

I'm trying to use it with a blood particlesystem and every time I need to play it in a different location it resets the state of the old particles.

30. ChrisYummi

ChrisYummi

Oh my god, this is still not fixed! Just hit it today and I look at how long this thread has been going. Shame on you Unity - shame on you.

Unity is about making your workflow easier, but this has probably wasted months of peoples time in total.

31. Nition

Nition

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  32. josessito

josessito

HI, I was having the same problem. I had a particle attached to a child of an object I wanted to move around, and after a trigger, the particle system would start emitting (it was not a burst emission.) After I change the simulation space from "world" to "local" the issue was fixed. If else someone has this issue you should try that.

33. akuczera

akuczera

This bug..... so annoying.
    I found a solution by myself.

Disable the gameobject then just clone, move to the position and enable it. After you are done destroy it.

34. ForrestX

ForrestX

Bug still there in 4.5 ...

35. ForrestX

ForrestX

Cmon we can't instantiate a new particlesystem every time...
    this bug is 2 years old..it's time to fix it.

36. ForrestX

ForrestX

The last update didn't fix the issue...?!

37. ForrestX

ForrestX

No it didn't fix it... (4.5.4f1)

EDIT: if you change the project time to 2 (instead of 1), the issue is continous..

The problem is activating the gameobject and the particle system togheter.
    Logging the position at first frame it results zero, therefore I suppose unity needs an update cycle to update the position...
    is there a workaround?how can I update the position manually without waiting one frame??
    Is Unity support aware of this issue??

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  38. Nition

Nition

Did you try Papatsu's workaround?

39. ForrestX

ForrestX

Yes I tried it, but it doesn't work for me. I have particles on burst time 0 and they don't start anymore.
    It would have been resolved in 4.5.3 as stated here ?
    • Shuriken: Fix for re-enabled particle system which was disabled before it has finished
    Very disappointed...

40. Aedous

Aedous

I'm not sure if this will help anyone, but I had a similar issue when trying to figure out why my particles where emitting in the wrong position at a low frame rate.

I've only checked it out using the Shuriken System, and using Unity 4.6. I have a script attached to my particles and I'm calling ParticleSystem.Clear() on Start() on every particle system in the gameobject.
    Code (CSharp):
    3.     ParticleSystem[] ps;
    5.     // Use this for initialization
    6.     void Start()
    7.     {
    8.         ps = GetComponentsInChildren<ParticleSystem>();
    9.         foreach (ParticleSystem p in ps)
    10.         {
    11.             p.Clear(true);
    12.         }
    13.      }
    My particles are all using worldspace and constantly emitting, not using bursts. That seemed to stop the particles emitting at the wrong spots, but will have to play around to see if it happens again :(.

After some tests : After a few tries, I ended up also using Papatsu's method as well for particles that use burst emission.

Code (CSharp):
    1. ps.Clear();
    2. ps.Simulate(0.0001f, false, true);
    3. ps.Play();
    It seemed to have completely fixed the problem, hoping that would help point some people in the right direction.

Hope it helps!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  41. Andy-Lee

Andy-Lee

But what if I want to keep the previous particles? The approaches above will clear them. :(

Edit: Just after posting, I could think of a solution to solve this problem and have successfully get it to work -
    1. Use particleSystem.GetParticles to store the particles. You may also need to store particles for the child particle systems.
    2. Call particleSystem.Simulate or gameObject.SetActive(false); gameObject.SetActive(true); and move the particle system to the desired position.
    3. Use particleSystem.SetParticles to assign back the particles in step 1 to their particle systems.

Also, I found that Simulate(0f) and do the job. No need to use some weird numbers like 0.0001f. :D

Our particle systems work happily now even the frame rate is low. But we are still looking forward to the official fix on this problem.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    RonTang likes this.
  42. spotlightor

spotlightor

I found this problem using WorldSpace ParticleSystem with particles burst at time 0.
    I solved this problem by delaying the burst time a little bit (e.g. 0.05 second).

yashpal likes this.
  43. bug5532

bug5532

Bug still there in Unity 5.0 RC2
    Workaround is working for position, but not 100% for rotation :(

44. ronjart

ronjart

Im using RC4 and have the same problem. The hack is not working for me... The system wont start playing again.

45. Skyboard_Studios

Skyboard_Studios

Bump!
    Unity3D 5.0.0f4
    I have just ran into this issue when pooling particle systems (water splash). Seems everytime I restart the particle system it moves slightly....

I made a little video showing the bug. If you look in the Scene window you will see the particlesystem reference icon moving down after each instantiation.

I will try the workarounds and see what happens.

update: workarounds did not help. I thought I would try to avoid using the particle system with my pooling system and here are the results...

Still not working.. you can easily see the particle system continually spawning lower and lower....

Update:

I managed to get it working! After lots of testing and configuring I determined that i was trying to position the particles in a position that was not accurate based on the JellySprite plugin that I was using.

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void OnJellyTriggerExit2D(JellySprite.JellyCollider2D col)
    2.     {
    4.         Debug.Log("OnJellyTriggerEnter2D Trigger Exit " + col.Collider2D.name);
    5.         if (col.Collider2D.name == "Water") {
    7.             lastsplash = CFX_SpawnSystem.GetNextObject(watersplash);
    8.             lastsplash.transform.position = col.ReferencePoint.transform.position;
    10.         }
    11.     }
    using pooling system from Cartoon FX and JellySprite.

Whoo hoo!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  46. goatytimes

goatytimes

Wow. I can't believe something as commonplace as this is actually a bug, I figured it was something I did wrong.

Using Emit(particle#) instead of Play() seems to solve this issue for me. Though if I ever require something more advanced than one particle burst I may need to try the other workarounds here.

47. ufoRomantics

ufoRomantics

Oh crap:/ I just wasted 3 hours trying to fix the very same issue on my own.I gonna try these workarounds right now...

edit: spotlightor's workaround worked for me (delaying the burst time)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  48. geroppo

geroppo

Unity 5.1 bug still here :/

Papatsu's solution worked for me, I was using distance emission

Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  49. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

I'm having the same issue! 5.1.2p1
    Did someone reported this bug so I can vote?

50. tedd-hansen

tedd-hansen

Did a small test here in reusing particlesystem. Found a problem with some particles being emitted between locations.
    Using Unity 5.1.2f1.

I have highlighted some of them (there should be only 3 streams).

UnityParticleTest.png
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Add "Afterburner" prefab from ParticleSystems asset.
    2. Change "Start lifetime" to 10 seconds and "Start speed" to 8.
    3. Attach script from bellow to a gameobject in your scene.
    4. Link "Particle System" property on script with "Afterburner" instance in scene. (aka, drag it over to the script)
    5. Play around with "WaitForSeconds(0.5f)" value to see how particlesystem reacts.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    5. public class ParticleTest : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public ParticleSystem ParticleSystem1;
    8.     public List<Vector3> Locations = new List<Vector3>();
    9.     public int Current = -1;
    11.     // Use this for initialization
    12.     private void Start()
    13.     {
    14.         Locations.Add(Vector3.zero);
    15.         Locations.Add(Vector3.up * 5);
    16.         Locations.Add(Vector3.down * 5);
    17.         StartCoroutine(MoveAround());
    18.         ParticleSystem1.Stop();
    19.     }
    21.     public IEnumerator MoveAround()
    22.     {
    23.         ParticleSystem1.simulationSpace = ParticleSystemSimulationSpace.World;
    24.         while (true)
    25.         {
    26.             yield return new WaitForSeconds(0.05f);
    28.             Current++;
    29.             if (Current >= Locations.Count)
    30.                 Current = 0;
    32.             ParticleSystem1.Stop();
    33.             ParticleSystem1.transform.position = transform.position + Locations[Current];
    34.             ParticleSystem1.Play();
    35.         }
    36.     }
    37. }