Search Unity

MoviePlayer for Unity (plays MJPEG)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ShuuGames, Feb 19, 2014.

?

What codec support would you like to see next?

1. VP9 video + Opus audio (more advanced, royalty free, but less common)

10.3%
  2. h264 video + aac audio (less advanced, licensing and patent encumbered, but very common)

64.1%
  3. Both

23.1%
  4. Some other, please comment

2.6%
  1. MarkD

MarkD

Hi, thank you for your reply. I really love the asset, it is a lifesaver.

#pragma strict did get rid of the debug warnings, but still does not allow acces to the play variable. Your second suggestion worked flawlessly and re-moving after an update is not a big problem at all.

you did a very good job and I Unity should learn from it allot! Stuff like this should be standard.

Keep it up!

2. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

Thank you, you praise me too much :)

3. adam1988

adam1988

Hi!
    We upgraded your plugin recently and we still dont see the MoviePlyer actions in Playmaker. What should we do?

4. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

Please find "Assets/MoviePlayer/Playmaker actions.unitypackage" and import it. It will extract playmaker actions and one sample scene.

5. yuliyF

yuliyF

It's support .mp4 format -? Android 2.3 + - ? can I playing a few videos at same time ?

6. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

No mp4, only mjpeg (and some more that you care only if you know what you're doing). It does work on Android 2.3. Multiple videos at same time depends on video size and device performance. Primary target for this plugin is desktop where performance and file size are not issues, but it works on most if not all Unity build targets and devices.

7. Katana314

Katana314

There's a game concept I kind of want to prototype using this plugin, but one thing I'm kind of curious about accomplishing is transparentized movies; for instance, overlaying camera video on a static background. One possibility for this I know some people have used (when they're doing full coding of the entire video pipline) is a full-color video file mixed with a grayscale "alpha" video through some sort of filter or shader. I'd be curious if you think this could be a possibility with the interfaces the plugin provide? (I don't really expect it to be built into the plugin)

8. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

The video framebuffer is a regular Texture2D that gets its contents updated. Anything you can do with a texture in Unity can be promoted to use video instead of a still image. Transparent movies and various effects are no problem if you use the right shader. It could be color-key transparency, it could be two videos playing in sync, one feeding shader color channels, another feeding transparency (alpha) channel, or it could even be one video that's encoded into mpng that already has alpha in it (rgba per pixel), but mpng decoding performance is much worse than mjpeg.

9. rutkoski

rutkoski

Hi, is there a trial version of the plugin? I need to build an application that will run in Oculus Rift and it must have high quality (at least 1080p each eye, 60fps), so I would like to test it before buying. Maybe a watermarked version?

Thanks

10. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

1080p@60fps for both eyes can't do, but 720p@60fps for both eyes should work nicely on a good machine. You can maybe use the Standalone Feature Demo (links are in the first post of this thread) with Oculus too.

11. MarkD

MarkD

I can confirm, I have done exactly that oculus setup for a customer with cubemapped movies in a box projection for each eye to create a 360 degree movie. A trial is not needed. This plugin is a nobrainer for any kind of movie material you need in your game.

12. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

Made a video about how to use custom uGUI together with this plugin. It's moderately advanced and contains scripting, but first part of it is dead easy.

13. GtAwyFrmMyRamen

GtAwyFrmMyRamen

Hi! I bought this and got everything working correctly. My only problem is I have no coding experience and I would like to use this asset for cut scenes only. In other words I have no idea how to get it where when the video in done playing I can change scenes by calling this script:

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class LoadLevel : MonoBehaviour {
    void Example() {
    Application.LoadLevel("Main Menu");
    }
    }

And then move on to the next scene.

Is there a simple fix I missed? Or is there I way you could help me out with the scripting to accomplish this? Again I have no experience with scripting unfortunately.

14. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

Thank you. For doing something when playback stops you can write a component and attach it to movie player game object. Something like this (Javascript).
    Code (csharp):
    1. var sceneName : String;
    2. function OnStop() { Application.LoadLevel(sceneName); }
    And in C# (alternatively you could register to GetComponent<MoviePlayer>().OnStop event, but that's a bit too much code for this simple task)
    Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. public class LoadSceneOnStop() {
    3.   public string sceneName;
    4.   public void OnStop() { Application.LoadLevel(sceneName); }
    5. }

15. Mahdi-Jeddi

Mahdi-Jeddi

Thank you! This is by far the fastest and most reliable video player (and the only cross-platform) I've found in the AssetStore or unity itself!
    I thought that maybe I could make it even faster by loading multiple frames on multiple cores and the same time, but there is a problem:
    We all know that you can't call Texture2D.LoadImage from another thread. This function does 2 things: Decodes the image to RGB format, and sends it to GPU. The second part (the part that cannot be done on a separate thread) can be done with Texture2D.LoadRawTextureData and is like 1ms in my tests. The decoding part can in theory be done on a separate thread but here's the problem: Any JPEG library that I found is a lot (x10) slower than the Unity's decoder. So I'm stuck here. I just wanted to let you know. Maybe you have another solution to this.

16. Mahdi-Jeddi

Mahdi-Jeddi

If nothing there is a new feature on the roadmap for 5.3 that can help:

Graphics: Async Texture Upload
    A new feature that enables asynchronous loading of Texture Data from disk and enables time-sliced upload to GPU on the Render-thread. This reduces wait for texture GPU uploads in the main thread.

17. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

I've looked into it and your suggestions are sound. The major issue however is that it'd need platform native code that I've been avoiding.

Unity 4 and 5 both use FreeImage library internally to decode jpeg data streams. FreeImage in turn is built linking against libjpeg. Maybe UT has modified FreeImage or libjpeg, but I'm assuming that's not the case.

Therefore by calling Unity functions this plugin is ulitmately using libjpeg. There are more than 2x performant alternatives there like libjpeg-turbo which is used by major web browsers. It's designed to be compadible with libjpeg so I believe it'd be wise for Unity to switch to using FreeImage that's compiled against libjpeg-turbo instead of just libjpeg. I'm waiting for that day and that's why I haven't brought in platform native code to boost performance. Native code is always a hassle when supporting multiple build targets.

An interesting 5 year old and going FreeImage forum thread that can be summed up with the last post in there: "after all that years... is there any chance that libjpeg-turbo gets integrated by default into FreeImage?" :rolleyes:
    http://sourceforge.net/p/freeimage/discussion/36111/thread/fb51778d/

18. Mahdi-Jeddi

Mahdi-Jeddi

Wow! I didn't know any of this. Thanks for the reply :)

19. adroitandy

adroitandy

Hi,
    I am looking for an avi player for Unity, and this plugin looks really promising as it supports the MJpeg compression. Currenlty I am recording a video using Opencv from my webcam. The video plays fine in vlc but is distorted in Quicktime. I am attaching the sample video with this post, could you please test it and let me know if it works fine with this plugin so that I can buy it.

Thanks
    Andy.

Attached Files:

20. adroitandy

adroitandy

21. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

Does play, but it's "wide". The issue is that the video is interlaced 15fps, but is played back as 30fps non-interlaced using even and odd fields as full frames. This plugin doesn't support interlaced content (interlacing is now an awful remnant of analog TV era that should be avoided whenever possible, imho), but you could force it to be 4:3. Then the pixels wouldn't be square any more however.

22. jeremyabel

jeremyabel

Yesssss, buttery-smooth playback even at sizes of 2048x1024! Thanks for saving my bacon!

23. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

Cool, it's nice to hear that. That day may be soon when I can drop the safe 720p recommendation on desktops.

24. BonyYousuf

BonyYousuf

Hi,
    I am willing to buy your plugin but I need to be sure if it will meet my need. I have a game where there is an interactive tutorial for players on the standalone build. However on the mobile platform (windows, android, ios) for the lack of screen space I can't function that tutorial properly. My goal is to make a video tutorial for mobile platform instead. So people can just watch the video and learn the game mechanics. Here is what I need your player to do to meet my need.
    1. I would need it to fire an event at the end of the video, so I know that the player has finished watching the tutorial.
    2. Can I manually build a "-30 sec" button? So player can go back 30 seconds to rewatch a part of video?
    3. Will this player run in full screen on all three mobile platform(windows phone, android, iPhone)?
    4. My game runs in portrait mode, so I also want the fullscreen video to run in portrait mode. Is that possible?

Please let me know your answer on these questions. And if all is "yes" I am more than happy to buy your plugin :)
    Thanks

25. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

1,2,3,4 all possible, but it may not be the best use case for this plugin. High res mjpeg encoded clips will need larger files than more advanced video codecs for the same quality. On desktop it's not a problem, but on mobile it may be if the clips are long.

26. BonyYousuf

BonyYousuf

my tutorial will be only 3 min long. it needs to be 480p at the very least. What do you think would be the file size for this video?

27. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

Depends on the content, but I'd say not less than 100MB for a typical 3min clip, 480p at 30fps. If the content has identical video frames or the framerate can be reduced (maybe because each frame is hand drawn and there's a lot less of them than video frames) then the video file may become a lot smaller.

Best way to find out is to try what you've got and see the result. VLC can play it. Here's how to do it with FFmpeg
    Code (csharp):
    1. ffmpeg -i in.avi -vcodec mjpeg -qscale 4 -an out.avi

28. BonyYousuf

BonyYousuf

Thanks for your reply. I guess video tutorial is not really an option for me then. Thanks for your support nonetheless :)

29. ovirta

ovirta

Your asset seems very useful and includes most of the features that I am searching for: Video scrubbing and capturing frames from the clip.

What it seems to be lacking is the ability to shoot video on mobile (ipad, iphone) and use this video directly in an app.

Are you aware of a solution that would bridge this gap of converting video to mjpeg within my app, so that I could then utilize your asset?

30. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

I'm not aware of other plugins that can capture screen on mobiles so that it can be played back with this plugin. They use other video codecs that produce smaller files than mjpeg, but due to that they loose instant seeking possibility. Maybe, try searching "video capture" in Asset Store and see what's there. Only a few seem to be capable of even recording on mobile platforms.

The hard way to do screen capture is to script together Texture2D.ReadPixels for screen reading, Texture2D.EncodeToJpeg for encoding individual frames and then use AviRemux (from in this plugin) to put it all in an AVI container file. It'll probably work on desktop, but on mobiles it's more than likely to run into performance and file size problems.

31. ovirta

ovirta

Thanks for the quick reply. So far I haven't stumbled on a asset that would allow scrub and frame capture from video either. I am not planning on capturing the actual video via app but use system video camera for capture. From this video few frames would need to be extracted via scrub feature. Still few pieces of the puzzle are missing but your asset definitely is one of them.

If only there was an mobile ios asset for ffmpeg. :)

32. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

33. ovirta

ovirta

Thanks for digging up the ffmpeg/ios links. So far I've built ffmpeg libraries from sources on PC and dll can be used in the app without scrubbing. With ffmpeg saving the frames from video is easy.I am a bit concerned about the ios/ffmpeg combination as there might be unexpected issues in the long run making app support hard. Your asset is there fore very interesting. If only there was support/ability to use "normal" videos.

Usage would be pretty much as you described:
    - take video with system video camera
    - in the app choose the video
    - scrub video for specific frames
    - save chosen frames one by one
    - use saved frame images in Unity.

All of this should be done in the device within reasonable time.

Have you considered creating another plugin for avi/mpeg -> mjpeg conversion? ;)

34. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

Is the system video camera listed in WebCamTexture.devices? If so, then I can throw together a quick prototype to see if it can be efficiently captured to a mjpeg video directly, all inside unity. In fact earlier versions of this plugin could do uncompressed camera capture, but because Unity API couldn't be used to encode it back then, that functionality was dropped.

Using mpeg is a tricky business, not because it's technically difficult, but there is MPEG LA with its patent pool collecting royalties. Often end users don't need to care, but library/framework/engine writers do. That's why Unity uses Quicktime for importing videos and OGG/Theora for playback. Imho, it's best to stay clear from mpeg codec family. There are now license and quality-wise better alternatives to mpeg like VP9. It hasn't completely matured yet, but Google is behind it and many web browsers already support it too. Last time I checked it was as experimental codec in ffmpeg. One day I make time and bring VP9 to Unity as a plugin.

I like to keep things simple, no potential patent issues, no potential GPL poisoning issues, no potential royalty fee issues to whoever uses this plugin.

pancur likes this.
  35. ovirta

ovirta

36. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

1st gen Nexus 7 tablet (2012) test. Video capture with Unity own API is not too satisfying, barely usable, but the tablet is rather old too. Newer ones may be better. On desktop this approach seems good. Used this script TempScreenCapture.cs

Camera capture resolution 640x480. Pixel copy from camera to texture 25ms, encoding 42ms, mjpeg encoded video frame size ~10..40k. Assuming optimistic 35% overhead we get max ~10fps capture framerate, ~250kB/s data rate.

Screen capture resolution 1280x720. Pixel copy from screen to texture 150ms, encoding 140ms. Practically unusable.

37. ovirta

ovirta

Nice work. Tried your script and on laptop no problems getting 30fps using 480p. With 720p frame rate is dropping closer to 15fps. Probably it will be almost impossible to get reliable 30fps on mobile even on newer ones.

I was playing little with coroutines. Haven't used them in any real scenario so not sure if they would help in this situation but what if the wct.GetPixels32() result would be put separate data structure (e.g. static List<Color32[]>) and then processed one by one in separate thread using StartCoroutine(coroutineFunction());. That would free the main thread to only capture video frames.

Some memory constraint is probably needed to limit how many frames can be queued but maybe it would work on shorter clips with decent frame rate?

38. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

Coroutines won't help, they do code scheduling within main Unity thread. A non-native code thread won't help either, because it can't call anything from UnityEngine namespace and all the processing needs to be coded in managed C# which is multiple times slower than code in UnityEngine namespace (which is written mostly in C++ afaik). For performance the encoding part and maybe the capturing part too has to be done outside Unity in a native code library (or separate process). That library in turn could use hardware acceleration if that's available. Native code and especially hw acceleration would either kill portability between build targets or cause a lot of code maintenance overhead, because each platform needs it's own native library. For one build target it's not too bad, but supporting many is a challenge :)

For your case, if the device has a lot of RAM, then you could maybe capture a thousand textures without encoding or encapsulating within a container format. Then just draw them to make a movie or encode afterwards which would take longer than capture. This is of course if all is done within Unity and without touching native code. With native code, especially if optimized for specific device, one can do wonders. I could take and make it work, but it'd be separate work from this plugin and it'll be more than a few days.

Sorry for long rant :)

39. ovirta

ovirta

Didn't sound like a rant to me :)

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/280597/new-thread-vs-startcoroutine.html supports your comments on threads vs coroutines. Probably starting separate threads might help a little but not enough to give performance needed. For video encoding/decoding the native plugin is most likely needed.

For my own needs in the pc environment ffmpeg is enough to get started as it is enough to convert few seconds of video to still pictures and this I already have in my Unity project. Main target platform is ios and UNITY_IOS hooking is needed. AVFoundation is providing necessary apis but this is still academic discussion since I don't have mac yet to build these :)

After I have the stills captured from the video could your plugin be used for scrubbing and choosing specific ones?

Really appreciate your valuable comments and advice!

40. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

If you've got a thousand pictures, then it won't do, it has to be one file. But a good thing is that if you can't encode it to mjpeg in avi, then just concatenating jpg picture files will create a file that is close enough to elementary mjpeg video stream, and this plugin is able to load it. Since that concatenated file doesn't contain video metadata, you may want to override default framerate and video aspect ratio from your scripts. But even if you don't do that, you can still play back the video. All of it works on iOS.

Code (csharp):
    1. // That's how to override video metadata after the clip has loaded
    2. var vsi = GetComponent<MoviePlayer>().movie.demux.videoStreamInfo;
    3. vsi.height = 1280;
    4. vsi.width = 720;
    5. vsi.framerate = 25;
    7. // but it's possible to set these before loading the clip like this:
    8. var vsi = ...;
    9. GetComponent<MoviePlayer>().Load(..., new LoadOptions { videoStreamInfo = vsi });
    11. // That's how to access currently visible video frame Texture2D
    12. Texture2D fb = GetComponent<MoviePlayer>().framebuffer;
    Please take a look at this video about how to make a seek bar too :)

41. ovirta

ovirta

Thanks again for info and tutorial. The seek speed of your plugin is impressive!

Not really happy about the idea of creating a platform specific plugin but that is most likely needed. Would be optimal to have it out of the box in Unity (with your plugin of course :) ). I am currently doing more or less what you are suggesting above and as the number of frames will not be too big it shouldn't be an issue (10s * 30fps), even the total size of the files should be reasonable with 1080p.

For end user it not optimal either as the position of the video file needs to be located via system camera app outside of my app. Maybe later on that needs to be resolved (and it is not a big deal really as there are other issues to tackle too).

42. ovirta

ovirta

Just to document here if someone finds it useful regarding IOS video frames to stills. Unity's IOS Native asset provides Gallery access (among other things) to retrieve video clip. After finding correct location in video file AVFoundation can be used retrieve frames at specific times. Haven't used IOS AVAssetImageGenerator but seems straightforward.

Then only thing left to do then is to present user with ability to choose correct frames e.g. via Movie Player asset.

43. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

What you're doing should be simpler, but it can't be helped. I hope it'll all play nicely along in the end. Let me know if there's anything I can do or how it went :)

44. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@ShuuGames Do you know if there is a way to change Playback speed? I'm trying to implement a rewind/fast-forward feature, and was hoping that there would be some type of built-in functionality.

45. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

For this there is moviePlayer.framerate that you can change. It has to be set in script.

46. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@ShuuGames I was trying to access that in a script, but it said that was a read-only index accessor. Do you know is there another way to change the framerate?

47. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

It used to be read only. In latest version in Asset Store it can be written too. If updating is not an option, then you can use this method. It does exactly what the framerate setter does, written as a function:
    Code (csharp):
    1. void ChangeFramerate(MoviePlayer mp, float newFramerate) {
    2.   if (mp.movie != null && mp.movie.demux != null && mp.movie.demux.videoStreamInfo != null) {
    3.     mp.videoTime = newFramerate == 0 ? 0 : mp.videoTime * mp.framerate / newFramerate;
    4.     mp.movie.demux.videoStreamInfo.framerate = newFramerate;
    5.   }
    6. }

48. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@ShuuGames Thanks for the info. I'll look at the update and if not, I'll implement your method. Do you know if this would work for rewinding, or would that require different logic?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  49. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Ok, it looks like I figured out rewind. I added a bool to MoviePlayer called isReverse, then in HandlePlayheadMove() I subtracted the time if isReverse is true. Then in HandleLoop() I added a check that loops if they reach the beginning of the video and sends it to the end of the video if isReverse is true. That worked perfectly. Thanks for including the source. That really helps with extending the functionality.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  50. ShuuGames

ShuuGames

I'm glad it worked out. That's the beauty of full source. If you've made changes to plugin sources, then please be careful when updating this asset from Asset Store later on or you could send me the changes an I'll integrate them into the main code tree :)