Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Texture problems

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Butterworth, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Butterworth

Butterworth

So we have a game that plays movies onto textures.

I have had great success using native code plugins to play the movies, but I am having a few problems using the built in movietexture.

When you play a movietexture, there seems to be a large CPU spike when the movie ends. Normally when you only play one unique movie, this doesnt cause an issue, but when you play multiple movies, it can actually cause a movie's audio to rapidly loop the end of it's audio. This occurs even with small movies, like 256x256 pixel.

Looking at the profiler, I see a huge jump in the "overhead" element of the CPU category when a movie ends. This also occurs if the movie was set to loop.

The overhead jumps from approx 1 - 3 ms to about 26ms for approx 20 frames

I have found two somewhat lousy work arounds to this problem.

1) Add approximately 1 second of silence to the end of the movie to ensure the looping occurs with silence
    2) Seperate the audio from the movies

One other bizzare thing is, even when you preview the movies in the Unity editor, they will skip/loop the audio at the end. I am mystified why this issue hasnt occurred for anybody else. I found no mention of it when googling.
    The movies in question are OGV movies that play fine in VLC

[EDIT] It appears if I do not play the audio portion of the movies, the spike is almost non-existent.

Can anyone provide any insight into this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  2. ViliamVolosV

ViliamVolosV

I have same problem right now. And i dont find the solution.