Search Unity

Movie in Unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stuthemoo, Jul 13, 2006.

1. stuthemoo

stuthemoo

Hi,

Is it possable to play a quicktime clip in
    Unity during playing a game e.g.

You walk into a collider and a quicktime
    movie plays on the screen as this would be
    very useful so games can have cut-seances?

Thanks,
    Stu :wink:

2. jeremyace

jeremyace

I don't have time to find the link for you right now, but there have been many post about this, try a forum search. You can play quicktime movies in Unity, but they have to be VERY small because of the way Unity handles them currently. You can't really do cut scenes with Unity right now... The quicktime supports was really meant for animated textures AFAIK.

-Jeremy

3. AaronC

AaronC

I've yet to try it but when I do it will be like this:
    Use final cut or whatever to export a sequence of video as a set of still images. Use maya to create an image sequence on a primitive like a plane or cube. Import that into Unity, and hopefully we're cranking. If that fails, theres a script floating round(do a search on the forum)that updates textures every frame(I think every frame) so will use my still image sequence this way

Align and parent with camera and maybe add the timed object destroy function to make it vanish to reveal the next scene/level
    AC

4. jeremyace

jeremyace

Good luck working in a full motion cut-scene/intro video with that method though. It would simply take too much memory unless it was compressed video.

The script Joachim made that Targos is referring to is on the wiki AFAIK, but again, you can't get a full video going with that. Only short stuff.

-Jeremy

5. AaronC

AaronC

Wouldnt you just have the movie as its own level, and load it independently of everything else?Damn Im gonna have to have a bit of a dry run on this one I feel
    AC

6. jeremyace

jeremyace

Well, the problem is you are limited by texture storage space. With Joe's script, you just create a lare texture file and show only parts of it using fun offsets. So you can only have as many "frames" as the memory can support, so you might as well use a quicktime file. Basically the same problem AFAIK. Unity's quicktime support decompresses the video file and stores each frame uncompressed in memory which is basically what you were going to do.

We need compressed video playback.

-Jeremy

Edit: I can't spell this time of night ;-)