Search Unity

Movement Animset Pro - CONTROLLER added!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kubold, Jan 4, 2014.

1. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

I am going to echo the request for bow and arrow animations. They would be excellent as an expansion to the rifle set or their own set.

eridani likes this.
  2. eridani

eridani

Haha it would be cool to get beat down by a mob of angry villagers. Or engage them in fisticuffs.

3. ZJP

ZJP

Happy Christmas.

Have you planned to add some dive/roll animations?

Look at 0:18, 1:00 or 5:44.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  4. eridani

eridani

Hi Kubold, did you read this post I made a few days ago? I was wondering if you would consider giving out your upcoming uber controller (should you make one) to customers who have bought all the individual animsets it contains. Thanks!

5. Licarell

Licarell

How hard would it be to convert your controller to a point and click...

Thanks.

6. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Hi,

I'm very interesting in your PRO and Basic male and female package.
    Some questions about.

1) Is the Male Basic Animation package included to the Pro package?
    2) Is the Female Basic Animation package included to the Pro package?

3) If not, would it be possible to combine the female and male package into the pro package and would it fit together?

I want to have a female and male character in my project and want to switch between them.
    So it's required to have the animation of the pro package for the female basic and male basic character separate.
    Would that be possible?

7. Kubold

Kubold

Hi,

1) yes, Male Basic Animation is a part of Movement Animset Pro
    2) No, this is just a sample of female animation pack, that is not yet available (but it will be)

I made those cheaper "Basic" packages, because some people need just basic idling and walking, for a point & clik adveture game for example.

3) All my animations, from all packages fit together. They are all played by the same actor and are all made for my game. So, for example, all loops start with right foot up, all walk and run starts blend together, all in-out poses are the same etc etc. Even swords and pistols blend together, all animations are a part of one big controller, I'm making.

8. Kubold

Kubold

Movement Animset Pro has been updated to version 1.5

The update adds 52 new animations!!! (the ones everybody asked for)

- strafe running
    - strafe crouching
    - throwing

and some more. Here's the new anims:

You don't have to download the whole pack if you already are working with it. You can just download the file with new animations (MovementAnimsetPro_RunStrafeUpdate.fbx) and unselect the rest.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    ZJP likes this.
  9. ZJP

ZJP

Happy with the news animations. But, missing roll.. :p

10. Kubold

Kubold

Well... I can't really do Gears' roll, exactly like that. I worked at Epic for 5 years (including Gears 1, Gears2, Gears: Judngment) - If I recreated this animation and started selling it, they would probably be very angry. Then again, I also sell the stuff on UE4, and Epic seems to have "all for you for free!" policy, so who knows.

Anyway, I'll try to make something similar, just more realistic.

11. ZJP

ZJP

Understood. ;)
    Fine for me. Do your best. As usual. :cool:

12. Kubold

Kubold

I did a little experiment - what would a giant Mech robot look like, plugged straight to Movement Animset Pro controller. Using the included mocaps, out of the box:

Jmonroe, kurotatsu and Ony like this.
  13. ivendar

ivendar

Thanks for the great work on your packs. Already bought some of them and great to see those got backwards and diagonal movement options in too.

PadBack likes this.
  14. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

I am a prospective purchaser. I just want to say, amazing work. I've looked over a lot of the mocap stuff, and the only thing that comes close in quality is the Mobility MoCap and similar packs, but they are significantly more expensive and perhaps less supported.
    While I have read the entire forum and do understand the costs of the motion capture studio, and I do appreciate your minor profit margins, as an indie I'd love to use these but the entire package breaks the budget currently. I am curious if you'd consider a mega pack with everything in one, and include that uber controller you're working on as well, at a bit of a reduced price (or at least specifically, I'm interested in the movement, rifle, pistol, cover, and prone stuff, perhaps the uber controller could be dynamically flexible to utilize what's available instead of requiring everything?).

Keep up the good work, hope you can provide a mega pack as I can't quite justify $65 (movement) + $50 (rifle) + $40 (pistol) + $50 (cover) + $15 (prone)... Need to keep a little budget for a few other things :) I'd even be interested in a bundle of just movement, rifle, and pistol... otherwise I may just have to pick up movement and hold off for a while on combat aspects.

Side note, I am looking to incorporate this with Morph3D's morphing character system, I've had a little trouble with mapping the lite characters, if you get a chance I'd love to hear your experiences there (would it be better to replace the Morph3D avatar with yours still?)

15. Kubold

Kubold

Making a mega packs is a little bit problematic, because I have no idea how would I price it. Right now all my packs have about 900 animations, but in a year it will be 2000 probably... I'll need to think about it. At least upgrading is not a problem now, since Unity has this functionality.

16. Kubold

Kubold

Up-to-date character changing tutorial:

17. Serepa

Serepa

Hi Jakub! I know that such kind of questions is out of package support, but I really interested to hear the opinion of some professional and so experienced animator like you, and just don't know anyone else to ask. I've been working on controller for top-down shooter like in your pistol package(which I also bought and examine), and trying to solve "legs crossing on strafe blending" problem.

Strafe45(135)DegLeft(Right) animations doesn't solve the problem completely as you know. It's just reduces the areas of blendtree where it happens. I have few ideas which I didn't have enough time to check yet, but I googled a lot and looks like there is still no good and simple way to handle this problem. Could you please give any clues and hints about solving this problem with your animsets in Unity's Mecanim? Thanks for well done job anyway! Your animation sets definetly worth their money.

18. Kubold

Kubold

Hi,

First thing to realize is that if you have 2 legs and you want to strafe in 360 degrees, then there unavoidably will be 2 angles when the legs will cross. Always. Even if you would produce 360 walking animations for every agle, there would still be 2 angles when the legs cross. Fortunately, the leg crossing can happen only in half of the walk cycle time, the other half is when the legs are apart.

What you can do to prevent crossing from happening:

- you can resign from strafing in non-combat situations alltogether. Strafing is something people do ONLY in sports and combat in real life. In non-combat situations (Movement Animset Pro is a non-combat animation set), people just turn to desired direction and walk forward to get there. That's why all TPP AAA games do that (Uncharted, Tomb Rider, Assassin's Creed, Witcher etc.). Not only the movement will be more realistic, but also problems with legs crossing will disappear.

- you can stop the blendspace from blending further, if a) the walk cycle is in legs crossing phase, b) this is the angle when crossing can happen. When the walk cycle reaches the phase when the legs are apart, or the angle changes, you can resume with blending further. This solution will work well visually, but players will sometimes experience unresponsiveness of controls.

- use IK to prevent legs crossing and this is the best solution actually. If you are in the angle when feet can cross and in the cycle phase when the feet do cross, then move one or both feet by couple of centimeters for a moment, so they are apart. Mecanim has built in IK, so this is really easy.

Btw. about IK. I noticed that many devs are terrified of IK. If you are not, and you use it all the time, then you may stop reading:), but for all of you who didn't ever even try: I heard a lot of excuses, that it's too difficult, that it will kill the framerate, that it's not elegant and it's better to add more animations than use IK. This is all just not true.

Please, use IK whenever you can. First of all this is an amazingly powerful tool, which can modify your animations almost entirely to your needs.

- It's really infinitely better to just add one IK effector to, for example, lower a gun, than add another 50 animations when character walks with lowered gun.

- Also if you use Mecanim Humanoid animations, you don't have to be afraid that IK will lower your framerate. Humanoid rig IS AN IK RIG. It's already ON on whole body.

- It's very very easy! Look:

Check out what IK can do with 5 minute quick IK setup:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Jmonroe, TeagansDad and Serepa like this.
  19. Gametyme

Gametyme

Is it possible for you to add a rpg and mini gun animation to one of your packs?

20. Kubold

Kubold

I have plans for a minigun set. As for RPG, I think Rifle Animset Pro will work quite good for that, I would just need to make some reload, equip etc.

21. Serepa

Serepa

Oh yeah! I'm not terrified of IK at all, I already use it a little bit and love it. And now love it even more. My main idea was to stop blending on legs crossing phase by transition or somehow else but I think it would consume much more time and be more difficult to implement. Another ideas I even ashamed to voice now! :D S***! It is so obvious now but for some reason just didn't come into my head. I agreed that it is a fastest and easiest way... Thanks a lot!

22. Kubold

Kubold

More on that subject:

Look at Max Payne 3. This is a very good example of solving TPP combat with quite realistic movement patterns. Max essentially never strafes in classical meaning, while the player feels that he does. But he doesn't really, even in combat - if you press left or right, Max will turn left or right, start running forward, while at the same time he twists his upper body and arms on additive animations and IK to aim where camera aims. When you let go of the button, he will stop running and quickly rotate in place to align with camera. This makes the movement natural and eliminates the legs crossing problem.

This is what I'm talking about - strafing is not really natural to humans. Well, maybe in boxing or tennis, but that's a whole different story and you don't cross legs in that sports even in real life.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  23. Gametyme

Gametyme

@Kubold, when do you plan to release these?

24. Kubold

Kubold

I don't have any deadlines, so I can't give you any dates really. Right now I have plans for sets:

Female "works" (various daily activites for npc)
    Male "works"
    Brawler
    Greatsword
    Longsword
    Spear
    Action movement (like in "Prototype" game)
    Takedowns (synced on 2 people, lethal and non-lethal)
    Dialogue
    Pistol and unarmed covers (I think I'll just expand the existing rifle cover set and rise the price)
    Bow
    Minigun
    Climbing
    Swimming

Not necessarily in that order. I could easly do pistol covers or takedowns first. It all depends on actors availability, my own projects and simply what I currently feel like doing. So for example if I'm "in the zone" and I constantly watch UFC for a month, I will rather do brawler and takedowns set than swimming set if you know what I mean ;)

And in between making new sets, I also often update current sets with new stuff, that also takes time.

All these sets need to have 2 versions - for Unity and separate for Unreal. There could easly be just one version, but Asset Store anims are not allowed to Marketplace, and Marketplace anims are not allowed to Asset Store, just "becasue". This is just becasue politics, since both versions can run on both engines. This is enough to keep me occupied for 2-3 years, unless I go out of bussiness :).

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    montyfi likes this.
  25. Gametyme

Gametyme

I vote for the minigun.

26. montyfi

montyfi

Brawler please! :)
    You are doing the best job in asset store. My only wish to have your animations on sale from time to time. So want them all!

Licarell likes this.
  27. ZJP

ZJP

This. Perfect to complement existing packs.

28. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Ninja movement + stealth, and cover, with dual wield weapons, would be choice, and a break away from sea of military, and common fantasy genres.

I know Tim from Motion Controller fame, loves your anims, as do I.

I only wish, your systems came in non playmaker scripts so the rest of us coders/artists/developers could enjoy the systems you've put together.

Best of luck, and I'm glad you are doing what you are doing.

29. Kubold

Kubold

I actually now know why Unity never puts my assets on sale. Looks like I just need pretty graphics with my animations. The untextured dummy characters from my packages are just not marketable :)

kurotatsu likes this.
  30. montyfi

montyfi

Interesting, I thought it is other way around, sellers asked Unity to add their assets to sales.
    And your characters actually looks pretty neat!

31. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I think your anims are top notch, and beam with AAA quality.

I'm always checking your publisher page on the asset store to make sure I don't miss anything you put out.

32. Kubold

Kubold

Yes, you fill out a form and submit your products for sales. And then Unity picks the assets that they think will look good on sales and make tons of money. They never ever picked my asset, and I think it's because of ugly screenshots that don't show how pretty Unity can be. I admit I don't really care enough about still promotional images, so it's kind of my fault. I hope it will change now. That's one of the reasons I made some 3d models for Movement Animset Pro.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    TeagansDad, kurotatsu and montyfi like this.
  33. Hazor

Hazor

Hello

I think playmaker 1.8 (The version compatible with unity 5.3 in assets store) breaks the controller movement, the input arrow always faces forward and don't rotates.

34. Kubold

Kubold

Hi,

This is a bug caused by PlayMaker 1.8 beta.

In PlayMaker 1.8 one of the most important Actions - Smooth Look AtDirection - changed from being infinite to finite(so in new version, when the object finishes rotating, the action turns itself off, instead of continuing infinitely). This breaks all my controllers, since they rely heavily on Smooth Look At action.

Quick fix for now is to replace ...\Playmaker\Actions\SmoothLookAtDirection.cs Action from v1.8 with theSmoothLookAtDirection.cs Action from v1.7.x

I will include the old SmoothLookAtDirection.cs as a separate action in next updates, but it will take some time, since I have to click through all SmoothLookAtDirections in all my controllers.

Frankly, this decision to make this very important Action "finite" is very bad in my opinion. This change breaks ALL playmaker games, templates, wip games - everything, that ever used this Action. This messes up the code of all things made in PlayMaker to this date. It would be much better if they just made an entirely new Action, like "SmoothLookAtDirectionFinite.cs", instead of messing with the already established Action, which has been tested and proven to work for years.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    TeagansDad and kurotatsu like this.
  35. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I just bought a copy to support ya and because the anims are top notch, with such seamless transitions, though I was a little disappointed that when looking at the animation list on your website, I didn't see a sneak/crouch fwd,back,strafe left and right(with a cross step for the strafing directions.).

Any chance of getting those animations in for another movement option?

And a forward back left and right roll from crouched, would also be choice.

36. Kubold

Kubold

Not sure what you mean? The animations you mentioned (except rolls) are all included in the pack. They are also in the animation list... you are talking about Movement Animset Pro, right?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  37. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Excellent, bought it, and have been working all weekend plowing snow, haven't had a chance to go through it.

Sorry for the confusion.

A lean against wall and peak around cover set with left and right movement would be my only request then.;)

Edit:

Should added enter and exit from standing, and from crouched/sneak.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  38. Maurice-Hoffman

Maurice-Hoffman

I have some problem with the GI lighting, why is my scene so dark. I tried everything to fix this.
    Who can help me ? Knipsel.JPG

39. Kubold

Kubold

This is caused by image effects. Go to the camera and remove the "Tonemapping" image effect script.

Other way to make it look ok is to switch to Linear color mode and Deferred rendering.

40. Maurice-Hoffman

Maurice-Hoffman

Thanks it worked perfect, are you going to add climbing to the movemement set like you did with the female pack ?

41. Kubold

Kubold

Yes, I think so.

42. ivendar

ivendar

Hey, :)

If you have bit spare time to answer some hobbyist a few questions about using playmaker with animations I would be happy to get some help here. Or someone else of course. ^^ Because I have some real strange behavior using your jump animation in my controller and I'm not even sure why. Basically my character is floating for half a second after a jump before it falls down. But animation itself seems to look ok but it is also something about the animations because if I change it I don't have that behavior, so it's very confusing for me. So when I used a different jump animation it worked without that problem so it's propably not about the playmaker controller, but your character doesn't have that problems.. mh mhmh...

Also would like to ask for another added animation or guide ? ^^ I would really love to see some more falling animation with less arms waving. More like in actual rpgs where you jump with arms hovering to side a bit and not wave around that fast but being more cool for longer time. Doesn't feel that herolike as it's right now but hey you know fantasy games, magic, heroes, dragons and so on, he should not be like crying too fast if jumping down from a house, just jump and roll. Btw. are rolls in here already ? Have not looked yet so sorry for asking, if not that's another request. ^^ But maybe I'm missing something here as well about the armwaving and it's already possible to have it less. Hm yeah if you or someone else can give some advice or help that would be great. :)

43. Kubold

Kubold

For the first part of your post, I would need to see some video of what's happening, because I really can't figure out anything from the description, I'm sorry.

As for falling - you just seem to need another animation, because you don't like this one, simple as that :). Unfortunately pre-made, royalty free sets don't always fit perfectly to everyone's games - but they cost $60 instead of $6000, so it's a good tradeoff. I'll try to remember to add some more falling anims in next update.

As for rolling etc. - Movement Animset Pro is more like a casual movement set, rather than action set. Rolling doesn't really fit the posture and the tone of this set. Good news is, I already recorded Action Animset Pro - this will be a set PRECISELY for dynamic Hero movement with fast pacing, like in InFamus or Prototype games. It will include rolls, "heroic" fallling, giant jumps, over the top action and attacks, throwing cars and such. You will be of course able to mix it with all my other sets.

kurotatsu, Malbers and montyfi like this.
  44. ivendar

ivendar

Aye of course it's a good trade and I'm not unhappy with what I bought. :) It's just a request for some time in future or other pack as you mentioned as I feel something like this would be good to have available and I'm happy to buy such a pack. Iam aware that I can't expect everything and of course I looked at other places as well. But Problem was I found nothing working that heroic way. So I thought there's maybe some way to already get the look and I missed it. :)

About the short floating I'll try to record something if I notice it again. It's some weeks ago already when I had this problem then changed animations and now it seems to be gone if switching back to your animations. So propably I have something else different already, I think might have been about the physics as I had changes there about the friction. Or I missed something else and use a different combination of animations. Well I just make sure I make a short video if something like that happens again. Sorry to have that brought up but I was really surprised that it's suddenly gone as I was sure the problem is still there.. Confusing.. But yeah I'm happy it's gone for now. Thanks for the good work. :)

45. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

How hard is it to modify Play maker controller so it will be more like RE1 style?(turn before walk)
    fantastic animations btw!

46. giraffe1

giraffe1

Can you please add a walkturnleft/right sharp/medium/wide similar to the ones found in pretty much all the unity example projects revolving around movement/animation/root motion.

47. Kubold

Kubold

This is a good idea, I'll try to include it in next update.

48. giraffe1

giraffe1

Please check your conversation inbox, thanks.

49. Carterryan1990

Carterryan1990

Hey Kubold I’ve purchased almost all your animations and love them. I am curious if you ever plan on building a controller? You would dominate the market as all the other controllers for ex opisive and invector are absolutely horrible.

If you made one I would purchase it same day you released it :)

Please no play maker. Player maker seems harder to use then just coding.

Jmonroe and HuginnRaven like this.
  50. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hi there. I noticed this pack has been deprecated and removed from the store. Is that correct?