Search Unity

Movement Animset Pro - CONTROLLER added!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kubold, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Kubold

Kubold

Hi,

ok, when I have some free time, I'll try to post some screenshots. I also added a PlayMaker controller to the Rifle Animset Pro animations. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/15098

This conroller is pretty good for learning, and you can actually tweak it with little effort, so it uses Movement Animset Pro animations instead of Rifle.

2. Kubold

Kubold

3. Kubold

Kubold

The controller is added and the 1.3 package is now live!

4. 2dchaos

2dchaos

Hey @Kubold, I'm getting the following error repeteadly when using the controller:

Parameter 'Hash 1905486120' does not exist.
    UnityEngine.Animator:SetFloat(Int32, Single)
    HutongGames.PlayMaker.Actions.SetAnimatorFloat:SetParameter() (at Assets/PlayMaker Animator/Actions/SetAnimatorFloat.cs:104)
    HutongGames.PlayMaker.Actions.SetAnimatorFloat:OnUpdate() (at Assets/PlayMaker Animator/Actions/SetAnimatorFloat.cs:92)
    HutongGames.PlayMaker.FsmState:OnUpdate()
    HutongGames.PlayMaker.Fsm:UpdateState(FsmState)
    HutongGames.PlayMaker.Fsm:Update()
    PlayMakerFSM:Update()

any ideas? ;]

5. Kubold

Kubold

Hi, first time I hear about it, seems like a problem with an Action SetAnimatorFloat. I need to check it. Which Unity are you using? 4.6?

6. Kubold

Kubold

Ok, that's not an error (errors are the red, serious ones). That's just a warning. I need to dig a little deeper to see where it comes from.

7. 2dchaos

2dchaos

@Kubold I'm using Unity 4.5.4f1 with the last version of Playmaker

8. 2dchaos

2dchaos

@Kubold Thanks, that would help a lot, the warnings start accumulating and it drops the FPS after a while ;/

9. Kubold

Kubold

Ok, I more less know now where it comes from, but I need to dig through all the FSM's and find the wrong mecanim feed. It'll be fixed tommorow. I'll instruct you which action to delete (when I find it :)), so you don't have to wait for update. Updating a pack on the store will take about 7 days.

10. 2dchaos

2dchaos

@Kubold thanks ^^ Great animation set btw, it shows you're an amazing animator. Hope you get a swords/melee weapons set soon ;]

11. Kubold

Kubold

Hey, I got it. To get rid of the warning, add "RawInputAngle" float to the mecanim controller (see attached jpg).

You could also not do it, and instead, go through all the States in MovementFSM and delete any SetAnimatorFloat Actions that say "RawInputAngle".

This was left there for building an 'uber-controller' in the future, just like the other variables (Block, Hit, EquipRifle etc.).

Attached Files:

12. 2dchaos

2dchaos

Thank you Kubold, worked like a charm.

13. Orion_C

Orion_C

Hello,

I recently bought your Movment Animset Pro and this is certainly the clean, professional mocap I have been looking for!

I do have a few questions:

- What part of your controller should I focus on in order to lock the camera view to the players back (by placing a null target object in the torso for the camera to look at and hinge from) without breaking all of your other functionality like anti-clip, duck/jump tracking etc. Would it be easier to start from scratch?

- Are you planning on adding any sort of evasive animations? A multi-directional dive roll would be plenty for me. Evasion is the only thing that strikes me as lacking from a truly comprehensive base movement set.

Well done so far!

14. Kubold

Kubold

Hi, thanks!

I guess you would need to just make a different controller (the one from Rifle Animset Pro sounds like what you want). If you fix the camera to the back, you propably want strafes, walking backwards etc., like in Deadspace or Resident Evil 4. The controller from Movement is more like Uncharted or Assassin's Creed (I prefer it, because people don't strafe in real life - they physically can, but they never do :)).

As for evasive anims - maybe, if there will be occasion to make a mocap session.

15. Orion_C

Orion_C

Locked 3rd just better suits the combat design I have in mind (something more tactical, not based around the "counter attack dance" we see all so often). Hrm.. now you have me tempted with your Rifle set even though ranged combat is not a priority for me; well done. :p

Edit: And now that I'm working with the package; "getup" animations for face down/up are essential (more so than evasion) for getting out of ragdoll.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  16. Kubold

Kubold

Oh, you are looking for combat controller. Then yes, I agree, in combat (and sports) people do strafe :)

Anyway, hold on with purchasing anything. I'm soon releasing sword animset with controller, fixed to back camera, AI and stuff. Even if you don't use swords, you could certainly use the controller and AI, and just swap the animations. I should finish this in a week or two.

Check it out the first preview:

17. Licarell

Licarell

do you have a brawler setup like that?

18. Kubold

Kubold

Not a brawler. It will be a sword fighting controller, but it doesn't matter. If you change the sword animations to fist fight animations - you have a brawler. Functionality is exactly the same in sword fight and fist fight controllers. 1 guy hits the other guy, health is lowered, until he dies. He can parry (block) or dodge. Fall and get up etc.

19. Licarell

Licarell

@Kubold Ah... well I was more interested in the animations... your animation Kung Fu is much better than mine...

20. Kubold

Kubold

I guess there will be time for some muay thai animation set later on.

21. goldencruz

goldencruz

dam this look nice I can't wait for it

22. THoeppner

THoeppner

Wow, I'm thinking this are the best sword animations I saw. Really awesome.

23. goldencruz

goldencruz

what is the eta on this by the chance

24. Kubold

Kubold

They're pretty much ready, I'm just building a game template for it, testing if the animations feel good. Can't decide if I should go for realism (like in Kingdom Come, slow, careful combat) or slasher style simple fun (like God of War).

25. ZJP

ZJP

Hi,

Your Mecanim Controllers seem very cool. I dont have Playmaker and i can use them 'as is', so, can you tell us more informations about the Controllers (variables, Blend etc...)?

BTW this is very nice... :cool:

26. Kubold

Kubold

Thanks!
    More info how? I added couple of mecanim graphs screenshots to every package description on Asset Store. You can see they are reasonably clean (no spaghetti). And they are almost all built like my graph you linked.

27. ZJP

ZJP

Thank you. I would do with. :p
    I try to get the same result as you without Playmaker... Not very easy... :(

28. Kubold

Kubold

Web Player - Sword & Shield included game template

This is still work in progress.

LMB, MMB - combos
    RMB - sield if you hold, counter if you press right before enemy attack
    WSAD - you know
    Shift - run
    X360 gamepad supported

29. Orion_C

Orion_C

My vote would be for more realism, something gritty but responsive. Not necessarily as realistic as Kingdom Come, but not as mashy as God of War. Something along the lines of a Dark Souls perhaps.

30. Kubold

Kubold

Hi,
    I should make this million years ago, but it's my first free day from ages, when I actually have nothing to do (so I'm working...):

How do you change the height of the camera in Movement Animset Pro (and all my other crontrollers):

How do you change the DISTANCE of the camera in Movement Animset Pro (and all my other crontrollers):

This one is not really difficult, but unnecessarily complicated. In future updates I will just make 1 variable for changing all that Actions' values (maybe adjustable in runtime by scrollwheel?).

31. eridani

eridani

Kubold, your animations never cease to amaze me. Where in the world do you find these talented mocap actors? Or are you the mocap actor? I do have some questions about your upcoming sword kit.

1. Is it possible to change the counter-attack from a kick to a sword slash or some other attack (shield bash, etc).

2. Will you ever add more Asian style swordplay with no shields -- think ninjas or samurais (right now it looks very medieval only).

3. Can the character sheath his sword and sort of relax (you know, to walk around town and buy stuff from merchants). - (maybe can combine with Movement Animset somehow)

4. How feasible do you think it would be to add some kind of ranged attack (bow, crossbow)... would the controller have to be very heavily modified? (maybe can combine with a modified Rifle Animset somehow)

5. Do the enemies use a navmesh or some other pathfinding?

Thanks! And keep up the great work!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  32. eridani

eridani

Actually, since I own a couple of your animsets already... I was thinking, as a reward for your customers who buy all your animsets, how about providing a "super-controller" that...

...allows a seamless transition from movement to punching/kicking, to pistols, to rifles, and to swords, all on one character (including sheathing and drawing weapons). Sort of similar to the ZADE action framework (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11049) except your animations look better by an order of magnitude.

It would be a truly universal third person controller that can handle any fighting style and any game from modern shooters to dungeon crawlers to street brawlers.

Just throwing the idea out there. Anyways thanks again!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  33. Kubold

Kubold

Thanks! Yeah, that's me acting, but it's heavly modified after, those are not raw mocaps. So you know, if my moves are clumsy or slow, I just correct it. Also many of those anims are made by rotoscoping form video clips.

1. Yes, just drag and drop a different animation to Mecanim slot and done. Same goes for attack animations (you can very easly build your own combos). I'll probably make a tutorial about it, because I think people will do this a lot.
    2. That's a tought one. I don't know many wushu fighters, I would need to make a casting and that would skyrocket the production costs to the point that it's no longer profitable for me. I chose medieval, because I'm making a medieval indie game.
    3. Exactly. Last frame of SwordHolster animation is Idle from Movement Animset Pro.
    4. If you have animations for ranged weapons... actually you know? You could just use Rifle Animset Pro and change the model of the rifle to a crossbow and lower the shooting rate :D You would need a crossbow reload animation though, but the controller is perfect for that, with no serious modifications at all. Just shooting rate and ammo clip count.
    5. They use Unity's built in Navigation.

Cheers!

34. Kubold

Kubold

I'm constantly working on "the uber controller" for my game, Aliens, Trolls & Dragons. When the game is finished, I don't see any reason against selling it. However... Unity won't allow selling it without animations. So the "uber controller" would have to include all the animations you already bought, making you pay for it twice. Unity doesn't support any kind of discounts. I really don't know how to solve this problem.

35. Licarell

Licarell

Scroll wheel for camera zoom!!! YES!

36. Kubold

Kubold

Ha, easier than I thought. Made it in 20 minutes :)
    Web Player - check it out.

37. eridani

eridani

Great news, I'll be anticipating the "Uber Controller of Doom"... Couldn't you just email the package to people who send you the invoice codes for the relevant animsets? I notice a number of asset makers even have an automated website that lets you download the latest/special packages if you enter your invoice code (A* Pathfinding Project is an example).

Or perhaps if you are close to completing it, maybe I'll hold off on buying any more individual animsets for now as I assume you would bundle them at a slightly cheaper price than buying all the animsets individually?

In any case, I MUST have the Uber Controller, it is my precious.

P.S. Man you are a talented movement actor. Do you have a military background?

38. eridani

eridani

All good, I think the sword animations can be used as is for a less delicate, more in-your-face type ninja or samurai.

Crossbow reload would be nice, but if you ever add relevant animations for a bow and arrow setup (grabbing an arrow, nocking it, drawing the bow and releasing), I would jump for joy. I don't think I've seen a third person controller do that one properly, and I know your animations for it would be the best on the market. My inner Legolas is crying out for such an animation :D

39. eridani

eridani

Lastly it would be nice if the sword controller / brawler controller setups could have a pure strafe/walkbackward mode... so the character is ALWAYS facing the direction of the camera (walking backward if you press back, not turning and walking forward toward the camera).

Even in the demo I was trying to maneuver around my opponent and sometimes I would end up swinging the sword directly at the camera while the enemy stabbed me in the back. I think there should be a mode where the character will always swing or punch in the direction the camera is pointed, allowing more boxing-like footwork.

For pure third-person combat setup (where you can hardly see anything behind the character) I think it's better to have the strafe/walkbackward set up instead of turn-and-run toward whichever input direction is pressed.

For top-downish third-person combat setup I think the turn-and-run works well because there is a lot of space behind the character and he might have to be attacking backward toward the camera a lot.

40. Kubold

Kubold

In Sword & Shield Pro:
    1. Character always walks where you tell him to and always faces the camera direction. He strafes normally and walks backwards normally when not attacking.
    2. When attacking, he faces the input vector direction. I like it, but if you don't, you can just turn it off with 1 checkbox, and character will be always facing the camera whatever happens - I'm selling the controller, so YOU can modify it. Both options are in there :)
    3. There is an auto aim built in there - you can adjust it's power and range, so you ALWAYS attack the enemy. Or turn it off, or whatever - remember, you can modify it as you wish.

I'll be making a few tutorials and overwievs of how to modify this controller.

Now, look what I have created! 1.4 update for Movement Animset Pro!

eridani likes this.
  41. eridani

eridani

I was just thinking that music is annoying but now I like it too :D

Couple more things I noticed in the demo... if you walk up to the first guy while holding your shield up, he can't see you.

And when you slash a guy while he's on the ground, he instantly gets back up before falling down. Looks jarring.

Anyway, I know it's just a demo but just pointing out little things I see. Can't wait for the asset release.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  42. Kubold

Kubold

Hehe, thanks for finding the shield thing, funny bug... Same thing as buckets on the vendors' heads in Skyrim. When you are in the cone of vision, the Enemy shoots a raycast, to check if he sees you (because there might be a wall). When you put the shield up, the raycast hits the shield, so he actually doesn't see you :D. I'll fix it in the first update.

The "getting up death" also. Just need to play the death animation from the middle, not from the start. You know, good combat system is sometimes a matter of two years of work. I'm sure there are plenty of "when I press every button simultaneously, when falling and getting hit by the enemy at the same time, and this enemy is directly under me" bugs ;)

43. Kubold

Kubold

Web Player - Movement Animset Pro update 1.4 - coming soon

44. eridani

eridani

You found that bug too! I didn't wanna mention it though because for me it only happens when I'm eating a sandwich and there's a full moon out. But now that you know, fix it.

45. micuccio

micuccio

Hi Kubold!
    Superb asset! I will buy today. Just few questions If I may :
    1)If I buy the 1.3 version, the upcoming 1.4 it will be free?
    2)Is it possible/easy to add animations to your Controller? for example to add another falling animation? If yes, do you plan to make a Tutorial to explain how to mod your controller?

Thanks in advance

46. Kubold

Kubold

Thanks!
    1. yes, and all the future updates
    2. Swapping animations to other animations is super easy, just replace the animation in the Mecanim graph State (drag and drop). And if you analyze the controller, you'll see that adding new functionalities is also not that complicated. PlayMaker is the easiest and most flexible form of making gameplay in the world (in my opinion) :)

47. Kubold

Kubold

Btw. what would you like the character to do? I'm planning to add pushing buttons and picking stuff up (like: pick up a rock, carry it and drop it on one of two tiles, you stand on the other one and the door opens).

Later on, in v. 1.5 or something, I'll add NPCs. I'm not sure what should they be doing though, besides walking around randomly.

48. eridani

eridani

It would be cool if the character actually bent down to pick stuff up, like the aforementioned rocks, or maybe weapons etc.

I think NPCs should normally walk around minding their own business, maybe stopping every once in a while, but then scream and scurry off for their lives if they hear a gunshot or see you holding a weapon. That could be the basis for any number of civilian crowd scenarios (stealth game, thief game, assassin game, sniper game, GTA clone, etc)

49. Kubold

Kubold

Yeah, but keep the possible actions within the limit of the animation set. That means no weapons, there are no weapon animations in Movement Animset Pro. There are plenty of animations of character picking up stuff like you said, throwing them down, opening doors, typing in keycodes, pulling levers etc.

eridani likes this.
  50. Orion_C

Orion_C

They could always simply assault you with those melee anims.

Have you given any thought to adding "getup" anims (belly down/up)? I'll try using the unity ones but I'm not sure how well they will blend with your idle... might suffice though.