Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Moved from NVIDIA to AMD and lightbaking no longer works

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by DavyApple, Apr 11, 2023.

1. DavyApple

DavyApple

Hello,

I bought the AMD 7900XTX to replace my NVIDIA 2080ti and now lightbaking doesnt seem to finish at all.

I created a map with an asset pack, and the NVIDIA card could finish baking in around 10-15 minutes. But my AMD card seems to be in a baking loop and unity editor becomes very unresponsive, I tried to let it run for 4 hours with no luck.

I reinstalled windows completely as well, and just loaded the demo scene of my asset pack (containing a few prefabs, see below). And even that doesn't seem to be able to finish

Unity 2021.3.22f1
    Windows 11

Update: I'm suspicious that it is a Windows 11 problem since bake lighting worked on my linux
    Update 2: It also did not work on a fresh Windows 10 install

2023-04-11_13-46-58.png

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
  2. DevDunk

DevDunk

Can you send a screenshot of the light bake settings?

3. DavyApple

DavyApple

Yea sure. Here it is.

Attached Files:

4. noobhawkia

noobhawkia

Facing the same problem with my AMD 7900XT on unity 2021.3.23f1. It gets stuck on preparing bake and the estimated time just keeps increasing, after about 6 hrs the timer was at 34hours. Used the same settings as @DavyApple.
    Using the CPU lightmapper (AMD Ryzen 9 7950x) doesnt help either, unity acts the same way.

The same scene on my laptop with an Nvidia GTX 1650 generates the lighting in about 5 seconds since it's not a lighting heavy scene. With CPU (i5-9300HF) it takes about 45-60sec.

I couldnt find any other forum posts about this, so I'm guessing this is a bug that needs to be reported.