Search Unity

Question Move position with animation

Discussion in 'Animation' started by MathewHI, Feb 8, 2023.

1. MathewHI

MathewHI

How do I move a characters position with an animation? I have a running animation and Animator is set with root motion but the character is running in place. Thanks

2. rysan007

rysan007

Does the running animation itself have movement? Root motion uses the actual movement in the animation. If the animation is running in place, then the animation will do the same.

For instance, if you get the animation from Mixamo, you have the option to include the root motion or not.

3. MathewHI

MathewHI

I don’t know it came with a package I got from the asset store. Is there a way to find out? I would assume it should it was an FPS template package the animation itself looks decent.

4. MathewHI

MathewHI

I just looked at the animation in that window at the bottom of the animation tab, the one where it plays the animation on that grid floor. The grid floor isn't moving like it is in some other animations so I'm guessing movement isn't built into that one. That doesn't make any sense why a running animation wouldn't have movement in it.

5. halley

halley

A lot of game developers prefer not to use root motion, and instead do the motion themselves by formulas. More control, especially if you're trying to go to a very specific position. But it does incur the risk of "skating," or moving at a rate different from what the feet look like they should be achieving. Historically speaking, trusting root motion to do its job is relatively new. Unity finally has sufficient tools to support it and control it sufficiently that even some experienced developers are now expecting it as the default, but not everyone.