Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Mouse wheel and mouse pad the same thing??

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by monark, Aug 23, 2008.

1. monark

monark

When I use this function

Input.GetAxis("Mouse ScrollWheel")

on a mac book dragging two fingers on the mouse pad triggers it in the same way the actual mouse wheel does. Whilst this is very cool it returns completely different values so my camera move which is attached to it goes at a totally different speed. Is there anyway to detect the difference between a mouse pad virtual mouse wheel event and an actual mouse wheel?

On a related note is there any way to detect the 2 fingered zoom that you can also do on a mac book mouse pad?

Maybe support for "gestures" is a feature requested? It would be very cool to be able to control my app just with a couple of fingers on the mouse pad. 8)

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Only the Peryin MBP and MBA have multi touch pads, not the MacBooks

As for the speed of scroll: Put a slider in the options to adjust it. that way the can alter it if needed. Apple just sets the slider on the touch pad to an insanely high value ...

3. StarManta

StarManta

And yet, all other OSX apps seem to be aware of this and adjust scrolling speed automatically. Why can't Unity?

And while we're at it, why can't we get the horizontal axis of scroll wheels/balls or trackpad scrolling?

4. monark

monark

Well I meant mac book pro, does it really matter... the point is you can do it.

It's all very well asking the user to do it, but that is a very clumsy solution. The only real answer at the moment if this can't be done is to disable the mouse wheel function on the mac, which would be a shame as its very useful in my app.

If there was at least a way to tell if an external mouse was in use I could switch the speed to match automatically.