Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mouse Hover Issue on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux' started by stuarttempleton, Oct 27, 2018.

1. stuarttempleton

stuarttempleton

I'm seeing a weird issue where mouse hover is being used/leaked to other view ports when I'm using the editor. This is causing tool-tips from other view ports (hierarchy, file browser, ProBuilder, etc...) to pop up while I'm working in the scene editor. The screenshot shows how this works while using ProBuilder, but this happens with all of the view ports. Is anyone else seeing this? Is this a configuration issue on my end somehow or is this a bug that I should report?

In this picture, I'm extruding a face in the scene editor view port, but the hover is being triggered in the ProBuilder window. The hot zone for that tool tip is not under my cursor, but I think it *would* be, with relative X,Y if they were over-layed.

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04, 2018.3.0b6.

Screenshot from 2018-10-27 14-10-58.png

2. kodenkm

kodenkm

I have also seen this same issue happening on the Unity 2018.2.x editor versions. I am also using Ubuntu 18.04. It is mainly ProBuilder that i notice doing it. I usually end up docking the panel and then switching to another tab to prevent the tool tip popups from attacking me while editing. The switching back and forth for different tool options gets old quick though.

3. stuarttempleton

stuarttempleton

If this is a problem for anyone else, you can turn off ProBuilder tool tips in preferences. You can always force the tool tip to show up by holding down shift, so you still have them if you need them.

Not a solution, so much as a very simple work around, but I'll take it!

4. huulong

huulong

I thought about the same workaround, unfortunately the tooltips will still appear when holding Shift for whatever reason, like typing an uppercase letter, instantly cancelling the rename action.

5. huulong

huulong

I found another workaround, if you are not using the ProBuilder window itself but only open it to enter Geometry Edit Mode: drag the ProBuilder window to a pane with another window, to make it a tab in a multi-window pane. Then click on another tab to send the ProBuilder tab to the background.

You can still Edit Geometries, but the tooltips won't appear anymore, even if you hold Shift!

Obviously it only works if you're not actively using the ProBuilder window.