Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 beta is now available.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're excited to be bringing you the newest Unity features, news, demos, and we've even got some special guests from some of the industry’s most storied franchises. Set a reminder to tune in on YouTube here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Mouse event handling of Handles is off

Discussion in 'Extensions & OnGUI' started by pdinklag, Dec 26, 2018.

1. pdinklag

pdinklag

For editing custom assets, I am rendering a little preview scene using a PreviewRenderUtility in an EditorWindow and I'd like it support handles for convenient position editing.

This is a rough outline of my code (which is ultimately called during the window's OnGUI):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // begin preview
    2. _previewRenderUtility.BeginPreview(rect, GUIStyle.none);
    4. /* ... render the scene ... */
    6. // do handles
    7. Handles.SetCamera(_previewRenderUtility.camera);
    8. editPos = Handles.PositionHandle(editPos, Quaternion.identity);
    10. // finalize preview
    11. _previewRenderUtility.EndAndDrawPreview(rect);
    rect is the rectangle of the GUI the preview is using.

The position handle is rendered at the correct position and looks fine. However, it's processing mouse input in a wrong way: the detected mouse position is off. In order to select the handle, I have to move the mouse somewhere above and left of it.

So there seems to be some discrepancy between Handles' screen-to-world position conversion and the preview's world-to-screen rendering, with the latter being correct. I feel like I need to tell Handles what part of the screen I'm using, but the variant of Handles.SetCamera that takes a rectangle is not documented and I couldn't get it to work properly.

Does anybody know what I need to do here?

2. Madgvox

Madgvox

Quick and dirty solution: modify mousePosition in Event.current to account for the discrepancy.

3. pdinklag

pdinklag

I tried that, but that's not as quick as it seems because perspective is involved, and I believe getting this right is harder than a clean solution...