Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mount Points

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Tryz

Tryz

A skinned mesh is 3 things:
    1. The mesh (Torso_Armour)
    2. The skeleton (mixamorig:Hips)
    3. The weights that tie the mesh vertices to the bones in the skeleton

So, if you're trying to build a "torso armor only" skinned mesh, you need the Torso_Armour, the skeleton which the torso armor attaches to, and the weights (which are part of the skeleton).

If you look in the Mount Point's Demo folder, you'll find my Shirt_01 as an example:

I built this in Maya based on the Mixamo rig.

This becomes its own .fbx file that you can use with other Mixamo skeletons.

I think that answers your question. :)

Duffer123 likes this.
  2. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz ,

Thanks,

I think it does - I think I am right in saying I can lift the equivalent of the above from my Female Knight in my example...?

3. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz ,

In your example above I can see 1 and 2 but where is 3 in your screenie?

4. Tryz

Tryz

I don't have the Female Knight, but if the mesh is already tied to the skeleton that you want to use with your characters... yes.

Adding vertex weights is something you do in a tool like Maya or Blender. You literally paint the weights onto the mesh. This is what ties the vertices to the bones. So, when a bone animates... the mesh does to.

Maya LT Paint Skin Weights Tool:
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...LT/files/CST-Paint-Skin-Weights-Tool-htm.html

You'll find tons of videos online.

Duffer123 likes this.
  5. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz, but if I've imported a rigged armoured character from Fuse through Mixamo and FBX, the armour and the individual elements of armour or clothing will come over pre-rigged and pre-weighted? (so long as I carry in to that armour piece the original mixamorig:hips and mesh (as taken from the original fully armoured version of the character but less then the meshes for the other pieces of armour on the character and indeed the body of the character)?

[edit] sorry to belabour it, but I am almost there... ;)

6. Tryz

Tryz

Yes. I'm just not sure about extracting the pieces. You're asking something specific about Fuse and Mixamo. So, it's just something you'll have to try.

7. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz,

I meant extracting say Torso Armor in Unity Editor by going in to GameObject in hierarchy, literally deleting all within it save for Mixamo rig:hip (with children) and torso_armour mesh, then renaming GameObject as 'Torso Armour' or whatever and dragging that out as a new prefab skinned mesh...

Will that work?

So here is a Crusader mesh/prefab and I've exposed its hierarchy:-

and here is what I'd intend to do say to create a skinned mesh helm (same mixamorig:hip - just delete other stuff in hierarchy and rename covering gameobject) - and I've exposed the hierarchy of the skinned mesh helm too - will a prefab of 'Crusader Helm' be ok to use on a body prefab based on same mixamorig:hip architecture?

and see below (hope you can see where I am trying to go with this?):-

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  8. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz ,

Just to say, I installed Mount Points (took me a while to realise you entered text to describe location of relevant prefabs in resources subfolder!) and ran it and it works like a peach. Brilliant!

Mount Points has single-handedly made my RPG character customisation and absolute gem!!!

Going to get rid of that ear through helm now - and sort the rest of the armour. Thanks for creating such a fantastic asset!

I should say I am using the amazing Game Creator as the cornerstone of my game and Arteria3D fuse cloths for my models.

hopeful and Tryz like this.
  9. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz ,

Slight fly in the ointment - I can't get my occlusion mask (which I have) working. It is certainly blacking out (black and white .png) the parts which the Cloth (Helm in this case) should cover over on the original body. However, the original body ears are just poking through still even with the Occlusion Mask png active...

Does the Occlusion Mask have to be named specifically? Does it have to be any particular size? Bit depth?

Am I meant to use Body Mask and/or Body Skin Renderer? If yes, what is the material index?

It may have something to do with my Body Skin Renderer and leaving it blank? What do I actually drop in there?

Your further guidance appreciated... thanks.

10. Tryz

Tryz

No. None of that matters. I use the "red" component of the mask's color. Since the mask is black and white, there's not special bit depth setting.

Check out the character in my demo. Below is a picture of his Skinned Mesh Renderer. You can see how it's used in the Mount Points component of the scene. The tool-tips in the Mount Points component and documentation should help:

"Body Skin Renderer" = Skinned Mesh Renderer containing the bones and materials that we'll use. This is the Skinned Mesh Renderer of your body.

"Material Index" = Index of the material that is the skin texture to modify. This is the index of the material that holds the texture that is the character's skin. Fuse characters only have one material for the whole body... so, we use the 0 index.

"Use Body Masks" = Determines if we use the mask textures to hide parts of the body (like the ear). This just says if we'll use the mask textures or not to hide the body parts.

In the documentation (page 17), I mention that the material used by the body needs to be set to transparent or cutout. http://www.ootii.com/Unity/MountPoints/MPUserGuide.pdf

In the picture (in the docs), I show that I usually set the Fuse character's "Rendering Mode" to "Cutout". Can you confirm that you did that?

Duffer123 likes this.
  11. Tryz

Tryz

Just a quick note...

I did that because in a game with 1,000's of pieces of clothing, armor, etc. I figured people would probably manage them with lists of text or database entries vs. drag-and-dropping each prefab into editor fields.

I think that's worked out pretty well, but if you've only got a couple of pieces of clothing, I could seek where using Unity's standard prefab drag-and-drop approach would be more normal.

Duffer123 likes this.
  12. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz,

The skinned mesh clothings (like helm) are set to Opaque in Shader render. The Body skinned mesh set to Cutout (Transparent leaves semi-transparent holes in the body).

Have checked and all in place correctly. This is in editor mode but appears the same in runtime (I am hoping you can see where I am going wrong with a careful examination of images below...):-

And the Helm:-

([edit] Rendering Layer Mask matching or not matching makes no difference...)

13. Tryz

Tryz

That's good.

The masks won't work at edit-time, only run-time.

In situations like this, I always suggest trying out my demo. In this case, the MP_Demo scene has a character we can look at. First, run it and make sure the masks work... they do for me.

Now, look at the differences between your character and mine. For example, your "PackedMaterial0mat" looks a bit odd. There's a lot of black already:

That doesn't look right for a body texture. Usually the whole image is used. Are you sure you're pointing to the right material?

You don't have the "Materials" list open. So, I can't see what yours is really set to.

You also have the Alpha Cutoff set to 1. That could be an issue if your mask texture isn't really white and black, but almost-white or almost-black.

It's hard to tell on such a small image, but that looks gray compared to the trousers above it.

14. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz,

Thanks all really helpful - I've noticed my textures within the material are 2048 x 2048...? I put in a diffuse one for Albedo at 256 x 256 but same outcome.

Two mask images above are pure black and white. Mucking around with the Alpha cut not helping either.

Yes, material is 0 in index.

Something I've noticed is you make your clothing skinned meshes 'Fade' I'll try that. Nope that didn't work either.

Still struggling to see what I am doing wrong. Trousers work as skinned mesh with MPs but don't need a mask anyway. I'll try another piece of 'clothing' and see if that makes a difference.

Same problem with gloves - they definitely skinned to the skeleton etc correctly but occlusion masking just not working... see below.

15. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz , the material for the gloves is the same one for the wholly clothed male crusader....sort of. is that causing this problem maybe? I think I may be getting somewhere with this...

So this is the diffuse/albedo texture for just the gloves:-

and this is their occlusion mask:-

and this is the diffuse/albedo testure for the base body:-

and this is how that is played over the Body (and how the occlusion map works):-

and this is the diffuse (or one of two) for the entire clothed Crusader:-

16. Tryz

Tryz

For the body masks, the only thing that matters is the texture that's used for the body and the mask you create for the clothing/armor.

It's a bit odd that the whole body and all the clothing/armor are on the same texture, but if that's how it is... it still should work. You just have to make sure the the Glove Mask is based on the body texture. So, your body texture looks like this:

Your glove mask would look like this:

The only other thing I can think of is that something else is caching the body texture and resetting it after my changes.

Every time you equip and item with a body mask, I take the current body material, grab the body texture, and change the alpha based on the mask.

If you're sure of the following:
    1. You're pointing to the right Skinned Mesh Renderer for the body
    2. You're using the right index of the Skinned Mesh Renderer material for the body
    3. The body material supports transparency
    4. The body material texture is what you think
    5. The glove mask is based on the body material and black/white
    6. Nothing else is modifying the body texture

It will work.

I'd try a test... even without MPs. Take the body texture you're using and make a section of it transparent. Use that on your character and see if the body goes transparent. If it does, then you know your material is fine.

Once you confirm that, you will see that when you run MP changes your Skinned Mesh Render to something like this:

Make sure you see Unity's dynamic texture icon and the transparent area in the preview window.

Duffer123 likes this.
  17. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz ,

Once again - very helpful. I think I know how I cacked up the textures on export from Fuse. So, I am taking another run at it, equipped as I am with this further information. I'll report back later today or tomorrow.... thanks again for all the support!

Tryz likes this.
  18. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz ,

As I suspected, it was the way I was going about exporting textures in Fuse.

Packing textures in Fuse and going for silly resolutions on textures was wholly unnecessary and in fact made it fail. I have fixed it and it's a beauty!

Thanks so much once again...

19. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz ,

Quick couple of questions on static mesh mount points - what do you attach them to? Is it the relevant part of the body skinned mesh (in examples above) or the relevant sub-part in the rig hierarchy (in the mixamorig:hip hierarchy in the examples above)?

20. Tryz

Tryz

The bones in the skeleton (ie the mixamorig:hip).

However, I apply offsets through the mount points you set up...

So, you can create a mount point called "Right Hand Slot" that is bound to the mixamorig:righhand bone, but is moved to be centered in the palm of the visible hand. As your character animates, the mixamorig:righthand bone moves, the "Right Hand Slot" moves, and what ever was snapped to the slot (mount point) moves.

Duffer123 likes this.
  21. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz ,

Excellent thanks - that makes sense...

Tryz likes this.
  22. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Is this working in 2017.3?

23. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

I've used it in 2017.3 -- the object mounting anyway. I can't speak for the masking aspects.

24. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Thanks a'lot!! hopefully masking works also...

Duffer123 likes this.
  25. Tryz

Tryz

Sorry guys, I was on vacation.

I'm using Unity 2017.4 and I'm not having any issues. You should be fine.

Aaron2348 likes this.
  26. silentneedle

silentneedle

Is it possible to add skinned items at runtime (e.g. Prefabs from asset bundles)?

27. Tryz

Tryz

Absolutely. Check out the demo scene I include. In it, you'll see that I call functions like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. mMountPoints.AddSkinnedItem("Prefabs/Armor/Pants/Pants_02", "Prefabs/Armor/Pants/Pants_02_mask");
    I give some more examples in the User's Guide (page 13):
    http://www.ootii.com/Unity/MountPoints/MPUserGuide.pdf

28. silentneedle

silentneedle

Haven't bought the asset yet, but your excerpt looks like it only works with prefabs from the resource folder, or is there an overload for instantiated gameobjects?

29. Tryz

Tryz

For static meshes, they can work with existing GOs.

For the skinned meshes, I expect resource paths. The reason is that during instantiation I have to modify the skinned mesh bones to attach to the character. I also expect people to have 100s if not 1,000s of different pieces of clothing. I don't want them to have to live in the scene when they aren't being worn.

30. silentneedle

silentneedle

Isn't it slower to call Instantiate/Resource.Load instead keeping them deactivated in the scene? I usually keep those equipment parts deactivated in a game object pool.

Maybe you could create a factory class which does all the modifying stuff, accepting a GO as a parameter, that should be enough to support asset bundles for the most setups.

31. Tryz

Tryz

Not really. Once the first one is instantiated, the resource is loaded and it's just like being in the scene.

Your solution works if you have a dozen or so items that come and go. Now imagine you have 2,000.

I'll look at adding a version of the function that takes a GO, but it won't be something I'll get to anytime soon. People seem pretty happy with the approach I'm taking so far.

[EDIT]
    If you're not dealing with 1,000s of items, you can do as you suggest and put an invisible instance of each resource into the scene. Then, the call time to instantiate from the resource is exactly the same as if you were not using resources.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    mandisaw and XCO like this.
  32. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

Hi, it looks like this asset is exactly what I'm looking for. Depending on which weapon a character has will determine which magazine pouch they will have. Also higher ranking characters will get binoculars, etc..

Do you think that this asset will work for me?

Can a mount point be added to a vehicle so characters can ride on the back and such?

33. Tryz

Tryz

That would totally work. You would call some simple functions that reference the pouches and binoculars (as resources). Then, they would attach to mount points on the character.

Sort of...

When you think of a character sitting in a car seat, you think about their butt attaching to the seat. However, you really can't do that because the hip bone is usually already attached to the character's root transform. While you can make the character a child of the vehicle using the root transform (feet), you have to ignore the seat and position the root based on the character's animation.

Since there's typically more involved with having a character get into a vehicle, sit down, and then become attached to the vehicle, I wouldn't say that Mount Points does all this.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  34. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

Thanks for the reply, I'm definitely buying this soon. I'll have to figure out the vehicle thing some other way.

Tryz likes this.
  35. Tryz

Tryz

Before updating, PLEASE READ THIS!

This update REQUIRES that you delete your 'Assets\ootii' folder and re-import the assets.

Today I'm pushing up a massive update to all my assets. The primary goal is to support Unity's Assembly Definition Files, but there's some other cools stuff as well:

1. Assembly Definition File support
    2. New character wizard (for the Motion Controller)
    3. Restructure folders so demo files are in one place (easy to remove)
    4. Smaller download size

Please back-up your project and wait for all my assets (that you own) to be updated by Unity. :)

As always, I'm here to help.

hopeful and Willbkool_FPCS like this.
  36. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz , a thought just occurred - have you ever thought of building a [sumptuous] agnostic Inventory & Crafting Asset (with item types, subtypes, affixes -prefixes/affixes/suffixes, socket items, equippable items, container items etc - hence 'sumptuous') Asset that knits and leverages Mount Points? Just thinking that such an Asset would sell like hot cakes... ;)

Just sayin'....

Tryz likes this.
  37. Tryz

Tryz

Right now I give away a "Basic Inventory" solution in the my Motion Controller asset. A couple of us are talking about a much more robust inventory solution, but no promises. ;)

Duffer123 likes this.
  38. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz ,

Here's hoping ! ;)

Tryz likes this.
  39. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz ,

I see that you have now done an Integration between Inventory Pro and your Third Person Controller. Any chance of a similar integration between Inventory Pro and this asset Mount Points?

40. Tryz

Tryz

The MC and IP integration has been around for a while. I've just been updating the docs and videos.

If you're not using the MC, you would do something similar to my InventoryProHandler class. This is described by Inventory Pro and you're just reacting to their Equip() and UnEquip() functions. In those functions you'd grab MountPoints and do the connect function I describe in the documentation.

I don't know Inventory Pro enough to know how they instantiate the items, but I think I'm right with the above.

I'll add MP integration to my to-do list, but it's a long list. :(

Duffer123 likes this.
  41. hassonhamo3

hassonhamo3

Hi ! i'm using inventory pro + invector TPC + a model from adobe Fuse , will this work for me :)? and how can I create clothes ? can I make them in unity or by using third party program such like Blender ?
    mind my ignorance I didn't read the documentation yet

42. OlliIllustrator

OlliIllustrator

Hi,
    I am using Mountpoins extensively in my Project and love it.
    Now I stumble over a very specific task: I have several hairstyles that attach to my character and also several hats.
    I attach them all with Mount component to the head bone Mountpoints on the charcter. All items are pulled from a database. Works great.
    For some hairstyles with more volume I now want to add an offset Vector 3 variable to my hair database, so that I can have the hats at a higher position (or shifted) for these hairs.

I thought I could easily alter the hats Mount component position values for that, but I cannot find a way to access it-- it seems the Position Vector (and rotation) is just available in editor, not in code? I must be missing something... currently looking at Mount.cs but cannot understand at first glance how this is constructed.

How would you offset the mountpoint tempoarily in game via script?

xGameobject.GetComponent<Mount>().Point seems not to have any position or rotation variables ---

43. OlliIllustrator

OlliIllustrator

I can jump in to answer that:
    If adobe fuse does not provide the clothes you want you need to create (or modify) them in a modelling app and skin the cloth mesh points to a duplicate of the joints that they need to move. You do not need the whole character skeleton, just the joints (bones) that are weighted (plus the root), the rest is handled by MountPoints.

I am using Cinema4d for this and the C4d VAMP weights mapper makes it very easy to map over the weights and joints from the base character to any cloth. I assume something similar is also available for blender but I don`t know for sure. I Know Maya has a similar feature (and the sadly deprecated SoftImage had since they invented this funky assistant).
    Otherwise you need to skin the item manually. There exists also a Unity asset that does skinning if you want to do it in Unity--- not sure what the name was.

There is a good .PDF from ootii how to set up custom clothes (MPcustomContent.pdf). I think it is on the website somewhere.

Tryz likes this.
  44. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @OlliIllustrator ,

Thanks for helping @hassonhamo3 :)

To temporarily change the mount point, you want to change the "anchor". that's the child object that is tied to the character's mount point. Here's some example code for my demo:

I create a helmet and then have a button that grabs the anchor. Then, I change the local position; moving the helmet up. This code moves the head's anchor. That means if you destroy the helmet, the height change stays with the head.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using com.ootii.Actors;
    4. public class OlliMoveCode : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     protected void OnGUI()
    7.     {
    8.         if (GUI.Button(new Rect(400f, 10f, 100f, 20f), "Move Helmet"))
    9.         {
    10.             MountPoints lMPs = gameObject.GetComponent<MountPoints>();
    11.             MountPoint lMP = lMPs.GetMountPoint("Head");
    12.             if (lMP.Anchor != null)
    13.             {
    14.                 Vector3 lPosition = lMP.Anchor.transform.localPosition;
    16.                 lPosition.y += 0.05f;
    18.                 lMP.Anchor.transform.localPosition = lPosition;
    19.             }
    20.         }
    21.     }
    22. }
    This code is a little different. It changes the height of the helmet instance. So, if you destroy the helmet and re-create it, it will start at the original position.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using com.ootii.Actors;
    4. public class OlliMoveCode : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     protected void OnGUI()
    7.     {
    8.         if (GUI.Button(new Rect(400f, 10f, 100f, 20f), "Move Helmet"))
    9.         {
    10.             MountPoints lMPs = gameObject.GetComponent<MountPoints>();
    11.             MountPoint lMP = lMPs.GetMountPoint("Head");
    12.             if (lMP.ChildMountPoints.Count > 0)
    13.             {
    14.                 MountPointPtr lChildMP = lMP.ChildMountPoints[0];
    15.                 Vector3 lPosition = lChildMP.Owner.transform.localPosition;
    17.                 lPosition.y += 0.05f;
    19.                 lChildMP.Owner.transform.localPosition = lPosition;
    20.             }
    21.         }
    22.     }
    23. }
    I hope that helps,
    Tim

mandisaw and hopeful like this.
  45. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @hassonhamo3 , @OlliIllustrator is right.

You can see one content guide I have here: Skinned Meshes

There's another short guide in the asset that I go through Fuse.

I've used Marvelous Designer to make clothes and then I use Maya to create the skinned meshes that Mount Point uses. Check out the link and that should help. :)

(Mount Points won't create the clothes for you... just attach them)

46. OlliIllustrator

OlliIllustrator

Thank you very much Tim.
    Now I understand that I made a mistake by assuming I needed to change the Mount Components point-- it did not even cross my mind to manipulate the instanced Mountpoint on the skinnedmesh target. Now this is pretty clear to me how to address that:)
    Thanks for the scripts.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Tryz likes this.
  47. XCO

XCO

Hello :)

Any news on creating a mask for unity 2018 HDRP ?

48. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @XCO ,

There's nothing special I'll be doing for HDRP in the near future.

We asset developers would love to say that our assets work with every new version of Unity and ever new feature they come up with, but there's just too many changes and differences. I haven't used HDRP myself and if they've done something to prevent me from modifying textures dynamically (as I have for years), it may be that's a Unity feature that if enabled breaks one of my features. :(

It's not a great answer, but I don't have a better one.

XCO likes this.
  49. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@Tryz

Hi, so Im interested in picking up your asset but I have a question about how you export the clothing from Maya.

I read your SkinnedMeshes.pdf, and I followed it but when I import the clothing piece and convert it to Humanoid, I get an error. "Invalid Avatar Configuration. Missing or invalid transform: Required human bone 'LeftLowerLeg' not found."

Does your system automatically assign an Animator Controller to both the base character mesh and the clothing mesh? I ask because my character moves with the Animator Controller but the clothing does not when I assigned the same Animator Controller to both. I just want to make sure I can setup the meshes correctly before I purchase your asset.

Thanks.

50. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @adamz

When you export from Maya, you have to export it with the skin bound to the skeleton. That's what ties the vertices of the clothing to the bones. When you import that into Unity as a 'Humanoid Rig', Unity will create the Avatar Unity uses to map the humanoid bones.

Mount Point uses a single Animator Controller to control the skeleton. When you add clothing, I tie the clothes to the skeleton. So, no additional Animator Controller is needed.

Duffer123 likes this.