Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mount Points

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Tryz

Tryz

AWESOME! That is so cool! :eek:

2. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Thanks! :)

3. Artificialized

Artificialized

First off amazing asset i know its 1 of those AAA++ assets just by reading the reviews and doing a little research.i have a few questions though first to begin with how does 1 go about adding a basic t shirt or pants to fit the 3d character player mesh with this asset?I followed the guide and after 5 hours i keep making stupid mistakes :/ my t shirt keeps disappearing from my player i had it attached the to player game object and had the mount points setup the same as the demo scene basically only except i added my own game objects to my own 3d character.Also note i got the demo scene to work i cant just seem to set it up properly it usually takes me a bit without the help of a developer to fully understand the asset.Im not trying to use the Ui code part im just trying to get my characters to be able to wear clothes its really bothering me ):

Also note i am using the unet networking solution

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  4. Tryz

Tryz

Hi @Cascadex,

The biggest thing to remember is that your t-shirt needs to be a skinned mesh. So, you have to make sure it has bones assigned to it the same names as the skeleton of the human. Once you have the skeleton assigned to your t-shirt, then you have to assign the vertex weights. That's what makes your t-shirt bend as the body bends.

Lastly, make sure your asset is in "Resources" folder. That's what allows Unity to find based on the path.

If you've got those setup, that should be all you need to do.

If you want to email your t-shirt to tim@ootii.com, I'll look at it tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Once you get comfortable with the skinning process, it shouldn't take long to do t-shirt #2. :)

5. Tryz

Tryz

Mount Points v2 is coming! Yep... it's another FREE upgrade.

However, if you don't own it, I will be raising the price some. I do have to feed my family after all. ;)

Here's a teaser:

6. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz,

Looks great. . This asset has been on my wishlist for sometime. . Is there any support for Playmaker actions planned?

7. Tryz

Tryz

Yes!

I didn't know PM until this morning, but I was able to create some actions pretty easily. :)

8. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Tryz,

Excellent!. Have you added playmaker actions to the Asset?

9. Tryz

Tryz

Yeah. The 5 actions in the image above are what I added:
    ConnectMountPoints
    DisconnectMountPoints
    AddSkinnedItem
    RemoveSkinnedItem
    ClearSkinnedItems

red2blue likes this.
  10. Duffer123

Duffer123

11. Tryz

Tryz

12. Duffer123

Duffer123

Tryz likes this.
  13. Tryz

Tryz

Exactly! I saw that too and thought it had massive potential.

Being able to mod any mesh and put on any clothes is definitely awesome. I'm excited about this for my own game too. :)

14. Tryz

Tryz

Mount Points 2.0 is live!
    As promised, it's another FREE upgrade if you already own it. :D

Get it at the Unity Asset Store.

Raise the bar with run-time swappable clothing and gear!

With Mount Points 2.0, you can swap out our character's clothing and equipment at run-time. Use the "Skinned Items" list to preview clothing in the editor and then have your character appear with it in game.

Mount Points 2.0 also includes an advanced skin masking system that allows you to hide the the character's body that's under the clothes. No more bleed through.

With Mount Points, you can simply drag two objects together and when their mount points get close, they snap together like magnets. Drag the objects away from each other and they come apart. Mount Points manages the relationship, orientation, and scale for you. Mount Points doesn't try to recreate Unity’s hierarchy, it leverages and simplifies it.

Use Mount Points with characters from Morph3D, Mixamo, UMA, and everyone else...

Features
    Mount Points supports the following features:
    • Simplified object connections
    • Use with any GameObject
    • Preserves child scale
    • Precise position snapping
    • Precise orientation snapping
    • Mount points attach to bones for animating
    • Supports skinned meshes
    • Supports masks to reduce penetration
    • Easy access through editor or code
    • Easy access through PlayMaker
    • Code, so you can modify as needed

For more details, see the User Guide and the Content Creation Guide.

cygnusprojects likes this.
  15. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

Hi, I have bought this, mostly for skinned clothing...
    I use daz character and morph3d and I'm interested to use the texture mask to hide the body part that overlaps the clothes.
    Question: I use Alloy skin shader (if you know it)... You think that it works?

16. Tryz

Tryz

Hey ThunderTruck,

Thanks for the purchase!

I don't own Alloy, but if it has a cutoff/transparency shader... it will.

I'm changing the alpha property of the skin texture at run-time. Then, your transparency shader would simply render as normal. The best approach is to use a "cutoff" as they tend to have have better alpha sorting.

17. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

Hi,
    Alloy skin sahder uses a alternate texture (not need the alpha channel) only for masking the cutout or dissolve. I think will be simple to do by me...
    Thanks anyway

Tryz likes this.
  18. Tryz

Tryz

A quick update for today.

Version 2.02 will now allow you to create skinned items in the editor without the assets being in a "Resources" folder.

Typically, you want your clothes in a "Resources" folder. This way, you can create them on your characters even if they aren't currently in the scene. This is especially important when you make your builds.

To learn more about "Resources" folders, check this out:
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Special_Folder_Names_in_your_Assets_Folder

lhide likes this.
  19. Tryz

Tryz

After playing around with a couple of character solutions, I've settled on using Morph3D for my game. I love the blend shape access and the characters are looking great.

Still a work and process, but here's Laz with some armor I've been working on:

20. hopeful

hopeful

MCS is a good choice if your game is on desktop and aims to have relatively few characters active at a time. On my system each character I put onscreen eats up about 1.3 or so fps, and that's just with them standing in view on an otherwise empty plane.

Maybe there are realistic ways of reducing that load, and/or maybe in the coming months they will make the system more efficient. But having a cap of, say, 20 HQ characters at a time isn't horrible.

21. Tryz

Tryz

That's good to know. I haven't seen bad performance yet, but I also haven't been trying to stress it.

Something to add to my list... ;)

22. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

I bought all of your assets except bone controller (I use FinalIk and PuppetMaster).
    I have to say that Version 2 Is amazing, code very well written and integrated but,
    but one thing I do not like the Zoom in AdventureCamera with FOV, The FOV distorts the visual ofcourse
    and has a limited distance, Anyway continuous in the correct Thread...

23. Tryz

Tryz

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  24. Tryz

Tryz

Finishing up the main character for my game...

Body is from Morph3D.
    Hair and boots from Mixamo.
    Shirt, pants, belt, and armor were made in Maya.

Textures were done using Substance Painter.

Shirt, pants, boots, belt, and breastplate are skinned meshes added using Mount Points. While the bracer and hair are static meshes also attached using Mount Points.

All these components can be swapped out at run-time. Not too bad for a programmer. :)

John-G likes this.
  25. Bagnol

Bagnol

Looking good, Tryz. Can't wait to see him in action :)

Tryz likes this.
  26. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @mushroomxy ,

You wrote on another thread:
    Hi Tryz,i have exported my cloth fbx file, after added Mount Points component in my charactor,when i add a SkinneddItems , i set my asset path in the ResourcesPath,it loged that“Resource not found ,if you want to instantiate the item at run-time,please ensure the file is in "Resourves" folder ”,my asset located at Assets\ Resources\Cloth\shirt.fbx,i set ResourcesPath "Cloth\shirt", but it doesn't work,how can i fix the problem ,can you show me the folder struct,tks!

PS:
    i change the folder struct as the demo ,but it doesn't work either,

In the picture you attached, the path to your asset was:
    Assets | ModelShow | Demos | Resources | Prefabs | Cloth | Shirt.fbx

So, you should set your "ResourcesPath" to:
    Prefabs\Cloth\Shirt

The "Prefabs" part would need to be part of the path. Can you see if that works?

27. mushroomxy

mushroomxy

thanks,Tryz,Another question,,I want to use MountPoint to change cloth,and also morph my charactor figure by Morph3D,is that what Ishould do is don't delete the morph clip when i set the base Morph3DBase?

28. mushroomxy

mushroomxy

hi ,Tryz,the problem still exist ,i cut my setting as following picture, is there anybody who fix this problem can help me ? or give me the right file struct ?I suggest that set this path use browser dialog,instead of write the path by myself in the next version,

Attached Files:

• 111.png
      111.png
      File size:
      25.9 KB
      Views:
    • 222.png
      222.png
      File size:
      65.6 KB
      Views:
  29. Tryz

Tryz

Odd. I duplicated your folder structure and renamed my file to "pants" and I'm not having the issue. In the code, I'm just doing a "Resources.Load(_ResourcePath)" to see if the path is valid and Unity is telling me it isn't. There's really nothing tricky going on.

Can you send your pants FBX to tim@ootii.com? Maybe there's something in there that Unity isn't liking.

Also, make sure there are no spaces at the end of your path. I noticed that would cause an invalid path as well.

I'll see about adding a file selection button.

30. Tryz

Tryz

Unfortunately, I'm not fully understanding the question, but I've got some thoughts (that might help)...

1. You can definitely use Mount Points to change clothes. I'm doing that now.

2. Using the Morph3D morphs probably won't affect the clothes put on by Mount Points. Mount Points just applies a skinned mesh and doesn't use the same vertices that Morph3D uses in its blendshapes. So, if Morph3D morphs with bones, they should apply... if they morph with vertices, they won't.

3. When I modified Morph3D morphs at run-time (to close and open my character's mouth), I didn't have to delete any morph clips. I just used the functions they provide in their API.

I don't really understand what you mean by "don't delete morph clip" or "I set the base Morph3DBase". Are you talking about in Maya when building clothes?

31. mushroomxy

mushroomxy

@Tryz,thank you ,I have got the right usage of MountPoint ,I missed the skeleton when I handle my mesh in Maya. and the file selection button.is so useful for a newbee, and i have another problem about the disappeared cloth , I have send it to tim@ootii.com,please check it!

if I want change the material of the SkinnedItem,How can I do in my code?

I have another idea,if I want to change my head ,for example ,I want to use my head mesh or other people's head ,I think it maybe like a mask,but totally cover the origin head mesh ,it can be treated as a skinned items? or users who are lazy like me,just wait for you combine it in MountPoint? The texture of the head can be replaced by code will be perfect!;)

32. Olafson

Olafson

Does your tool combine the skinned meshes into one skinned mesh? So you don't end up with 20 skinned mesh per character?

33. Tryz

Tryz

Good stuff. Yeah, it always helps when I can see into the FBX. :)

I saw the email about the collar. The problem is that the normals on your collar are inverted. They are pointing inward instead of outward and Unity isn't rendering the backside of your triangles. You'll need to fix that in Maya.

If you're using Morph3D, it's probably better to stick with their facial morphs to create new heads. However, what you're saying would work today.

The big issue with this approach is blendshapes. Normal skinned meshes really don't know anything about blendshapes. So if the face morphs (say the mouth opens), the newly attached head wouldn't morph with it. That means you don't get the cool facial expressions you do with Morph3D. You'd also still have to use a mask to keep pieces of the underlying head from poking through.

So, what you're suggesting would totally work today. You just loose the facial morphs... which I like. ;)

34. Tryz

Tryz

Unfortunately, no. There is no automatic combining of meshes. I haven't looked into that yet.

35. mushroomxy

mushroomxy

@Tryz,I fixed the normals on my collar ,it works,thanks! I'm appreciate for your help and wait for you new version include create new heads! MountPoint is a great tookkit for me!

Excuse me for hijack here to talk about the other plugin Morph3D.

By the way,I want to talk about the Morph3D with those that who have encounted the same problem like me ,Morph3D is the plugin that include hundreds of blendshapes,its toolkit for making cloth is in progress, but I think Maybe there will be a proper solution to fix the problem if i use MountPoint,or otherwise change the workflow,for example, firstly ,I use the standard charactor model ,secondly,I put on the cloth with MountPoint,thirdly,in unity ,add a cloth component to simulate the cloth physic effect,but the cloth system is still affected by vertices,it should not works, or use MegaFiers to get my purpose,so this confuse me for a long time ,or I scale the mesh that i put on,and add the mesh mask to prevent the mesh penetrate?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  36. Tryz

Tryz

I'm glad it's working for you. :D

Just to clarify, there's not a "new version include create new heads" coming. Mount points can do that now. However, if you want blendshapes to work, you are better off using Morph3D for that. :)

37. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hello, I've just started experimenting with Morph3d today, and somebody pointed me to Mount Points, so here I am. :)

Mount Points looks pretty neat, and might fix or work around the failure of the skin masking that I'm currently experienced with Morph3d (though the Daz guys say this is a known issue with Unity 5.3 on OSX, and should be fixed soon).

But one limitation I've already seen with Morph3d is the very limited selection of clothes and accessories. If you want to make fantasy or SF warriors, you're great, but if (like me) you want to make ordinary city dwellers, the options are very limited. Mount Points might help with that.

But I have neither the time nor (really) the talent to make decent clothing myself. Do you have a list somewhere of Mount Point-compatible clothing assets (with body masks)?

Also, can anyone confirm that such clothing meshes would properly deform with Morph3d body morphs?

38. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @JoeStrout , welcome! :)

Unfortunately there's not a list of compatible clothing. I've made some clothing for my character (see above), but nothing generic.

Tools like Marvelous Designer are super helpful and you may find some assets there. I also used the clothes found in Mixamo's Fuse asset at a base. Then, I just tweaked them in Maya.

You can use any clothing mesh you can find, but you'll need to bind the Morph3D skeleton to it. It's not hard if you own something like Maya. I go through the whole process in this document.

If people do create compatible clothing and masks, I'm happy to host them on the vault.

As for the deforming, most clothes (not created by Morph3D) will have very limited deforming. The reason is that morphs are done with blendshapes and blendshapes manipulate vertices. Skinned meshes (which is typically what clothing is) are manipulated by bones. So, if the morphing is stretching bones, the clothes will stretch too. However, if the morph is done with blendshapes which move verticies, third party clothes aren't typically built knowing what vertices morph.

I hope all that makes sense. :)

lhide and JoeStrout like this.
  39. Olafson

Olafson

Ah to bad. :( We are running into this problem with our current game and a solution for it would have been great. Thank you for answering though.

40. hopeful

hopeful

As for combining of skinned meshes, I believe Mesh Baker does that. You might look into it.

41. lhide

lhide

Hi Tryz, any way we could achieve this (maybe with maya?)?

42. Tryz

Tryz

I *think* if you were to start the clothes off with the same mesh Morph3D uses and create blendshapes, you could. Unfortunately, you're hitting my knowledge limit of Maya and blendshapes. ;)

lhide likes this.
  43. tgienger

tgienger

I haven't purchased yet, but had a thought in anticipation. Could you mount point an arrow at the knock to the string of a bow, then disengage that mount point when firing?

44. Tryz

Tryz

Yep. That all sounds right. :)

45. mushroomxy

mushroomxy

Hi,Tryz, when I add MountPoint after I use the megafiers ,the Unity editor is crashed,

I followed the instruction in http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?page_id=4499
    everything is ok ,but when i want to use the MountPoint ,is crashed.I have send a email for you.

46. Tryz

Tryz

Hi @mushroomxy , Unfortunately, the crash is caused by Megafliers.

In the email you sent, you included this error stack:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MegaDazWindow.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

See how the second line says "MegaDazWindow.OnGUI"? Something in what they are doing is causing that. You'll have to contact them.

If I had a guess, it would be that they don't like it when a transform (think bone) is added to the character at run-time. That's pretty standard stuff, so they should handle it (assuming that's the issue).

Sorry, I wish I could be more help.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  47. Teila

Teila

Did you ever try this with UMA? I forgot about this asset..and then saw the sale today. But we are using UMA and instantiating the characters in the game, so wondering if it is possible to use this. I see mention of UMA, but nothing in the docs.

48. ElectroMantis

ElectroMantis

Would I have any problem using this with clothes that have a cloth sim? I suppose it shouldn't because the bones of the clothes are not removed. Just wanted to make sure.

Also the masking intrigues me. Is the albedo texture's alpha updated with every attachment? Or do I need a different shader that uses a black and white image texture as the cutout value?

49. Tryz

Tryz

I haven't used it with UMA myself, but I know it works with Mixamo characters, Morph3D characters, and other custom characters. I believe UMA instantiates the character at run-time. As long as you can define additional components and their settings somewhere... I wouldn't think there would be an issue. However, I can't promise it.

For static meshes, I use transforms to connect things together. For skinned meshes, clothing would need to use the same bone structure that the UMA skeleton uses.

50. Tryz

Tryz

Unfortunately, I haven't tried this. When I attaching a skinned mesh, I use the bones that are in the mesh and match them to the skeleton. As long as cloth can work with skinned meshes, I think you'd be OK. I'm not altering the mesh itself.

Right. The skin's shader does need to be transparent or cutout. Then, I modify a copy of that skin albedo texture each time a new skinned mesh is attached. I talk a little more about it here on page 16.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016