Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Motorsports Dynamics Engine a.k.a. MoDyEn's very first version is finished!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ravel, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Ravel

Ravel

Motorsports Dynamics Engine a.k.a. MoDyEn is a AAA class realistic modular simulation plugin/package for Unity3d.

With MoDyEn, you can achieve the racing game of your dreams, because it has been carefully developed by an motorsports enthusiast. The development progress under Unity has been about 4 years. The learning curve has been 10 years. Because theoredical wasn't enough, I had to build up my car as a race car to gain real experience with cars that have stiff suspension and racing tires.

So alot of my experience lays around a bmw e36 with racing suspension and a bmw e34 touring with coilovers, 18" rims and falken tires and having a huge camber angle at back for more traction, because it's a wagon. This combination gave me the perfect understanding of what a car is capable of at high speeds(such as 220km/h, the grip that you gain with down force and stability that you love when the suspension is stiffer but not too stiff.

I simply love cars and I cant get enough of them in real life and this is why I wanted to remake the sensation in virtuality, once I discovered unity I saw a perfect combination, it took time, but I'm sure it was worth it!
    Ravel.

I recomend trying the demo with a G27 wheel, because this is what I used for the development and ffb is where the racing really gets you!

Also make sure that if something bothers you, try to finetune the car to your needs, every parameter is important in the tuning page and everything affects the way you drive or drift ;)

The Lite Dll (PC Only) package will drop in asset store today or tomorrow.
    Other versions will follow!

Demo's:
    Public demo 1 (PC only atm!):
    Physics test demo (To confirm if the package works or not!)

Purchase:
    Asset store Online!
    Sellbox Online!

Problems:
    - Crashing because of FFB component, make sure that if you dont have a wheel dont try to use the wheel as a controller!
    otherwise the FFB component is trying to acces the wheel, and since there is no wheel it crashes. So mostly all of the issues currently are related to the ffb component, this wil lchange soon, because I'm going to write a completely new plugin for ffb wich would not crash, because of no ffb device.
    - Still crashing because of the FFB component? Remove or disable the Force Feedback component from your car!
    - Found one? Let me know!

Link to W.I.P. thread:
    If you like this project, you can like it on it's facebook page here!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    cl9-2 and John-G like this.
  2. John-G

John-G

Looking fantastic.

Ravel likes this.
  3. blackbird

blackbird

amazing but honestly not big fan of DLL files they don t work on consoles :/

4. Ravel

Ravel

Source versions will be available next year. :)

5. blackbird

blackbird

wow next year T_T thats too much

6. Ravel

Ravel

PM me

7. Ravel

Ravel

The review process under Asset Store is taking some time. But with a quick math, the package should be up at 10.12.2014.

8. Ravel

Ravel

Just added the link to sellbox!

9. cl9-2

cl9-2

Fantastic news. Will MoDyEn eventually support mobile? Also, will cars be able to accept digital inputs so that they can be used with AI?

Thanks!

Ravel likes this.
  10. Ravel

Ravel

After the success of DLL version android and iPhone version will definently follow, for mobile platforms I'll develop a different lowspeed friction model, to support 50hz simulation speeds.

All inputs are accessible :) throttle, brake, clutch, ebrake, gear etc.

You're welcome!

cl9-2 likes this.
  11. Ravel

Ravel

Just a small warning to the customers, I recently updated the package and one client mentioned that the package does not work.

So new customers, please wait before you purchase, or accept the fact that currently (~8 hours from this post) the package might be broken.

I'll sort this out once I wake up, strange thing is that all works on my PC... might be possible that the issue is not related to the pack at all, but I thought it's polite of me to inform you guys!

12. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

I took the demo car and track for a spin, but it's hard to judge since I normally play with a controller and I couldn't get this game to recognise mine (an Xbox 360 controller). That aside my first impressions are that this is quite impressive, although my experience is limited to Grid/Grid2, NFS Shift, and various arcade racers. No full on simulations though so I can't comment on it merits there. But if I were making an arcade or semi-sim racing game (I'm not) this would be at the top of my shopping list.

*Never mind, I had to change input type to 360 /facepalm.

13. Ravel

Ravel

Since the issue that came up yesterday is quite strange, I compiled a demo with the problematic DLL,
    This demo works on my PC, but does not work on my friends pc, and it has the same DLL that one of my clients had a problem.

This could be explained if the dll was a debug version, but its not. So please try this demo and tell me if it works on your machine or not I'd like to see if this demo only works on my PC.

Link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4yiiysq9m6gcp84/MoDyEn PhysicsTest.rar?dl=0

14. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

It ran the first time, but subsequent runs give this
    crash.png

I attached the debug log.

Your public demo works every time.

I have an Intel i7 4770, 32BG Ram, and ATI R7 260X.

Attached Files:

Ravel likes this.
  15. Ravel

Ravel

Thank you! Strangely this bug appeared right after asset store stuff. To be honest Iäm unsattisfyed how asset store is messing up my project, there is no logical explanation at this time... I'll do my best to figure it out and update this demo, when this demo works, the package is fixed.

Edit: Seems like it's fixed now, can you try the demo and confirm? Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  16. Pulov

Pulov

The canyon demo with the G-25 wheel is shocking amazing. Love how it feels with the slick tires.

17. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

If you want me to retest it you need to post a new version to test?

18. Paulo-Matias

Paulo-Matias

This is great phisics engine, works nice and smooth with Unity 4.

19. Ravel

Ravel

It's a dropbox link so the same link works but the demo is newer :)

Paulo and Pulov, Thanks!

20. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

Nope, it's the same file. Or at least, a file of the same size and still with an error.

21. Ravel

Ravel

Ah I know what it is, the demo is searching for a wheel, I'll fix this when I wake up!

22. Ravel

Ravel

Try it now, I disabled the ffb component by default and added a simple launch controll method.

23. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

This version has my tick of approval.

24. Ravel

Ravel

Thanks Lindsay!

Also I'd like to point out that there may be a chanse that this asset will not make it to the asset store, reason is, the new asset store manager does not accept plugins, since I'm not going to sell my code stupidly cheap I will not upload the source versions on the asset store. So currently the only payment method is sellbox!

I will contact unity devs, to hear their opinnion on the plugins and why they limited such a feature.
    This is as dissapointing to me, as it is to asset store customers. I'm sorry!

25. Marionette

Marionette

Wait a minute. No plugins? What?

R-Lindsay likes this.
  26. Pulov

Pulov

Don't whant to drive this offtopic, you mean unity dudes do not accept anything but source code versions?

27. Ravel

Ravel

28. Ravel

Ravel

Up, How can I get this thread moved to "showcase" or "asset store" category?

29. lolaswift

lolaswift

Just tried the Windows demo app. Awesome! The no.1 on the assets store hands down. I hope you will keep developing it. Looking forward to the mobile version!! Awesome!!!

30. mitis

mitis

Hello, how can you buy your asset Motorsports Dynamics Engine it is not in the store

31. mitis

mitis

Hello, how can you buy your asset Motorsports Dynamics Engine it is not in the store

32. Ravel

Ravel

Hello there, the package will be updated after another project is finished. If the need is urgent, you can contact me via PM