Search Unity

Motorsports Dynamics Engine a.k.a. MoDyEn.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ravel, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Ravel

Ravel

2. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

What about Pro?

3. Ravel

Ravel

Not sure at the moment, because the shader's development is paused at this time. First things first.

4. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

Is MoDyEn physics superb like Assetto Corsa and Project Cars?

5. Ravel

Ravel

Its designed to be as accurate as possible from the roots. I do not compare my project with those games. But I rather compare the simulation and physics with my own car and experience on racing. Also I have reliable race driver contacts, who confirm the accuracy aswell.

6. Ravel

Ravel

bizilux1 likes this.
  7. Ravel

Ravel

Alex_V likes this.
  8. bizilux1

bizilux1

do you have a demo build of that bmw?

i would really really really like to try it :)

9. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

Is there FWD and AWD?

10. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Yes there is, but the development at the moment is "on hold". Developer is rewriting code in order to solve som issues.

11. speedy19802

speedy19802

Good day . I bought their asset in asset store. I have problem with game car controller in my project. Loading car in sene. Car not to drive. Only after deactivating and activating it can be controlled. Could you help me, please ?!

12. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Developer if finishing a very important upgrade ase I read in his blog may be its worth waiting

13. Ravel

Ravel

It has been a while and many of you may think that this project is dead. But I'm proving you the opposite now.
    I have had numerous life events that have made the development quite hard. Mostly the fact that my funds are limited.

Here is a new demo, so you can try the physics out. I'll improve it once I have a chance. I am aware that there are some bugs. But you can always point them out here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3d2l5t1cgfkoevh/PA2017Beta.rar?dl=0

I wrote a completely new DirectInput wrapper aswell, so I'll be waiting some feedback on how it works for you guys. I'll visit the forums more often now.

As for the special keys:
    PageUp - next car
    PageDown - previous car
    1/2 change chassis(only one car has this option enabled)
    3/4 change paint
    5/6 change wheels
    F1 - print telemetry data

14. CoderPro

CoderPro

Hi @Ravel, this project can run on the mobile platforms ? Open source ? And the main physics written by C++ ?

15. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Awesome Ravel!!. Been waiting for your new demo eagerly!!! Each time I saw a new shot in Tumblr you made my day XD

16. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

This used to be a DLL but you could gain acces to source by paying a quite high mount of money, yet sure its worth it yet totally out of my Budget XD

17. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

TESTED! Cooool. Almost playable with only keyboard XD. I do not have the pad here but it feel very goood!. Was a great surprise to find the hands finally there!. Some cars color change does not work, not big deal just let know.

Ravel likes this.
  18. Ravel

Ravel

Thank you for your feedback. @CoderPro The project\s C# version itself runs on mobile devices yes. But as mentioned above I am selling the source separately. Point being, that I have spent almost half of my life developing this and it would be utterly pointless to give it out for nothing. So there are two versions C# version and the DLL package version which is written in C++. The pro version will probably not see the daylight anymore, because the Lite versions life cycle has proven the fact that there is minimal interest in this project.
    But you know I cant work out of thin air and love, our world works with money and I need it to continue working on this project. This also goes to the pirates who stole some of my work. If you have earned something on behalf of my work, it would be really nice to pay your respects to it as we speak.

19. Ravel

Ravel

And this is what the current package is capable of:

Infact this runs on the C# version and is mobile compatible, so if anyone is interested in the C# source, please kindly PM me, as the funding would be greatly appreciated

It runs at stable 60fps and I tested it with 64 cars without any issues. Ecept the AI does not know how to reverse. The AI is not included in the MoDyEn Lite package. If there is interest in the Ai I can sell it separately.

khos and HolBol like this.
  20. CoderPro

CoderPro

Why you do not release to asset store or your site ? And C# version is do not contains .dll files?

If C# version and Dll version are different, so what the different of these versions ?

21. Ravel

Ravel

@CoderPro I decided to update the editor gui user interface before I post the update, users are complaining about the car setup not being simple enough, so I figured I would make it a little better, but its a time consuming process, even the reintegration of the gui. The C# version does not contain Dll files yes.

22. CoderPro

CoderPro

So, when will you release C# version ? I hope you will release the C# version soon.

23. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Ravel could you make a playable build of the BMW shown in vidoe?. The demos is more drift focused and I'm much more interested in grippy vehicles. I tested with gamepad and still difficult to master the demo vehicles, at least without a ton of aids.

Also I tried to lower x360 pad sensitivity but seems to have no effect. The steering seems too sensitive to me.

24. CoderPro

CoderPro

I am also grateful if can be try the demo version. Its look very good.

25. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Everyone is playing nicely with the X360 pad? may be I'm doing somethign wrong?

I'll try to setup car files just in case....

26. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

27. CoderPro

CoderPro

@Ravel When you release the C# version ? I am waiting for that.

28. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Source version has been available from day 0. Other issue is wether you can pay it or not.

29. CoderPro

CoderPro

Sent a PM. But not receive response.

30. Ravel

Ravel

Hello, I PM'd you.

@TooManySugar The x36 sensitivity should have a noticeable effect. Does the steering wheel indicator work in the configuration menu? As for grippy vehicles. the cars have nearly no down force and the suspension is set up to drift. You'd have to configure the car definition files to your liking, that requires research on the vehicle in mind. I recommend adding more down force to rear to get instant changes, but you'd have to balance in rest of the car after that change.

31. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

I've not tested in a while but I believe I finally amnaged to it read sensitivity. Got to say that the only car that behaved nicely with the pad was the yellow nissan, actually pretty nice, natural drifts and controlable. The blue one still not bad, the rest where in the nightmare range. Specially red Nissan witch could not even control it in straights... :D

When will you update the package?.

I bought the physics loooong time ago, may be I was your first or second buyer, before it hit asset store... May be you could send me an asset store coupon or something and get rid of the old and more unreliable method of delivery. What would you need invoice?

32. Ravel

Ravel

Hello TooManySugar,
    Today I finished the update and uploaded it to the asset store, it should be available in no time :)

Here's the latest demo that is 1:1 on what you get with the update.

Slipangle likes this.
  33. Ravel

Ravel

Good news you all!
    I just finished the Revision 2.0 build and update package and it is currently awaiting approval at the asset store, it shouldn't take more than a week, so you can all get the update, from the Asset Store, where you originally bought the asset. Of Course if anyone wants to purchase it directly from me, or all ready has done this, please contact me directly here, or through the projects Facebook page ( I have been quite active there lately).

I went down and under with this update and I hope you'll like the new update and be satisfied of what I have to offer this time around!

It has been awhile since the initial release, but the wait is greatly awarded, with an update that packs quite abit! A brand new core for example.

Shortly whats new in Revision 2.0?
    - Complete Rewrite of the project
    - Runge Kutta 4 Integration (Huge performace boost, up to 100 cars at minimum impact to CPU, runs at stable 60HZ now!)
    - New Inspector UI
    - Deformable tires
    - Stylish new UI with Telemetry
    ...And Much More!

Full list of version changes:
    • Complete Rewrite of the project
    • Runge Kutta 4 Integration (Huge performace boost, up to 100 cars at minimum impact to CPU)
    • Fixed 0.02 Timestep thanks to the Runge Kutta Integrator
    • Various bug fixes in the core unit
    • Improvements in driveline simulation
    • Improvements in differential simulation
    • Improvements in aerodynamics simulation
    • Improvements in wheel simulation
    • Aspiration conversion added: Turbo (Further Updates are in Pro version)
    • Launch control added
    • Local access to friction data added
    • New Inspector UI
    • New Replay unit
    • New Unique camera with different modes
    • New SurfaceManager with surface effects(Skidmarks, Sounds, Particles)
    • Basic metallic car paint with damage layer added
    • Minimap with feathered edges added
    • Deformable tires (Further Updates are in Pro version)
    • Brake disk heat simulation and glow (Further Updates are in Pro version)
    • Unique Light billboard glow Flares(Requires Specified content)
    • Basic rigged driver animations(Steering and head movement)
    • New Direct Input plugin that supports axis sensitivity and deadzone (Currently in Preview mode and may be updated)
    • Improved Force Feedback
    • Stylish new Telemetry (Further Updates are in Pro version)
    • Completely working Game UI with Pause menu, options and tuning
    • Data saving( Comes with the new UI And is ready for further development by the user)
    • Additional bonus 1 Night N Day Cycle
    • Additional bonus 2 Basic real-time water rendering with buoyancy

Here's the Demo that is 1:1 on what comes out of the box.

MoDyEn ScreenShot 1.jpg MoDyEn ScreenShot 2.jpg MoDyEn ScreenShot 3.jpg MoDyEn ScreenShot 4.jpg

Conclusion:
    I know I took my time on developing this update, some thought that I abandoned this project, but how come I?! Be positive, this time you might not need another update in a while anyways, because it should be production ready. Ofcourse that doesnt mean I'll wanish to the depths of nowhereness, like it seemed before. I'll check back here every now and then. I am always glad to reply in any way I can, but if you need my contact, then thats why the facebook page is for!

I'll be waiting for your feedback on the demo and on the product itself from all of you who contributed to this Project, or people with interest in general.

My best wishes to all of you!
    Ravel.

HolBol likes this.
  34. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

How much does the Pro version cost?

35. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Congrats Ravel!!

The thing is that I bought your package very early like when there it was not on the store, nevermind, will send you a mail with the invoice.

The damage screenshot reminds me of Project gotham damage on Xbox1.

I'm very happy, gonna test latest build :D

36. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

I've been testing like for half an hour.
    Men, you F***ing nailed it!.

It feel really really really good.

On default settings playing with the gamepad it feels a bit too contrained and auto driven.

Dissabling Steer Speed Assist, makes a great difference and feels much more freed.
    Doing so feels like perfect balance of arcade/realistic mode

Dissabling Steer lock assist witch feels like auto steer is ans tep further into the challenge.

Dissabling everything sets you in kind of a hellish place and to my liking too challenging as I preffer eased driving XD.

Small complaints.
    Sometimes car does some very unrealistic mini bounces. I asume this is suspensión setup or antiroll
    Sometims when kicking accel to the max after hard braking thing goes like on three wheels and may feel a bit ankward for a momento. I asume this is again setup.

Going uphill on the twisty road was really really fun. Will test further.

37. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

forgot to mention, lower sensitivity to the max sensitivity when playing with gamepad.

strange behaviour:
    whe going high speed the car will go sideways very easily when braking and slightly turning.

I wish I could tune brake and suspensión but have been removed from the demo.
    Also drivetrians FW, AW etc not present.

possible bug:
    out of asphalt, on a gras slope (most of the times) you can not engage reverse in automatic.
    sometimes I had issues engagin drive gears when in reverse, but that is more rare.

38. speedy19802

speedy19802

good job . looking forward to the updat

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  39. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

https://youtu.be/516YrUH88UI
    I've made a video playerd with gamepad where I display some of the stuff I did mention in previous post.

Aside of the vid stuff, in regards to setup
    If I could lessen the steering sensitivity even further I would.
    Brakes are also a bit too sensitive in that setup.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  40. speedy19802

speedy19802

Hello . I have problems with v2 in unity. I use unity 2017.1.1f1. The car jumps back and forth. Not controllable

41. Ravel

Ravel

Hello, the bouning issue is addressed and the fix is at the
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kp0icyo0ic6v6py/MoDyEnDemoPatch.rar
    The problem was that the change between fast and slow damper rates was to aggressive. Changing these values to the same will also fix the issue. Or raising the bumpStage variables 10 times. Sorry for the troubles. It will take another week or two to ypdate the asset store package. Best Regards, Ravel.

TooManySugar and SHIBAPOWER like this.
  42. speedy19802

speedy19802

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  43. user099

user099

JamesArndt and TooManySugar like this.
  44. lukejaparidze

lukejaparidze

Hi Ravel!
    After seeing the new version of this package, I am very interested. I'm looking to replace my old physics package (UnityCar) and I have a few questions for you :)

1. How easy is it to implement AI into this package (I currently have IRDS at the moment for AI with a custom script to control my cars)
    2. How realistic would the handling be for a regular setup, the demos I've seen and played feature drift car setups, which I can definitely use but my game primarily focuses on racing, not drifting?
    3. Is there a damage system included that can simulate parts deforming and breaking off as well as decline of vehicle performance (engine stalls more frequently, decreased hp, etc)? (currently have my own proprietary code but I cant figure out how to simulate damaging drivetrain components)
    4. What do you mean by deformable tires in your store page?
    5. Does this support 3d tire simulation (multiple contact points detected on a wheel vs a single contact point like unity's built in wheel collider)? Ex: Physics.spherecast instead of physics.raycast
    6. Would you be able to offer a student discount or something like that on the package, its a bit out of my price range at the moment and I'm not 100 percent sure if this will be an adequate replacement for me?

The package looks awesome and I am really interested in buying it!
    Thanks,
    Luke

45. lukejaparidze

lukejaparidze

Oh, one more thing, most of the cars in my game use data from real world vehicles (horsepower, torque, max hp and torque rpms, gear ratios, etc). Does this support entering in things like gear ratios?
    Thanks!

46. SHIBAPOWER

SHIBAPOWER

I still save money and waiting for pro version...

47. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

You really need source that badly :D?

//--------------
    [QUOTE="Ravel, post: 3272559, member: 28894".[/QUOTE]
    Ravel, I was able to finally start with the racing project. Testing in editor noticed what I suspected when quick testing the demo build, the pad sensitivity needs tuning. I've not checked wether this part of the code is dll packed or not but what happens is as follows:

Steer sensitivity, horizontal analog from -1 to 1 seems mapped so that input limits are 1:1 mapped to steer angle limits making even with lowest sensitivity hyper sensitive to player inputs.

I've checked a couple of games like GT6 and Dirt rally and both have following approach :

When not turning and you start to turn, the the -1 1 analog range is associated to a limited range of the steering Wheel, I would ser that is per car basis. This avoids undesired steer kicks that occur atm in the game. If steer limit is achieved from the limited range, the steer keeps turning at a limited speed (per car basis I would say). And that approach does work for analog pads.
    Into the mix there are also a couple extra factors going on. Steer speed is limited by vehicle speed, I believe this already was in Modyen too.
    And there is also a max turning speed limit.
    Furthermore the initial -1 1 range that affects a limited steering range aside from linear could/may/should be a curve controled.

With those ingredients we could accurately map the vehicle inputs so they can be played with pads.

Still as it is, at correct speeds the physics where this input issue falls in the sweetspot, it feel incredible.

IMPORTANT ISSUE(S):

Ok, I've noticed some crazy stuff going on. This happens in 2017.3 and 2017.3 patch 3. There is some serious performance issue where the CPU is the clear bottleneck and some weird physics behaviours.

-->PERFORMANCE.
    Performance is abysmal. Demo scene is running around 40FPS and CPU is totally cloged. 2017.3 p3 may be running a lit better with less pronouced spikes.

Editor overhead aside the SurfaceManager seems to have some crazy cpu ussage. Have not yet get into what it does but I bet is some kind of Surface properties manager such friciton fx and such.

upload_2018-1-25_12-5-6.png

upload_2018-1-25_12-5-40.png

And this seems to have direct consequences in vehicle physics behaviour because it behaves very weirdly with the car having very glitchy bounces. I replaced dll patch for bounces and does not fix so this have to be (they're) different bounce issues. Also the package I use is the Dropbox one (early buyers) that was updated day befor ravel posted patch so likely is patched.

Theese issues, when I build, seem gone, its crazy, the vehicle behaves like a charm, no bounces no S*** (steering aside). The game runs 70-100FPS stil low but without kicks and all butter smooth.

I say its low because the demos is an extremelly simple scene and if this suposed to handle 100 cars no way a single vehicle can have such impact, this should be runnning no less tan 300FPS.

OK so in editor I put a plane and remove all track data in case cpu is cloved by unnoptimized track model but is no, obviously the batches wherent that much. Profiler still has crazy pikes.

upload_2018-1-25_12-13-17.png

So now cpu is relieved from the most of render stress I did a test. I put 2 AI cars and see how it scalates. And ressults are no good:
    2AI
    upload_2018-1-25_12-27-18.png
    3AI

6AI Catastrophic already 80ms CPU and suprisingly 13ms GPU a gtx1080, I guess vehicles have many parts and batches skyrocket +shader uses increases further the drawcalls.

So, there is som kind of conflicto, wether is bug from unity or package. I've seen Ravel's videos with many cars running smooth and I've seen working ofr years in this so I know this is a temporary thing but let you know Ravel this is happening. I've just downloaded 2017.2 and I'm gonna check in there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  48. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

2017.2 is even worse, after deleting the modyen folder cause shader seemed glitched after moving Project backwards in versión I freshly reimporta and as car starts doing a drift the Project crashes. I check script execution and skidmarks where +100.

I've attached the log in case it can help

Attached Files:

49. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Ok I've downloaded 2018 beta4.
    Was seeing same weird stuff ...

Found out that:

Closing profiler solves car kick issue..... Unity.....

BUT, more importantly, dissabling car fx script makes fps skyrocket. Something is extremelly taxing inside the Update function of that script. Dissablign that on AI cars make theAi count more scalable. Unlike as I thought initally sufrace manager seems to have Little effect on fps.

Hope Ravel shows up son to drop some light into this.

50. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Without car fx CPU tax is 9ms aprox. Considering editor overhead is 40% things start to look more promissing tomorrow will look into car fx script and check what it does in order to kill performance so badly.

upload_2018-1-25_19-12-16.png

I just made a build, it was runing like 150fps, left for a Little and came back and was night time and fps counter was like 340fps, so there is probably an overhead due to proves and such, I'll try to prepare tomorrow a super low end graphically demo with all the unnecesary car parts removed and the standard shader without any relfection and such.

I noticed another weird thing, may be this was controlled by car fx, but I noticed the wheels to wobble from time to time. In a quick look to carfx variables saw the nec bone, may be is a bone that has position controlled in update and may be that is an overkill I'll comment that section of code tomorrow.