Search Unity

Motorsports Dynamics Engine a.k.a. MoDyEn.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ravel, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Indians

Indians

Ravel!! answer me in PM please!! waiting 4 u)

2. Ravel

Ravel

Clean rewrite done, lowlevel friction fixing in progress(seems to be fixed but am still testing it)
    FFB works reasonably well now, overal I'm doing indepth cleanup, to find small bugs and eliminate them.
    Will start searching media for public demo soon.

3. GeckoQuality

GeckoQuality

Where do you get your car models would help alot thanks :D

4. Ravel

Ravel

A quick update, I set the simulation speed from 0.02 (unity standard) to 0.001 ( industry standard for tire model simulation)
    basically it's a change from 50hz simulation to 1000hz simulation. Doing some tests with powerfull cars to see how the clutch can handle it. But as for now The handling seems to be good. Found out an important part that was missing fro mthe simulation that made the cars oversteer after heavy braking. Now they behave the way the car is set up, if there is 70/30 braking the car will understeer at heavy braking. I'm really pleased with the result. And I'm trying to find ways to get the simulation to run at 0.02 aswell without side effects. Right now the car gets a little jerky at low speeds when running at 50hz.

Also I'd like to point this out, that mostly car simulators are running at higher framerates.
    Here are some examples (from http://www.virtualr.net)

rFactor – 400 Hz
    Test Drive Unlimited – 100 Hz (collision detection) / 1000 Hz (vehicle dynamics)
    netKar Pro – 333 Hz [posted by Kunos on RSC]
    Forza Motorsport 2 – 360 Hz [from wikipedia article]
    Ferrari Challenge: Trofeo Pirelli – 60 Hz
    iRacing – 360 Hz [from AutoSimSport]
    Live For Speed – 100 Hz (general) / 2000 Hz (tyre rotation) [posted by Scawen on lfsforum]
    NASCAR Racing 2003 Season – 288 Hz (possibly)
    Grand Prix Legends – 288 Hz
    Sports Car GT – 50 Hz [from Blackhole Motorsports article]

As for the ffb, it feels really good after those changes, I can have a 300nm car with race setup and front wheels at camber -5 and you can feel the road through ffb, it really is an amazing experience. Alot more than I expected from my simulation! I will soon share the experience with all of you, because it's getting really complete now. Just some minor tweaking&testing to get it just right.

5. Ravel

Ravel

6. Pulov

Pulov

Hi>> video from the latest demo.

It is not the stock setup I did modify the config files to check different behaviors.

I modified the grip not by touching the aerodynamics as I read the pm too late :) Will do next time.

Ravel. The RT reflections are eating a lot of FPS otherwise I cant find other reason for the FPS be so low, I've to decrease a lot the quality to record, and still gets a bit choppy so I cant drive very nicely. I would suggest to add a checkbox to disable them. Would also suggest to add a button to reload car params so that we can mess with config and no need to relaunch the demo each time a param is changed....

I miss when approaching a curve the engine revving when lowering gears. Now there is a disssorienting silence, as there is no engine noise if no acceleration. Feeling the grip of the motor will add also a very nice feeling. Sure it is on the way.

This demo is ssssssuperb.

Amazing job!

7. HolBol

HolBol

Any chance of a webplayer?

8. Pulov

Pulov

default demo setup. better than mine :)

I'll pm you Ravel with an issue I found with the brake.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  9. Ravel

Ravel

If you mean the car going straight while heavy braking, then its setup related, the front wheels are blocked and just go straight, to fix this set the braking balance more to the rear, right now its 70/30, set it 60/50 maybe, Or decrease braking torque on front and back brakes(wheels section)
    Basically the brakes are for a 1200 kg car but I lightened the car to 950, so indeed you can raise the weight to 1200, but I personally feel like this car should be quite lightweight.

As for the web player, there wont be a webplayer in the near time, because there still are some bits to be fixed, upgraded. Also I'm waiting for legal media from my great friend, to use in the public demonstrations. But I'll do my best to get the public demonstration ready.

10. Pulov

Pulov

whell, was not that, that did not happen too much in this demo to me. But geat to know hot to solve it. As you comented here, I tell you whats going on imo.

It is that the brake is behabing pretty much like brake +clutch!!!

Tested and tested and definetly brake +clutch behavior. If you brake + accel the rev goes nuts till rev cut and when releaseing the brake the car gets a power kick, as if the engine gets into the active gear... like a clutch release on a reved engine.

If brake without accel, the revs are killed and engine gets silenced. In the vid I downgeared while slightly accelerating to avoid this, this is why I've a bit weird approaching to curves.

But overall the demo is ssssssuperb.

The incoming time based features ( as seen on the config files) will be great , don't forget about tire wear when you start on these. The car info file is also a nice addon.

Keep up this super nice project!>>

11. Ravel

Ravel

ah, thats just an assist, while heavy braking there will be clutch disengaged to avoid stalling :)

12. radimoto

radimoto

Hi Ravel, do you have any plans to release your car physics on the Asset Store?
    If so, is there any ETA on when we it would be for sale?

13. Ravel

Ravel

Hi radimoto, sofar no ETA, but the project will have 2 releases in 2 ways. In asset store and directly (paypal). The project will have a source version and a closed source (dll) version.

But id like you to know, that I'm working on this daily to get it released publicly. For those who are really interested there is also a chanse to get the private beta version (this will only apply on the source version and later receive the full source version). For furthrt information PM me.

14. Pulov

Pulov

Ammm, may be the param that considers"heavy braking" is a bit too little forgiving, but as you've this under control no issue at all just config.

15. Ravel

Ravel

$inview.jpg

Heavy physics testing in progress to find final leaks of physical missbehaviour, after a racedriver has tested a private buid with 1:1 car setup to real life and has confirmed that the simulation is real the project is ready for release.
    Here's a little screenshot to show that the project is alive and going in the right direction. Also you can see that the shaders are now more IBL, the whole cockpit is reflective. Quess the track.

16. simcovr

simcovr

Hi Ravel,

nice project. However be careful on showing that track: they are very demanding about licensing, also if you only show some pictures or release for free.

;)

17. Ravel

Ravel

hmm strange, wich ones tho, the creators of the 3d track or the reallife track owners? For now its only personal use and could say as entertainment purpose so I dont see any legal issues when showing images or videos. Tho if id release the demo in public without permission, then it would be a different story indeed.

18. Djiel

Djiel

The road markings are a dead giveaway, it's Nordschleife :)
    Nice to see it's going well.

19. Ravel

Ravel

20. simcovr

simcovr

The track owners :)

21. Alex_V

Alex_V

My wallet is ready!
    Agree on the comment left by someone on YT, there's some work to be done on the sounds for the demo. For developers it doesn't really matter because they will have their own sounds and their chosen audio volume :)

22. bizilux1

bizilux1

oh boy oh boy!!! im so wet right now :D

23. Pulov

Pulov

Quick video from the latest demo.

I had to use the auto gear because in this demo the manual runs on the H gearbox which I hate for the g-25 wheel because it feels ultra cheap.

I'm pretty sure that considering how polished everything feels it its close from release.

24. Ravel

Ravel

Here's a little update.
    The core is about finished, adding a few important simulation features and then its done.
    After the core is finished, I'm starting to build the first public demo, Unity user interface and external tools.

The first tool is functional allready. This is a tool for tire data development.

25. Alex_V

Alex_V

Couple of questions regarding Pacejka:
    How hard would it be to have the '94 version instead? There's already quite a few good data sets for '94, especially in Racer.
    Is Pacejka '06/MF5.2 the latest?

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  26. Ravel

Ravel

Hi Alex, well pacejka 94 is allready supported, tho I've really seen only one ceoficient set for p94. Racer used p89. So data sets from racer can be directly used. Tho the behaviour is a little different, because there are no longer static peak values, they are load dependent, like they should be.
    The editor is p89 compatible atm.
    Also the image is a bit outdated because I allready made some changes to the editor, the graph scaling was 2x off

MF5.2 is the latest as far as I know and is also in the todo list once I got the important features done. Actually the holdback for it is that I dont have any data sets for MF5.2

27. Pulov

Pulov

Hi there.>>> Small video

I'm loving the latest demo, had no time to read all the documentation so can not yet tweak perfectly to my liking but this demo is brutal.

Recorded with the demo minimized so the driving was a bit hard, plus the killer lensflare.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  28. bizilux1

bizilux1

hey man... i've been thinking about what happened to this project?... :(

i played old demo again... oh man its like love at first sight

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  29. Pulov

Pulov

I would say that the dev is fully focused on a racing project rather than the raccing asset.

Its funny because I've also been playing old demos recently.

30. bizilux1

bizilux1

i wish i had demos of BMW, i only have that toyota rally car, i think its that car... can you send them to me via PM? :)

31. Pulov

Pulov

Hi there. I'm afraid that I can not pass you a demo Ravel sent me via pm. If he shows up and sees this ok no prob, I'll upload to mega or wherever. Anyway sure the project is more evolved than it was.

32. bizilux1

bizilux1

yeh i sure hope so :)
    it was already almost really finished at that time... and unity 5 comes out in few months, and it will have even better physics, so yeh, some proper racing simulator can be done then

33. Ravel

Ravel

Hello! I'm currently focusing fully on the release of modyen :) I recored a lap, to showcase the physics and accuracy. Did a few mistakes on the lap, but the car is quite powerfull, afterall it is a 350km/h+ car. So I'm impressed with the results, 2:08,04 on the ring.
    Some specs of the car:
    weight:1170kg
    weight distribution: 45/55

Please ignore the lag, because I'm developing this with a laptop that only has 4gb of ram & I think, Fraps is using all of it while recording.

Does it look natural?
    And as for critics, what do you think, needs to be improved?

Edit: For information currently the simulation runs at 400hz

Alex_V and John-G like this.
  34. Pulov

Pulov

The lag is killing the perception of handling. I'll try to record myself, will try with the xbox pad first because I've the weel boxed now if does not work will unbox because this demos for sure deserves it. Tested with the keyboard and was pretty much impossible, graphically it looks stuning, GI like, may bit a little bit to bright whitch causes on the camera change the eye adaptation to darken too much at first.... little things.

EDIT:

GREAT. works with the x360 pad, getting familiar with the handling. I'll post a video today.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  35. Ravel

Ravel

Currently I have disabled the steering wheel anyways, because I dont have room to use the wheel atm, So I'm developing it with a xbox controller atm, pretty hard to figure out the most logical approach to a arcade controller with sim behaviour. Currently I'm lerping the steering and added some steering helper's, one will countersteer by angle. For example if you go sideways, the helper steers to the direction of heading. I'll add some controller setup parameters soon. Also if you feel like something needs to be setup differently hit F2, I enabled some quick tuning params this time.

Edit:
    Theoredically if you are clever enough, you could setup the car to drift, because it has 700+ nm and you can switch from grip tires to drift tires now with ease. But that was not the point. I'm trying to achieve the best handling possible with my physics. The current setup is quite close, but steering seems to need some improvements. The current setup is ok for most racing scenarios, previously did GT3 cars and was quite enjoyable. But this car is a whole new class. And since I havent personally driven this car, I can only imagine how it handles by looking at some videos and the data that lays on the internet.

36. Alex_V

Alex_V

Last demo I played was the Capri with Toban, at the time it felt like it had too much grip or not enough lateral slip and some oversteer, but that might just be the setup and tires. Maybe it would be a good idea to record a demo with a car that has more body roll and softer suspensions?
    Also I'd record some close-ups of the suspension behavior, etc, some sliding and brake lock-up.
    Other than that, really looking forward to buy it :D

37. Pulov

Pulov

Duude, this themo is the awesomeness to the max.

I was feeling really unconfortable with the steering, a little kick on teh stick and the car was dviating like 29-30 Degrees from the straight. So I started tweaking things a bit and came across this setup whitch is not definitive but definetly increases, at least the fun factor, to the sky and beyond.

Steering Angle 9,4 This is to damper the extreme sensitiviness.

Front and rear spring stiffness to teh half : 34,1K 44,5K

Front and rear spring lenght: 8,2 and 10 cm. This parameter has an enormous impact on behavior.

slick tires

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  38. Pulov

Pulov

Hello all. I've recorded a video from the last demo. A lot of awesomeness packed in this demo.

I recommend to skip until sec 50.

This is the replay, so no goodies such as skidmarks and smoke. I would happyly record gameplay from teh chasecam but atm even if it runs at superhigh framerate there is some kind of judder when I activate fraps and the control gets trickky. I'll try other methods.

Awesome job Ravel.

Ravel likes this.
  39. Ravel

Ravel

Thank you Pulov :)

Here is a little video I but together myself:

Pulov and Alex_V like this.
  40. Paulo-Matias

Paulo-Matias

Lol, it seems you didnt do your home work before you post, ravel completely cool by using this track in "track owners" leagal side, what could be a issue is the 3d scene creator, keep in mind that everything a track owner can sell as a license is the name and logo of it sinse no one can license a piece of land in this particular case, but assuming that it could be a legal issue is possible to change a couple of stands covers and bang, problem solve, for cars things are not that simple, alot more trademark issues involved sinse is a comercial industrial product.

41. Pulov

Pulov

Made a video from the cockpit.
    Amazing stuff [as I said]!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  42. bizilux1

bizilux1

oh great. the pack is alive! can i get demo too?

another thing... why dont you ask unity staff, to give you unity 5 beta?

i heard physics are a lot better in unity 5...

43. simcovr

simcovr

Since I work in professional driving simulations, I know the subject very well.
    For the Nordscheife see the link below:

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/busin...&sword_list[0]=map&sword_list[1]=nordschleife

The same concept is for every racing track in the world. Every track has its company that is the owner of the layout, data, name, logo and so on :)

So I did my home work :)

44. Paulo-Matias

Paulo-Matias

Name, logo is easly changeble, dunno what you mean exactly by data, layout well i sinserely dought that is licenced but i wouldnt push it before doing my homework, but even if the layout is licenced creating a chicane here or there will solve the problem.

45. Pulov

Pulov

Layout, men, it would be ase easy as scaling it by 1,1 in Z X or Y and would be differente, even if you pretend to copy 1:1 ould still be different unless you use scanner laser with milimeter acuracy witch will not be present in game with this resolution, so appart from names and logos the rest is easily workarround-able

46. Alex_V

Alex_V

simcovr is right, especially in this case. The track owner have trademarked the logos, names and also the various layouts (Nurb GP, Nords, etc). Putting a chicane wouldn't be enough. With other tracks it's not as hard (see rFactor 2 has Estoril named as "Portugal GP" and so on).

47. Paulo-Matias

Paulo-Matias

I dont think he is but maybe is a mather of opinion, what i know is a subject easly to workaround.

48. Ravel

Ravel

Thanks! The Capri demo had a little to low cg I guess, but I understand what you mean. Overall it was the setup, but the code side has also changed a little since the capri demo.

About bodyroll and softer suspension, here you go :)

This car has 80k at front and 70k at back and higher cg, about 0.36m from the ground. Tires are grippy and so the car sometimes wants to drive on 2 wheels at high lateral G corners, not sure if this is completely real or the cg is a bit to high for this one, but it sure was challenging to race like this, feeling the grip to the limit :D

49. Ravel

Ravel

I just noticed that I got antirollbars disabled in the last video, so thats why the car wanted to roll over on some bumps.
    I'll record a new video soon. As soon as I get some stuff fixed in the latest demo, I'll upload it to the public, so It's the first public demo in a while.

Hoping to release the Lite Dll package in December. Price will be 220€. Other versions will follow. The dates will rely on how successfull the first sale is.

50. Alex_V

Alex_V

Cool video, that's what I was looking for :) (even without ARB lol).

Really looking forward to the public demo and especially the first release!