Search Unity

Motorsports Dynamics Engine a.k.a. MoDyEn.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ravel, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Ravel

Ravel

Long time no posts here, I was busy building a prototype based on my project. Some features need to be added and some polished. I'm working on this project dayli and been updating the blog as much as possible. Thought I'd bost some latest screens here also to prove that this project is not dead, as some may start to think.

About motorcycles, It's all about balancing so I will look into this when the demo is ready.
    (Old glass shader, Dusk Theme)

(New glass shader, Day Theme)

This Toyota Supra and Audi R8 are currently the cars that I Have permision for to use in the demo.
    I'm about to take a deep look into GUI and Game mode customization and seprate physics setups per car.

2. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Looks amazing! Can't wait to see the R8 (one of my favorite cars).

3. Pulov

Pulov

K.mon Ravel build a video for us so we can see it in motion/action.:cool:

4. iluda15

iluda15

I'm back and your work is still great thank you for your hard work and i will love your car sim
    and by any chance are you going to add a lamborghini? Please add one :)

5. dev_peter

dev_peter

would love to see a linux version of this game! Any chance of getting one at the end?

6. Pulov

Pulov

as far as Unity4 compiles for linux and as long as no very specific dll is developed for this to run ... should >

7. Ravel

Ravel

Hello Peter,
    As Pulov said, but id like to add that for linux there will be no force feedback effects due to a .dll plugin.

8. dev_peter

dev_peter

awesome! if you need someone to test it i'm here :)

9. Ravel

Ravel

Messing around with shifts media, thought id share some pics aswell

10. Djiel

Djiel

Looks great Ravel :)
    I'm really aching for some hands-on time though :p

11. Roylen

Roylen

Hey Ravel,
    I had been following your blog....good to see so many awesome updates!!

Hoping to get a chance to drive soon!!

12. iluda15

iluda15

Looks good in every angle even if this was a paid game i will buy it

13. brn

brn

Looks great nice work!

14. iluda15

iluda15

can u please open the demo :)
    even tho its not finshed can you? Or will all of us have to wait till it is finshed?

15. Ravel

Ravel

Hey iluda15, I Have a very busy case at the moment, I have to finish the demo with all of the features, But at one point I'm going to release a little demo video and then I should be able to make a little early release. Here are some pictures:

16. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Looks awesome yet again!

17. carking1996

carking1996

The car doesn't look as good as the environment. Maybe its the low-res reflections or the fact that the sky isn't reflecting too much(on grey paint)?

18. Ravel

Ravel

The thing is that the car is low poly, such can be used on mobile devices. I tweaked the shaders to look minimalistic yet believable.
    The environment itself is also low quality.

19. reddotgames

reddotgames

Those wheels don't look so much low poly for me at all :D

Ravel I'm wondering at what average tris you targeting at? 30k? And what device? ip 4s minimum?

20. iluda15

iluda15

thanks for the update Ravel but your game can really shine u should have a cock pit view if you dont have the time its ok and the cock pits dont need to be high polyed

21. Extreme_u3Damon

Extreme_u3Damon

any Updates , ETA , or any new progress Ravel ???
    we are waiting Ravel please give us the New Year Gift by releasing the kit :D

22. Pulov

Pulov

Hi. I bring this thread from the Abbyss >>

I've been absolutely absorved with university exams>> now they're over, I've been following the thread and the blog , and lateley there is very little info.

Ravel, would be great if you could update us with the actual status of the project.

Regards.

Pablo>_

23. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe

You have a sale here!

24. jakobdzl

jakobdzl

interested in purchasing...

25. Paulo-Matias

Paulo-Matias

Is this project still active?

26. bizilux1

bizilux1

well too bad that this isnt alive anymore? ... it looked so great man... wish it would make it to asset store

27. Extreme_u3Damon

Extreme_u3Damon

Actually its Alive ! but not here ! check out the Thumbler of the developer

28. Ravel

Ravel

Hello all of you and Merry Christmas!

I finally returned to the forums after a year or so. I was extremely busy on the development of the physics simulation.
    And I'm glad to inform you, that the physics are finished and stable in all common cases (racing&drifting etc.)

There have been blenty of testing with proper steering wheels with ffb.
    People who are interested in this project(physics mainly) can contact me via PM.

This message is to regain my activity on the forum. And to be reachable for potential clients.

I will post new details and info soon about how things will lok like regarding to The overall MoDyEn Project and the sub projects (ai, race logic, replay and ofcourse the main thing, physic).

Ravel.

29. Extreme_u3Damon

Extreme_u3Damon

Hi Ravel ! Its most gladly to hear that and find you back here !
    and thanks for the awesome news ! i was tracking you on the Thumbler !

and really wanna see the progress in action !
    Any way glad to see you back in activity ! and we are ready for the news !

Merry Christmas!

30. bizilux1

bizilux1

yes everyone is glad heh... if only prices were set for regular mortal human beings like myself :)

31. carking1996

carking1996

Well, ya gonna show us the webplayer, Ravel? Can't decide to buy without seeing it we like it. :p

32. Ravel

Ravel

working on a public webplayer. At the moment I can send offline demos to those who are interested. Carking1996, if youre interested PM'me and I'll send you a demo.

33. pixbo92

pixbo92

Sent you a PM for about a week ago. Still unread (and, not that hard to guess then - I haven't gotten any reply ;) ). I've seen you online a quite a few times since then, so now I'am just wondering if I somehow managed to screw up with the PM, or if there's any delay or something with the offline demo.

While I'am still at it, I might just aswell ask one question that I forgot in my PM:
    Does the demo have full compatibility with a Logitech G25/G27? If I'am not mistaken from your old webplayer, steering, throttle, brake and clutch pedal worked fine. But there wasn't an option to change gears without using "A" and "Z" - which unfortunally isn't possible for me to do meanwhile driving in my rig. Not really that much of a big deal, as there was an option to use automatic gearbox. But for testing out the transmission, clutch and engine solutions (how much of a difference heel-and-toe does etc), it would be awesome if we (or atleast it would be awesome for those of us who have either of those steering wheels xD) could get the option to change gear either via the paddles or H-shifter. For just testing heal-and-toe, it would be prefered to test it with a H-shifter, but if there isn't any support for that yet, it's by no means necessary. I figured that the paddles would be pretty easy to fix (if it ain't fixed already - was a long time since I was able to test it), by just putting it in as secondary input for what atleast was the "A" and "Z" key.

34. Ravel

Ravel

Dear pixbo92, I quess I forgot to anwser you, because I got a plenty of pm's to anwser. The current demo has an automatic detection of g27 and a configuration file to configure the inputs. There is also and automatic detection of a wireles xbox controller. All of those selections can be done in the pause menu. But if you switch on the ffb without G27 you are going to crash the application.

As for H- gearbox, it should work fine. But I think I messed something up in the demo because I remember one of my tester's saying that he cant use the manual gearbox option. Will try this out and send you the demo.

35. Pulov

Pulov

Hey Ravel, is it ok for you if we post videos and coments of the demos here in public?

36. bizilux1

bizilux1

yes post a demo here...

37. Pulov

Pulov

Well, here goes a video

its driven with the keyboard. Unfortunatelly my pad does not control the steering correctly, it happens to me with all unity games.

I've a G-25 but its in the box, if this weekend I've a moment I'll give it a try.

To me it is pretty amazing, but I believe there are a couple of bugs hiden somewhere that ruin the experience a bit.

The car setup is not the original of the demo, is the ressult of me messing in teh parameters to see how they affect.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  38. Djiel

Djiel

I like the AE86 demo, it drives pretty nice.
    I tried the drift demo with the E46 and I can't really pull it off.. too hard for me, at least with keyboard haha. Tried swapping the car config, but this gave really weird gearing results. Have not tried messing with it further.

One thing I have noticed, is that it's really hard to get oversteer, which shouldn't be the case with a car like the M3. It's visible in Pulov's video, quite well.
    The car just understeers and grips.

http://youtu.be/x-8JLMdhLPo?t=2m2s
    ^Forza clip, check a few seconds in. This kind of oversteer and countersteering is the best driving feeling I've had in any game so far. The oversteer is smooth and the countering is easy to do.
    As long as MoDyEn can do this, you have a customer.

PS. Props on the collisions! Finally not the type that frustrate the hell out of you. Good work on those :)

39. Pulov

Pulov

Totally agree on teh understeer issue and the lack of oversteering. I think I saw a parameter related to this. I wonder if these things are matter of car config or are result of problems in the physics. I'll try to mess with params to see if I can get it closer to what would be spected.

40. Ravel

Ravel

The gearing issue was because of the clutch torque capacity being to small ( this can be changed in the car definition files) But I've sent both of you a new demo that should have fixed the bugs.

The demo has a grip atack setup AE86. Making a drift setup is fairly easy. Just switch the engine and tires in the car definition file. Suspension can be left the same, because it's allready on coilovers.

The previous demos with ae86 and m3 had some load calculation issues causing uncontrollable oversteer with steering under braking.

In my personal opinion I can do cars that behave similar with Forza4, my experience goes with xbox360 controller. Since I'm mostly working with G27 and havent tryed forza4 with it I cant confirm if the behaviour is the same. But the behaviour feels really simmilar to my real life experience with my e34 on coilovers. So I dont know if I should follow a game or reality. I suspect I'll follow the reality :D.

For all you others wh oare interested in the public demo. I can say that I'm getting really really close with this. Once the public demo is out the product is ready.

41. Pulov

Pulov

Uff, the new demo feels really good!, much more playable, also, the engine not being a super powerfull machine on steroids, helps.

Here a video, excuse my crappy keyboard driving.

I'll try to make another vid during weekend, I did it quicly cause I had to go back to work.

42. Alex_V

Alex_V

This demo really feels nicer, I do need to set up my wheel to less than 900º and my driving with chase cam is pretty bad :)

43. Ravel

Ravel

Hey Alex, instead of decreasing wheel steering angle you can increase wheel steering angle, its 33 in the car definition file, set it to something like 50 maybe to get a more precise steering with a 900 deg wheel.

44. Pulov

Pulov

A couple of vids I made, the first run is really bad from my part on the second vid, but also Its the thing I dont like from teh actual demo, its that I dont feel confortable at the curves and I enter them with fear because to me the grip is not hte way I would expect. But overall its an amazing tech demo, I hope is soon released as public beta and people can share their thoughts.

45. Ravel

Ravel

The grip issue should be car configuration related, the ae86 setup was gripier, the M3 had a pretty quick and dirty job on the configuration side.
    I will work on a setup wich would be in balance with the ultra grippy ae86 and a drift car, something that would be fun to drive.
    funny thing is that in your video I see oversteer beeing the issue, but for me the car had a understeer issue lol. Maybe you have some revs older demo than my source is, and I probably fixed something

...oh I think you had drift tires enabled on that demo. You may also check If Dyno works correctly to ensure that Correct engine data gets loaded. Hit f4 to see the engine data.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  46. Pulov

Pulov

Lol,

OK, I'll unzip fresh stuff just in case I had touched something, which might be the case. But, that said, with the fresh demo, I really did not feel confortable at all at the corners.

47. Djiel

Djiel

Could someone with more cartech know-how enlighten me how I could achieve a result similar to what I've previously linked from the Forza video?
    In other words, more obvious oversteer that is forgiving yet not arcadey.

48. Ravel

Ravel

Just to inform you al, I just made some dramatic changes to the way the whole simulation is done, as an experiment, and it seems that the simulation went more stable than it was before. I'll do some more testing with this, and send out some private demos to some testers. This method basically is better cpu wise aswell.

The advantage I personally found was that braking went alot better and there is believable body roll, when previously it was minimal with stable car setup (the ae86 stup for example, it was griping nuts and enjoyable driving wise, but there was minimal bodyroll wich wasnt so realistic).

Stay tuned for the public demo soon!

Djiel, the physics in Forza I suspect are a bit hacked, when I set the rigidbody angular drag higher the simulation behaved Forza like, but thats not entirely realistic. Also you can acheve something similar with my physics, when setting the inertia factor from 1.0 to 2.0 (in the car definition file, this is how I did all the drifting before, felt good with xbox360 controller, but with a steering wheel you will probably find the point where this is not realistic.)

I wish I could use my G27 with xbox (without a adapter unit) so I could inspect on how it actually feels compared to rFactor.

49. Djiel

Djiel

Thanks Ravel, I will give that a try.
    It may not be entirely realistic, but it's the type of driving I'm looking for :)

Keep up the good work, looking forward to further updates.

50. Pulov

Pulov

Ravel>> drop a couple of lines for updating the project>>>