Search Unity

Motorsports Dynamics Engine a.k.a. MoDyEn.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ravel, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Ravel

Ravel

Thanks! Yeah I'm aiming at shifts visuals :) I'm also using shifts media at some point as placeholders, this is one of the rerasons holding the demo back, I have to get some high quality media for the demo :D
    Well about those chicks I could add a sprite chick for lol's like in the oldschool games, where you had sprite based graphics haha.

I built a custom wheel collider.
    The physics back will not be for free, ive spent a hole fortune of time heart into it
    yeah the physics will work in indie, but the final pack wount work at its finest, because it has post processing effects, tho I might make those for indie to, got an idea of a user here using raycasting for stuff like that, but that would extend the release date :D but physics will work in indie (without forcefeedback, tho there is a hack to use dll's in indie also)

Here is a screenshot of multiple images form the replay manager that i got finished 90%, just needto add the input for effect controller.

2. Pulov

Pulov

Hey>_>

nice screens.. as usuall

---------------------
    Some comments.

Silly one but... the text in the replay control bar fits in a really tight manner, you might consider lowering the size or giving more space.
    May be, would be graphically better if the replay gray strip did cover all the screen from left to right instead of being a floating one with a back floating button.

The DOF seems to be generating some kind of bizarre effects, is this new? is due to combinatios with other filters?. Image1 topleft is a sample of what I mean.

Another silly one, your driver seems to have taken too much cofee, adding a shield to the helmet would help to solve this....
    Adding some stickers to the clothes would be cool too.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Mark_Smith_racing_driver_CART_1200_px.jpg

Despite of the graphic quality awesomeness, the shots even at probable high speed , look a bit static, for the future, and absolutely no need to be in the first release, it would be desirable a motion blur effect such as
    http://pds6.egloos.com/pds/200710/18/79/b0012379_4716bbe1d787b.jpg
    http://images.gamersyde.com/misc/pgr4.png
    posible?

_>>>---------------<<<-<< cant wait for your next video release... :eek:

3. Pulov

Pulov

Ammm, also..

It would be cool if you could share with us the way you introduce the car specs in the system ( or how its planned), and also tell us about what parameters define the car.

It would be quite hot if we could introduce the torque curve via xy points or graphically to try to mimic real cars engine performance.

Also if you introduce this parameter via the unity properties window or if you have a sepparate window for introducing this stuff or if this stuff is stored in an external text file wich we could fill using a DB manager such access or so by exporting the data etc..>_

If you ahve a moment you could make a vid on how you set up a car to see if there could be any point of improvement on the workflow or so...

just some ideas. _>

kind regards.--->

4. Ravel

Ravel

Thanks! The odd effect is caused by my custom alpha shaders to suport shadow's, this has caused an extra layer wich makes it odd in depth :D

Well the configuration files are about the same as rFactor(car deffinition file and engine torque curve, holding engine braking, torque and rpm position, right now its limited to 20 points but will make it unlimited), a new curve editor is also in the works, thus a new telemetry screen to come in also, the new advanced tuning option is also in for realtime changes. Seting up a car video would be awesome, great idea! Wil ldo that once controllers structure is a bit better.

Well the driver model is from Vdrift, as a placeholder, just to have something haha, might do some texture work.

Motion blur will be done sometime, because it needs a bit ofa different approach then a simple motion blur.

5. PhantomKnight

PhantomKnight

I AM looking at a video game, right? Gosh, games these days. I don't even know sometimes.

6. Veqtor

Veqtor

Really great to see a drifting game in progress. I hope you'll go a route where there's loads of customization options. Will there be multiplayer capabilities?

7. Roylen

Roylen

Oh the replay system looks Awesome!!...Could you add a Hide Replay Panel button and free camera (which can fly with wasd)... Love to make my own replay movies!!

8. Alex_V

Alex_V

Great stuff once again!

I agree with Roylen, a Hide button would be great.

9. Ravel

Ravel

Yeah well the replay panel was a really qucik access point, have to remake the whole gui anyways.
    And anyway, this might be the best shot i have ever made of my project:

On this shot i have updated my shaders a litle and some new post processing.

10. Pulov

Pulov

Wow>> tis is sick>>- the car paint shader looks awesome !!! very very very nice shot.

------------------

Comments...
    The rims seem a bit burnt

And something about the driver I was noticing since it appeared but was not sure...
    isn`t it too big? it feels to me as if it was 1,2 scaled. You might consider too giving it darker suit simply by changing its racing suit to something near black so it calls less attention.

http://www.streetwisedrift.com/wp-c...ache/6f0f2_normal_xdc_jersey_0036-500x332.jpg

http://www.motormavens.com/2011/06/coverage-evergreen-drift-pro-am-round-2-formula-drift/

http://site.240sxmotoring.com/images/s14timeattackbuild/cip5.jpg

http://image.superstreetonline.com/...02_o+nissan_240sx_drift_parts+racing_shot.jpg

http://www.motormavens.com/2011/06/coverage-evergreen-drift-pro-am-round-2-formula-drift/

it feels like hitting the roof with the helmet.... it silly but, it takes a couple of kudos to this glorious car shot.

The bonnet and the roof shaders feels like GT-- aaaaa its so awesomeee.e>>_

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  11. Alex_V

Alex_V

Maybe he's just big :)

Since we're commenting shader-awesomeness, I would suggest that the glass windows could be a bit darker opaque and have a bit more of reflection/refraction.

Other than that, we want a demo! :)

12. Roylen

Roylen

Cool!! Haha looks like you already passed NFS Shift visuals :)

Hey wanted to ask about the replay system: Does the replay system just records the position of the car and just plays it as if a motion path or it records the steering input etc. and 'Re-Simulate' it?

And if it Re-Simulates then can the same method be used for ai?

Getting more and more excited for the demo!!:D

13. reddotgames

reddotgames

Dont get me wrong - I love ravels work, and like you, I wait forward to release - but visual is one thing - performance another. And since Unity is mainly used as game engine - those visuals must work super fast.

So question is : will it work or will my computer get on knees with 8 cars on screen :)

14. Roylen

Roylen

Dont worry i think ravel must have put the option to turn off the effects... and i dont think he is using High-Poly models and unity itself handles details nicely so performance cant be a serious problem. What he is trying is to achieve is realistic physics and modern games visuals (NFS Shift as he said) which cannot be achieved if he focuses on low-end rigs...

Btw Ravel could you tell your pc specs?

15. Pulov

Pulov

Oh fridays... finally some time to mess with 3d stuff.

Took the last photo and made some changes.
    -Darkened glass as someone suggested
    -Darkened the driver too.
    -Darker rims
    -Added a bit of noise
    -Background blur.

[/URL][/IMG]
    ///////////////////////
    Hey Ravel>>
    You would be able to build a vid this weekend??_>> I would really love to see the project at current status with some motion..>>

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  16. Ravel

Ravel

Hey guys!

Well about the visuals, the overal lightning works fast but when you add shadows and fsao, it takes a massive performance hit.
    Models that i use are 25k to 50k poly total.
    My laptop specs are i3 2350 2.3ghz
    4gb ram
    nvidia 520gt

So yeah i guess i have a mid range laptop, usually with playable visuals i get 50/60 fps, tho yes indeed when i make the shots, i noch the gfx up, to get the best visuals possible (adding shadows and aa mainly, the other effects are always running)
    I'm doing alot of optimizations for the demo to work as fast as possible with great visuals and believable simulations.
    About the replay, i'm using position/rotation recording method, i'm not doing the ai this way, for ai i'm going to use splines.
    And Pulov, sorry for a late replay, i had my girlfriend over so was off for the weekend, but i'll try to record something this week.
    Heres a new little shot:

17. Pulov

Pulov

Hey>>
    no prob>_>> I'll be amused preparing a couple of exams I've to face next week so if you feel busy messing with code dont bother about creating the vid.>>

But if you've a moment that video will be happilly looped by me because I'm pretty sure its going to blow my mind.

The car looks almost perfect. I've been messing in the blog and found many new interesting images, had missed that one where the config pannel appears, looks very nice. The f1 shot too.

The background DOF issue seems gone, right?.

Just a silly graphic coment, the projected shadow is ultra black and the transition gradient is too short. Would suggest increasing a bit the transparency and increasing the transition gradient betwen light dark.

18. emergki

emergki

Hi Ravel,

Don't you have a little demo to me to test your Car Shader yet?

This is the only thing I'm waiting to buy your shader.

19. Ravel

Ravel

As I'm developing some more stuff on the shaders, they are currently WIP, but sure I'll have a new demo up soon

20. Pulov

Pulov

Hi there,

If there are any news would be great to get an

Regards_>

21. Alex_V

Alex_V

regarding the shaders, will the current ones on the Asset Store be updated with the new stuff you're working on?

22. Roylen

Roylen

Is this project dead? Atleast you should have put a web player....

23. HolBol

HolBol

Just because someone doesn't post in their thread for two weeks doesn't make it a dead project. That's like Rockstar North and GTA V- they took about 9-10 months to release any update past their first trailer. Doesn't mean the project is dead.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  24. Pulov

Pulov

<> I don't even think about this project as dead or so> but as the thread has gone a bit shy lately would be great if you could simply make a quick show >_< to tell us if you've had time to mess with the code, or if you where busy with other stuff or so..

you know.>> just a couple of words_>_

Regards>>

25. iluda15

iluda15

26. Pulov

Pulov

wow, believe me I check that blog quite often >> and had not seen those last posts, It might have been post just before my post or so.

UUu, whell Ravel keep it up >> it must be hard to have to rewrite almost everything but sure that the stuff that goes out of this process will be much more robust than the one before>>

27. Ravel

Ravel

Just to keep things updated, a quick post.

Thanks for your intrest guys, but been super busy with the project and dont have time to post here as often as I used to because I have other things ato do aswell,but I'll keep the blog updated with screens.

A little note about the rewrite, I found 3 issues that I previously had, now got some more of the issues to deal with, but it's coming along nicely.

Someone asked about shaders, The shaders on asset store will receive a update as soon as I finish them v2 version I mean, they will receive some Important updates, also the lightning model is changed, you may have noticed it from the later screens. :)

One thing you guys should also know, that Right now I'm focusing on physics and logics more than the gfx part. Hopefully I'll get a reasonable video with multiple cars working, will also begin with some AI stuff soon.

Anyway thanks for your patience guys. I'm sure you gys will like the next demo. Will have multiple genres in to reflect the capabilityes of MoDyEn, currently I can do road cars, race cars, drift cars, super sports cars. Will try F1 and offroad cars soon, because they require linked suspensions, and suspension Is next on the list.

28. Djiel

Djiel

Shame it's taking longer than expected, but glad to hear it's going well.
    Good thing I'm a patient person :D

Keep up the good work, hope we'll be able to play with it soon.

29. Ravel

Ravel

I have a prototype deadline in the end of november, so at this poitn the full package should also be ready, and if not full, atleast stable and usable.

30. Alex_V

Alex_V

Take your time :)
    I was going to ask you about offroad physics, because none of the packages available have decent behaviour in gravel roads.. :|

31. iluda15

iluda15

Can't wait. This will be a great game to buy too. Oh will you take some car requests?

32. iluda15

iluda15

when are you going to fix the web player?

33. Aderum

Aderum

Amazing!!! I recommend getting it greenlit on steam. I would love to use it for a game :)

34. exerion

exerion

Will MoDyEn run on IOS devices?

35. Ravel

Ravel

I think yes but I dont have such hardware to test, but It's gettign really math heavy because of the race logics and AI logics, so I dont know if iPhones can handle it

36. Ravel

Ravel

Some progress screenshots:

Notice that I have downgraded the Graphics for now. The reason is that I'm trying to optimize everything that the player would get the highest framerates possible.

37. Djiel

Djiel

It's still looking fine anyway, nice work! :)

38. LeagueOfMonkeys

LeagueOfMonkeys

Hi Ravel -

I have been following this thread for many many months now - visiting it atleast every couple of days. Lots of your posts are looking insane and I am in no way putting down any of your hard work but your project seems to lack focus. Are you trying to create a Physics engine that everyone can use or are you trying to make a game with high end visuals the way you want a game to look. What I would love to see is the physics engine becoming available in the near future, I couldn't care less about the shaders or tracks etc - this stuff seems to be taking up dev time. For features like AI just make them updates or seperate tools - just release something and see what people can do with it. Theres got to be a million different styles and ideas you would have never considered - thats what making great dev tools is about - making something accessable, changable so creativity can bloom. Accessable source code so people can tweak that will blow CarX away (with their stupid pricing) for example.

Once again I am not knocking your work - it all looks awesome and demos I have playable are great and have soooo much potential.

The market will define how the Modyen engine grows - stop being so precious and set your baby free.

39. carking1996

carking1996

What's the texture size of that asphalt you got there? It looks nice :)

40. Ravel

Ravel

Hey LeagueOfMonkeys,
    The package is suposed to be about motorsports and covering all the aspects about it, This is why I named It Motorsports Dynamics Engine isntead og Motorsports Physics Engine. But I know that some Devs are interested from the physics only so there will be a standalone physics pack also.

Carking 1996, the textureis 512x512.

41. Roylen

Roylen

Hey Ravel...
    Sorry for calling the project dead..The thread's silence got me frustrated...
    Hope you got over those errors you found.

Had to ask:
    - Are you working alone on this project? Did you make all these 3d models (coz they are all awesome)?
    - Does this engine have an arcade physics mode (having more controllable and easy drifting)?

42. rextr09

rextr09

Awesome, I can't wait to play this. It's also astonishing that you put so many efforts on polishing the environment, although your current focus is the physics.

43. Ravel

Ravel

Roylen, no worries, jsut focused on coding, got rid of some massive errors.
    I'm working alone on the coding side, but the media, some of them are from a prototype that I am working on with a company, some are from nfs shift. For the demo release there will be completely different set of media.
    It doesnt have an arcade mode at this time, but to be honest, withthe right configuration you can get all cars arcade. And about drifting, right now its even easy to drift with a keyboard. Alot of sims over do theyr physics wich make it unrealistically hard to handle. The truth is that with intense steering input (such as keyboard) the car will be controllable, it sure will face understeer or oversteer, depending on the physics setup, but you would not spin out unless you really loose the controll of what you are doing when throttling or braking. This was a case that occured in my previous code also. I overdid the physics, this is why I rewrote most of it in the first place.

rextr09, the environment (if you mean how media cuts it together, hud, lightning, scene) is the most inportant thing when I want to acomplish something. It's what inspires me to my creations alive, mostly I fantasice on how I would see a real car drifting etc. and I want to recreate this. So far things have been good the handling is really good.

44. Pulov

Pulov

I love all the stuff you're showcasing>_>_>

When possible, a video would be awesome, just some raw footage>_>

45. jujunosuke

jujunosuke

Dude, i agree with the first part of your post but i can't let you say that.

@Ravel
    I think that everyone is waiting to try the new online demo, while you are focusing on some features that takes times to develop and are not necessary.
    You can even update them later.

Showing us cool screenshot is very nice but, they are just screenshots and its been a long time people are waiting for a demo...

@LeagueOfMonkeys
    About blow CarX away because you can't edit the source code is totally nonsense to say that.
    CarX already have all the necessary functions for you to edit the car exactly like you want.
    Also, looking at the source won't help because you would probably not be able to understand them anyway..

And CarX price is totally fine when you look at the package they provide.
    CarX has absolutely stunning car physics and have extremely advanced features.
    They even provide an arcade physic model if you want to.

It is also extremely accurate in the calculations and nothing has been simplified as they said.

Anyway, CarX is not the topics but i had to make things clear.

@Ravel
    Anyway, these screens are looking good but please provide us a demo fast :)
    Because you say its good, and i would like to believe you but, you should also consider user feedback and make some modification in order to ameliorate your physic model.

So you should do that now :)
    Good luck !

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  46. hesa2020

hesa2020

Hey dont have time to read all but i want to know if you are going to sell the source code for car physics with like one car models for test ( i like the S15, my favorite car :D )

47. SobhanNina

SobhanNina

How is it Going on Ravel !?
    how long gonna take for the release of your pack ?!
    and the Last Images are Awesome !!! keep the good work

48. Pulov

Pulov

Certainly they're f*k*ng awesome!!
    link

49. Pulov

Pulov

Looks like something is about to happen >>> and now I'm imvolved in the maximun peack of work at the univ. ever.

arrrg__>>__>

can´t wait can´t wait can´t wait

50. Eugene1982

Eugene1982

Hi Ravel, I think if you were to add bikes to your game then it would become a separate game in itself. The physics for motorcycles are vastly different to cars and a lot of time is spent trying to keep the bike upright (especially at high speeds).