Search Unity

Motorsports Dynamics Engine a.k.a. MoDyEn.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ravel, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Djiel

Djiel

Thanks for the update, also the price. 200 is quite a bit, but if the content justifies the price it's all good and so far it appears to do that.
    I hope the demo will show off what we can set for the physics, like bhp/torque ranges and if the car has turbo yes/no etc.
    The webplayer demo from some time ago did have quite a decent car setup feature but we can never tell how much can be set up "behind the scenes" so to speak :)
    Looking forward to further progress, keep it up.

2. Shrm

Shrm

I want to play!

3. Ravel

Ravel

a image to keep things fresh, tho there havent been mutch improvements, the smoke is a bit better. Working on the car selection and configuration system to get new cars in with simple adjustemnts.

4. Ravel

Ravel

So i'm geting close to the release, sorry for being slow on the project, but it seems like everything is coming along nicely now, a little demo is working great so far, needs more tweaking here and there and some little feture adds and changes after that the full package will be released, and physics only package, for those who are only interested of the physics. Overall the demo should be like a small playable game, demonstrating all of the features.

Tho I'm a bit of worried about the media, since i havent finished the tsukuba track and i dont have a good track at the moment.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  5. Pulov

Pulov

I'm so excited about this release.!!!

The University starts in 2 days, hope I can mess with it before it gets so serious that I have to fully focus on it.

Keep up with this fantastic job, almost there!

6. Ravel

Ravel

Thanks man, i also finally got my hands on the r8 that will be the demo car heres a picture of it

7. Pulov

Pulov

Niceeeee.

Mmmm I think that that shot needs a bit of AA :p

//////////////////////////////
    Is it "easy" to rig and tweak cars? could you advance a bit of infor about the workflow? just an sneak peak, or tell us about some incoming features... balbla

8. Ravel

Ravel

and here it is allready racing on the track. And thats it for today (or should i say night, its 2:10 here in 24h system so im starting to talk jiberish :D Goodnight!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  9. Pulov

Pulov

JAJA, last night did not see last post, cause I was also totalled and went to sleep before. :rolleyes:

The track shots looks pretty nice. In the last, front right wheel seems not to touch the ground... The only "issue" I saw.

///////////////////////////////////////////

Lets see what others say, but to me the fact that the circuit model is not finished is much less important than the physycs-logit etc. So personally as far as there is a road, and some road sideways for when I get out the road, is enough for feeling the quality. Further, I think that most of use will swap the track model with our stuff to have a quick custom preview of our projects...

//////////////////////////////////////////

Do you have a planed release date ?¿?¿? [orientative]

10. Ravel

Ravel

Oh i forgot to anwser the other question you asked also, it's rather easy to set up a car with a template, just rig yoru own model into place, load a configuration file, setup the sahders and yorue ready to go and start tweaking the physics. It took me 30 mins to make the r8 as best as possible, mostly it was testing. Well the tire is not touching the ground because of a reason. You cant currently get the sense of speed on this picture, but you can see the smoke trail behind it. I slammed into the corner with 300+km/h, the suspension is stiff and short (maybe a bit to short almost rigid on this image) so you can figure why the wheel is not touching the ground :D It was a high speed corner test and i thought id get a decent picture of it :).
    About the release, well dont want to give promises, so lets stay on DBA state for now.

As for the media, since im aiming at realism it's great to have a real track to get some realistic times, if you know what i mean :) But for now i'l work on some of the other stuff that needs to be done. Basically i got two projects running on this at the moment, so once one is finished, the other will be also.

11. Djiel

Djiel

+1 !!

I'm also spotting better looking reflections on that last picture there, very nice :)

12. dog

dog

Nice.

The project is mainly drift? How about the racing mode or arcade mode ?

Just curious, don't you need a license to use these brands in game like Audi, Ford, etc ?

13. Ravel

Ravel

Thanks, well since I'm not selling the cars nor the media, i dont have to get a license for those, because the Demonstraiton is free, if the demonstration was paid, id have to get a license for the cars. Right now I'm basically doing a favor to the camops by advertising their cars.

This project is not mainly drift, its about motorsports, the quatro for example is a AWD race car, so it's not easy to drift anyways. If you guys want i can record a video of a lap around autopolis track.

14. jujunosuke

jujunosuke

Hum i don't know if you are doing them a favor as you said..

Especially for recent car, it might be more complicated than you think even for a free demonstration.

15. jujunosuke

jujunosuke

I also forgot to say that this project was excellent and Unity pro really helped to achieve better visuals !
    Good job so far.
    But it would be good to see more about the physics actually, because i think that people will buy your pack for that right ?
    A video is good, but a demo would be better of course.

I also wonder how your demo could run on my slow computer.
    Please make some option to customize the graphics, so that way we can disable some graphics options to make it run faster.
    Cheers

16. Ravel

Ravel

Hey jujunosuke, well i might ask from audi what they think when i use theyr car in a demonstration, might get an official licence.
    Anyway, will make a video of a lap around autopolis then. The physics on the R8 are quite the best i've got so far for a modern sports car. The demo will be ready as soon as i get the replay system working again with the ambient effects + those photographic effects for the cameras (witch can be switched of for performanse reasons) So yeah as i allready mentioned switching, there will be a fully customizable options section on the demo, for those who want to enjoy the whoele glory and for those who only want to see how the physics react, i'm also working on a better telemetry system for that. But for now heres a new screenshots:

17. Ravel

Ravel

18. carking1996

carking1996

Looks good. Although the shadows may be a bit dark and the whole scene should have a bit higher ambient light setting. And the road bump map is way too much. Look at other games to figure those out! :)

19. Ravel

Ravel

About the shadows, yeahit got a bit dark, but was testing HDR lightning with dusk setings.
    And there is no bump map :D it's detail map, with specular mask. Testing something new.
    But thanks and yeah i sure am learning from other games, tho sometimes i make quick changes and i forget to tweak them.

20. Pulov

Pulov

I made some coments on youtube..>> wanted to add a comment on the thershold adaptation.

Is about its speed wich IMO is too high and probably too strong, causing overburning some times.

21. Univerb-Gaming

Univerb-Gaming

Ravel, looking really good and congratulate you on getting so far on this. Especially the graphics department! Keeping an eye on this project because it's going places for sure ;)

22. Pulov

Pulov

Hi there,

Last week was pretty intense towards this project, lots of imgs a very nice video and then the calm came in....

Soooo just wanted to know if you had time to work on it and you know, some news in general...

Best Regards>>>

23. skatermichi98

skatermichi98

Are you using wheel colliders for the physics ?

24. Ravel

Ravel

Hi, Was busy on the maintance, rewrote and rearanged alot of the classes, so the code makes more sense and made some research on a better drivetrain system with better robotics. Also converted a new car in for more drift testing, and might say i got the drifting heaps better, here are some shots:

Also added more physical features and made some advancements on the demo. So i'm working hard on it, now got more time to work on the project again.
    I am using custom raycasts at the moment for wheel physics.

25. fano_linux

fano_linux

really good images, some of them remember me NFS. anyway i can't play the webplayer is it active?
    btw good job

26. Ravel

Ravel

Thanks, I'm aiming at nfs shift visuals so thats a compliment :D I got a better smoke working now also

the web player is curently inactive, will be enabled once the demo is ready.

27. skatermichi98

skatermichi98

How much will the lite edition probably cost ?

28. Pulov

Pulov

Hey.>> nice shots>> good you've time to focus on it!!>> my roads are almost ready too 200+ Km!!!>>> <<< I cant wait for driving an sportcar through them>>>

That import tuner is very nice.>btw

29. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Awesome looking Ravel, too bad I cant play your new demo yet :p

30. Univerb-Gaming

Univerb-Gaming

Your shader work and lighting on that 180sx/240sx (can't see the badge) looks brilliant! Keep it up :) Does this render the same in Unity Indie? I've not looked at the eye candy portion of my personal project yet but have a feeling you're using a dash for HDR here and there which I don't yet have access to (saving for Pro).

Smoke effect looks great too - hows the framerate hit in this shot?

Keep it up Ravel!

31. Ravel

Ravel

Hello Univerb Gaming.

Well its a 240sx, this render uses hdr indeed, thats why the smoe is a bit over burnt( i used wrong shaders for smoke), you can get close with unity indie tho, with brighter lightning etc. The framerate is about 60 on my laptop, sometimes drops to 30. All gfx features are maxed out on the shots mostly also.

Thanks, will do my best!

32. Univerb-Gaming

Univerb-Gaming

Very good! And thanks for the information - will play around with this sometime while I save up for Pro!

33. Ravel

Ravel

did some rework on the suspension physics, because found some bad physics code in it, and now the car is a lot better with grip and with more power you can get great drifts with great grip points (where you slide but yet you get some grip to hold the angle).

No more scary drifting, where you get scared "I might loose the angle now". Will record a little video clip if you people want.

34. skatermichi98

skatermichi98

It looks really great hopefully the physics won't be too expensive. How much will it cost ?

35. Ravel

Ravel

I will but the final price out when the demo is released, because there are going to be various models for specific details. So there will be a variety of physics in this package. And there will also be a lite pack for those who are only after the physics( I will keep the price as low as rated to the physics going on).

36. skatermichi98

skatermichi98

So will the lite version contain no car and only the physics or will it contain a example car with the physics?

37. Pulov

Pulov

Video video viiideo :roll:

Hey, a driver came in! No more ghost drifting.

38. Ravel

Ravel

Have not decided on the car, but both will contain a example scene and a tutorial on how to set up a car in MoDyEn in few minutes.
    Will Record a little video soon then. If you want track cam's, It will take longer because I have to make the replaymanager compatible with the changes i have made, but if you want a tyhpical race video that would take less time. So it's up to you Pulov, haha yeah and no more ghost drifting indeed.

39. Pulov

Pulov

Hmmm its really tempting but I`ll be so busy with university this week... it would be very cool to see a race and the replay with track cams.... so from my part I would be ready to wait for the full equip video. X{)

40. Ravel

Ravel

thats cool with me, I've got to sort some bugs out anyways..

41. Djiel

Djiel

A vid would be nice. It's looking great Ravel :D
    Hope we'll be able to mess around with it soon.

42. Ravel

Ravel

Some screens before i go to sleep:

43. skatermichi98

skatermichi98

Will the physics pack also include the visual effects for example smoke and skidmarks

44. rextr09

rextr09

Those screens looks amazing. I can't believe they are achieved with Unity. Good job! Btw, are you going to include licenced cars into the game? I mean with their names and logos.

45. Ravel

Ravel

no the physics pack contains only the physics scripts, and a little example, all of the visual effects will be in the full version, tho I might get some simpler effects in the physics back for just some better visuals.

About licensed cars, I will ask car brand comps on what they think about me advertising one or few cars in my demo. Havent thought on that actually, working on the whole project to get it finished, then i have thinking room for this.

46. HolBol

HolBol

So basically, you get the scripts, but you're left to set it up with your own effects? Sounds good to me.

47. skatermichi98

skatermichi98

Is it compatible with the car tutorials sound controller ?

48. Ravel

Ravel

The final pack includes a much better and advanced sound controller.

49. reddotgames

reddotgames

Ravel looking forward to test it on webplayer - when you will upload new version to play? :)

50. Roylen

Roylen

Hey Ravel I've been following your posts for quite long and MoDyEn is totally awesome and a few screenshots feel like NFS Shift..
    *Once you finish the main stuff id love to see a grid start cutscene like NFS ProStreet with hot girls starting the races :p (will surely add a cherry on the cake lol)

Wanted to ask a few things:
    > Did you use the built in wheel collider or made a custom one?
    > Will the physics pack be free?
    > Will the physics pack work on indie version?

Waiting for new version... Thnx