Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Motorsports Dynamics Engine a.k.a. MoDyEn.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ravel, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Ravel

Ravel

Just came here to address a few issues, that I am currently working on, as mentioned by TooManySugar, the carfx and surface manager, some how slowed things down after the release. I probably made a few mistakes before releasing. It seems like the new versions of Unity are really bad at material handling (visual / mesh surface) Because at the time I did my first 100 car test I had the surface manager working, then I updated to Unity 5.6 and did not stress test the product.

So at the moment I am working on a alternate route to handle materials. because if I scrap the materials, I can run 64 high poly AI cars on a well detailed track at stable 60 fps, even with atmospheric scattering and other GPU and CPU demanding VFX enabled.

I will report back once I get a stable solution.

TooManySugar likes this.
  2. Ravel

Ravel

Here are a few screens of proof, the one with lower fps has probably some collisions going on, since right now I noticed, that when there are collisions, there is a 50% fps drop. This is actually normal atm. since the sound controller is instancing sounds at that moment, I will see if I can optimize that, so that he sounds are instanced at the start and only played once needed. I tried this actually before, but the sounds were muted for some reason, they vere playing and there was a stable performance, but no actual SFX Desktop 05.27.2018 - 17.21.58.03.png Desktop 05.27.2018 - 17.20.14.01.png

TooManySugar likes this.
  3. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Cool. Deep profiling always gives some clues.

I think latest unity has improved profiling too.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  4. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Something I noticed too was that I was getting lets say 300fps but there where some phycical hicukps as if it was running like all of a sudden at 30fps but profiler was not showing theese. I'll wait for next demo to see if they still remain. I can also test the demo you posted and reprot what I find. If you uncap FPS I can report max fps.

Freznosis likes this.
  5. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

And furthermore. May be is worth having an eye on ECS & JobSystem as it is like almost implemented already.

Freznosis likes this.
  6. khos

khos

Hi, do you have any demos/tutorials for the Deformable tires option with your asset, I am looking if this will suite my requirements. Thanks.

7. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Check the deformable tire shader is pretty straight forward what parametter are accesed and what effect they've on the shape.

8. khos

khos

I don't own the asset yet, I want to see it in action/understand it some more if possible.

TooManySugar likes this.
  9. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Notice that aside form the visual part, the very code of the physics are obscured in a dll

10. khos

khos

Ok that is fine of course, I just want to see how it works! :) Is there a video of this in action?

11. user099

user099

there is a small error in the CarExternalConfiguration.cs that loading the mass of the wheels not correctly:

Code (CSharp):
    1. // results 1
    2.         wheels.mass = parser.ParseFloat(wheelSection, "Mass", 20);
    3.         wheels.mass = parser.ParseFloat(wheelSection, "SpinInertia", 1.5f);
    4.         wheels.radius = parser.ParseFloat(wheelSection, "Radius", 0.3f);
    5.         wheels.rollingResistance = parser.ParseFloat(wheelSection, "Rollingcoeff", 0.02f);
    change to:

Code (CSharp):
    1. // results 1
    2.         wheels.mass = parser.ParseFloat(wheelSection, "Mass", 20);
    3.         wheels.inertia = parser.ParseFloat(wheelSection, "SpinInertia", 1.5f);
    4.         wheels.radius = parser.ParseFloat(wheelSection, "Radius", 0.3f);
    5.         wheels.rollingResistance = parser.ParseFloat(wheelSection, "Rollingcoeff", 0.02f);

TooManySugar likes this.
  12. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Lol I had to run trough a text comparer, second line wheel.mass is changed by be wheels.inertia

13. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Also I remember that setting net4.x importing car specs from file would crash, in 2018.3 net4.x is the one only available so may be worth giving it a look, may be is hwat you pointed, I'm not working on the racing prototype anymore so I can not test now.

14. furkan4156

furkan4156

any updates ? poor performance :/

15. Back_Buffer

Back_Buffer

Thanks for this fantastic system, here are some tests :)

16. WalterEspinar

WalterEspinar

What´s your unity version??

17. FurkanYasar41

FurkanYasar41

any updates ? ı am waiting new version :/

18. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

Package is removed :eek:

19. Freznosis

Freznosis

Are you surprised? The author barely updated the asset and barely provided support for all the years it's been out. It's never worked right and since it's a .dll, you are now screwed because you don't have the source. Many of us saw this disaster coming from a mile away.

20. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

I don't know now, I tried the demo and dll didn't work properly then put a new dll and it worked but i wanted to buy it and then i see it is deleted and the question is going to be a newer asset ?

21. Ravel

Ravel

Hello there,
    I cannot help it but face the fact, that this project is no longer available though unity and it's services.
    If you still wish to contribute to the project, you can contact me directly.
    I also got declined from the asset store once again with a more lighter version of the physics. So I decided to post the package on the projects facebook page

I am very sorry!
    But I cant work out of thin air & love, I don't have a income, my job applications are turned down, my packages are rejected in unity's asset store.

So professionally speaking, this project has come to an end. (I Hate to say so, but you leave me no other option, last two years have been seriously damaging)

If you wish to save this project, then please contact me.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Fibonaccov likes this.
  22. Ravel

Ravel

Hello there.

Despite the last post, I have still been active on the project, as my personal wish is to deliver.
    You can support me by simply downloading the mobile demo here for free! And let me know what you think of it, how it handles and all.

It's a downgraded version of the pc demo:

.. if the above link does not work, try the direct link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibwonypg1edu7l2/Demo.apk?dl=0

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  23. CoderPro

CoderPro

The mobile version would be great if it is support for accelerometer control. Steer left and right are quite difficult.