Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MotionMuse : A simple 3D character animation tool

Discussion in 'Animation' started by pawanharish, Jan 3, 2020.

1. pawanharish

pawanharish

We have been working on an easy to use character animation tool, MotionMuse, and are seeking user feedback and suggestions. The tool is currently under beta testing and free to download at:

https://www.munianim.com/

It combines full body IK with an easy to use spline based sketching for easy posing of 3D characters. It supports FBX import and export for easy integration into Unity and other engines. A teaser video can be found at:

And a quick and dirty animation at:

We look forward to user participation, suggestions and/or critical feedback. Thank you.

Acissathar and wetcircuit like this.
  2. pawanharish

pawanharish

Ghosting has been added to MotionMuse in the latest release, Version 0.2.3. MotionMuse is an easy to use 3D character animation tool currently in beta.

Feel free to download and test it out at: https://munianim.com

3. pawanharish

pawanharish

MotionMuse version 0.2.6 now with OpenCL IK Solver and other new features is out now. Download for free at:

https://munianim.com

4. pawanharish

pawanharish

We've been working on an intuitive Motion Editing technique. Have a peek and give us your feedback.

MotionMuse is free to download at: https://munianim.com

5. pawanharish

pawanharish

MotionMuse Version 0.3.0 with Motion Editing (experimental) is available now.

MotionEditing.gif

MotionMuse is free to download at: https://munianim.com

bobadi likes this.
  6. bobadi

bobadi

very nice. I couldn't run Cascadeur on my comp, but this tool runs alright.

this is how I picture an animation tool should look, I like the interface.

couple things that don't work for me:
    1. cannot change the start frame (even if I delete the keyframes, they still play)
    2. timeRes doesn't change the timescale

if I can have a feature request:
    I would need something that could make transition from animation to animation, like walking to crouch, but both animation, so the end pose is perfect and in Unity could use the other animations from the crouch pose

I see MotionMuse can already import second animation into the scene (though the second one is not visualized)

was looking around a bit for the animation curves, so anyone starting with MotionMuse:

have to select TreeView in the Settings
    and select bone

upd.: or click on the joint (stupid me)
    Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  7. pawanharish

pawanharish

Thank you for the input @bobadi, this is very helpful.

Yes, there is a problem in setting the start frame currently, but the TimeRes should work correctly. We'll try and fix the start fame issue in the upcoming release. I'll also try and fix the problem with deleting of keyframes ASAP.

Please note that "Res" is different from "TimeRes", "Res" only sets the Ghosting resolution where as "TimeRes" should scale the entire timeline. Can you please send me screenshot of setting the TimeRes to something other than 1 in a PM or shoot an e-mail at contactme@munianim.com.

I'll try to get this fixed as soon as possible. We are in the process of implementing animation stacks and supporting multiple animations, please allow us sometime as we are a small team.

Update: Also found there is a bug when trying to sketch limbs, will fix this in the next release as well.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  8. eses

eses

Hi @pawanharish

I was thinking about testing this software but after I had installed MotionMuse, I got a registration window. Do you have a separate demo version or do I really have to register some account to try your software?

9. pawanharish

pawanharish

Hi @eses

We just keep a record of beta tester e-mail ids so that we can provide future free usage / discounts etc. to those who have helped us initially. Registering with any e-mail id would do, you'll receive a key in the e-mail. Once the key is activated you should be able to use it offline. We do not spam the email with unnecessary newsletters.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    eses likes this.
  10. eses

eses

Hi @pawanharish

FYI - I tried to register for demo license key (Sunday), but haven't got any e-mail or key yet.

11. pawanharish

pawanharish

Hi @eses
    That is weird, the last registration on the website was on the 18th of September (Friday). I don't know what happed, can you please try and register again. If this does not work, please PM me your email-ID and I'll generate the key for you manually.

eses likes this.
  12. eses

eses

@pawanharish

I actually just e-mailed you... anyway, I can try it again.

13. pawanharish

pawanharish

Hi @eses
    Thanks for trying again. I hope the issue has been resolved. Please feel free to let me know if you encounter any other issues.

eses likes this.
  14. pawanharish

pawanharish

We've just released version 0.3.1, it fixes most of the issues raised by @bobadi (thanks again) along with multiple other bug fixes. The animation stack is not implemented and is still work in progress.

The new version is available to download at: https://munianim.com

15. bobadi

bobadi

hi, pawanharish
    it looks like something's wrong with the 0.3.1 installer.
    motionmuse0.31.jpg
    downloaded twice
    motionmuse031s.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    pawanharish likes this.
  16. pawanharish

pawanharish

Thank you @bobadi, I'll see what is going on here as we've never encountered this issue. In any case please try the usual measures like instructing your antivirus, firewall, malware etc to allow MotionMuse (after scanning the exe of course). If the problem still persists please use one of the older archived versions. We'll we get this fixed ASAP.

17. pawanharish

pawanharish

Hi @bobadi, we cannot reproduce the issue. This error is usually associated if a download accelerator is used, but since your MSI size matches the installer's I don't think that is the problem. We tested on 3 systems with Windows 10 and Windows 7 pro, but were unable to see the popup. Anyways we've added an alternate link to the installer in the version log page, please use that instead (without a downloader hopefully). If this also does not work I'll try and PM you another link.

https://www.munianim.com/motionmuse-version-log/

Your browser may treat the alternate link MSI as a threat, as it not an official part of the website.

18. pawanharish

pawanharish

MotionMuse Version 0.3.2 is available now. Animation stack Import and export is now supported, with on the fly switching between existing animations. Download for free and test it out:

AnimStack.gif

19. bobadi

bobadi

great! installed and working.

but some issues:
    - when I have TransX TransY TransZ switched off and
    move the key in the KeyEditor, the TransX TransY TransZ switch back on.

- I cannot do multi-editing in the KeyEditor.
    how did you do that you edit the keys in the main window? comment #5

- this I don't understand, looks like there are keys between keyframes (imported animation)?
    and if I move them, cannot move them back.
    keys.gif
    also
    keys2.gif

- still can't play the animation slower

try out animations like filmstorm's free samples
    and see if you run into into issues modifying them.
    I'd really like to see this improve. very cool software.

pawanharish likes this.
  20. pawanharish

pawanharish

Thanks @bobadi, this is very helpful, please keep them coming :)

- when I have TransX TransY TransZ switched off...they switch back on
    You are right the Trans and Rot switches do toggle back on, we've know this issue for sometime now and are working to get it fixed.

- I cannot do multi-editing in the KeyEditor.
    The Motion Editing has its own panel on the right where you can enable the trajectories for any Joint. It does not represent the keys in the viewport but rather its a motion path where the control points are fit on to the generated path (based on the slider value). Once you move the control point or the entire trajectory (using the purple box) the keys of all the participating joints are automatically adjusted. Please see https://www.munianim.com/knowledge-base/motion-editing/ for a better description than this :)

- this I don't understand, looks like there are keys between keyframes (imported animation)?
    Moving a key will not move past the previous or next key, also unfortunately we don't have the option to disable snapping to the closest time yet (but will add it later). You can always undo the operation to get to the previous position. You'll have to decrease the TimeRes to get a narrower snapping to adjust the keys more slowly, not ideal I know, but we'll fix it soon.

- still can't play the animation slower
    To play the animation slowly simply adjust the TimeRes to something like 0.1 and move using the Go forward/back by one frame buttons like this.

Update : Now that I see it maybe the button icons are not representative of what they are suppose to do (we'll have to re-evaluate them)

SlowSpeed.gif

21. bobadi

bobadi

oh, I see what the timeRes is for now.
    it doesn't work for me unfortunately, I'll post a gif later.

the buttons are fine, just the play needs to be hooked up with timeres.
    maybe the keyframes need a separate field and all buttons follow that (?)
    no, the time is already keyframe-based, but the keys are half (of timeRes)
    Clipboard03.jpg

the documentation is a big help. couple things didn't notice at first, but really cool features there.

keys3_.gif

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    pawanharish likes this.
  22. bobadi

bobadi

this is extra cool, 8th frame, right forearm curve
    cool.jpg

you see the glitch in the editor, those curvesections would need to be mirrored and positioned I guess
    maybe a (timeline's) curveEditing in the settings?
    tried FK manually but did it put more keyframes for one timepoint? (I used the key icon)
    ktime.jpg
    working w IK was kinda hard, didn't do what I wanted

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    pawanharish likes this.
  23. pawanharish

pawanharish

Thanks for the feedback @bobadi, I cannot believe you are still having issues with TimeRes. TimeRes is essential for the type of editing you are doing. Just FYI, press enter after editing the field otherwise it will not register, you would also see a message in the right messagebox saying "Timeline resolution set to: newvalue". Anyways, I'll see what is causing the problem and get it fixed ASAP.

The playback speed is based on the TimeRes value, a lower value will slow the playback and a higher value will speed it up.

The glitch you see in the KeyEditor is due to converting Quaternions to Euler angles, which is not always unique. We are working on fixing this but it may take sometime (as it is a mathematical issue and not a coding error), however, the animation should not be affected by this and should play smoothly.

I'm a bit perplexed by two keys being created at the same time point, this should not happen, the key should just update its value if already present. This, however, can appear to happen if there is a small time difference between the key time points. For example if a key exists at 39.95 and the time slider is at 40.0 then pressing the create key will create a new key at 40.0. To avoid this please use the move to previous / next key buttons so that you are exactly at 39.95 instead of 40.0 (note that the frame slider will snap to the closest time point when manually adjusting, you'll have to use the go to next/previous keys buttons to get it on an intermediate time point). Since we load an animation directly into MotionMuse there can be many such cases where the loaded keys lie at intermediate time points, this is why TimeRes is so important.

Can you please elaborate more on what you found difficult regarding the IK and we'll surely try to fix it. Our IK is a bit different (its a full body IK as opposed to limb based IKs) and may appear unfamiliar initially to a veteran like yourself, but it is designed to be easily accessible for newcomers. Please do let me know and I will definitely look into this.

I also found a problem when exporting the filmstorm characters and will try and get it fixed as well.

bobadi likes this.
  24. bobadi

bobadi

press enter

that was it :) and now it plays slower too.

the glitch

no, that's in the original animation, I'm trying to correct.

IK

dont know, maybe the handling. felt a bit crammed with the curve left on screen, positioning and clicking... (I just started twiddlin w animation not much previous experience)
    seen Akeytsu and fragMotion has a separate positioning/rotating ball, might be more precise using something like that than mouse

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    pawanharish likes this.
  25. pawanharish

pawanharish

Thanks @bobadi, great the TimeRes works now :). The glitch is still due to our Quaternion->Euler angle conversion, this can still happen when loading an animation (the animation will play smoothly though). We'll try and get it fixed ASAP. Please do play around with the IK and let me know if it behaves weirdly, currently we only have gizmos, and they can behave weird at oblique angles. Especially the rotate gizmo can be hard to adjust if the ring being adjusted is at a highly slanting angle. If this is causing the issue we can adjust the sensitivity to have a smoother experience.

26. pawanharish

pawanharish

MotionMuse Version 0.3.3 with improved curve editor and better stability is now available for download at:

KeyEditor.png

27. pawanharish

pawanharish

Wishing everyone a Happy new year! MotionMuse version 0.3.4 with multiple new improvements and features is now available for free download at https://munianim.com

Untitled.gif

majorgrubert likes this.
  28. pawanharish

pawanharish

MotionMuse Version 0.3.5 with better animation import, export and new improvements is now available for free download at: https://munianim.com

This update fixes the import issues (glitches in the imported animation) reported by @bobadi in #21 and #22 along with better animation export (though not perfect).

Gif2_1.gif

29. pawanharish

pawanharish

30. pawanharish

pawanharish

MotionMuse 0.3.7 beta with reworked animation export and other new features is now available for free download :

http://munianim.com

Video7_1.gif

31. pawanharish

pawanharish

New version 0.3.8 with BVH import and FBX binary export available for free download at:

munianim.com

Gif3.gif

32. yokenstein

yokenstein

Do you have plans on making a Unity plugin/asset? It would be useful to have this tool right inside Unity

33. pawanharish

pawanharish

@yokenstein It is in the long term plan to make bridges between various applications so that we can mirror the data from one application to another. This will take some time though and is not an immediate concern.

34. pawanharish

pawanharish

MotionMuse version 0.3.9 available now for free download at:

http://munianim.com

This version brings about multiple under the hood performance improvements, eg: faster loading times and quicker interface. New features will be added in the upcoming versions.

Img1.png

35. pawanharish

pawanharish

Retargeting is coming along nicely, needs more time as it is slightly under-cooked at the moment …

Gif.gif

36. pawanharish

pawanharish

bobadi likes this.
  37. pawanharish

pawanharish

38. bobadi

bobadi

that is great. does that work with different skeleton structure? (something like thighs or shoulders having unusual parent joint)

another thing that would be useful for Unity: since the root is calculated from the hip bone, for root motion character controllers it's pretty much necessary for the root node to be at and follow feet (that circle in Unity's animation inspector). [a workflow that converts animations' root node to be at feet position]

39. pawanharish

pawanharish

Hi @bobadi,

Retargeting should work on different skeletons, but you'll have to experiment with the mapping in case of different thigh and shoulder structures, but mostly it should not be a big issue.

The root problem is a bit more involved. Basically it requires skeletons that have similar roots. For example if you want to target onto a skeleton with root at the foot level, then the source should also have its root at the foot, otherwise you'll get weird results. We are working on fixing this issue in the upcoming releases. A better explanation with limitations of the system is available at:

https://www.munianim.com/knowledge-base/retargeting-transferring-animation/

at the end of the page it provides problematic cases, where retargeting might fail.

40. pawanharish

pawanharish

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  41. pawanharish

pawanharish

Happy new year and best wishes for 2022!

munianim.com

New trailer for MotionMuse:

42. pawanharish

pawanharish

43. yokenstein

yokenstein

I would buy the package if it was possible to use it right within Unity. It would be difficult to animate in an external program, then come back to unity, then go back to the external program to fix changes and so on and so forth etc.

44. pawanharish

pawanharish

@yokenstein Totally agree, it would be hard going back and forth across applications, that is why we have plans to implement bridging mechanisms for popular applications. Unfortunately since we are a very small team, it cannot be our top priority right now, but rest assured we are looking into this.

45. pawanharish

pawanharish

46. pawanharish

pawanharish

MotionMuse Version 1.0.2 now available at:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1837020/MotionMuse

Trial version available at: https://munianim.com

This update brings the feedback system to MotionMuse, a "Rate" button is available at the right had corner of the application in which the user can rate, send feedback, report bugs, and request features directly from the application.

FeedBackVersion2.jpg

47. pawanharish

pawanharish

MotionMuse Version 1.0.3 now available at:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1837020/MotionMuse/

Version 1.0.3 brings GLTF support to MotionMuse, the user can now import GLTF/GLB files, with other formats coming later. There is no support for GLTF export yet, as we will be adding export support for other formats in the future. This update also brings user requested features such as soft selection and import scaling support for characters that are too small.

Full change log : https://www.munianim.com/motionmuse-version-log/

Version1.0.3Release.jpg

48. pawanharish

pawanharish

MotionMuse Version 1.0.4, HotFix for GLTF/GLB is now available at:

Version 1.0.4 is mostly a hotfix for version 1.0.3, and fixes most import problems with GLTF/GLB files. Some problems may still persist as the GLTF standard supports various types of extensions (especially textures and materials) which may not show up/export correctly. We are still working on these issues are will fix them in the upcoming releases.

Full change log at: https://www.munianim.com/motionmuse-version-log/

Version1.0.4.png

49. pawanharish

pawanharish

MotionMuse version 1.0.5 with VRM import and renderer updates is now available at Steam. Version 1.0.5 overhauls the renderer and adds import support for VRM files. This includes inverting the z-axis (i.e. importing in the left handed coordinate system). Most VRM characters are also unshaded, so the renderer now supports unshaded meshes. Order independent rendering is also being implemented (WIP) to properly handle translucent/transparent materials. Export support for these materials/VRM files is currently spotty, we are working on fixing these issues. There are also a lot of under the hood changes in this release such as better textures, faster loading times for longer animations etc, with the full change log available at:

Version1.0.5New.png

50. pawanharish

pawanharish

MotionMuse version 1.0.6 with new features such as Mirroring of IK chains, 3D reference images and a number of new updates is now available at steam

With the trial version available at : https://www.munianim.com/

Version1.0.6.png

Version 1.0.6 implements new features such as mirroring and 3D reference images. Mirroring is a useful tool to quickly pose a character where matching of one body part to another is required. Simply copying, pasting IK chains and applying mirroring on them can quickly achieve this. The user can also adjust the Mirror in the GUI settings with free orientation or axis-aligned options. 3D reference images are also useful for posing. ImageOverlays can be set to 3D (in viewport) and then exactly aligned with the character to quickly trace out a pose using IK and sketching. The full change log is available at:

A short video showing Mirroring in action: